Born Villain - Marilyn Manson
7.7

Review this album

1. May 4, 2012
    nice and dirty feeling album that recaptures the essential MM spirit. feels nice and risqué again. makes a return to intrigue and interest away from simple motifs.
  2. Jun 5, 2012
    This maybe because we do not expect anything after The High End of Low (2009), the fact remains that the glam-rock-metal Born Villain is really engaging. No Reflection drawn, Pistol Whipped, Slo-Mo-Tion and The Gardener, songs injected with goth-industrial dance rhythms, BV is not a homecoming, but a return to form for Manson. If it is equal to himself in his lyrics - sex, blood and violence are his favorite themes - he opts for the show to pique curiosity. Indeed, Johnny Depp collaborated on You're So Vain (Carly Simon), inserted at the end of album to make people forget that BV has several redundant bits (Children of Cain, Disengaged). Expand
  3. May 2, 2012
    This is easily his best album since Mechanical Animals. With hard metal rock and divine lyrics that quote shakespear and greek mythology, Manson is truly an artist once again.

There's not a single track that I don't enjoy.
  4. May 2, 2012
    Absolutely an incredible album all the way through. I think it is his best album since Holywood. The album felt more natural than the last two outings It never seemed like he was trying too hard which on the last two albums it always felt that way. Definitely at the top of his game once more.
  5. May 2, 2012
    Marilyn Manson has a critical yet tastefully base appeal. This is the foundation of Mansonâ
  6. May 5, 2012
    Such an amazing album.. give it a listen and sometime ot get into the songs. I would say it was like the first time I heard Mechanical Animals. Way better then the past 3 albums.
  7. May 17, 2012
    Although critics were overly savaging on the previous 2 releases (Eat Me Drink Me and High End Of Low - which I could definitely appreciate as a MM Fan) I feel this album is a lot more accessible to other than the die hard fans. Highlights include Overneath the Path of Misery, Slo-mo-tion (Pink Floyd's Learning to Fly anyone??),, the Flowers of Evil, Children of Cain, Murderers are getting Prettier and the title track along with first single No Refection bring together enough rock, contention along with the underlying Marilyn campness echoing aspects of Mechanical Animals to interest and influence both fans and newcomers alike - start from track 1 and play - welcome back! 9/10 Expand
  8. LGM
    Jul 9, 2012
    Marilyn Manson's Born Villain just may be my favorite album to come out since Tool's 10,000 Days came out in 2006. I didn't just get the album, listen to it once or twice and come on here to write this, I've been 'living' with it for a little while now, opening myself up to it and listening to it as a singular experience, not as a comparison to the iconic Antichrist Superstar or the so-far-ahead-of-it's-time-it's-scary Mechanical Animals. Manson has evolved with every album, from the pounding, grooving metal of Portrait... all the way through to Born Villain's stripped down, experimental, perfectly balanced hard rock/metal fusion.

That's the beauty of Marilyn Manson; each album is unique, each has it's own sound. They're always innovating, experimenting, and evolving, something that a lot of other bands either can't or won't do. Nickelback is a good example of this, they've been re-recording the same album over and over again since 2001, and there are many, many more bands out there that have been doing it for years. Decades, in some cases.

Born Villain should be at the top of the charts right now, but sadly the biggest music market currently is kids music like Bieber and rap/hip hop, as most kids' parents won't let them pirate so they actually buy albums, whereas the generation that was previously buying Manson albums now checks out a couple songs from it on youtube or spotify, or pirates it and listens to parts of a few songs while doing useless things on Facebook or obsessively texting their friends, then they decide that it doesn't sound like ACS or Holywood and they don't buy it. They're not taking the time to get to know the album, because if they did they'd be in love with it and Marilyn Manson would be back on top of the charts. I applaud Mr. Manson, Twiggy and the rest of the band for having the balls to continue evolving when the easy thing to do would be to just re-hash the past. If you're a Marilyn Manson fan, buy Born Villain, and let it in.
  9. Aug 6, 2013
    Um Album Meio Cru Sem Muitas Batidas E Riffs De Guitarra.
    Mas Mesmo Nesse Estilo O MM Fez Um Excelente Album Mais Uma Vez.
    Top Born Villain
    1-No Reflection
    2-The Gardener
    3-Overneath The Path Of Misery
    4-Hey Cruel World
    5-Slo-Mo-tion
  10. Aug 3, 2013
    Born Villain is a groundbreaking album. Great for new fans and great for old fans too. It covers everything. Heavy tracks such as "Hey Cruel World', "Murders Are Getting Prettier Everyday" and Modern sounding tracks such as "The Flowers Of Evil", "Pistol Whipped" and "Slo-Mo-Tion." I highly recommend this album. It is 100% the best album since Holywood. This album is unique in its own way. Definitely a favourite!

