Born to Die

• Release Date: Jan 31, 2012
8.5

Review this album

1. Jul 29, 2014
    Though you may get confused at a first glance, you eventually get to love this complete and stylish work of art that plays seduction, irony, sex appeal, sadness, nostalgia, tragedy, joy and desolation better than any other counterpart. Standouts: Born To Die, Summertime Sadness and, first of all, Video Games.
  2. Nov 26, 2013
    This album was beautiful, simple and calm. The hits were absolutely stunning but with tracks like 'Lolita' that let down the album. 'Radio' and 'Blue Jeans' were one of my favorites and the album is not a money waster. 'Summertime Sadness' was the best song in there.
  3. Feb 9, 2014
    Dark, haunting, and extremely beautiful. Favourite tracks: Radio, Blue Jeans, Million Dollar Man, Dark Paradise, Off to the Races and National Anthem.
  4. Mar 10, 2015
    Greatly well-produced, her vocals are heavenly and lyrics are... somewhat understandable. Her first release via Interscope Geffen A&M, it makes me upset at the contemporary critics whom exclusively judged her performance, but has not even reviewed this masterpiece. Standout tracks from this album are "Born to Die", "Blue Jeans", "Video Games", "National Anthem", "Lolita", and "Lucky Ones".
  5. Aug 19, 2015
    Un Gran Álbum de Lizzy, es bueno saber que hay artistas que se inclinan por distintos géneros que no sean el Pop, este trabajo tiene un tema en general, pero cada canción tiene un ritmo y una lírica distinta. Lana supo canalizar sus emociones y sentimientos en cada canción y la hizo única, contiene sonidos realmente 'Alternos' al Pop y Teen Pop, sus rítmos Indie,Sadcore y Alternativo, conUn Gran Álbum de Lizzy, es bueno saber que hay artistas que se inclinan por distintos géneros que no sean el Pop, este trabajo tiene un tema en general, pero cada canción tiene un ritmo y una lírica distinta. Lana supo canalizar sus emociones y sentimientos en cada canción y la hizo única, contiene sonidos realmente 'Alternos' al Pop y Teen Pop, sus rítmos Indie,Sadcore y Alternativo, con ese toque de Barroco lo hacen un Álbum Único. Expand
  6. Feb 7, 2016
    This record is both overrated and underrated. It's overrated by her fans, which make it seem like it's the best album of all time when it's not even close to being the artist's best. It's overrated by the GP, since it's her best selling album and also the best selling alternative album of this decade by a femalr artist. But it is underrated by critics, which dragged Lana to the pits. And IThis record is both overrated and underrated. It's overrated by her fans, which make it seem like it's the best album of all time when it's not even close to being the artist's best. It's overrated by the GP, since it's her best selling album and also the best selling alternative album of this decade by a femalr artist. But it is underrated by critics, which dragged Lana to the pits. And I feel like most of them judge her by her persona and not solely by her music as it should be. Also they let the tragic SNL performance affect their review. Producers tried to make it more appealing by adding more beats which I feel like isn't very true to Lana herself as an artist. But I do think this album is in fact brilliant, from its concept and the character Lana creates in her albums to the lyricism and vocals and all that's in between. Expand
  7. Jul 30, 2016
    Rarely does anyone make music this good these days. Some songs seems timeless and brilliant! This is a masterwork by a singer who is still finding herself. Yet she's unafraid to go where other singers of this generation are afraid to go. The delivery is nothing to scoff at either! Critics slept on this album! They were too afraid to openly state that Born To Die was a genius album. HoweverRarely does anyone make music this good these days. Some songs seems timeless and brilliant! This is a masterwork by a singer who is still finding herself. Yet she's unafraid to go where other singers of this generation are afraid to go. The delivery is nothing to scoff at either! Critics slept on this album! They were too afraid to openly state that Born To Die was a genius album. However fans have spoken! 9/10 Expand
  8. BKM
    Feb 4, 2012
    Phooey with all of the critics and naysayers who are tearing this album to shreds. Born to die is an extremely satisfying pop record and that is a rare thing indeed this days. I couldn't care less about Del Rey's image and whether or not it's genuine or manufactured or the story of her ascent to pop stardom. The music is the read deal. For now, that's what matters.
