Born to Die - Lana Del Rey
8.3

Review this album

1. Feb 1, 2012
    This album is amazing. Every song went beyond my expectations. Ever song is a new story and it truly is beautiful. It's sad to see all of these negative reviews, its really because of the hype. Don't buy into it, you will enjoy this album
  2. Mar 8, 2012
    I genuinely dont understand the critic reviews. This is a top class album. Amazing lyrics and beautifully, scarily sung. It is right up my street. I LOVE LANA DEL REY.
  3. Feb 18, 2012
    This is one of the most exciting albums I have heard in a long time!
    This is one of the most exciting albums I have heard in a long time!
    I am shocked to read the unfair critiques of the album. It is obvious to me that the authors don't 'get' the concept. People say that the lyrics/voices seem 'inauthentic', but they are missing the real meaning here: The truth in irony! Lana Del Rey is a character, and this album, which tells stories of the dark side of hollywood glamour in her voice, has an authenticity all its own. The lyrics are simultaneously honest and false-seeming (when she pouts on National Anthem 'Money is the reason we exist. Everybody knows it, its a fact, kiss kiss'), easily mistaken for 'Ke$ha-like' utterances. But there is deeper meaning here, a commentary on the life society has glamourized. These are the observations of a character,and each track takes you from the high breathy gasps of superficiality to a deeper truth, expressed in Lana's lower vocal range. You can't take every line seriously, but read each song in its entirety to understand its meaning. This album is a picture, not only of how we view celebrity but of the very essence of a modern existence: The drama that people are desperate to have in their own lives, the layers of identity that we craft in order to survive and achieve in the world (our own inauthenticities) , and under it all, the emptiness and sadness of that experience. The music is also exceptionally well crafted (extremely well produced!) and catchy. You won't be able to get some of these songs out of your head. The sound is different and refreshing, and I can't wait to hear more from her.
  4. Jan 31, 2012
    This album has some nice music. I'm really looking forward to her work in the future. I just hope she achieves a masterpiece like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is.
  5. Jun 27, 2012
    This is album is Very Important for pop music today and its history. It so different and it just has so much depth to it. The way Britney Spears' Blackout is one of pop music's most influential albums is how Born To Die will be because there is Nothing like it right now and will pave the way for artists Like Lana Del Rey. Very Well Done Lana.
  6. Jul 6, 2012
    From the first time listeing to the album, I had my mind to Born To Die (album) all the time ! Each song has it own standout uniqueness . It's one of the best albums in 2012, for it's alternative uniqueness. Highlights: Video Games, Blue Jeans, Radio, Born To Die , Carmen and Diet Mountain Dew
  7. Feb 2, 2012
    Born To Die is a brilliant pop record debut that shows a great deal of potential and some of the sleekest most coherent production in mainstream music since Kanyes MBDTF. Lana Del Rey seems to be an extremely divisive artist with some people absolutely despising her and the other liking her. She's truly brought out the unprofessional views within tons of critics who have chosen to to focusBorn To Die is a brilliant pop record debut that shows a great deal of potential and some of the sleekest most coherent production in mainstream music since Kanyes MBDTF. Lana Del Rey seems to be an extremely divisive artist with some people absolutely despising her and the other liking her. She's truly brought out the unprofessional views within tons of critics who have chosen to to focus on her appearance and "realness" instead of the actual music. Born To Die is more than Lana Del Rey. The atmosphere created for this record is completely on point. Expand
  8. Mar 19, 2012
    A very good album by Lana Del Rey. A little too long though. My favorite tracks are diet MTN Dew, Video Games, Dark Paradise, Off to the Races, and Radio.
  9. Feb 1, 2012
    Now that I have become really acquainted with the album (15+ listens), I love almost every song. Lana Del Rey is a new goddess! This is one of my favorite albums of all time!
  10. Feb 2, 2012
    Amazing album, period. Every song stands on its own, while it feels like being part of the same dream. Lana's work is jubilant, as her voice is sultry and delicious. I bought the deluxe version and adore the entire album. Her critics don't know what they are talking about. It's humankind at its best - spiteful.
  11. Mar 29, 2012
    I feel like the melodies within this album are extremely catchy. This is a good thing, because who doesn't actually like catchy? And, the beats are pretty tight. For such a slow-beat, I find myself head-knocking as I listen. Furthermore, epic. It's really epic and builds up a lot of emotions. I swear, these songs will show up in a Quentin Tarantino movie some day!
  12. Feb 1, 2012
    Im really surprised at these crappy critiques . I mean who cares if she performed badly at the SNL? It was one of her first performances and in a video she said that she gets overly nervous . Lets critique the ALBUM shall we? There are a lot of gems on this album especially "Diet Mountain Dew" & "Dark Paradise" which showcase her unique voice and im quite glad that she's not one of thoseIm really surprised at these crappy critiques . I mean who cares if she performed badly at the SNL? It was one of her first performances and in a video she said that she gets overly nervous . Lets critique the ALBUM shall we? There are a lot of gems on this album especially "Diet Mountain Dew" & "Dark Paradise" which showcase her unique voice and im quite glad that she's not one of those artists who puts out generic crappy pop music or stupid ballads she actually pours out her heart into this music and you can hear her emotions through her voice . Overall this album is better than the other stuff that Rihanna or Lady gaga or Katy perry are giving us and this does not deserve a "59" . To the critique who compared Lana del rey to Ke$ha , how were you hired? you should be waiting tables were you belong Expand
  13. Feb 21, 2012
    What makes Born to Die so richly fascinating â
  14. Feb 11, 2012
    Lana Del Rey is beautiful beyond many ways. She shines on Born to Die, her debut album from Polydor America and Interscope Records. The title track is one of the best, as well as "Video Games", which became popular for its music video and being featured on The CW TV series Ringer. Born to Die is another great debut, amongst albums from other people (Adele, Christina Grimmie, etc.).
  15. Jan 31, 2012
    This is one of THE BEST album, I've heard in a while. The album is so atmospheric, haunting, and cinematic. Each song paints a beautiful imaginative picture when you listen to them which is so rare nowadays for a mainstream pop artist to achieve this feat. The production is top notch with cascading swoops that lifts your soul through each songs. The lyrics are well written and fits theThis is one of THE BEST album, I've heard in a while. The album is so atmospheric, haunting, and cinematic. Each song paints a beautiful imaginative picture when you listen to them which is so rare nowadays for a mainstream pop artist to achieve this feat. The production is top notch with cascading swoops that lifts your soul through each songs. The lyrics are well written and fits the theme of the album perfectly, while Lana vocals pierce through with emotion and wonderful clarity. Overall, it is an amazing debut. Expand
  16. Jan 31, 2012
    The US critics have called this so wrong by obsessing over her 'authenticity'. This is pop music, not the race to be President! This is a simply magical album and so very different to what's currently happening in the charts. Haunting vocals, beautiful melodies, some subtle hip hop in the mix, amazing production. Best debut album for many a year.
  17. Jan 31, 2012
    Awesome album, too bad the official critics looked for her personal life + her live in the SNL.
    She may not be ready to sing live, but in the studio she's really good.
    The album give the image of a happy and sad love and life, but this contrast with her voice is what make the album almost perfect.
  18. Jan 31, 2012
    A Beautiful album, it is not great, but it has heart. If it were not for the stupidly high amount of hype, then people would actually stop being so hateful and actually listen to the music. I, frankly think people should give her a chance, her music is excellent, each has its own story to tell... Like their own universe and you feel compelled to listen to the end, and it is a grower.
  19. Jan 31, 2012
    The only word to describe Born To Die is perfection. The production, the lyrics and Lana's voice make it one of the best albums of this year so far.
  20. Jan 31, 2012
    Coming into 2012, Lana Del Rey was easily one of the most buzzed about new artists, everything she seemed to do created controversy all over the net. All of this controversy is what led me to her breakout single 'Video Games' in September. From the second I heard her voice on that track, I knew she was going to be something special & this was only confirmed after I began to research herComing into 2012, Lana Del Rey was easily one of the most buzzed about new artists, everything she seemed to do created controversy all over the net. All of this controversy is what led me to her breakout single 'Video Games' in September. From the second I heard her voice on that track, I knew she was going to be something special & this was only confirmed after I began to research her other work. During my research, it also became clear that Lana already had a large group of people who despised everything she did and believe me they made it known by commenting on every article/video about her on the web. So before you take some of the other more... 'harsh' reviews into account, I would like to tell you that even if this album was a masterpiece, the people rating it anything below a 4 would have never admitted to liking it. But enough about her haters, lets get onto the album.

