Born to Die - Lana Del Rey
8.3

Review this album

1. Jul 29, 2014
    Though you may get confused at a first glance, you eventually get to love this complete and stylish work of art that plays seduction, irony, sex appeal, sadness, nostalgia, tragedy, joy and desolation better than any other counterpart. Standouts: Born To Die, Summertime Sadness and, first of all, Video Games.
  2. Jun 27, 2014
    Its the best album of 2012. 'Born to Die' is great and has lyrics and production so wonderful. Lana Del Rey sang it with a lot of feelings that makes me feel better and special. Its so dark and pretty. BTD is my love.
  3. Jun 18, 2014
    The album is good in general, the music is complex and it has some beautiful songs on it. Nevertheless, the lyrics tend to be very simple and dumb and even though the violins play it good here, it lacks of maturity and cohesion.
  4. May 22, 2014
    Lana Del Rey's Born To Die is the pinnacle of pop and indie perfection. Anyone who has heard one of her songs on the radio can tell you that now more than ever her appeal has grown beyond hipster tumblr bloggers. Although her vocals aren't the strongest, she still has something to say. The 12 tracks intertwine with images of heartbreak and old money, lost desires and New York opulence. Throughout the tales of desperation and she masterfully strings allusions to the novel "Lolita" and general Americana. Sonically, the fusion of hip hop beats and swelling orchestra is a refreshing and at sometimes overblown and dramatic. The production is masterful, some tracks lined with vintage vocal samples and innovative beats that underlie Lana's narrative abilities and distinct voice. Overall, it's a hauntingly beautiful and nearly flawless effort. Expand
  5. May 21, 2014
    Born To Die's vow to represent ultimate excellence while leaving room for a mix of multiple feelings to flourish allows songs that sound nothing alike to blend as one, creating a dramatized, cohesive jewel.
  6. Apr 12, 2014
    Дебютный альбом Ланы Дель Рей — «Born To Die» — получился сказочным и загадочным. Каждая песня не похожа на другую, если учитывать тексты, а вот аранжировки некоторых песен имеют некую схожесть, но это не делает альбом хуже.
  7. Apr 4, 2014
    Lana is a true artist. I've listened her first on her Kill Kill EP and followed her musical career since then. As a sophomore album this couldn't have gotten any better. The vocals are amazing, Lyrics just as fantastic, and instrumentals a mix of sadcore and trip hop. This truly does show how the new age of music should be executed.
  8. Mar 25, 2014
    I love this album. Lana Del Rey has one of the most distinctive voices ever. Although her shift from a deep, jazzy voice to a high, girly one in some songs can be jarring, her voice can be very expressive. I'll just wrap that up there.
  9. Mar 23, 2014
    This album is absolutely brilliant. Ms. Del Rey, who has suffered a hail of criticism, outrage, and spleen out of all proportion to her supposed crimes, has a lovely and agile voice that aptly serves her songs’ lyrics and their arrangements. Many “mature” and “established” artists could only wish to create an album of this quality in their CAREERS, let alone in a freshman offering.

The
    surprising thing to me is that her debut album remains so subtle in its cynicism, its disillusionment, and its criticism of our society's values, given the levels of snark and bile spewed at her for her supposed dishonesty and lack of authenticity (not to mention her rich daddy, her plastic surgery, her fake name, her lack of musical talent, her poor stage presence, and her mediocre singing voice, did I get them all?) The hating hate of these hateful haters (as it might be said on the interwebz) would be over the top even if the dismissals and passionate dislike were based on fact. No artist or performer deserves this level of vitriolic abuse; after all, this isn't Milli Vanilli we're talking about - it isn't even Ashley Simpson or Adele or Amy Winehouse or Miley Cyrus. What is really at the crux of this mad-on?

The anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in our natures; the protected status of "critics gives them an undeserved level of influence over our values (is it 'good' or is it 'bad') and our purchasing behavior (buy this album, see this concert, etc.). We always see the emperor's new clothes because someone tells us we should. So Ms. Del Rey is labeled an untalented, deceptive, spoiled little rich girl who doesn't really have the cred to roll with the Big Kids. Whoever they are.

I have to wonder if these critics have actually LISTENED to Ms. Del Rey's album, "Born to Die"? I hear an incredibly well-crafted, nuanced, and beautiful album. Is Ms. Del Rey a pop singer or an indie? Who cares? This is lush, moody melancholia and heartbreak fashioned into aching melodies and arrangements. It seems to me that the distinction between what is "indie" (and thus increases my level of "hip" - after all, I am discerning enough to listen to it) and what is "pop" is a matter of expectation and record-company (and radio station) manipulation. This is a distinction that developed with the rise of FM radio of the early 70s; it wasn't valid then, and certainly isn't today. It should be relegated to mean-spiritedness of (junior?) high school, where it belongs. LDR is what she is, even after all the A&R people, the attorneys, her managers, and her cosmetic surgeon (I suppose), and what she is isn’t nearly as important as what she does. And what she does, or at least has done here, is make heartbreaking, beautiful music.