  9. Jan 31, 2012
    Born to Die more than lives up to the hype LDR created with Video Games. You can expect to bathe in more atmospheric sound as present on her double A side but also get acquainted with a more upbeat, hip-hop side of LDR with tracks like 'Diet Mountain Dew'. Her lyrics are sometimes clever, often silly but at those moments, it's best to ignore them and concentrate on the mystery she createsBorn to Die more than lives up to the hype LDR created with Video Games. You can expect to bathe in more atmospheric sound as present on her double A side but also get acquainted with a more upbeat, hip-hop side of LDR with tracks like 'Diet Mountain Dew'. Her lyrics are sometimes clever, often silly but at those moments, it's best to ignore them and concentrate on the mystery she creates with her voice and the production. 'Summertime Sadness' is definitely a highlight. Expand
  10. Feb 10, 2012
    O Lana, at times, the album shines brighter than the sun, then at other times, suffers from an identity crisis. Some songs sound like a mix of Adele, and Florence, mixed with early Gaga, and Ke$ha. They start of great with a unique sound than, they shoot straight to soft-core dance pop. Her voice, though is ABSOLUTELY beautiful. She has the best voice of any female singer ever. It's aO Lana, at times, the album shines brighter than the sun, then at other times, suffers from an identity crisis. Some songs sound like a mix of Adele, and Florence, mixed with early Gaga, and Ke$ha. They start of great with a unique sound than, they shoot straight to soft-core dance pop. Her voice, though is ABSOLUTELY beautiful. She has the best voice of any female singer ever. It's a shame that she doesn't flesh out her music and evolve on the genius she set up in songs like "Born to Die", "Video Games", "Blue Jeans", and Dark Paradise". If she opted for that, then songs like "Diet Mountain Dew", the albums lowest point, wouldn't suck. Expand
  11. May 2, 2012
    This album received lots of negative reviews-which is understandable but also quite unfair...yes it's a sad thing to look at 25-years old girl being transformed like that by plastic surgery but if you forget about her public image for a moment-you'll discover unexpectedly good pop record here.
  12. Feb 6, 2012
    The only thing exhausting about this album are the litany of conflicting so-called "critic" reviews it has inspired, which are really attacks on her image. This is a well-crafted, beautiful album by a girl that simply wants to write and sing. Has the music world become so snotty, so affected, that music can no longer be accepted at face value?
  13. Feb 23, 2012
    It has its ups and downs but I keep listening to it. I don't regret buying it. Yes, there are all kind of influences in it but it also expresses something about living in our time.
  14. Jan 31, 2012
    From the first track to the last, del Rey's haunting theme of love gone wrong and damsel in distress bleeds into each song, albeit in the same melodic pattern, but beautiful nonetheless. Songs "This is What Make Us Girls," "Born to Die," and " Radio" make up a powerhouse trio from the LP that boasts the strongest of her personality and vulnerability. Great freshman album.
  15. Jan 31, 2012
    This is probably one of the first pop albums that I like. Don't listen to the "professional critics", cause those can be divided into three categories:
    - Those who for some reason thought she was indie (even though she never claimed to be), and then received a pop album. So they gave it negative reviews (pitchfork, stereogum).
    - Those who knew she was pop but thought she was inauthentic
    - Those who knew she was pop but thought she was inauthentic (what the hell does that mean anyway) and listened to it with their mind already made up.
    - Those who listened to it, remaining impartial at first.

Now, my personal review: the first six songs are all great, without any exception. After that, the album gets a bit same-ish, but the tracks are all still good. "Video games" still remains one of the best pop songs of the last years.

Anyone who thinks this girl is untalented, should really listen to this album. She has a phenomenal voice. The lyrics are a bit "eh", but compared to artists like Rihanna/Kesha/whatever she deserves the nobel prize for them.

Pitchfork described born to die as follows: "so romantic it makes you long for reality". I beg to differ. It's reality that makes you want to join LDR's fantasy world. This album won't be everyone's cup of tea, due to the style of music, but it IS certain she has a great voice. I wouldn't call it a master piece, but it is a very promising debut. 8/10
  16. Jan 6, 2013
    The American music scene is a strange bunch. If Lizzie Grant (a.k.a Lana Del Rey) was born in the UK, she would be considered in the same league as 'alternative' yet talented singers such as Ellie Goulding and dare I say it, Adele. Alas, they seemed to give better ratings to bubblegum pop artists like Carly Rae Jepsen. Here is a rarity; a talented singer who looked gorgeous, who wroteThe American music scene is a strange bunch. If Lizzie Grant (a.k.a Lana Del Rey) was born in the UK, she would be considered in the same league as 'alternative' yet talented singers such as Ellie Goulding and dare I say it, Adele. Alas, they seemed to give better ratings to bubblegum pop artists like Carly Rae Jepsen. Here is a rarity; a talented singer who looked gorgeous, who wrote her own songs, has a distinctive sound, and she was completely slammed by many critics. Sure, she built this weird image,but so does Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Beyonce. One of the more talented female singer out there at the moment. Don't listen to the critics. Expand
  17. Feb 15, 2012
    If this album was by a man, I'm not sure it would be getting as much hate. There are some average lyrics but she seems to be getting **** for not being a perfect role model for the stereotypical anti man type woman.