I must say that after listening to it thoroughly, 'Born to Die' is by far her best piece of work to date. Lana effortlessly changes personas, exploring thematic elements of death & love all while displaying her full vocal range. The entire album is cohesive & in my honest opinion no track seems out of place when you listen to it as a whole (Including the 3 Bonus tracks, which all sound like they belong on the Standard Edition). Go into the album with an open mind and I promise you that you will enjoy what you hear. I look forward to seeing this album on an array of 'Best of 2012' lists come the end of the year because this is easily one of the strongest debut albums released in years.

Standout Tracks: Dark Paradise, Summertime Sadness, National Anthem
  21. Jan 31, 2012
    I really don't give a F*ck about where she came from and whether she's authentic or fake. Her music touched me, and at the end of the day it's all that really matters. Her album is pop perfection. Wonderful lyrics, great vocals, and AMAZING production.
    Top Tracks: Radio, Carmen, and Born To Die. (All the tracks are great, but these are the stand outs)
  22. Jan 31, 2012
    Having went and looked at many reviews by critics I am disgusted. Disgusted at the fact that none are really review the album. But in fact discussing Lana Del Rey (lips, one bad SNL performance, ext) Everything but the album itself really. This is one of the best and most cohesive albums I've heard in quite sometime. The similarity (if any) in some of the songs keeps the story of the albumHaving went and looked at many reviews by critics I am disgusted. Disgusted at the fact that none are really review the album. But in fact discussing Lana Del Rey (lips, one bad SNL performance, ext) Everything but the album itself really. This is one of the best and most cohesive albums I've heard in quite sometime. The similarity (if any) in some of the songs keeps the story of the album consistent. Songs on the album like "Carmen" "Lolita" "Dark Paradise" and "National Anthem" sound nothing alike. So I beg to differ with what some (Critics) have said thus Far. I'm glad that the buying public or those with sense have and are going to take time to give her a chance. Some have evaded what critics have said and went ahead previewed and then bought the album. Solely because they HEAR the music and not clouded with judgement of the artist. I wish Lana the best and hope more LISTEN to the album and understand it. Expand
  23. Jan 31, 2012
    Lana Del Rey's Video Games was a viral internet hit last year. It got the general public and critics buzzing with anticipation. With so much hype around her, will she able to deliver? Boy, she DID! The album is cohesive and a joy to listen to. Each and every track is like a mini-movie. Every song is dramatic which is not a bad thing at all. From the stunning robo beat opening track "BornLana Del Rey's Video Games was a viral internet hit last year. It got the general public and critics buzzing with anticipation. With so much hype around her, will she able to deliver? Boy, she DID! The album is cohesive and a joy to listen to. Each and every track is like a mini-movie. Every song is dramatic which is not a bad thing at all. From the stunning robo beat opening track "Born To Die" to the retro ghostly "Million Dollar Man" everything is I dare to say almost perfect. The Deluxe tracks are also good, especially "Lucky Ones" with its beautiful harps at the end. In Short, this is a very strong debut album by miss Del Rey. Expand
  24. Jan 31, 2012
    Atmospheric,retro,youthful,fun,nostalgic,melodic and more,that's Lana Del Rey's debut 'Born To Die'.One of the best pop albums in the last few years,it's fresh and exciting,it sounds like nothing out there.Her voice is hypnotic and while listening to this album I get most intense imagery,it's so beautiful.Gives me chills.
    It bugs me that critic score and the fact what kind of albums are
    It bugs me that critic score and the fact what kind of albums are getting better reviews than this.The excuses are so funny and they are mostly coming from US critics who are reviewing everything but the album.EW has problems with her lyrics and the next you see them giving Ke$ha,Pitbull,Justin Bieber,Rihanna better scores.Rolling Stone(2 stars really) has problems with lack of her emotions and yet you see them giving Femme Fatale(I love Britney) 4 stars.Or Rihanna 3.5 stars,it doesn't really bother them her repetative repeating of **** million times but they have problem with Lana.Oh it's so cool to hate on Lana.Someone should be fired.Their credibility is laughable.Hypocrisy at best.
    It's so sad seeing people wanting someone to fail so badly.They don't even know the real facts about Del Rey and they should check it fast.Spin has nice article about it and everyone should check it -> http://www.spin.com/articles/deconstructing-lana-del-rey?page=0%2C0
  25. Feb 1, 2012
    Let's see how are most of US critics reviewing this album: SNL,SNL breakdown,lips,authenticity,can't sing,dad millionaire and then 2 sentences about album.It's really sad,pathetic and hypocritical.The worst part about this is that they don't even know the real truth about her.They should check it fast and not talk **** about something they don't know.
    This album is one of the best in
    This album is one of the best in years and one of the best debuts ever.Such a breath of fresh air.She's born to become immortal.
  26. Feb 1, 2012
    Amazing album, beautiful melodies and fantastic lyrics. I just can't understand why US reviews are so bad, they should focus on her music not not the SNL performace or her so called "fake personality" Lana is truly talented and no one can deny that.
  27. Feb 1, 2012
    I think this is one of the best release this year, and it's only January. The album flows together really well. The production is also really amazing. I love the retro vibe that it gives. My favorite tracks are Diet Mountain Dew, National Anthem, and Off To The Races. 10/10 for me.
  28. Feb 1, 2012
    As a previous review stated, I also think that had there not been so much hype, this album would be considered outstanding to most critics. However, when the hypegets mainstream before the artist people's expectations are so high that they are inevitably disappointed.
    I was a fan of LDR before the hype and find her romantic pop essence to be refreshing, relaxing, soothing, and unique all at the same time. Lana's voice has a low, hypnotizing pitch to it that causes the listener to sway with her songs involuntarily. You can't help but to get lost in each of her tracks. Give it a chance.
  29. Feb 2, 2012
    Great album. Lana did a good job with Born To Die. It's a complete album, from the emotional "Summertime Sadness" to the massive "National Anthem". Finally a singer who distances from the the contemporary pop. Favourite song: Carmen
  30. Feb 2, 2012
    She will have the last laugh this weekend when the album hits the top spot in more than 11 countries.

