Born This Way - Lady Gaga
7.0

Review this album

1. May 27, 2011
    This album is plain stupid. i don't know how can anyone love this album. i mean, it's overproduced and it's messy from the first song to the last one. she tried to bring across a message to young people to feel confident and to be yourselves, but literally failed on that. no one can relate to it just because it lacks emotion and originality. the hype she created about her new work and her so-called art, actually backfired cause she can't deliver. it's obvious that she tries too hard. the stories are all similar, and what she came out with is an old electro-techno-pop-saxophone(really gaga?)-80's tune that sounds, well, cheesy. it's tacky and tasteless, it's all over the place. and it feels rather like a collection of rip off than an album of the decade. there's no stand out tracks nor there are highlights. her hardcore fans will love it and call it "master piece", "epic" "best album ever", but in the eyes and ears of everyday music followers and lovers this is pure rubbish. she won't get new fans, instead, she'll lose some of them. i mean, she lost one follower, and that one is me. i think that many people feel just like i do about her sophomore effort. if she only took more time to write and to generate some better ideas, i think it would sound much better and more fresh than this played out auto tune music. names to the songs are laughable. she uses many times the word 'tonight', 'fashion'. lazy songwriter much? I've noticed that the choruses sound the same and the song 'fashion of his love' sounds like Whitney's 'i wanna dance with somebody'. Awkward! i'm sorry but gaga will probably never have an album of the decade. Expand
  2. May 23, 2011
    Disgusting... sick and boring, all the songs sound exactly the same... But for her freaking monsters, It will be "OMG the best album of the century"... they're too blind to see reality, hopefully I can see one or two wakening up... Thank God I've seen critics giving the reviews this disgusting album deserves... I'm not in love with Gaga, I won't ever be and this album SUCKS!
  3. May 23, 2011
    Unbelievable disappointing, but it still has a couple of tracks that shows that Lady Gaga has something to say: "Government Hooker" and "Hair". The worst song of Gaga in this album and in her whole career is "Born This Way", which has no sense and without any rhetoric in it. Judas, the second single, climb a little in quality, but it's not a "Bad Romance" or a "Just Dance" (this last, the best song of Gaga). Expand
  4. May 24, 2011
    All the chorus' and underlying beats sound the same, cohesive, but the same. A lot of anticipation was built up for this album as she garnered it the "Album of the Decade"... Didn't live up to her own conceited hype. Oh yeah, and I thought Madonna released this album 20 years ago?
  5. May 25, 2011
    People say the bad critical reviews are from unprofessional critics but one thing you ought to know is that, if the reviews were unprofessional, metacritic won't summit it to their website !!! Facts !!!!
    Secondly, The silliness of hype, anticipation and mediocre never fails to astound.
    I listened to this album yesterday, i left it on replay the whole night while i was doing some work and
    up till now am yet to understand the whole concept of the album. All the songs sounds exactly the same. Expand
  6. May 23, 2011
    This is a really poor album. There are approximately 4 good songs out of 14 here. The rest are a bunch of club bangers that range from awful to just below mediocre. I just can't recommend this to anyone, and I don't see the hype.
  7. May 24, 2011
    @ cliff55: tiny mix tapes giving this a zero does not mean they are unprofessional, their review was far well written than 70% of the other critics here.
  8. May 23, 2011
    All the chorus' sound the same. Few great tracks. Some don't even cut mediocre. Too many similar themes - i'm sure the unicorn one is just an extension of Marry the Night. Judas and Government Hooker stand out amongst numerous 80's b-sides.
  9. Aug 1, 2011
    I've changed my mind. Definitely a 0
  10. May 23, 2011
    While her vocals are a strong point, everything else is bland, repetitive, and unoriginal. Worst-written album of the year by far. Filled with cliche banalities that should make even the most dedicated little monster shudder.
  11. May 26, 2011
    LAME. just as the boring bimbo who released it.
  12. Mar 19, 2012
    Very few noteworthy songs. The album is far too pretentious and fails to deliver the catchy dance anthems which fans and critics had come to love. The singles were far too simple, there are a few songs which save the album, Edge Of Glory + Scheisse for example. Worth a listen but don't buy into the hype.
  13. May 28, 2011
    i personally think that this album is absolutely ridiculous. from the names of the songs, that can easily come from a child, to the production, oh, i mean over-production, then from the poor songwriting and similarity with other popular songs to repetitive concept on the album. it's a wreck. a music disaster. a collection of dumb songs for deaf teenagers who blindly worship their idol to the max. poor poor poor. it's not worth buying. actually it's not even worth free downloading. it's terrible. Expand
  14. May 30, 2011
    There are way too many cheesy moments for me on this album. And not good cheesy either. Its like she thought too hard to be cheesy. Melodies that remind me of a bad Cher or Celine Dion rip off (forget Madonna comparisons, i hear the cheesiness of Cher - and not even as good as Cher). Another thing that bothers me is that she shouts a little too much now when she sings.. Please Gaga, stop shouting. Your voice isn't that bad, you don't need to "shout sing". And too much "awwwwwing". Seriously, it ruins so many of her songs, the little tricks she has to do on every single song. I cannot believe she called this the "album of the decade"... it is a mess. Terrible lyrics as well. Expand
  15. Oct 24, 2011