  18. Feb 2, 2012
    I absolutely love this album. Sure there are several tracks that are in the same vein as Video Games, but that's exactly what I expected. Each track has heart and the album actually feels like a light-conceptual piece that frankly sounds better than just about any pop album around right now. The critics are simply being unfair. These are the same people that gave Britney Spears' last albumI absolutely love this album. Sure there are several tracks that are in the same vein as Video Games, but that's exactly what I expected. Each track has heart and the album actually feels like a light-conceptual piece that frankly sounds better than just about any pop album around right now. The critics are simply being unfair. These are the same people that gave Britney Spears' last album As and Bs. Come on.... Expand
  19. Feb 16, 2012
    While the album isn't as great as hypemakers vet it as (it has some major flaws), Lana herself has the most potential I've seen in a while. Think Portishead, Deborah Harry (of Blondie fame), Adele, Kanye West, and Kelis, and you start to get the picture. She has much more potential than she's shown on either this or her first album. Not only that but she really needs to gain someWhile the album isn't as great as hypemakers vet it as (it has some major flaws), Lana herself has the most potential I've seen in a while. Think Portishead, Deborah Harry (of Blondie fame), Adele, Kanye West, and Kelis, and you start to get the picture. She has much more potential than she's shown on either this or her first album. Not only that but she really needs to gain some confidence and stage presence. Probably her biggest pitfall is incorporating Gaga-esque cliches about money, fame, and beauty into some of her songs. She needs to be a little closer to her audience and not so aloof. It's also a weary listen. I can't listen to it the whole way through (though this effect isn't as bad as on Adele's album). Expand
  20. Feb 19, 2012
    Wait, are the american people suddenly demanding top-quality craftsmanship and talent from their popstars? If Rihanna, ke$ha, and a bunch of other talentless females are still flooding the radio, then can we give this girl a chance please? Seriously pitchfork, get your head out of your ass. This is a pleasant album with some decent pop singles and a couple that are seriously hauntingWait, are the american people suddenly demanding top-quality craftsmanship and talent from their popstars? If Rihanna, ke$ha, and a bunch of other talentless females are still flooding the radio, then can we give this girl a chance please? Seriously pitchfork, get your head out of your ass. This is a pleasant album with some decent pop singles and a couple that are seriously haunting (video games being the strongest track, of course.) I guess this girl is in the uncanny valley between hip indie **** and rihanna, so both camps don't want anything to do with her. Well give this album a listen and you'll hear some interesting melodies and a Britney Spears with a better writer and definitely better voice. My favorite tracks are Radio, Video Games and Summertime Sadness--seriously great songs for driving with the top down to at night. Expand
  21. Mar 23, 2012
    Lana Del Rey's songs are haunting. She's not the most technically accomplished singers, and it shows in her live performances, but her voice has a nice character that compliments her songs.
  22. Mar 27, 2012
    Born to Die is a pretty good debut album, even though it gets slightly boring at times. Lana's vocals are kind of limited, so consequentially, the album isn't exactly varied. It is still a good listen though. If you enjoyed Lana's first single, you shouldn't have trouble liking this. Highlights are: Video Games, Dark Paradise, Carmen, Lolita.
  23. Jul 21, 2012
    'Born to Die' incorporates a mix of sadcore and indiepop. The sadcore songs and performances are stellar, and the indiepop songs are fairly good as well but not on the same level as the former. Her classic and sometimes quivering voice paired with whatever beat or DJ-produced concoction flow well together. Unfortunately, her best tracks are also the ones that were released before the'Born to Die' incorporates a mix of sadcore and indiepop. The sadcore songs and performances are stellar, and the indiepop songs are fairly good as well but not on the same level as the former. Her classic and sometimes quivering voice paired with whatever beat or DJ-produced concoction flow well together. Unfortunately, her best tracks are also the ones that were released before the album surfaced, which I feel hurt her album's reviews because critics expected everything to be of as high-caliber as "Video Games." I still definitely recommend this album!
    Favorite tracks: Video Games, Blue Jeans, Carmen, Without You (deluxe/special edition only)
  24. Oct 5, 2012
    When an album is capable of divide the critics the way "Born to Die" does, it is because something interesting about it. Perhaps, I see it as something very creative and different, she's not faking her voice, can't she sing different? And so if the whole album is similar is not because a lack of creativeness, it could be as the way to express the whole theme in the album. Don't you think?
  25. Nov 12, 2012
    Born to Die is an evocative album, so much so that I care not for whether I am hearing singles throughout, it's about how it makes you feel and very few artists today manage to move me and she does.
  26. Nov 28, 2012
    This album really introduces Lana Del Rey in mainstream really well. What her and her producer did fantastically is develop this "gangsta Nancy Sinatra" character beautifully, enough to make me as the listener feel enticed and intrigued to hear her next album. I must say the album did give me too many songs as I felt the album merge into one after song 11. I am also in love by the fusionThis album really introduces Lana Del Rey in mainstream really well. What her and her producer did fantastically is develop this "gangsta Nancy Sinatra" character beautifully, enough to make me as the listener feel enticed and intrigued to hear her next album. I must say the album did give me too many songs as I felt the album merge into one after song 11. I am also in love by the fusion of r&b inspired beats with her sultry voice which really gives her a nice niche she can explore.
    Favourite song: Blue Jeans
    Most played: Born to Die Favourite instrumentation: Diet Mountain Dew
    Most interesting: Carmen/Off to the races
    Most fun: Radio
  27. Dec 15, 2012
    Lana is a very mysterious artist. She has a way of writing about love and life in her songs that no one else has. Lana may not have a great voice, but Born To Die is a very good album.
    In a time that the music industry is dominated by the huge bunch of pop artists, Lana came with a great alternative and even old fashion album. Her songs transport us to a dark and unknown world where we love to be. Some songs are simple but beautiful like "Blue Jeans" or the premiere single "Video Games", and other are magisterially produced like "Born To Die", "Dark Paradise" and the powerful and sexy "National Anthem".
