Born to Die - Lana Del Rey
8.3

Review this album

1. May 19, 2012
    The production is the greatest aspect of this album. It is really good ("Carmen", "National Anthem"). However, the themes on this album range get very repetitive very fast. Del Rey attempts to present herself as a singer with substance. It's obvious that she's trying to say something with this album. However, you can't take her seriously with phrases like 'money is the reason we exist/everybody knows it/it's a fact, kiss-kiss'.
    Unlike Amy Winehouse, another vintage sounding singer, Lana Del Ray lacks tact. Instead, she comes across as the indie equivalent of any mainstream pop singer. She doesn't live up to the hype.

5. She's the smartest fish in the pop charts.
  2. Jul 29, 2012
    This Is The 1st Album Of 2012 I Have Actually Loved Every Song On It!
    Lana's Style & Vocals Are Simply Amazing! In My Opinion The Album Of The Year!
    Very Underrated Album That Needs To Heard In THE USA MORE! :)
  3. Jun 4, 2012
    Born to Die!? Isn't it a bit too pessimistic for so young artist? It might be, but we all know that life isn't always nice. Tracks on that CD album are full of true life messages and they can really touch your heart. Their style is also something special. It seems to me that a new retro style is coming, which is a huge concurrence against modern electronic music, which is without message and usually sold by music videos which include almost naked girls. My favourite song is Dark Paradise. Expand
  4. Jul 1, 2012
    Many people are discouraged by the fact that this album has a sound that is all too consistent. But that is what makes the album so great. Lana found a sound she liked and stuck with it. The album is not over-produced to cater to music lovers of all genres. It is a sound that catered to the messages Del Rey wanted people to hear. And Born to Die is stunning representation of her vision. Don't pass this album up due to reviews that don't even judge the music, but the artist and how they came to be. Listen to the album and judge the music yourself. Expand
  5. Jun 29, 2012
    I found the album sat on the computer desk - and on a whim I picked it up and slotted it into the CD-thingy just to check it out. Little did I know the effect it would hold over me for weeks, her music is beautiful and unique, and I've been singing it ever since the first time her voice entered my ears. I think what others have said is cruel, unconsidered - but I respect opinion, music is a tricky business for anyone to agree on. And, it's true, when I first heard a couple of her songs I wondered why on earth I was listening to it, but even the kind of songs I thought I would hate grew on me considerably. Music needs a chance to settle, and her songs are not pretentious, but heartfelt and intriguing. Expand
  6. Jun 19, 2012
    Exaggerated vocals, some songs are worth as "Video Games" for example, lyrics are not so much convincing, with the exception of Carmen and the production is a bit interesting. A not very nice mixture of baroque pop with a quasi-hip-hop. We could say that Lana is not yet ready to release an album, but her voice indicates a singer who can demonstrate more talent in some years.
  7. Jul 13, 2012
    This album over is a good album, with explosive moderate success. The theme of the line is very deep and has sentimental songs to describe it with a deeper meaning. Lana's Vocals go deep, dark and gloomy to high, woozy and Lolita -ish. At It's Best it is an album ranging from controlling prostitutes to, love un-hopefuls.
  8. Jul 21, 2012
    'Born to Die' incorporates a mix of sadcore and indiepop. The sadcore songs and performances are stellar, and the indiepop songs are fairly good as well but not on the same level as the former. Her classic and sometimes quivering voice paired with whatever beat or DJ-produced concoction flow well together. Unfortunately, her best tracks are also the ones that were released before the album surfaced, which I feel hurt her album's reviews because critics expected everything to be of as high-caliber as "Video Games." I still definitely recommend this album!
    Favorite tracks: Video Games, Blue Jeans, Carmen, Without You (deluxe/special edition only)
  9. Nov 5, 2012
    Sadly not that good as it could've been. She shows how much she is able to do in her released singles, the whole 15 songs are also really nice but entirely not that great. The lyrics are lovably depressive as they're showing the 3 parts of a relationship ending in death. Before it, at the moment of his death and after it. The structure is also really great: starting depressive and ending in an happy love song, Lucky Ones. I enjoyed the album, but not every song. Expand
  10. Oct 5, 2012
    When an album is capable of divide the critics the way "Born to Die" does, it is because something interesting about it. Perhaps, I see it as something very creative and different, she's not faking her voice, can't she sing different? And so if the whole album is similar is not because a lack of creativeness, it could be as the way to express the whole theme in the album. Don't you think?
  11. Aug 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. born to die is a fresh album with a beautiful singer in lead is very enjoyable i prefer the 12 songs edition but the 15 songs edition is awesome very good album the best album of 2012 Expand
  12. Aug 29, 2012
    I expected a little bit more from this album, but it's still good and one million times better than Lady Gaga and other disco-s**t music passed on the radio!
  13. Oct 4, 2012
    So good. why people don\'t like it ? it has amazig songs.
  14. Nov 9, 2012
    Lana Del Rey was one of the ones to watch for 2012. 'Video Games' Showcased her often sad-core, baroque pop -type of style. Her debut 'Born to die', basically gives you what you kinda didn't have in mind. Lolita-esque high-pitched singing varies with Low-lifed, over dramatic deep vocals which perfectly tells a story each time. LANA! IT'S YOUR TIME TO SHINE :)