I don't know what genre this music is. Emo? Maybe. Retro lounge act? Some. Hip-hop? A pinch or two. "National Anthem" is an excellent example of one of Ms. Del Rey's most appealing and intriguing methods - the combination, and especially the juxtaposition, of different genres, different styles. This is a consistent motif - the clash of reality vs. hopes; of lush, heavily orchestrated torch/cocktail time with urban hop; of melancholy, minor keyed structures against lyrics that seem innocuous, even vapid, but that actually skewer the banality and emptiness of so much of our lives and relationships ("you're the bestest!").

Is there a sameness to the songs? Not really. These songs are complex, mischievous, sharp-as-a-scalpel lyrics and music that bear the mark of a sly, naughty little “bad girl” in devil’s horns and pitchfork platforms. You didn’t like bad girls before she showed up in her cocktail dress and butterfly barrettes? Well now you do. But there is also the girl who is making the best of a series of **** situations. Does anyone honestly think “Video Games” should be taken at face value as a love song? Her “persona” may be manufactured, but she wears it as well as she does her buttoned-down white blouse. Her much maligned SNL performance seemed to me to capture that projection of her identity very well. The music was technically excellent. Her voice, though a bit quavering early on, was as clear and as strong as it was on her album. Sometimes, when the whole world is gone to **** and you didn’t even get a ticket, there’s nothing left to do but touch your hair, move your hand in a gesture expressive of feelings you don’t even recall, and twirl around in a circle. At least you look beautiful in your party dress.

Ms. Del Rey’s party dress is especially lovely.
  10. Mar 14, 2014
    Lana is a good singer, being able to switch from a bird-like falsetto to an elegant deep. I honestly love her so much. But of course, loving someone doesn't mean someone is perfect. Born to Die was exceptional, but exceptionally long. And it tries to squeeze dry Lana of ideas. But when it does, you already love her.
  11. Feb 16, 2014
    Lana Del Rey is a very good young songwriter. She is unique and there are no other artists like her on the scene right now. She brings back the aesthetic of the 60's chanteuse fused with a darkly romantic portrayal of 21st century Americana decadence. Elements of Portishead, Roy Orbison, David Lynch, Nancy Sinatra, - it's all there woven into an intricately lyrical down tempo journey of a pop culture Persephone. You can't go wrong with that really. Expand
  12. Feb 11, 2014
    the repetitive production and moods make this album rather hard a listen, but the song's are individually very good, but with the odd song slightly wonky in its production or just a bit boring, (Dark Paradise for the wonky production and Summertime Sadness for slow). Born to Die without a doubt though, has a potentiality to it, a flame, that yes, goes out a little slightly towards the end, but more or less goes unnoticed for the majority of the tracks prior to them. Buying the edition is unrecommended, because all you want if for the album to end at that point. Born to Die as a sum up, is great in places. Expand
  13. Feb 9, 2014
    Dark, haunting, and extremely beautiful. Favourite tracks: Radio, Blue Jeans, Million Dollar Man, Dark Paradise, Off to the Races and National Anthem.
  14. Jan 31, 2014
    I avoided her for so long as some hipster trash but I finally gave in and I wished I did sooner! the album is pure perfection. my highlights are born to die, Lolita, off to the races, Carmen and video games.
  15. Jan 10, 2014
    Underrated album. the best songs: this is what makes us girls, radio, blue jeans, and born to die. It takes me to 60 's old bar where the true and awesome music came out. Lana Del Rey shouldn't have put songs like off the races and diet mountain dew. beside that the album is a masterpiece
  16. Dec 23, 2013
    The vocals on the album really expresses the songs very well. The lyrics to song is amazing and the melody. But overall it seems dull and monotonously.
  17. Dec 17, 2013
    You just can't get enough of her. Her voice is an addiction. The whole album is beautiful, she is not a typical poppy singer like others. She's unique one of a kind
  18. Dec 16, 2013
    The album was very well-crafted, every detail has been thought of, songs inspired by the film "Lolita" Unconditionally were well placed, but do not give a maximum score for story from "This Is What Makes Us Girls" but sí, Album congratulations Lana Del Rey "Born to Die" are wonderful ,was indeed one of the best albums of 2012
  19. Nov 26, 2013
    This album was beautiful, simple and calm. The hits were absolutely stunning but with tracks like 'Lolita' that let down the album. 'Radio' and 'Blue Jeans' were one of my favorites and the album is not a money waster. 'Summertime Sadness' was the best song in there.
  20. Nov 26, 2013
    This woman looked like it died and has not been buried. Uses a play on words and a fully pedantic to modern image, giving the impression of an instagram untalented and refurbished Nancy Sinatra to today's teens. Fans, just accept that it is just a product placed on the media to sell and nothing more.
  21. Nov 22, 2013
    The strong points of the album are the lyrics and the vocals. The vocals are amazing thanks in part to her already beautiful voice. The music is good, but nothing groundbreaking. The major drawback, however, is the length of the album, especially when more than a few tracks could have been removed. They weren't exactly great.