    Many people say that Lana Del Rey is a boring and untalented singer. In my opinion she is great and Born To Die is one of the best albums of the year.
  28. Apr 26, 2013
    Lana Del Rey is for me one of the best alternative music artists The way she sings and puts all that darkness in her songs is just from another world. Her singles about luxury love and darkness are genious I like more Born to Die than Paradise Edition BTD its estrutured and more toutchy feely
  29. May 4, 2013
    Born to Die shows of Lana's amazing voice and great lyrics. All the songs have their merits but some of the songs are a bit too similar. Putting that aside it is one of the best albums I've heard. Million Dollar Man and Off to the Races are my favourite songs on the album
  30. Mar 25, 2014
    I love this album. Lana Del Rey has one of the most distinctive voices ever. Although her shift from a deep, jazzy voice to a high, girly one in some songs can be jarring, her voice can be very expressive. I'll just wrap that up there.
  31. Mar 14, 2014
    Lana is a good singer, being able to switch from a bird-like falsetto to an elegant deep. I honestly love her so much. But of course, loving someone doesn't mean someone is perfect. Born to Die was exceptional, but exceptionally long. And it tries to squeeze dry Lana of ideas. But when it does, you already love her.
  32. Jan 29, 2016
    So powerful debut album. She knows how to talk about pain and to express what she had to live so that she could be the girl that has touched the sky of celebrity!
  33. Dec 5, 2014
    Summertime Sadness leaves in me a mix of feelings between deception and hope while I dive through my thoughts, that remind me a lot of good times spent before.
  34. Sep 18, 2014
    Como evitei esse nome e com apenas um flash, uma cena de Blue Jeans, me encontrei apaixonado(leia-se obcecado) pelo modo dela escrever e interpretar suas canções, não é um disco completamente perfeito, mas chega bem perto, well, I'm waiting for my heaven
  35. Apr 3, 2015
    lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo lindo
  36. Jan 27, 2017
    An album full of intrigue and unbridled passions where an inexperienced and young Lana del Rey is finding the true love going through a series of unfortunate events.
  37. Sep 25, 2012
    "[Born to Die] is a creative little album. Pack with sadcore electronic synthesizers and heavy basslines, Lana's distinctive voice is also interesting. But this makes [Born to Die] a good album, its not a 'meant-to-be mainstream' album, but its a good decent collection."
  38. Nov 22, 2013
    The strong points of the album are the lyrics and the vocals. The vocals are amazing thanks in part to her already beautiful voice. The music is good, but nothing groundbreaking. The major drawback, however, is the length of the album, especially when more than a few tracks could have been removed. They weren't exactly great.
    In the end, it's a very good album that could have been better.
    In the end, it's a very good album that could have been better. And i believe her future work will be.
  39. Feb 6, 2012
    This doesn't deserve all the backlash it is getting. Agreed that there are some songs sounding in similar style, but I like the style she is setting up for herself. Next album will def be stronger, you can tell she is just getting started, so, listen more than once and see that this is better than a lot of other fluff out there.
  40. Oct 13, 2012
    It's not an incredible album, but there are many songs that catch your mind if you listen to them more than twice... without a doubt whatsoever, "Video Games" is the main attraction.
  41. Feb 4, 2012
    Although cinnamon is not sweet, "Diet Mtn Dew" being blatantly ruined here and the lyrics for "This Is What Makes Us Girls" notably laughable, Born To Die is, overall, a pretty nice album. It's now super trendy to hate Lana and attack her vocals and writing skills, not to mention the SNL performance and her background, but the fact is she has already had some not-so-good performancesAlthough cinnamon is not sweet, "Diet Mtn Dew" being blatantly ruined here and the lyrics for "This Is What Makes Us Girls" notably laughable, Born To Die is, overall, a pretty nice album. It's now super trendy to hate Lana and attack her vocals and writing skills, not to mention the SNL performance and her background, but the fact is she has already had some not-so-good performances before being famous. Back in the days Pitchfork was writing about her all the time, it was so cool to love her. Expand
  42. Jul 12, 2016
    Born to Die is an enjoyable major studio debut that, even though it is a little repetitive, is both beautifully cinematic and plenty of fun to listen to.
  43. Jan 31, 2012
    Very good album overall. Isn't it hilarious how the American critics are the ones generally dissecting her due to her bad SNL debut performance, while the U.K critics are the ones praising her? It goes to show how impressionable the U.S media is, had she not bombed on SNL she wouldn't receive such scathing reviews and you can tell what's the center of a lot of these reviews; her pastVery good album overall. Isn't it hilarious how the American critics are the ones generally dissecting her due to her bad SNL debut performance, while the U.K critics are the ones praising her? It goes to show how impressionable the U.S media is, had she not bombed on SNL she wouldn't receive such scathing reviews and you can tell what's the center of a lot of these reviews; her past personal life.