All the negative views appear to be coming from people who have only seen the SNL performances. Get a life and stop worrying about her rich father and listen to the music. 9/10
  31. Feb 3, 2012
    I consider myself a fairly harsh critic of female artists. My all time favorite is PJ Harvey, followed closely by Fiona Apple and Tori Amos. I do not like many female artists and I look for a combination of powerful vocals, thoughtful lyrics, and complex music.

Lana Del Rey's album is absolutely, hands down, the best album by a new female artist that I have heard in over a decade. I listen to it because I love the music. I like her vocals. I like her pop-art approach and the cohesive nature of the songs. I see reviews complaining that she is fake - but that is the point. She is presenting a character for us, a very flawed perception of America - an American illusion. There are clues to her intentions sprinkled throughout the album, notably on National Anthem when she references her intent to blur the lines between real and fake.

The album works beautifully as a whole, each song giving us a moment in one character's life, a moment which furthers Lana's concept of the dark American dream. Her characters are "degenerate beauty queens" and girls with questionable Vegas pasts...but almost always girls or women who know how to love and are hanging within an uncertain moment.

Listen to the music and judge the music. Don't get sucked into the negative hype without hearing the songs. If you like complex sounds, electronic elements, emotive vocals and interesting characters then give the album a chance. I could not be more thrilled and cannot wait to hear more from Lana Del Rey.
  32. Feb 3, 2012
    amazing sound. i really enjoy this. one could think that video games was the only pearl that Lana was able to come along with, but after listening to some songs available on youtube I get really hooked. I pre-ordered the album and I'm happy I did it. It's charming and classy and I can foresee a very long and bright career for this girl. Recommended.
  33. Feb 4, 2012
    With this album Lana brings a new voice to seemingly fledging music scene; the album is a revitalization in and of itself; Ms. Del Rey's "Born to Die" is haunting, beautiful and a welcome addition to the world of music... Thank you Lana, I particularly enjoy "Without You" and "Lolita"
  34. Feb 5, 2012
    Awesome album!! The most consistent album I have heard in years! I hope she keeps churning out music like this. The production is so much better than the crap pop I hear on a daily basis. The album kind of reminds me of a seventies band throughback. Also, the production and orchestration is fantastic on the album. I actually prefer the SNL performance to the album tracks, becuase of theAwesome album!! The most consistent album I have heard in years! I hope she keeps churning out music like this. The production is so much better than the crap pop I hear on a daily basis. The album kind of reminds me of a seventies band throughback. Also, the production and orchestration is fantastic on the album. I actually prefer the SNL performance to the album tracks, becuase of the actual emotion in the voice... Expand
  35. Feb 6, 2012
    Love it, im obsessed with this album, her music, her voice, her words. â
  36. Feb 26, 2012
    She has the most amazing voice.I got amazed when i first listened to her.But some bunch of idiot normal **** comparing her with Madonna or Celine Dion,ughhh !!Learn to listen some real music.
  37. Feb 28, 2012
    I really love the album and find it a very successful debut by Lana. Although many critics seem to think of the songs as monotonous I discover in each of them unique qualities that make them outstanding. Besides, how can you not adore the way Lana's voice matches the dark, mysterious climate of the songs? I'm really looking forward to hearing her next singles and I hope that her talentI really love the album and find it a very successful debut by Lana. Although many critics seem to think of the songs as monotonous I discover in each of them unique qualities that make them outstanding. Besides, how can you not adore the way Lana's voice matches the dark, mysterious climate of the songs? I'm really looking forward to hearing her next singles and I hope that her talent won't go to waste because music need artists who stand out of the crowd like Lana Del Rey. Collapse
  38. Mar 20, 2012
    This is very much a concept album with her playing the Lolita. Although the music doesn't sound anything alike, it strongly reminds me of Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville and Cursive's The Ugly Organ. All the songs are well written and interact with each other. Brilliant album. She deserves the hype.
  39. Mar 26, 2012
    Gorgeous, yet mystic album. The perfect debut and better than most of the albums released post 2000. Negative reviews, just because out there in our nation, there are people who don't have taste. The same ones that preached Born This way ;)
  40. Mar 27, 2012
    What a lovely album! absolutely flawless from start to finish. I love her vocals. It pulls you in to the song. The overall album is very cohesive which is so rare nowadays from a pop starlet. Instead of going for hits, Lana crafted a beautiful consistent album.
  41. Apr 4, 2012
    I love this record.
    She writes 12 (deluxe 15) amazing songs on her own.
    She Talks about the best and the worst time in your life.
    She is a singer and songwriter,who is really in her business.
    Best album of the year
  42. Jan 18, 2013
    I think that the critcs are being too....critical (Ha). It's a great album. Yes, she doesn't do so well live, but she is great in this album. Her voice is beautiful and it shows very well in this album. the album also varies, in the fact that no all of the songs sound alike.
  43. May 20, 2012
    I Love this album so much. Simply can't stop playing it! The lush production, the lyrics, and especially her amazing voice put you in a trance when listening to this. The tremendous success this album is having prove that critics are wrong!!!! The general public agreed and I'm sure most of the people here as well that this is a fantastic record.
  44. Jul 29, 2012
    This Is The 1st Album Of 2012 I Have Actually Loved Every Song On It!
    Lana's Style & Vocals Are Simply Amazing! In My Opinion The Album Of The Year!
    Very Underrated Album That Needs To Heard In THE USA MORE! :)
  45. Jun 4, 2012
    Born to Die!? Isn't it a bit too pessimistic for so young artist? It might be, but we all know that life isn't always nice. Tracks on that CD album are full of true life messages and they can really touch your heart. Their style is also something special. It seems to me that a new retro style is coming, which is a huge concurrence against modern electronic music, which is without messageBorn to Die!? Isn't it a bit too pessimistic for so young artist? It might be, but we all know that life isn't always nice. Tracks on that CD album are full of true life messages and they can really touch your heart. Their style is also something special. It seems to me that a new retro style is coming, which is a huge concurrence against modern electronic music, which is without message and usually sold by music videos which include almost naked girls. My favourite song is Dark Paradise. Expand
  46. Nov 4, 2012
    Para tentar fazer a resenha do álbum de estréia de Lana Del Rey, Born to Die, é necessário seguir uma linha de raciocínio: Lana Del Rey é a versão em um mundo paralelo da Adele. Lana Del Rey é uma artista fabricada, dark, plastificada, indie, misteriosa, melancólica. Enquanto Adele seria a versão de um dos filmes dePara tentar fazer a resenha do álbum de estréia de Lana Del Rey, Born to Die, é necessário seguir uma linha de raciocínio: Lana Del Rey é a versão em um mundo paralelo da Adele. Lana Del Rey é uma artista fabricada, dark, plastificada, indie, misteriosa, melancólica. Enquanto Adele seria a versão de um dos filmes de Woody Allen, Lana seria a David Lynch. Tão diferentes, tão geniais.