    In the end, it's a very good album that could have been better.
    And i believe her future work will be. Expand
  22. Nov 22, 2013
    I personally feel this album should have a much higher rating than it does, The main reason being how distinctive and different this album is. The hip-hop influence beats and her moody vocals combined with stunning melodies evoke a series amount of emotion in the listener. The lyrics could do with being a bit less materialistic, as I feel the songs on which Lana shines are 'Million Dollar Man', 'Lucky Ones' and 'Blue Jeans', which are less about opulence and fame and more about love, a theme I think suits her well. Even after 2 years since its release, this album has become one of my favourites of all time, and you should listen and see why. Expand
  23. Nov 16, 2013
    After all the pre-release hype for Lana Del Rey's debut album she unfairly found herself a target for the usual internet maniacs but, while Born to Die doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel, it is certainly a solid start to her recording career. Songs such as Title track Born to Die, Video games and Blue Jeans ably demonstrate Lana's vocal talents and will attract more than enough fans to make her a success in the pop world. Expand
  24. Nov 12, 2013
    Born To Die has no words to describe it. So fresh, so excellent, the whole amazing lyrics and sounds. It's perfect. I have no words with this album. If you say that it is bad you're totally wrong.
  25. Nov 12, 2013
    With one of the most beautiful and moving voices of the current generation, Lana Del Rey has given us a reason to have faith in the mainstream music industry. Born to Die can be considered a short and repetitive record, though the talent that Lana Del Rey has is enough to save the record and turn it into a masterpiece.
  26. Nov 2, 2013
    Rather slow at some parts but some of the most stunning vocals since the album 21 by Adele. I'm glad to see Lana is getting well deserved credit recently.
  27. Oct 3, 2013
    *UPDATED REVIEW* Lana Del Rey's Born to Die is a nice and retro baroque album, but it is damaged by failed attempts at hip-hop tracks and repetitive lyrical content. But besides those problems, it is a quite good major label debut album with plenty of great songs.
  28. Sep 21, 2013
    Stunning album! Lana del Rey's voice is simply incredible and the trip hoppy music
    nails it. Don't listen to her critics (aka Pitchfork who constantly prove that they don't no
    s*** about good music). An album that will never age.
  29. Aug 30, 2013
    Lana is the anthem of sucess, she is a great singer that don't need to shake her ass in the MTV, Just be beauty and she is the queen of alternative songs.
  30. Aug 7, 2013
    Lana Del Rays music is haunting and addicting. So is the album itself. Born to Die is a work of art, and one of the best albums of 2012. I highly recommend it.
  31. May 22, 2013
    Loved the album to bits, her voice, her persona. It takes you somewhere dark and beautiful, and keeps you there pretty much the whole 49 minutes. Great music to drive to, specially now the summer is coming. Can you really ask for much more than that from a début album?
  32. May 4, 2013
    Born to Die shows of Lana's amazing voice and great lyrics. All the songs have their merits but some of the songs are a bit too similar. Putting that aside it is one of the best albums I've heard. Million Dollar Man and Off to the Races are my favourite songs on the album
  33. Apr 26, 2013
    Lana Del Rey is for me one of the best alternative music artists The way she sings and puts all that darkness in her songs is just from another world. Her singles about luxury love and darkness are genious I like more Born to Die than Paradise Edition BTD its estrutured and more toutchy feely
  34. Apr 20, 2013
    Very good album, the album was melancholy but very enjoyable, very well written and some great songs, the best songs are Blue jeans, born to die and video games
  35. Mar 30, 2013
    Born To Die is an 'ok' album, but her low vocals and '50s inspired songs' are, i can't say boring, but too tiring at some points.
  36. Mar 24, 2013
    Del Rey Brings Somthing New To The Table With Her Haunting Voice, And Creative Lyrics It Makes Born To Die The Best Album Of 2012! Every Song Off Born To Die Is Perfect!
  37. Jan 18, 2013
    I think that the critcs are being too....critical (Ha). It's a great album. Yes, she doesn't do so well live, but she is great in this album. Her voice is beautiful and it shows very well in this album. the album also varies, in the fact that no all of the songs sound alike.
  38. Jan 6, 2013
    The American music scene is a strange bunch. If Lizzie Grant (a.k.a Lana Del Rey) was born in the UK, she would be considered in the same league as 'alternative' yet talented singers such as Ellie Goulding and dare I say it, Adele. Alas, they seemed to give better ratings to bubblegum pop artists like Carly Rae Jepsen. Here is a rarity; a talented singer who looked gorgeous, who wrote her own songs, has a distinctive sound, and she was completely slammed by many critics. Sure, she built this weird image,but so does Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Beyonce. One of the more talented female singer out there at the moment. Don't listen to the critics. Expand
  39. Dec 25, 2012
    While the songs get a bit repetitive, BTD is a great freshman album. Video Games is obviously the stand out track, although rivalled easily by Million Dollar Man, which could be the stand out if not for its gross overproduction. All her songs somehow managed to tug at my heartstrings, even if I could not relate to it. The power of and emotion in her vocals leave me speechless (think Dark Paradise), although Lana as a lyricist could use some polishing. It's just terrible that so many critics went into this expecting indie tracks (when the HELL did she say/claim she was indie?) and got a somewhat pop-ish album instead. Listen to this album and you will believe that Lana is truly an exotic flower, one of a kind. Expand
  40. Dec 23, 2012
    Honestly The Best Album Of 2012 Hands Down! And One Of The Greatest Album's Of ALL TIME!