    The second studio album by Lady Gaga is as awful and cheap as the image on its cover. It is such a messy collection of overproduced dance routines that I cannot stop wondering how come so many people have fallen for it. Even if the songs start with some clever ideas (like Bloody Mary), they soon turn into unbearable generic nightmares. They say that she can sing. OMG but this is what one expectes from a singer, dumbass. And all the cultural and societal allusions are as limited as the subjects Gaga touches on. And finally, there is nothing original about her: she just borrows from freaking everyone. Ask yourself a question: would you ever care about her if she hadnâ Expand
  16. Jun 30, 2011
    This is an inconsistent mess. Really GaGa? This is NOT the "Album of the Decade" as she so claimed it would be. Only song that is good is The Edge of Glory
  17. Jun 29, 2011
    Uh wtf is this gaga? were you the one that came up with the fame?? Doesn't seem like it anymore, trash musi is what this is, sorry, not a monster anymore 'til you come up with something good again.
  18. Jun 30, 2011
    GAGA GAGA GAGA! I loved The Fame and for its fun dance beats and catchy hooks. Born This Way falls flat on both accounts sadly. I highly anticipated this album but upon listening several times, it falls flat. There's no sense of progression with this record. No sense of Lady Gaga. It almost feels impersonal. As if her only concern was upholding the facade that is her image. There is also a sense of trying to please everyone but in affect she falls short of pleasing anyone except her most loyal fans, those who can't see beyond the crazy that is her image. She's so adamant about making a statement that she's neglecting the true essence of the music. Tracks like Born This Way and Edge of Glory are catchy enough after a few spins but other songs Government Hooker and Marry the Night fall flat. There's no innovation here. Better luck next time. Expand
  19. Aug 19, 2011
    What a let-down... GaGa said this was going to be the 'Album of the Decade.' Well it is FAR from that. Only song that is good is 'The Edge of Glory.' I think GaGa tried too hard with this record.
  20. Jan 13, 2012
    The most fussed-over album of the last year, it is a big break in Lady Gaga's carreer. It has not the fresh of "The Fame", and is a little bit disappointing. It's a real production mess, all the songs do not mach with each other, but they all have something in common: they sound being recorded in the middle of a highway full of motocycles. Even the spiritual purpose of Love Youserlf in the songs sound fake, actually rubbish. It's not the album of the decade, as she said, as it's not even the album of the past year. Expand
  21. Jun 2, 2011
    Vocally, it was fine, but there is something in her voice that doesn't fit to the song. The song, lyrically, was really bad... it was horrible and disturbing. Although there was a message in it, it wasn't enough- vocally and musically- to bring it to life. Lady Gaga is a really good singer and I know she will bring something explosive to the music industry but this is not the song that blew me away. So disappointing...................... Expand
  22. Jun 14, 2011
    While her first album was enjoyable, this effort seems... well, like no effort was put into it. The songs are generic and the shock factor is hardly shocking. The lyrics are so bad that in some instances, they derail a song that features a decent melody. If she spent more time being a singer and less time shocking the world with her odd-ball presence, this album would undoubtedly be a gem. Unfortunately it is not, thus showing where her focus truly lies. Expand
  23. Jun 19, 2011
    Lady Gaga the one-hit wonder. This girl is the luckiest celebrity of all times i swear because she's the most overrated. Well, its good to be overrated rather than being underpaid but this is a trash material(Already disposed mine...Thank God it was only 99cent)
  24. Jul 1, 2011
    This album sounds like the work of a follower and not a leader. Whereas The Fame and The Fame Monster were guilty pleasures, Born This Way is simply torture.
  25. Jun 30, 2011
    Its not memorable in the slightest to me. Outside of Bloody Mary and a few other key tracks there is nothing that makes me wan to listen to this album more than one week at most. She peaked with The Fame Monster!
  26. Jun 29, 2011
  27. Jul 5, 2011
    The sound is quite unique, but for an artist who puts so much emphasis on the quality of her songwriting it is quite mundane. All the tracks are so heavy that they seem to be mostly loud noise with little bits of rhythm and hooks in between. You can barely make out the lyrics of some songs and overall a lot of it is just muddled. This album was saved only by it's catchy hooks. She relies too much on her persona. She is talented but this album does not showcase that well. Expand
  28. Sep 19, 2011
    Being not a Gaga hater but agreeing on the point that she always tries too hard, I think this album totally lacks the edge that her first album really had. A step backward. My ears cannot listen to anything amazing here.
  29. Mar 27, 2012
    This album is one of those shocking-to-be-shocking albums, I literally can't tell the difference between the songs and almost every chorus begins with an "I'm"! I'm gonna marry the night, I'm on the edge of glory, I'm beautiful in my way, I'm just a holy fool.... She's become such an ego maniac, the songs are loud, lyrics are plain stupid, it's nothing but a big mess!
  30. Aug 3, 2012
    Tired, repetitive, generic album. The only people who can enjoy this terrible album are her Little Monsters. The only song that keeps me from giving the album a zero is The Edge of Glory.

1. Aug 8, 2011
    Born This Way feels like the first proper Lady Gaga album. [Aug. 2011, p. 114]
  2. Jul 6, 2011
    Gaga has always been able to anchor her haughty conceptual undertakings with simple, catchy tunes, but with Born This Way, the persona and the message are starting to bleed into the songs. It's not a good look.
  3. Jun 24, 2011
    Yet, for all of GaGa's flamboyance, there was a humanity in her most memorable work that inspired a devotion in her legions of fans that went far beyond vigorous dance floor workouts. On Born This Way the quirky vulnerability is often lost behind the massive productions.