Top tracks:

Video Games
    Born To Die
    Radio
    Summertime Sadness
    Million Dollar Man
  44. Feb 5, 2012
    Though it may not be considered a masterpiece by the critics, the level of production and lyrics in this record are something remarkable. One of the things I dislike the most about this album is the way that Lana tends to use her voice, making it sound deep but, at the same time, sort of boring at some point. I don't know if it was a very wise choice since that is not her natural voiceThough it may not be considered a masterpiece by the critics, the level of production and lyrics in this record are something remarkable. One of the things I dislike the most about this album is the way that Lana tends to use her voice, making it sound deep but, at the same time, sort of boring at some point. I don't know if it was a very wise choice since that is not her natural voice tone and it might be difficult for her to perform songs and force her voice to go deeper (for example, in her SNL performance). Overall, the album is good. Not amazing, not terrible but good. Expand
  45. Mar 18, 2012
    A high-quality album that takes you places with its rhythm and sound. The internet-hit "Born to Die" deserves extra attention, one of the best selections of alternative radios.
  46. Mar 27, 2012
    The lyrics leave something to be desired, but the beautiful production and haunting melodies make up for it. However the overall melancholy feel of the record can become overwhelming. Very different, and a great first effort. Looking forward to more, Lana!
  47. Jun 5, 2012
    The first real studio album by American singer Lana Del Rey is a réusiite (for me), but the public does embarks perhaps as much as me, but .... The mixed performance on SNL was a total failure, his lips are duck does normal, repeat, how much it costed to, etc.. The songs like Video Games, Born To Die and Blue Jeans are the top three of the album. I normally like this kind ofThe first real studio album by American singer Lana Del Rey is a réusiite (for me), but the public does embarks perhaps as much as me, but .... The mixed performance on SNL was a total failure, his lips are duck does normal, repeat, how much it costed to, etc.. The songs like Video Games, Born To Die and Blue Jeans are the top three of the album. I normally like this kind of music, but this time I fell in love with New York singer. The mixture of love and difficult distress sexy enough, I love. Expand
  48. Jul 13, 2012
    This album over is a good album, with explosive moderate success. The theme of the line is very deep and has sentimental songs to describe it with a deeper meaning. Lana's Vocals go deep, dark and gloomy to high, woozy and Lolita -ish. At It's Best it is an album ranging from controlling prostitutes to, love un-hopefuls.
  49. Nov 5, 2012
    Sadly not that good as it could've been. She shows how much she is able to do in her released singles, the whole 15 songs are also really nice but entirely not that great. The lyrics are lovably depressive as they're showing the 3 parts of a relationship ending in death. Before it, at the moment of his death and after it. The structure is also really great: starting depressive and endingSadly not that good as it could've been. She shows how much she is able to do in her released singles, the whole 15 songs are also really nice but entirely not that great. The lyrics are lovably depressive as they're showing the 3 parts of a relationship ending in death. Before it, at the moment of his death and after it. The structure is also really great: starting depressive and ending in an happy love song, Lucky Ones. I enjoyed the album, but not every song. Expand
  50. Aug 29, 2012
    I expected a little bit more from this album, but it's still good and one million times better than Lady Gaga and other disco-s**t music passed on the radio!
  51. Nov 9, 2012
    Lana Del Rey was one of the ones to watch for 2012. 'Video Games' Showcased her often sad-core, baroque pop -type of style. Her debut 'Born to die', basically gives you what you kinda didn't have in mind. Lolita-esque high-pitched singing varies with Low-lifed, over dramatic deep vocals which perfectly tells a story each time. LANA! IT'S YOUR TIME TO SHINE :)
  52. Dec 17, 2014
    Lana ha hecho un magnifico trabajo a la hora de intentar expresar sus sentimientos en su música, y aunque una que otra melodía este envuelta en cliches, ha hecho un buen trabajo creando música relevante, pegadiza y llena de sentimiento.
  53. Nov 2, 2013
    Rather slow at some parts but some of the most stunning vocals since the album 21 by Adele. I'm glad to see Lana is getting well deserved credit recently.
  54. Dec 23, 2013
    The vocals on the album really expresses the songs very well. The lyrics to song is amazing and the melody. But overall it seems dull and monotonously.
  55. Feb 11, 2014
    the repetitive production and moods make this album rather hard a listen, but the song's are individually very good, but with the odd song slightly wonky in its production or just a bit boring, (Dark Paradise for the wonky production and Summertime Sadness for slow). Born to Die without a doubt though, has a potentiality to it, a flame, that yes, goes out a little slightly towards the end,the repetitive production and moods make this album rather hard a listen, but the song's are individually very good, but with the odd song slightly wonky in its production or just a bit boring, (Dark Paradise for the wonky production and Summertime Sadness for slow). Born to Die without a doubt though, has a potentiality to it, a flame, that yes, goes out a little slightly towards the end, but more or less goes unnoticed for the majority of the tracks prior to them. Buying the edition is unrecommended, because all you want if for the album to end at that point. Born to Die as a sum up, is great in places. Expand
  56. Apr 14, 2016
    Born To Die may not be liked by everyone but it is beautiful from the first to the last second. That doesn't mean it is perfect. Give it a try and don't stick to your opinion about LDR. Listen to the composition : the strings are beautiful and the beats are sick.