    I Love Her Voice, Her Lyrics Are Probably The Best I'v Heard In Along Time!
  41. Dec 18, 2012
    When I first heard the name "Lana Del Rey" I was like , whose that? I had a good friend of mine that knew her and told me to look her up. When I did, I had clicked on the first song that popped up, called "Video games." As soon as I heard the first beat, I was hooked. I recommend this to anyone who likes the indie rock style of music.
  42. Dec 15, 2012
    Lana is a very mysterious artist. She has a way of writing about love and life in her songs that no one else has. Lana may not have a great voice, but Born To Die is a very good album.
    In a time that the music industry is dominated by the huge bunch of pop artists, Lana came with a great alternative and even old fashion album. Her songs transport us to a dark and unknown world where we
    love to be. Some songs are simple but beautiful like "Blue Jeans" or the premiere single "Video Games", and other are magisterially produced like "Born To Die", "Dark Paradise" and the powerful and sexy "National Anthem".
    Many people say that Lana Del Rey is a boring and untalented singer. In my opinion she is great and Born To Die is one of the best albums of the year.
  43. Dec 7, 2012
    i dare to say that this is the album i like the most (ever!) ALL THE SONGS ARE PERFECT! so f**ing perfect! i'd love to see Lana Del Rey live! she's on her way to be the the Indie Queen!
  44. Nov 28, 2012
    This album really introduces Lana Del Rey in mainstream really well. What her and her producer did fantastically is develop this "gangsta Nancy Sinatra" character beautifully, enough to make me as the listener feel enticed and intrigued to hear her next album. I must say the album did give me too many songs as I felt the album merge into one after song 11. I am also in love by the fusion of r&b inspired beats with her sultry voice which really gives her a nice niche she can explore.
    Favourite song: Blue Jeans
    Most played: Born to Die Favourite instrumentation: Diet Mountain Dew
    Most interesting: Carmen/Off to the races
    Most fun: Radio
  45. Nov 19, 2012
    No doubt Lana is the most overrated new generation pop star. Have to admit she's able to write good catchy songs but it's poor production and her law singers talent just ruin all the good stuff.
  46. Nov 12, 2012
    Born to Die is an evocative album, so much so that I care not for whether I am hearing singles throughout, it's about how it makes you feel and very few artists today manage to move me and she does.
  47. Nov 9, 2012
    Lana Del Rey was one of the ones to watch for 2012. 'Video Games' Showcased her often sad-core, baroque pop -type of style. Her debut 'Born to die', basically gives you what you kinda didn't have in mind. Lolita-esque high-pitched singing varies with Low-lifed, over dramatic deep vocals which perfectly tells a story each time. LANA! IT'S YOUR TIME TO SHINE :)
  48. Nov 5, 2012
    Sadly not that good as it could've been. She shows how much she is able to do in her released singles, the whole 15 songs are also really nice but entirely not that great. The lyrics are lovably depressive as they're showing the 3 parts of a relationship ending in death. Before it, at the moment of his death and after it. The structure is also really great: starting depressive and ending in an happy love song, Lucky Ones. I enjoyed the album, but not every song. Expand
  49. Nov 4, 2012
    Para tentar fazer a resenha do álbum de estréia de Lana Del Rey, Born to Die, é necessário seguir uma linha de raciocínio: Lana Del Rey é a versão em um mundo paralelo da Adele. Lana Del Rey é uma artista fabricada, dark, plastificada, indie, misteriosa, melancólica. Enquanto Adele seria a versão de um dos filmes de Woody Allen, Lana seria a David Lynch. Tão diferentes, tão geniais.

Born to Die é uma viagem sombria na cabeça de uma cantora que se transforma em uma personagem em um mundo de corações partidos, morte idealizada e amores a flor da pele. É tudo muito pomposo em sua produção espetacular em sua asséptica. Tudo é feito para parecer tão cru e sombrio e ao mesmo tempo tão perfeito em sua construção. Como uma dona de casa perfeita dos anos cinquenta do meio-oeste americano que se mantêm perfeitamente arrumada para manter as aparências enquanto na verdade é louca psicopata que atormenta os filhos e enlouquece o marido. A mistura de pop, indie com toques de R&B, jazz e rock cria uma personalidade multifacetada de Born to Die que lhe dá personalidade retirando de outros. Tudo ganha vida em desempenhos inspirados de Lana. A produção criada para a personagem Lana Del Rey encontra a perfeita interprete na cantora Elizabeth Grant. Uma interprete, como ela já disse, de estúdio. E como ela faz bem seu papel. Uma montanha - russa de emoções em uma mesma escala de sensualidade, inocência, delicadeza, malicia. As vozes que saem da voz de Lana em cada música é um evento a parte. Composições seguem um mesmo caminho de histórias, mas todas têm complexidade, paixão e vários toques de morbidez. Todas belas em sua plastificação falsa. Lana é uma fabricação como Frankenstein. Diabolicamente perfeita. Não como ressaltar só um momento de Born to Die. Ouça. Mesmo ser for para odiar. Depois procure algo mais natural como a Adele.