Born to Die é uma viagem sombria na cabeça de uma cantora que se transforma em uma personagem em um mundo de corações partidos, morte idealizada e amores a flor da pele. É tudo muito pomposo em sua produção espetacular em sua asséptica. Tudo é feito para parecer tão cru e sombrio e ao mesmo tempo tão perfeito em sua construção. Como uma dona de casa perfeita dos anos cinquenta do meio-oeste americano que se mantêm perfeitamente arrumada para manter as aparências enquanto na verdade é louca psicopata que atormenta os filhos e enlouquece o marido. A mistura de pop, indie com toques de R&B, jazz e rock cria uma personalidade multifacetada de Born to Die que lhe dá personalidade retirando de outros. Tudo ganha vida em desempenhos inspirados de Lana. A produção criada para a personagem Lana Del Rey encontra a perfeita interprete na cantora Elizabeth Grant. Uma interprete, como ela já disse, de estúdio. E como ela faz bem seu papel. Uma montanha - russa de emoções em uma mesma escala de sensualidade, inocência, delicadeza, malicia. As vozes que saem da voz de Lana em cada música é um evento a parte. Composições seguem um mesmo caminho de histórias, mas todas têm complexidade, paixão e vários toques de morbidez. Todas belas em sua plastificação falsa. Lana é uma fabricação como Frankenstein. Diabolicamente perfeita. Não como ressaltar só um momento de Born to Die. Ouça. Mesmo ser for para odiar. Depois procure algo mais natural como a Adele.
  47. Aug 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. born to die is a fresh album with a beautiful singer in lead is very enjoyable i prefer the 12 songs edition but the 15 songs edition is awesome very good album the best album of 2012 Expand
  48. Oct 4, 2012
    So good. why people don\'t like it ? it has amazig songs.
  49. Dec 7, 2012
    i dare to say that this is the album i like the most (ever!) ALL THE SONGS ARE PERFECT! so f**ing perfect! i'd love to see Lana Del Rey live! she's on her way to be the the Indie Queen!
  50. Dec 23, 2012
    Honestly The Best Album Of 2012 Hands Down! And One Of The Greatest Album's Of ALL TIME!
    I Love Her Voice, Her Lyrics Are Probably The Best I'v Heard In Along Time!
  51. Dec 25, 2012
    While the songs get a bit repetitive, BTD is a great freshman album. Video Games is obviously the stand out track, although rivalled easily by Million Dollar Man, which could be the stand out if not for its gross overproduction. All her songs somehow managed to tug at my heartstrings, even if I could not relate to it. The power of and emotion in her vocals leave me speechless (think DarkWhile the songs get a bit repetitive, BTD is a great freshman album. Video Games is obviously the stand out track, although rivalled easily by Million Dollar Man, which could be the stand out if not for its gross overproduction. All her songs somehow managed to tug at my heartstrings, even if I could not relate to it. The power of and emotion in her vocals leave me speechless (think Dark Paradise), although Lana as a lyricist could use some polishing. It's just terrible that so many critics went into this expecting indie tracks (when the HELL did she say/claim she was indie?) and got a somewhat pop-ish album instead. Listen to this album and you will believe that Lana is truly an exotic flower, one of a kind. Expand
  52. Mar 24, 2013
    Del Rey Brings Somthing New To The Table With Her Haunting Voice, And Creative Lyrics It Makes Born To Die The Best Album Of 2012! Every Song Off Born To Die Is Perfect!
  53. Aug 7, 2013
    Lana Del Rays music is haunting and addicting. So is the album itself. Born to Die is a work of art, and one of the best albums of 2012. I highly recommend it.
  54. Dec 17, 2013
    You just can't get enough of her. Her voice is an addiction. The whole album is beautiful, she is not a typical poppy singer like others. She's unique one of a kind
  55. Aug 30, 2013
    Lana is the anthem of sucess, she is a great singer that don't need to shake her ass in the MTV, Just be beauty and she is the queen of alternative songs.
  56. Sep 21, 2013
    Stunning album! Lana del Rey's voice is simply incredible and the trip hoppy music
    nails it. Don't listen to her critics (aka Pitchfork who constantly prove that they don't no
    s*** about good music). An album that will never age.
  57. Dec 16, 2014
    Every song on this album it's epic, it's by far my all-time favorite album. I love the way that Lana sings all of these stories for us, it's beautiful and genuine.
  58. Nov 22, 2013
    I personally feel this album should have a much higher rating than it does, The main reason being how distinctive and different this album is. The hip-hop influence beats and her moody vocals combined with stunning melodies evoke a series amount of emotion in the listener. The lyrics could do with being a bit less materialistic, as I feel the songs on which Lana shines are 'Million DollarI personally feel this album should have a much higher rating than it does, The main reason being how distinctive and different this album is. The hip-hop influence beats and her moody vocals combined with stunning melodies evoke a series amount of emotion in the listener. The lyrics could do with being a bit less materialistic, as I feel the songs on which Lana shines are 'Million Dollar Man', 'Lucky Ones' and 'Blue Jeans', which are less about opulence and fame and more about love, a theme I think suits her well. Even after 2 years since its release, this album has become one of my favourites of all time, and you should listen and see why. Expand
  59. May 21, 2014
    Born To Die's vow to represent ultimate excellence while leaving room for a mix of multiple feelings to flourish allows songs that sound nothing alike to blend as one, creating a dramatized, cohesive jewel.
  60. Dec 16, 2013
    The album was very well-crafted, every detail has been thought of, songs inspired by the film "Lolita" Unconditionally were well placed, but do not give a maximum score for story from "This Is What Makes Us Girls" but sí, Album congratulations Lana Del Rey "Born to Die" are wonderful ,was indeed one of the best albums of 2012
  61. Jan 10, 2014
    Underrated album. the best songs: this is what makes us girls, radio, blue jeans, and born to die. It takes me to 60 's old bar where the true and awesome music came out. Lana Del Rey shouldn't have put songs like off the races and diet mountain dew. beside that the album is a masterpiece
  62. May 22, 2014
    Lana Del Rey's Born To Die is the pinnacle of pop and indie perfection. Anyone who has heard one of her songs on the radio can tell you that now more than ever her appeal has grown beyond hipster tumblr bloggers. Although her vocals aren't the strongest, she still has something to say. The 12 tracks intertwine with images of heartbreak and old money, lost desires and New York opulence.Lana Del Rey's Born To Die is the pinnacle of pop and indie perfection. Anyone who has heard one of her songs on the radio can tell you that now more than ever her appeal has grown beyond hipster tumblr bloggers. Although her vocals aren't the strongest, she still has something to say. The 12 tracks intertwine with images of heartbreak and old money, lost desires and New York opulence. Throughout the tales of desperation and she masterfully strings allusions to the novel "Lolita" and general Americana. Sonically, the fusion of hip hop beats and swelling orchestra is a refreshing and at sometimes overblown and dramatic. The production is masterful, some tracks lined with vintage vocal samples and innovative beats that underlie Lana's narrative abilities and distinct voice. Overall, it's a hauntingly beautiful and nearly flawless effort. Expand
  63. Jan 31, 2014
    I avoided her for so long as some hipster trash but I finally gave in and I wished I did sooner! the album is pure perfection. my highlights are born to die, Lolita, off to the races, Carmen and video games.
  64. Feb 16, 2014
    Lana Del Rey is a very good young songwriter. She is unique and there are no other artists like her on the scene right now. She brings back the aesthetic of the 60's chanteuse fused with a darkly romantic portrayal of 21st century Americana decadence. Elements of Portishead, Roy Orbison, David Lynch, Nancy Sinatra, - it's all there woven into an intricately lyrical down tempo journey of aLana Del Rey is a very good young songwriter. She is unique and there are no other artists like her on the scene right now. She brings back the aesthetic of the 60's chanteuse fused with a darkly romantic portrayal of 21st century Americana decadence. Elements of Portishead, Roy Orbison, David Lynch, Nancy Sinatra, - it's all there woven into an intricately lyrical down tempo journey of a pop culture Persephone. You can't go wrong with that really. Expand
  65. Mar 23, 2014
    This album is absolutely brilliant. Ms. Del Rey, who has suffered a hail of criticism, outrage, and spleen out of all proportion to her supposed crimes, has a lovely and agile voice that aptly serves her songs’ lyrics and their arrangements. Many “mature” and “established” artists could only wish to create an album of this quality in their CAREERS, let alone in a freshman offering.