  57. Jan 30, 2015
    I'm just here to say that I understand if some people didn't like this album; it's a matter of taste.
    But all the critics who wrote negative reviews on this album, are simply jealous. The album is an original concept, and it doesn't happen every day when we see original art. It's OK, let them be jealous.
  58. Dec 16, 2014
    A mundane work, has good songs and their bad songs, all divided in the same way, but the voice of Lana can make the album up some concepts.
    Highlights: Born To Die and National Anthem
    Lows: This Is What Makes Us Girls and Radio
  59. Sep 28, 2015
    Despite what many will claim, no, Born to Die is not the best album from Lana Del Rey. Yes, it's a good album. No, it is not perfect. She clearly lacked experience and confidence when she wrote and sang this album: the way she makes the notes go fast, and the pop-esque beat to cover any flaws she feared that could creep into her music. That said, the album has some spectacular moments,Despite what many will claim, no, Born to Die is not the best album from Lana Del Rey. Yes, it's a good album. No, it is not perfect. She clearly lacked experience and confidence when she wrote and sang this album: the way she makes the notes go fast, and the pop-esque beat to cover any flaws she feared that could creep into her music. That said, the album has some spectacular moments, especially the lyrics and her sultry singing. Highlight songs are Off to the Races, Blue Jeans, Video Games and Million Dollar Man. Low points of the record are Radio and This is What Makes Us Girls. In this album, what Lana needed was more confidence and experience to express herself properly. Expand
  60. Aug 26, 2016
    Não é um grande álbum mas não é de se jogar fora, tem seus grandes momentos mas tem muitos erros, as letras futeis são um deles, Video Games é a melhor do álbum.
  61. Sep 13, 2015
    I met her with Born to Die (song) and I fell in love with it, and the whole album! Best songs: Video Games, Radio, Without You, Least: Lolita. Lana made a good job.
  62. Dec 24, 2015
    Apesar de eu não gostar da Lana del Rey, devo admitir que o álbum é ótimo. Eu adorei várias músicas do material. A voz da Lana está doce e a instrumental não é tão sonífera assim. Os destaques ficam para as mais agitadas.

Pontos altos: Radio, National Anthem, Summertime Sadness
    Pontos baixos: Carmen, Million Dollar Men, Video Games
  63. Nov 6, 2016
    6,8
    The album is good, it is here that Lana has proved to be a singer. The album elegant arrangement.
    The album has a very big disadvantage: catchy songs all look alike. But most of the songs are not memorable. I would single out the following songs: Born to Die, National Anthem, Dark Paradise, Summertime Sadness. At the end of the album headache listening. Very monotonous and painful
    6,8
    At the end of the album headache listening. Very monotonous and painful for easy listening for the first time.
  64. Feb 23, 2017
    Lol i love it but her best is Honeymoon by far, beautiful lyrics and beautiful rhythm but it could be better i guess..................................
  65. Feb 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can´t say is the best album. It has its great songs, like Dark Paradise, Video Games, Blue Jeans and Born to die. But some of them are nasty, dirty and absolutely boring. It's a poor beginning, but she has a musical potential, even more than Adele's Rolling in the deep. But im sure she has potential, just listen Video games and Born to die, probably between the bests songs of the last year, and the first one, better than "Rolling in the deep" Expand
  66. Nov 16, 2013
    After all the pre-release hype for Lana Del Rey's debut album she unfairly found herself a target for the usual internet maniacs but, while Born to Die doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel, it is certainly a solid start to her recording career. Songs such as Title track Born to Die, Video games and Blue Jeans ably demonstrate Lana's vocal talents and will attract more than enough fans toAfter all the pre-release hype for Lana Del Rey's debut album she unfairly found herself a target for the usual internet maniacs but, while Born to Die doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel, it is certainly a solid start to her recording career. Songs such as Title track Born to Die, Video games and Blue Jeans ably demonstrate Lana's vocal talents and will attract more than enough fans to make her a success in the pop world. Expand
  67. Jun 18, 2014
    The album is good in general, the music is complex and it has some beautiful songs on it. Nevertheless, the lyrics tend to be very simple and dumb and even though the violins play it good here, it lacks of maturity and cohesion.
  68. Jun 23, 2015
    Lana sounds melodically pleasant, but lyrically speaking, the lack of diversity is the sin of the disc. Each song, except for 'Carmen', is about a single subject: men. And this subject is explored involving suffering, drinks and luxury. Not very intelligent, since we speak of a woman who fought to be an artist.
  69. Dec 27, 2014
    Pretty amazing universe, no colloquial texts, always poetry. It's like Lana saw flowers and tell it without spelling the main word once. She uses a form nobody uses, this is it
  70. Mar 11, 2015
    While she is somewhat melodramatic with her vocals and her songs seem to be on repeat, Lana Del Rey overall bursts out a successful "debut" album. She is a talented vocalist and I am hoping for more in the future.