  50. Oct 13, 2012
    It's not an incredible album, but there are many songs that catch your mind if you listen to them more than twice... without a doubt whatsoever, "Video Games" is the main attraction.
  51. Oct 5, 2012
    When an album is capable of divide the critics the way "Born to Die" does, it is because something interesting about it. Perhaps, I see it as something very creative and different, she's not faking her voice, can't she sing different? And so if the whole album is similar is not because a lack of creativeness, it could be as the way to express the whole theme in the album. Don't you think?
  52. Oct 4, 2012
    So good. why people don\'t like it ? it has amazig songs.
  53. Sep 25, 2012
    "[Born to Die] is a creative little album. Pack with sadcore electronic synthesizers and heavy basslines, Lana's distinctive voice is also interesting. But this makes [Born to Die] a good album, its not a 'meant-to-be mainstream' album, but its a good decent collection."
  54. Sep 20, 2012
    As good as 21st century pop music gets. The album brings a sort of reanimation of the 60's and 70's.
    Her songs are dark, depressing, yet possessing and inspiring. Songs like Carmen and Summertime Sadness will haunt you and it will take a lot of time before they even start showing signs of repetitiveness and boredom. True fans of meaningful songs will find comfort in this album as the
    songs give deep, emotional and beautiful lyrics which will make every seemingly strong person cry in seconds. Expand
  55. Aug 29, 2012
    I expected a little bit more from this album, but it's still good and one million times better than Lady Gaga and other disco-s**t music passed on the radio!
  56. Aug 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. born to die is a fresh album with a beautiful singer in lead is very enjoyable i prefer the 12 songs edition but the 15 songs edition is awesome very good album the best album of 2012 Expand
  57. Aug 3, 2012
    -Great vocals, excellent production -Very consistent -Lots of personality -Even the weaker tracks on the album (like Diet Mountain Dew) help positively build the theme and personality of the album A lot of people are biased by the infamous SNL performance, and hopped on the Lana-hating bandwagon. These people are desperate for someone to hate on, looking for their new Rebecca Black.
    Born To Die certainly isn't Friday.
  58. Jul 29, 2012
    This Is The 1st Album Of 2012 I Have Actually Loved Every Song On It!
    Lana's Style & Vocals Are Simply Amazing! In My Opinion The Album Of The Year!
    Very Underrated Album That Needs To Heard In THE USA MORE! :)
  59. Jul 27, 2012
    If I'm honest, I didn't want to go with the critics for this one, but when I first downloaded and listened to Born to Die shortly after its release, it became obvious to me that one of my most anticipated albums at the end of 2011 had turned out to be a disappointing mixed bag. Going through the tracklist, the title track and opener is dramatic and initially enjoyable though unremarkable, but the cringeworthy melodrama and lyrics of second track "Off to the Races" chokes is lush strings and production for a full five minutes, no less. Next, "Blue Jeans" is propulsive and inoffensive though bland, with a decent sense for song structure. At this point, "Video Games", the album's only complete triumph, comes off so honest, so sincere and so beautifully crafted that it feels slightly out of place in a set of songs so dedicated to ego and persona. No surprise that it clashes so vehemently with the obnoxious intro to the following track: "You're no good for me, but baby I want you, I want you." The ensuing three tracks are fairly predictable pop songs with their fair share of downfalls, but where normally an album like Born to Die would end in a series of unlistenable sentimental ballads, something must be said for the final few songs on the album, as they show the most promise: "Summertime Sadness," despite the title, builds up well and has a simple, powerful refrain. "Million Dollar Man," while sadly overproduced, may be the only song comparable in quality to "Video Games:" Del Rey's powerful voice is shown off over jazzy piano that make the song interesting and listenable. Still, not even these strong points could save the album: at the end of the day, despite considerable merits, it just sounds all too similar and uninteresting as a whole. Expand
  60. Jul 21, 2012
    'Born to Die' incorporates a mix of sadcore and indiepop. The sadcore songs and performances are stellar, and the indiepop songs are fairly good as well but not on the same level as the former. Her classic and sometimes quivering voice paired with whatever beat or DJ-produced concoction flow well together. Unfortunately, her best tracks are also the ones that were released before the album surfaced, which I feel hurt her album's reviews because critics expected everything to be of as high-caliber as "Video Games." I still definitely recommend this album!