The

The surprising thing to me is that her debut album remains so subtle in its cynicism, its disillusionment, and its criticism of our society's values, given the levels of snark and bile spewed at her for her supposed dishonesty and lack of authenticity (not to mention her rich daddy, her plastic surgery, her fake name, her lack of musical talent, her poor stage presence, and her mediocre singing voice, did I get them all?) The hating hate of these hateful haters (as it might be said on the interwebz) would be over the top even if the dismissals and passionate dislike were based on fact. No artist or performer deserves this level of vitriolic abuse; after all, this isn't Milli Vanilli we're talking about - it isn't even Ashley Simpson or Adele or Amy Winehouse or Miley Cyrus. What is really at the crux of this mad-on?

The anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in our natures; the protected status of "critics gives them an undeserved level of influence over our values (is it 'good' or is it 'bad') and our purchasing behavior (buy this album, see this concert, etc.). We always see the emperor's new clothes because someone tells us we should. So Ms. Del Rey is labeled an untalented, deceptive, spoiled little rich girl who doesn't really have the cred to roll with the Big Kids. Whoever they are.

I have to wonder if these critics have actually LISTENED to Ms. Del Rey's album, "Born to Die"? I hear an incredibly well-crafted, nuanced, and beautiful album. Is Ms. Del Rey a pop singer or an indie? Who cares? This is lush, moody melancholia and heartbreak fashioned into aching melodies and arrangements. It seems to me that the distinction between what is "indie" (and thus increases my level of "hip" - after all, I am discerning enough to listen to it) and what is "pop" is a matter of expectation and record-company (and radio station) manipulation. This is a distinction that developed with the rise of FM radio of the early 70s; it wasn't valid then, and certainly isn't today. It should be relegated to mean-spiritedness of (junior?) high school, where it belongs. LDR is what she is, even after all the A&R people, the attorneys, her managers, and her cosmetic surgeon (I suppose), and what she is isn’t nearly as important as what she does. And what she does, or at least has done here, is make heartbreaking, beautiful music.