  71. Feb 2, 2012
    Lana del rey is undeniably talented and her voice is unique, haunting and she has great vocal ability and she brings something new to music industry, but this album just doesn't worth the hype it had the past weeks. The album is too melancholic and melodramatic, a little unsuitable for an album with themes of party-rocking, sexuality and spending money..., plus the album is so repetitiveLana del rey is undeniably talented and her voice is unique, haunting and she has great vocal ability and she brings something new to music industry, but this album just doesn't worth the hype it had the past weeks. The album is too melancholic and melodramatic, a little unsuitable for an album with themes of party-rocking, sexuality and spending money..., plus the album is so repetitive that it gets tiring and boring through the 3/4 of the tracklisting and at the end the whole album seems a little dull. Really hope she does something more essential next time. Expand
  72. Jan 31, 2012
    It's not a bad album, but it isn't great either. Definitely not worthy of the hype. There are some good tunes here but Del Rey is not a very good lyricist and needs to improve her writing skills.
  73. Jul 12, 2012
    One of the most talked-about singers of 2011 and 2012 released her awaited album just for disappointing. There are a few highlights, but the down parts are most eloquent. It is a bit dull at some ways, and it's strangeness makes we feel like Lana don't believe in what she is singing. Of course, highlights I've mentioned are "National Anthem" and "Summertime Sadness".
  74. Feb 7, 2012
    I hear a couple of songs off this album and was really struck by Miss Grant's style and how it fused with the production. I couldn't really say why I enjoyed it but I did. Then it hit me that I was listening to Lana del Rey with the idea of Nancy Sinatra in my head. Lana del Rey is applying the same sort of approach, but on the whole I think Nancy Sinatra's songs are consistently superior.I hear a couple of songs off this album and was really struck by Miss Grant's style and how it fused with the production. I couldn't really say why I enjoyed it but I did. Then it hit me that I was listening to Lana del Rey with the idea of Nancy Sinatra in my head. Lana del Rey is applying the same sort of approach, but on the whole I think Nancy Sinatra's songs are consistently superior. The sound approximates the feel of a Nancy Sinatra album but lacks the fire that made Nancy Sinatra so great. There are a few excellent singles in this album, but on the whole its rather disappointing, Talented but inconsistent is the best way to describe her, I think. Expand
  75. Jul 27, 2012
    If I'm honest, I didn't want to go with the critics for this one, but when I first downloaded and listened to Born to Die shortly after its release, it became obvious to me that one of my most anticipated albums at the end of 2011 had turned out to be a disappointing mixed bag. Going through the tracklist, the title track and opener is dramatic and initially enjoyable though unremarkable,If I'm honest, I didn't want to go with the critics for this one, but when I first downloaded and listened to Born to Die shortly after its release, it became obvious to me that one of my most anticipated albums at the end of 2011 had turned out to be a disappointing mixed bag. Going through the tracklist, the title track and opener is dramatic and initially enjoyable though unremarkable, but the cringeworthy melodrama and lyrics of second track "Off to the Races" chokes is lush strings and production for a full five minutes, no less. Next, "Blue Jeans" is propulsive and inoffensive though bland, with a decent sense for song structure. At this point, "Video Games", the album's only complete triumph, comes off so honest, so sincere and so beautifully crafted that it feels slightly out of place in a set of songs so dedicated to ego and persona. No surprise that it clashes so vehemently with the obnoxious intro to the following track: "You're no good for me, but baby I want you, I want you." The ensuing three tracks are fairly predictable pop songs with their fair share of downfalls, but where normally an album like Born to Die would end in a series of unlistenable sentimental ballads, something must be said for the final few songs on the album, as they show the most promise: "Summertime Sadness," despite the title, builds up well and has a simple, powerful refrain. "Million Dollar Man," while sadly overproduced, may be the only song comparable in quality to "Video Games:" Del Rey's powerful voice is shown off over jazzy piano that make the song interesting and listenable. Still, not even these strong points could save the album: at the end of the day, despite considerable merits, it just sounds all too similar and uninteresting as a whole. Expand
  76. May 19, 2012
    The production is the greatest aspect of this album. It is really good ("Carmen", "National Anthem"). However, the themes on this album range get very repetitive very fast. Del Rey attempts to present herself as a singer with substance. It's obvious that she's trying to say something with this album. However, you can't take her seriously with phrases like 'money is the reason weThe production is the greatest aspect of this album. It is really good ("Carmen", "National Anthem"). However, the themes on this album range get very repetitive very fast. Del Rey attempts to present herself as a singer with substance. It's obvious that she's trying to say something with this album. However, you can't take her seriously with phrases like 'money is the reason we exist/everybody knows it/it's a fact, kiss-kiss'.
    Unlike Amy Winehouse, another vintage sounding singer, Lana Del Ray lacks tact. Instead, she comes across as the indie equivalent of any mainstream pop singer. She doesn't live up to the hype.

5. She's the smartest fish in the pop charts.
  77. Jun 19, 2012
    Exaggerated vocals, some songs are worth as "Video Games" for example, lyrics are not so much convincing, with the exception of Carmen and the production is a bit interesting. A not very nice mixture of baroque pop with a quasi-hip-hop. We could say that Lana is not yet ready to release an album, but her voice indicates a singer who can demonstrate more talent in some years.