    Favorite tracks: Video Games, Blue Jeans, Carmen, Without You (deluxe/special edition only)
  61. Jul 13, 2012
    This album over is a good album, with explosive moderate success. The theme of the line is very deep and has sentimental songs to describe it with a deeper meaning. Lana's Vocals go deep, dark and gloomy to high, woozy and Lolita -ish. At It's Best it is an album ranging from controlling prostitutes to, love un-hopefuls.
  62. Jul 12, 2012
    One of the most talked-about singers of 2011 and 2012 released her awaited album just for disappointing. There are a few highlights, but the down parts are most eloquent. It is a bit dull at some ways, and it's strangeness makes we feel like Lana don't believe in what she is singing. Of course, highlights I've mentioned are "National Anthem" and "Summertime Sadness".
  63. Jul 6, 2012
    From the first time listeing to the album, I had my mind to Born To Die (album) all the time ! Each song has it own standout uniqueness . It's one of the best albums in 2012, for it's alternative uniqueness. Highlights: Video Games, Blue Jeans, Radio, Born To Die , Carmen and Diet Mountain Dew
  64. Jul 1, 2012
    Many people are discouraged by the fact that this album has a sound that is all too consistent. But that is what makes the album so great. Lana found a sound she liked and stuck with it. The album is not over-produced to cater to music lovers of all genres. It is a sound that catered to the messages Del Rey wanted people to hear. And Born to Die is stunning representation of her vision. Don't pass this album up due to reviews that don't even judge the music, but the artist and how they came to be. Listen to the album and judge the music yourself. Expand
  65. Jun 29, 2012
    I found the album sat on the computer desk - and on a whim I picked it up and slotted it into the CD-thingy just to check it out. Little did I know the effect it would hold over me for weeks, her music is beautiful and unique, and I've been singing it ever since the first time her voice entered my ears. I think what others have said is cruel, unconsidered - but I respect opinion, music is a tricky business for anyone to agree on. And, it's true, when I first heard a couple of her songs I wondered why on earth I was listening to it, but even the kind of songs I thought I would hate grew on me considerably. Music needs a chance to settle, and her songs are not pretentious, but heartfelt and intriguing. Expand
  66. Jun 27, 2012
    This is album is Very Important for pop music today and its history. It so different and it just has so much depth to it. The way Britney Spears' Blackout is one of pop music's most influential albums is how Born To Die will be because there is Nothing like it right now and will pave the way for artists Like Lana Del Rey. Very Well Done Lana.
  67. Jun 26, 2012
    All songs sounds almost same through entire album. I enjoyed only 5 of 15: Born to Die, Blue Jeans, Video Games, Dark Paradise and Summertime Sadness. You definitely should listen to it before buying.
  68. Jun 19, 2012
    Exaggerated vocals, some songs are worth as "Video Games" for example, lyrics are not so much convincing, with the exception of Carmen and the production is a bit interesting. A not very nice mixture of baroque pop with a quasi-hip-hop. We could say that Lana is not yet ready to release an album, but her voice indicates a singer who can demonstrate more talent in some years.
  69. Jun 5, 2012
    The first real studio album by American singer Lana Del Rey is a réusiite (for me), but the public does embarks perhaps as much as me, but .... The mixed performance on SNL was a total failure, his lips are duck does normal, repeat, how much it costed to, etc.. The songs like Video Games, Born To Die and Blue Jeans are the top three of the album. I normally like this kind of music, but this time I fell in love with New York singer. The mixture of love and difficult distress sexy enough, I love. Expand
  70. Jun 4, 2012
    Born to Die!? Isn't it a bit too pessimistic for so young artist? It might be, but we all know that life isn't always nice. Tracks on that CD album are full of true life messages and they can really touch your heart. Their style is also something special. It seems to me that a new retro style is coming, which is a huge concurrence against modern electronic music, which is without message and usually sold by music videos which include almost naked girls. My favourite song is Dark Paradise. Expand
  71. Jun 3, 2012
    This may be the best album of the year, as far as I am concerned. It is a perfectly compiled collection of songs, hence it is a great package all together - a good album. While I don't necessarily immensely enjoy all the songs, they just work so well together that it just works. It works! Ah, I cannot emphasise how good it is. Moody, tough, soft, with an attitude and good vocals, "Born to Die" definitely is a great piece of musical engineering. Some tracks are especially good, like "Video Games," "Born to Die" and "Summertime Sadness," while others are at least decent. Overall, definitely a great album, something that you can always listen to - both when you want to engage the music directly and actively, but also when you just want to have some good background music. Excellent work, Lana! Expand
  72. May 20, 2012
    I Love this album so much. Simply can't stop playing it! The lush production, the lyrics, and especially her amazing voice put you in a trance when listening to this. The tremendous success this album is having prove that critics are wrong!!!! The general public agreed and I'm sure most of the people here as well that this is a fantastic record.