  15. Nov 12, 2012
    Born to Die is an evocative album, so much so that I care not for whether I am hearing singles throughout, it's about how it makes you feel and very few artists today manage to move me and she does.
  16. Nov 19, 2012
    No doubt Lana is the most overrated new generation pop star. Have to admit she's able to write good catchy songs but it's poor production and her law singers talent just ruin all the good stuff.
  17. Nov 28, 2012
    This album really introduces Lana Del Rey in mainstream really well. What her and her producer did fantastically is develop this "gangsta Nancy Sinatra" character beautifully, enough to make me as the listener feel enticed and intrigued to hear her next album. I must say the album did give me too many songs as I felt the album merge into one after song 11. I am also in love by the fusion of r&b inspired beats with her sultry voice which really gives her a nice niche she can explore.
    Favourite song: Blue Jeans
    Most played: Born to Die Favourite instrumentation: Diet Mountain Dew
    Most interesting: Carmen/Off to the races
    Most fun: Radio
  18. Dec 7, 2012
    i dare to say that this is the album i like the most (ever!) ALL THE SONGS ARE PERFECT! so f**ing perfect! i'd love to see Lana Del Rey live! she's on her way to be the the Indie Queen!
  19. Dec 15, 2012
    Lana is a very mysterious artist. She has a way of writing about love and life in her songs that no one else has. Lana may not have a great voice, but Born To Die is a very good album.
    In a time that the music industry is dominated by the huge bunch of pop artists, Lana came with a great alternative and even old fashion album. Her songs transport us to a dark and unknown world where we
    love to be. Some songs are simple but beautiful like "Blue Jeans" or the premiere single "Video Games", and other are magisterially produced like "Born To Die", "Dark Paradise" and the powerful and sexy "National Anthem".
    Many people say that Lana Del Rey is a boring and untalented singer. In my opinion she is great and Born To Die is one of the best albums of the year.
  20. Dec 18, 2012
    When I first heard the name "Lana Del Rey" I was like , whose that? I had a good friend of mine that knew her and told me to look her up. When I did, I had clicked on the first song that popped up, called "Video games." As soon as I heard the first beat, I was hooked. I recommend this to anyone who likes the indie rock style of music.
  21. Dec 23, 2012
    Honestly The Best Album Of 2012 Hands Down! And One Of The Greatest Album's Of ALL TIME!
    I Love Her Voice, Her Lyrics Are Probably The Best I'v Heard In Along Time!
  22. Dec 25, 2012
    While the songs get a bit repetitive, BTD is a great freshman album. Video Games is obviously the stand out track, although rivalled easily by Million Dollar Man, which could be the stand out if not for its gross overproduction. All her songs somehow managed to tug at my heartstrings, even if I could not relate to it. The power of and emotion in her vocals leave me speechless (think Dark Paradise), although Lana as a lyricist could use some polishing. It's just terrible that so many critics went into this expecting indie tracks (when the HELL did she say/claim she was indie?) and got a somewhat pop-ish album instead. Listen to this album and you will believe that Lana is truly an exotic flower, one of a kind. Expand
  23. Mar 30, 2013
    Born To Die is an 'ok' album, but her low vocals and '50s inspired songs' are, i can't say boring, but too tiring at some points.
  24. Apr 26, 2013
    Lana Del Rey is for me one of the best alternative music artists The way she sings and puts all that darkness in her songs is just from another world. Her singles about luxury love and darkness are genious I like more Born to Die than Paradise Edition BTD its estrutured and more toutchy feely
  25. Mar 24, 2013
    Del Rey Brings Somthing New To The Table With Her Haunting Voice, And Creative Lyrics It Makes Born To Die The Best Album Of 2012! Every Song Off Born To Die Is Perfect!
  26. Apr 20, 2013
    Very good album, the album was melancholy but very enjoyable, very well written and some great songs, the best songs are Blue jeans, born to die and video games
  27. May 4, 2013
    Born to Die shows of Lana's amazing voice and great lyrics. All the songs have their merits but some of the songs are a bit too similar. Putting that aside it is one of the best albums I've heard. Million Dollar Man and Off to the Races are my favourite songs on the album
  28. May 22, 2013
    Loved the album to bits, her voice, her persona. It takes you somewhere dark and beautiful, and keeps you there pretty much the whole 49 minutes. Great music to drive to, specially now the summer is coming. Can you really ask for much more than that from a d├ębut album?
  29. Aug 7, 2013
    Lana Del Rays music is haunting and addicting. So is the album itself. Born to Die is a work of art, and one of the best albums of 2012. I highly recommend it.
  30. Dec 17, 2013
    You just can't get enough of her. Her voice is an addiction. The whole album is beautiful, she is not a typical poppy singer like others. She's unique one of a kind

1. Feb 28, 2012
    Spread over 12 songs, Del Rey becomes so ordinary, even bland, that no amount of little girl vocals or pouting can save her.
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    Tune out the background media noise and immerse yourself. [Mar 2012, p.94]
  3. Feb 21, 2012
    Confirms her as the most compelling new pop star around: half doomed romantic, half mordant cynic, with a distinctively conflicted vision of how love, fame and America work. [Mar 2012, p.94]