I don't know what genre this music is. Emo? Maybe. Retro lounge act? Some. Hip-hop? A pinch or two. "National Anthem" is an excellent example of one of Ms. Del Rey's most appealing and intriguing methods - the combination, and especially the juxtaposition, of different genres, different styles. This is a consistent motif - the clash of reality vs. hopes; of lush, heavily orchestrated torch/cocktail time with urban hop; of melancholy, minor keyed structures against lyrics that seem innocuous, even vapid, but that actually skewer the banality and emptiness of so much of our lives and relationships ("you're the bestest!").

Is there a sameness to the songs? Not really. These songs are complex, mischievous, sharp-as-a-scalpel lyrics and music that bear the mark of a sly, naughty little “bad girl” in devil’s horns and pitchfork platforms. You didn’t like bad girls before she showed up in her cocktail dress and butterfly barrettes? Well now you do. But there is also the girl who is making the best of a series of **** situations. Does anyone honestly think “Video Games” should be taken at face value as a love song? Her “persona” may be manufactured, but she wears it as well as she does her buttoned-down white blouse. Her much maligned SNL performance seemed to me to capture that projection of her identity very well. The music was technically excellent. Her voice, though a bit quavering early on, was as clear and as strong as it was on her album. Sometimes, when the whole world is gone to **** and you didn’t even get a ticket, there’s nothing left to do but touch your hair, move your hand in a gesture expressive of feelings you don’t even recall, and twirl around in a circle. At least you look beautiful in your party dress.

Ms. Del Rey’s party dress is especially lovely.
  66. Nov 9, 2014
    Lana është një artist i vërtetë . Unë e kam dëgjuar për herë të parë të saj të vrasin e saj vrasin e Parlamentit Evropian dhe e ndjekur karrierën e saj muzikore që nga atëherë . Si një album të paedukuar mjaft kjo nuk mund të ketë marrë ndonjë të mirë . Të vocals janë të mahnitshme , Lyrics ashtu si fantastike , dhe instrumentale një përzierje e sadcore dhe udhëtim hop . Kjo me të vërtetëLana është një artist i vërtetë . Unë e kam dëgjuar për herë të parë të saj të vrasin e saj vrasin e Parlamentit Evropian dhe e ndjekur karrierën e saj muzikore që nga atëherë . Si një album të paedukuar mjaft kjo nuk mund të ketë marrë ndonjë të mirë . Të vocals janë të mahnitshme , Lyrics ashtu si fantastike , dhe instrumentale një përzierje e sadcore dhe udhëtim hop . Kjo me të vërtetë do të tregojë se si duhet të zbatohetmosha e re e muzikës .

67. Apr 12, 2014
    Дебютный альбом Ланы Дель Рей — «Born To Die» — получился сказочным и загадочным. Каждая песня не похожа на другую, если учитывать тексты, а вот аранжировки некоторых песен имеют некую схожесть, но это не делает альбом хуже.
  68. Jun 27, 2014
    Its the best album of 2012. 'Born to Die' is great and has lyrics and production so wonderful. Lana Del Rey sang it with a lot of feelings that makes me feel better and special. Its so dark and pretty. BTD is my love.
  69. Jul 30, 2014
    Lana Del Rey makes me get goosebumps with the intensity of her music, the sounds make a great energy uplift, combined with her amazing voice. Great album!
  70. Sep 27, 2014
    Born to Die is a fresh, new sound that music industry needed at this point. Lana's voice is beautifully unique and overwhelming with melancholy. She seems to come straight out from these American classic books bakc in the 50s. Her album is, from beginning to end, from Born to Die to Lucky Ones, a succession of perfect, different touching songs that you will visually hear. Her admirationBorn to Die is a fresh, new sound that music industry needed at this point. Lana's voice is beautifully unique and overwhelming with melancholy. She seems to come straight out from these American classic books bakc in the 50s. Her album is, from beginning to end, from Born to Die to Lucky Ones, a succession of perfect, different touching songs that you will visually hear. Her admiration for Nabokov is strongly felt in songs such as Carmen, Lolita or Off to the Race and she tragically takes Lolita's place. Born to Die is an ode to love, death, literature, movies, despair and music. Expand
  71. Oct 15, 2014
    Competindo com Diamandis (aka Marina) está entre os melhores álbum em que escutei na minha vida.
    O estilo de Del Rey é único, e ela deixa sua marca neste álbum, Del Rey consegue se encaixar em músicas mais agitadas (Off To The Races) até as mais calmas como Carmen ou como 90% do álbum é.
    Este álbum Del Rey se incia e mostra sua genuinidade para o mundo.
  72. Jun 3, 2012
    This may be the best album of the year, as far as I am concerned. It is a perfectly compiled collection of songs, hence it is a great package all together - a good album. While I don't necessarily immensely enjoy all the songs, they just work so well together that it just works. It works! Ah, I cannot emphasise how good it is. Moody, tough, soft, with an attitude and good vocals, "Born toThis may be the best album of the year, as far as I am concerned. It is a perfectly compiled collection of songs, hence it is a great package all together - a good album. While I don't necessarily immensely enjoy all the songs, they just work so well together that it just works. It works! Ah, I cannot emphasise how good it is. Moody, tough, soft, with an attitude and good vocals, "Born to Die" definitely is a great piece of musical engineering. Some tracks are especially good, like "Video Games," "Born to Die" and "Summertime Sadness," while others are at least decent. Overall, definitely a great album, something that you can always listen to - both when you want to engage the music directly and actively, but also when you just want to have some good background music. Excellent work, Lana! Expand
  73. Jan 31, 2012
    Such a great artist and simply stunning album. She has a classic old school look I'm really loving. It's a great listen and follow the hype or not it's different and really grows on you. It is Portishead meets 60's lounge with a edgy twist for sure
  74. Feb 26, 2012
    I love every single second from this album. Lana has a beautiful voice and "Born to Die" is one of the best albums I've ever heard. First time I heard the song "Born to Die" in December I didn't quite like it, but I gave it another chance and I'm not disappointed. It's not for everyone though - if you don't like melancholic retro music you simply won't like it. Also, it's quite expensiveI love every single second from this album. Lana has a beautiful voice and "Born to Die" is one of the best albums I've ever heard. First time I heard the song "Born to Die" in December I didn't quite like it, but I gave it another chance and I'm not disappointed. It's not for everyone though - if you don't like melancholic retro music you simply won't like it. Also, it's quite expensive for 12 songs, so before buying it go listen to few Del Rey's songs, if you'll like it, you'll be amazed. Expand
  75. Feb 1, 2012
    I discovered Lana Del Rey when Gossip Girl used her song "Kinda Outta Luck" for it's 5th season trailers. That song was tempting, mysterious. It reminded me of a Tarantino song. Then I heard her first official single Video Games which was better, she sounded like this femme fatale character, and I loved it. I have to say that to me Born To Die was the most anticipated album of 2012. SoI discovered Lana Del Rey when Gossip Girl used her song "Kinda Outta Luck" for it's 5th season trailers. That song was tempting, mysterious. It reminded me of a Tarantino song. Then I heard her first official single Video Games which was better, she sounded like this femme fatale character, and I loved it. I have to say that to me Born To Die was the most anticipated album of 2012. So when she perfomed on SNL she didn't disappoint me a bit, cause I had already heard her sing on Later with Joosh Holland. When I bought this CD I noticed people commenting her infamous performance instead of the album which wasn't fair. This record is the best of Alt-pop, with "Dark Paradise" and "Diet Mountain Drew" Lana is at her peak. I have to recommend this to everyone, it is just excellent, sensual. It's a masterpiece Expand
  76. Jan 31, 2012
    Simply conceptual ... Lana del Rey is without a doubt one of the best voices of our time. Her debut album was fantastic and deserves to be recognized.
  77. Feb 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lana Del Rey releases Born to Die amidst controversy that is all to familiar with her career. Her music has been overshadowed by her hype, which is unfortunate. Lana Del Rey presents a sexuality and femininity that is elegant yet desperate for her phantom lover. A united piece of art, the cohesion throughout Born To Die might prove too dreary to ears drenched in the music that makes up the majority of the Billboard charts.