  73. May 19, 2012
    The production is the greatest aspect of this album. It is really good ("Carmen", "National Anthem"). However, the themes on this album range get very repetitive very fast. Del Rey attempts to present herself as a singer with substance. It's obvious that she's trying to say something with this album. However, you can't take her seriously with phrases like 'money is the reason we exist/everybody knows it/it's a fact, kiss-kiss'.
    Unlike Amy Winehouse, another vintage sounding singer, Lana Del Ray lacks tact. Instead, she comes across as the indie equivalent of any mainstream pop singer. She doesn't live up to the hype.

5. She's the smartest fish in the pop charts.
  74. May 8, 2012
    Great album, great voice. I guess being different makes you weak...I thought her SNL performance was flawed only because she was nervous, not that she didnt have talent or couldnt sing. I have seen her perfom live and she was amazing.
  75. May 2, 2012
    This album received lots of negative reviews-which is understandable but also quite unfair...yes it's a sad thing to look at 25-years old girl being transformed like that by plastic surgery but if you forget about her public image for a moment-you'll discover unexpectedly good pop record here.
  76. Apr 23, 2012
    This is another pretentious album , that the basic **** think is going to make them look like hipsters and snobs. It's funny because the album has the same melody from the beginning to the end and it's beyond boring and most of the tracks go unnoticed. Her vocals is obviously the best thing on it, there are some ok songs like This What Makes Us Girls, Video Games, Radio and Lucky Ones.
  77. Apr 6, 2012
    I must say that this is a great album, Lana del Rey is not like Lady Gaga or Britney Spears, she has her own style. The songs are powerfull and catchy.
  78. Apr 4, 2012
    I love this record.
    She writes 12 (deluxe 15) amazing songs on her own.
    She Talks about the best and the worst time in your life.
    She is a singer and songwriter,who is really in her business.
    Best album of the year
  79. Mar 29, 2012
    I feel like the melodies within this album are extremely catchy. This is a good thing, because who doesn't actually like catchy? And, the beats are pretty tight. For such a slow-beat, I find myself head-knocking as I listen. Furthermore, epic. It's really epic and builds up a lot of emotions. I swear, these songs will show up in a Quentin Tarantino movie some day!
  80. Mar 27, 2012
    What a lovely album! absolutely flawless from start to finish. I love her vocals. It pulls you in to the song. The overall album is very cohesive which is so rare nowadays from a pop starlet. Instead of going for hits, Lana crafted a beautiful consistent album.
  81. Mar 27, 2012
    Born to Die is a pretty good debut album, even though it gets slightly boring at times. Lana's vocals are kind of limited, so consequentially, the album isn't exactly varied. It is still a good listen though. If you enjoyed Lana's first single, you shouldn't have trouble liking this. Highlights are: Video Games, Dark Paradise, Carmen, Lolita.
  82. Mar 27, 2012
    The lyrics leave something to be desired, but the beautiful production and haunting melodies make up for it. However the overall melancholy feel of the record can become overwhelming. Very different, and a great first effort. Looking forward to more, Lana!
  83. Mar 26, 2012
    Gorgeous, yet mystic album. The perfect debut and better than most of the albums released post 2000. Negative reviews, just because out there in our nation, there are people who don't have taste. The same ones that preached Born This way ;)
  84. Mar 24, 2012
    Boring, boring, boring. I appreciate that sometimes great singers don't have to have that great of a voice, but Lana Dey Ray is just droney, bland, and horrible, as though she's trying to be different for the sake of trying to be different. I'm not sure that I can emphasize just how well the word "bland" describes this. So terrible.
  85. Mar 23, 2012
    Lana Del Rey's songs are haunting. She's not the most technically accomplished singers, and it shows in her live performances, but her voice has a nice character that compliments her songs.
  86. Mar 20, 2012
    This is very much a concept album with her playing the Lolita. Although the music doesn't sound anything alike, it strongly reminds me of Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville and Cursive's The Ugly Organ. All the songs are well written and interact with each other. Brilliant album. She deserves the hype.
  87. Mar 19, 2012
    A very good album by Lana Del Rey. A little too long though. My favorite tracks are diet MTN Dew, Video Games, Dark Paradise, Off to the Races, and Radio.
  88. Mar 18, 2012
    A high-quality album that takes you places with its rhythm and sound. The internet-hit "Born to Die" deserves extra attention, one of the best selections of alternative radios.
  89. Mar 8, 2012
    I genuinely dont understand the critic reviews. This is a top class album. Amazing lyrics and beautifully, scarily sung. It is right up my street. I LOVE LANA DEL REY.