  78. Mar 30, 2013
    Born To Die is an 'ok' album, but her low vocals and '50s inspired songs' are, i can't say boring, but too tiring at some points.
  79. Apr 23, 2012
    This is another pretentious album , that the basic **** think is going to make them look like hipsters and snobs. It's funny because the album has the same melody from the beginning to the end and it's beyond boring and most of the tracks go unnoticed. Her vocals is obviously the best thing on it, there are some ok songs like This What Makes Us Girls, Video Games, Radio and Lucky Ones.
  80. Jun 26, 2012
    All songs sounds almost same through entire album. I enjoyed only 5 of 15: Born to Die, Blue Jeans, Video Games, Dark Paradise and Summertime Sadness. You definitely should listen to it before buying.
  81. Nov 19, 2012
    No doubt Lana is the most overrated new generation pop star. Have to admit she's able to write good catchy songs but it's poor production and her law singers talent just ruin all the good stuff.
  82. Jan 27, 2016
    In a word this album was meh. I wasn't impressed at all but it wasn't awful but I really don't like Del Rey's voice and she certainly should change it up drastically to impress me.
  83. Sep 13, 2015
    Lana has a beautiful voice, but in the most part of this album she sings like she was having an orgasm, or at least too bored to sing decently. The lyrics are OK, there are still really good tracks on it, like Carmen, Summertime Sadness and Off to the Races, but when I listen to National Anthem I just want to know what the **** is going on there.
  84. Feb 5, 2012
    First thing I think when listening to this album: who is she trying to copy with that fake voice? Celine Dion, Dolores O'riodan, Dido? Second thing: is this the soundtrack for a really ban melodramatic movie? Third: Why is everybody talking so much about her? There's nothing special in her. And finally: she will soon be forgotten
  85. Jan 31, 2012
    The album is lackluster, and it's authenticity is BEYOND questionable. Not only that, but all the songs begin to sound alike. Not to say there are not songs that are ear worthy [Lucky Ones, national anthem, Lolita, Summertime Sadness] but this album is as overrated as it gets. She will be forgotten as quickly as she was discovered. Adele's album may be highly overrated and monotone but atThe album is lackluster, and it's authenticity is BEYOND questionable. Not only that, but all the songs begin to sound alike. Not to say there are not songs that are ear worthy [Lucky Ones, national anthem, Lolita, Summertime Sadness] but this album is as overrated as it gets. She will be forgotten as quickly as she was discovered. Adele's album may be highly overrated and monotone but at least it has character. This album is pretty vacant and lost when you really think about it. The hype surrounding this album is coming from people who obviously are trying hard to be different from what is dominating music or people who really know nothing outside the music they are accustomed to. Expand
  86. Mar 24, 2012
    Boring, boring, boring. I appreciate that sometimes great singers don't have to have that great of a voice, but Lana Dey Ray is just droney, bland, and horrible, as though she's trying to be different for the sake of trying to be different. I'm not sure that I can emphasize just how well the word "bland" describes this. So terrible.
  87. Jan 5, 2016
    This girl tryna be alternative, but she fell in the commercial pop in all the beats of the songs from the album. It's pretty annoying the fact that the album is considered refined, personally i hope that this album will be forgotten in the future
  88. Jan 31, 2012
    This has to be the most overrated album since Adele's 21. It's like people forget all the good music that was released in between... yes, there was good music released. How boring is this anyway? She lacks charisma and the songs sound the same from start to finish.
  89. Feb 28, 2012
    The weakest part of the album is the lyrics and the singing. The lyrics and vocal lack empathy, there is nothing raw or engaging about either. The Music is so heavily produced that is enhances this problem even more so, the three don't sit well together. When the songwriter is the weakest link how can you expect to have an album that puts a spell on everyone. Full marks for hype andThe weakest part of the album is the lyrics and the singing. The lyrics and vocal lack empathy, there is nothing raw or engaging about either. The Music is so heavily produced that is enhances this problem even more so, the three don't sit well together. When the songwriter is the weakest link how can you expect to have an album that puts a spell on everyone. Full marks for hype and trending though. Expand
  90. Nov 26, 2013
    This woman looked like it died and has not been buried. Uses a play on words and a fully pedantic to modern image, giving the impression of an instagram untalented and refurbished Nancy Sinatra to today's teens. Fans, just accept that it is just a product placed on the media to sell and nothing more.
  91. Oct 24, 2016
    One of the worstest albums ever. Lana was not ready for an album, she tryna to be an alternative icon, but its just a product of pop music. She don´t have any talent, she can´t sing.

1. Feb 28, 2012
    Spread over 12 songs, Del Rey becomes so ordinary, even bland, that no amount of little girl vocals or pouting can save her.
  2. Mojo
    Feb 27, 2012
    Tune out the background media noise and immerse yourself. [Mar 2012, p.94]
  3. Q Magazine
    Feb 21, 2012
    Confirms her as the most compelling new pop star around: half doomed romantic, half mordant cynic, with a distinctively conflicted vision of how love, fame and America work. [Mar 2012, p.94]