Truly a beautiful album, Lana is the co-writer for all tracks on the Born To Die LP. Her alto-coloratura showcases a lyric range throughout the album modulating from rough and gravelly in 'Carmen' to a soaring operatic climax in 'Off To The Races'. The sound of the album is a hybrid of various genres resulting in a trip-hop, Hollywood sad-soul cascade that washes over the listener. The title-track opens the album, introducing us all to the tragic universe of love and death that is Born To Die. Poignant and honest lyricism present a timeless stillness that is the persevering mood throughout the album, as lush string orchestration and fat beats catapult the album forward. The mid-tempo songs and sections are a treat since they are such rare occasions on this album. This CD is best served with glasses of red wine and slow dancing in the pale moonlight. Hopefully you have a dance partner since this album will leave you pining for one.

If you have been following Lana's career or a new fan, all 15 tracks on the deluxe edition of Born to Die are worthy of falling in love with. In 'Off To The Races', Lana sings appreciatively of her lover who is chasing after her while she raises hell across the city. On 'National Anthem', Lana declares herself the talk of the nation while being introduced with fireworks in the beginning of the track and backed by an all-boys' choir in the chorus. Lana provides the audience two character sketches in her album: 'Carmen', who is a burnt-out party girl and 'Lolita', a heartbreaking nymph. 'Video Games' is the definite highlight of the album in its ethereal strings and celestial production. Lana refers to herself singing at the bottom of the ocean In 'Dark Paradise', which might explain why we are all all spell-bound with her siren-song.
  78. slo
    Feb 5, 2012
    The first 4 songs on the album are top notch. The rest are ok.
    Some bad internet chatter beat up on her pretty good, but listening to the first 4 songs I find it hard to believe most honest critics would not be won over.

Funny how the world can turn on someone sometimes.
  79. Aug 3, 2012
    -Great vocals, excellent production
    -Very consistent
    -Lots of personality -Even the weaker tracks on the album (like Diet Mountain Dew) help positively build the theme and personality of the album A lot of people are biased by the infamous SNL performance, and hopped on the Lana-hating bandwagon. These people are desperate for someone to hate on, looking for their new Rebecca Black.
    -Great vocals, excellent production
    -Very consistent
    -Lots of personality