  90. Feb 28, 2012
    I really love the album and find it a very successful debut by Lana. Although many critics seem to think of the songs as monotonous I discover in each of them unique qualities that make them outstanding. Besides, how can you not adore the way Lana's voice matches the dark, mysterious climate of the songs? I'm really looking forward to hearing her next singles and I hope that her talent won't go to waste because music need artists who stand out of the crowd like Lana Del Rey. Expand
  91. Feb 28, 2012
    The weakest part of the album is the lyrics and the singing. The lyrics and vocal lack empathy, there is nothing raw or engaging about either. The Music is so heavily produced that is enhances this problem even more so, the three don't sit well together. When the songwriter is the weakest link how can you expect to have an album that puts a spell on everyone. Full marks for hype and trending though. Expand
  92. Feb 26, 2012
    I love every single second from this album. Lana has a beautiful voice and "Born to Die" is one of the best albums I've ever heard. First time I heard the song "Born to Die" in December I didn't quite like it, but I gave it another chance and I'm not disappointed. It's not for everyone though - if you don't like melancholic retro music you simply won't like it. Also, it's quite expensive for 12 songs, so before buying it go listen to few Del Rey's songs, if you'll like it, you'll be amazed. Expand
  93. Feb 26, 2012
    She has the most amazing voice.I got amazed when i first listened to her.But some bunch of idiot normal **** comparing her with Madonna or Celine Dion,ughhh !!Learn to listen some real music.
  94. Feb 23, 2012
    It has its ups and downs but I keep listening to it. I don't regret buying it. Yes, there are all kind of influences in it but it also expresses something about living in our time.
  95. Feb 21, 2012
    What makes Born to Die so richly fascinating â
  96. Feb 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can´t say is the best album. It has its great songs, like Dark Paradise, Video Games, Blue Jeans and Born to die. But some of them are nasty, dirty and absolutely boring. It's a poor beginning, but she has a musical potential, even more than Adele's Rolling in the deep. But im sure she has potential, just listen Video games and Born to die, probably between the bests songs of the last year, and the first one, better than "Rolling in the deep" Expand
  97. Feb 19, 2012
    Wait, are the american people suddenly demanding top-quality craftsmanship and talent from their popstars? If Rihanna, ke$ha, and a bunch of other talentless females are still flooding the radio, then can we give this girl a chance please? Seriously pitchfork, get your head out of your ass. This is a pleasant album with some decent pop singles and a couple that are seriously haunting (video games being the strongest track, of course.) I guess this girl is in the uncanny valley between hip indie **** and rihanna, so both camps don't want anything to do with her. Well give this album a listen and you'll hear some interesting melodies and a Britney Spears with a better writer and definitely better voice. My favorite tracks are Radio, Video Games and Summertime Sadness--seriously great songs for driving with the top down to at night. Expand
  98. Feb 18, 2012
    This is one of the most exciting albums I have heard in a long time!
    I am shocked to read the unfair critiques of the album. It is obvious to me that the authors don't 'get' the concept. People say that the lyrics/voices seem 'inauthentic', but they are missing the real meaning here: The truth in irony! Lana Del Rey is a character, and this album, which tells stories of the dark side of
    hollywood glamour in her voice, has an authenticity all its own. The lyrics are simultaneously honest and false-seeming (when she pouts on National Anthem 'Money is the reason we exist. Everybody knows it, its a fact, kiss kiss'), easily mistaken for 'Ke$ha-like' utterances. But there is deeper meaning here, a commentary on the life society has glamourized. These are the observations of a character,and each track takes you from the high breathy gasps of superficiality to a deeper truth, expressed in Lana's lower vocal range. You can't take every line seriously, but read each song in its entirety to understand its meaning. This album is a picture, not only of how we view celebrity but of the very essence of a modern existence: The drama that people are desperate to have in their own lives, the layers of identity that we craft in order to survive and achieve in the world (our own inauthenticities) , and under it all, the emptiness and sadness of that experience. The music is also exceptionally well crafted (extremely well produced!) and catchy. You won't be able to get some of these songs out of your head. The sound is different and refreshing, and I can't wait to hear more from her. Expand
  99. Feb 16, 2012
    While the album isn't as great as hypemakers vet it as (it has some major flaws), Lana herself has the most potential I've seen in a while. Think Portishead, Deborah Harry (of Blondie fame), Adele, Kanye West, and Kelis, and you start to get the picture. She has much more potential than she's shown on either this or her first album. Not only that but she really needs to gain some confidence and stage presence. Probably her biggest pitfall is incorporating Gaga-esque cliches about money, fame, and beauty into some of her songs. She needs to be a little closer to her audience and not so aloof. It's also a weary listen. I can't listen to it the whole way through (though this effect isn't as bad as on Adele's album). Expand
  100. Feb 15, 2012
    If this album was by a man, I'm not sure it would be getting as much hate. There are some average lyrics but she seems to be getting **** for not being a perfect role model for the stereotypical anti man type woman.

1. Feb 28, 2012
    Spread over 12 songs, Del Rey becomes so ordinary, even bland, that no amount of little girl vocals or pouting can save her.
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    Tune out the background media noise and immerse yourself. [Mar 2012, p.94]
  3. Feb 21, 2012
    Confirms her as the most compelling new pop star around: half doomed romantic, half mordant cynic, with a distinctively conflicted vision of how love, fame and America work. [Mar 2012, p.94]