Born To Die certainly isn't Friday.
  80. Apr 6, 2012
    I must say that this is a great album, Lana del Rey is not like Lady Gaga or Britney Spears, she has her own style. The songs are powerfull and catchy.
  81. May 8, 2012
    Great album, great voice. I guess being different makes you weak...I thought her SNL performance was flawed only because she was nervous, not that she didnt have talent or couldnt sing. I have seen her perfom live and she was amazing.
  82. Jul 1, 2012
    Many people are discouraged by the fact that this album has a sound that is all too consistent. But that is what makes the album so great. Lana found a sound she liked and stuck with it. The album is not over-produced to cater to music lovers of all genres. It is a sound that catered to the messages Del Rey wanted people to hear. And Born to Die is stunning representation of her vision.Many people are discouraged by the fact that this album has a sound that is all too consistent. But that is what makes the album so great. Lana found a sound she liked and stuck with it. The album is not over-produced to cater to music lovers of all genres. It is a sound that catered to the messages Del Rey wanted people to hear. And Born to Die is stunning representation of her vision. Don't pass this album up due to reviews that don't even judge the music, but the artist and how they came to be. Listen to the album and judge the music yourself. Expand
  83. Jun 29, 2012
    I found the album sat on the computer desk - and on a whim I picked it up and slotted it into the CD-thingy just to check it out. Little did I know the effect it would hold over me for weeks, her music is beautiful and unique, and I've been singing it ever since the first time her voice entered my ears. I think what others have said is cruel, unconsidered - but I respect opinion, music isI found the album sat on the computer desk - and on a whim I picked it up and slotted it into the CD-thingy just to check it out. Little did I know the effect it would hold over me for weeks, her music is beautiful and unique, and I've been singing it ever since the first time her voice entered my ears. I think what others have said is cruel, unconsidered - but I respect opinion, music is a tricky business for anyone to agree on. And, it's true, when I first heard a couple of her songs I wondered why on earth I was listening to it, but even the kind of songs I thought I would hate grew on me considerably. Music needs a chance to settle, and her songs are not pretentious, but heartfelt and intriguing. Expand
  84. Sep 20, 2012
    As good as 21st century pop music gets. The album brings a sort of reanimation of the 60's and 70's.
    Her songs are dark, depressing, yet possessing and inspiring. Songs like Carmen and Summertime Sadness will haunt you and it will take a lot of time before they even start showing signs of repetitiveness and boredom. True fans of meaningful songs will find comfort in this album as the songs give deep, emotional and beautiful lyrics which will make every seemingly strong person cry in seconds.
  85. Dec 18, 2012
    When I first heard the name "Lana Del Rey" I was like , whose that? I had a good friend of mine that knew her and told me to look her up. When I did, I had clicked on the first song that popped up, called "Video games." As soon as I heard the first beat, I was hooked. I recommend this to anyone who likes the indie rock style of music.
  86. Apr 20, 2013
    Very good album, the album was melancholy but very enjoyable, very well written and some great songs, the best songs are Blue jeans, born to die and video games
  87. May 22, 2013
    Loved the album to bits, her voice, her persona. It takes you somewhere dark and beautiful, and keeps you there pretty much the whole 49 minutes. Great music to drive to, specially now the summer is coming. Can you really ask for much more than that from a début album?
  88. Nov 12, 2013
    Born To Die has no words to describe it. So fresh, so excellent, the whole amazing lyrics and sounds. It's perfect. I have no words with this album. If you say that it is bad you're totally wrong.
  89. Nov 12, 2013
    With one of the most beautiful and moving voices of the current generation, Lana Del Rey has given us a reason to have faith in the mainstream music industry. Born to Die can be considered a short and repetitive record, though the talent that Lana Del Rey has is enough to save the record and turn it into a masterpiece.
  90. Jul 29, 2014
    Though you may get confused at a first glance, you eventually get to love this complete and stylish work of art that plays seduction, irony, sex appeal, sadness, nostalgia, tragedy, joy and desolation better than any other counterpart. Standouts: Born To Die, Summertime Sadness and, first of all, Video Games.
  91. Nov 26, 2013
    This album was beautiful, simple and calm. The hits were absolutely stunning but with tracks like 'Lolita' that let down the album. 'Radio' and 'Blue Jeans' were one of my favorites and the album is not a money waster. 'Summertime Sadness' was the best song in there.
  92. Feb 9, 2014
    Dark, haunting, and extremely beautiful. Favourite tracks: Radio, Blue Jeans, Million Dollar Man, Dark Paradise, Off to the Races and National Anthem.
  93. Sep 18, 2014
    Como evitei esse nome e com apenas um flash, uma cena de Blue Jeans, me encontrei apaixonado(leia-se obcecado) pelo modo dela escrever e interpretar suas canções, não é um disco completamente perfeito, mas chega bem perto, well, I'm waiting for my heaven
  94. BKM
    Feb 4, 2012
    Phooey with all of the critics and naysayers who are tearing this album to shreds. Born to die is an extremely satisfying pop record and that is a rare thing indeed this days. I couldn't care less about Del Rey's image and whether or not it's genuine or manufactured or the story of her ascent to pop stardom. The music is the read deal. For now, that's what matters.
  95. Jan 31, 2012
    Born to Die more than lives up to the hype LDR created with Video Games. You can expect to bathe in more atmospheric sound as present on her double A side but also get acquainted with a more upbeat, hip-hop side of LDR with tracks like 'Diet Mountain Dew'. Her lyrics are sometimes clever, often silly but at those moments, it's best to ignore them and concentrate on the mystery she createsBorn to Die more than lives up to the hype LDR created with Video Games. You can expect to bathe in more atmospheric sound as present on her double A side but also get acquainted with a more upbeat, hip-hop side of LDR with tracks like 'Diet Mountain Dew'. Her lyrics are sometimes clever, often silly but at those moments, it's best to ignore them and concentrate on the mystery she creates with her voice and the production. 'Summertime Sadness' is definitely a highlight. Expand
  96. Feb 10, 2012
    O Lana, at times, the album shines brighter than the sun, then at other times, suffers from an identity crisis. Some songs sound like a mix of Adele, and Florence, mixed with early Gaga, and Ke$ha. They start of great with a unique sound than, they shoot straight to soft-core dance pop. Her voice, though is ABSOLUTELY beautiful. She has the best voice of any female singer ever. It's aO Lana, at times, the album shines brighter than the sun, then at other times, suffers from an identity crisis. Some songs sound like a mix of Adele, and Florence, mixed with early Gaga, and Ke$ha. They start of great with a unique sound than, they shoot straight to soft-core dance pop. Her voice, though is ABSOLUTELY beautiful. She has the best voice of any female singer ever. It's a shame that she doesn't flesh out her music and evolve on the genius she set up in songs like "Born to Die", "Video Games", "Blue Jeans", and Dark Paradise". If she opted for that, then songs like "Diet Mountain Dew", the albums lowest point, wouldn't suck. Expand
  97. May 2, 2012
    This album received lots of negative reviews-which is understandable but also quite unfair...yes it's a sad thing to look at 25-years old girl being transformed like that by plastic surgery but if you forget about her public image for a moment-you'll discover unexpectedly good pop record here.
  98. Feb 6, 2012
    The only thing exhausting about this album are the litany of conflicting so-called "critic" reviews it has inspired, which are really attacks on her image. This is a well-crafted, beautiful album by a girl that simply wants to write and sing. Has the music world become so snotty, so affected, that music can no longer be accepted at face value?
  99. Feb 23, 2012
    It has its ups and downs but I keep listening to it. I don't regret buying it. Yes, there are all kind of influences in it but it also expresses something about living in our time.
  100. Jan 31, 2012
    From the first track to the last, del Rey's haunting theme of love gone wrong and damsel in distress bleeds into each song, albeit in the same melodic pattern, but beautiful nonetheless. Songs "This is What Make Us Girls," "Born to Die," and " Radio" make up a powerhouse trio from the LP that boasts the strongest of her personality and vulnerability. Great freshman album.

1. Feb 28, 2012
    Spread over 12 songs, Del Rey becomes so ordinary, even bland, that no amount of little girl vocals or pouting can save her.
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    Tune out the background media noise and immerse yourself. [Mar 2012, p.94]
  3. Feb 21, 2012
    Confirms her as the most compelling new pop star around: half doomed romantic, half mordant cynic, with a distinctively conflicted vision of how love, fame and America work. [Mar 2012, p.94]