Standout tracks Overneath The Path Of MIsery, Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms, Slo-Mo-Tion and Murders Are Getting Prettier Everyday
  11. May 15, 2012
    This is the best Marilyn Manson album since Antichrist Superstar. Dynamic musically, great lyrics, intense feeling. Critics that dis this album are just hollow.
  12. May 2, 2012
    A definite improvement over The High End of Low. There's some good catchy tracks on here, several very fast and heavy ones, and lots in between. I was going to compare it to one of his past albums, but it sounds pretty unique. I've heard people saying it's the best since Holy Wood, but I wouldn't go that far. I think Holy Wood had much more depth lyrically and was overall a better album, but if you're one of those people who was disappointed with the last 3 albums, you'll probably find this one pretty refreshing. Expand
  13. May 2, 2012
    Definitely a leg up from his 2 previous albums. Born Villain contains some of his best (and heaviest) tracks to date, if I say so myself. A lot of people thought he was dead and gone, but this album says otherwise and proves them wrong. Perhaps his best work since Holy Wood.
  14. May 29, 2012
    Redirect to this page for better reviews of the album. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_Villain) Metacritic only seems to want to post the bad reviews of albums lately. This is a great and solid album from Marilyn Manson! Makes me want to go back and listen to the last two and give them another chance! Manson have never gotten the recognition he deserves but lucky he doesn't care about all that bullsh*t. I give the album 4 out of 5 stars! KEY TRACKS: Hey, Cruel World..., No Reflection, Overneath the Path of Misery, Slo-Mo-Tion, The Gardener Expand
  15. Dec 30, 2012
    Born Villain has been quoted as "Marilyn Manson's comeback!" by many people, and in many ways--it really is. Manson never really left, though his way of writing had changed completely back in 2003 with his release "The Golden Age of Grotesque". Focusing more on his personal life in relation to his lovers, Manson has been not as controversial and shocking as he had been in the past. The change from 2003 up until Born Villain released this year (2012) wasn't a bothersome to me at all--the new direction and style was something I enjoyed. Born Villain is a comeback in the context that he has returned to his former form which was involved with his music and song writing. The problem is that it's still not as amazing as his previous work where the focus was to be controversial and to stir people up with his art--while the previous albums with the opposite direction were still top-quality and much better than this album to an extent. Born Villain is nothing special musically, nor really lyrically. It sounds nothing like what he has done before, though the lyrics will remind you of Holy-Wood throughout the album. Expect something absolutely stunning for his next release (may there be one). Marilyn Manson is back to his old self, though Born Villain is not the comeback album--it's Manson who has had the comeback. Expand
  16. May 12, 2012
    Just above mediocre. Some tracks are poor (overneath the path of misery), others just dont quite work (youre so vain), or average (no reflection=boring). The rest has mainly been written well, but fails as it could have been simply sung better (too many to mention).. although there are one or two that are worth noting and are really great (lay down your goddamn arms, murderers are getting prettier every day). Overall theres still too much on here, and as a result is a very mixed bag-he really needs that vocal therapist in order to sing better, as theres a good songwriter in here.. but with some material worth noting, he's not quite dead yet. Some will argue that the last two albums were not as good, simply because they were less heavy tracks, but I prefer those albums to this-because I believe alot of this could have sounded or been sung better, I will regard this as a lazy effort. Expand
  17. May 25, 2012
    This is a pretty average and dull entry from MM. Save for a few songs, nothing on this record really sticks out. Not the lyrics, not the guitar work. It is definitely worth a listen for MM fans but I don't think people will find the MM comeback they want on this album.
  18. May 3, 2012
    Very mediocre effort from MM. High End of Low is a much better album than this. This album is full of hamfisted attempts at being dangerous and "heavy" and it just falls flat on its face. Jeordie White is a boring and one dimensional guitar player. He just chugs out dropped D riffs. No surprise that the best MM albums (ACS, MA, and Holy Wood) all had another guitar player involved in the writing and playing. Expand
  19. Aug 22, 2013
    though it's a vast improvement over the last two albums, i'm still not convinced that manson's still got it, which is kinda sad... ah well, the standouts include: hey, cruel world, overneath the path of misery and born villain, avoid breaking the same old ground like the plague.
  20. May 24, 2012
    Awful. MM should think long and hard before he craps out another album. Not musical, no suspense whatsoever. Dude, you're just not scary anymore! And I love MM's good albums like mechanical animals, that was an album to appreciate!
  21. Jun 24, 2012
    I really wanted to love this album, but Manson has lost his touch... The olden days with his cynical tongue and quick wit are gone, and instead we get left with the jarringly-blunt lyrics of songs like 'Pistol Whipped'... Granted, the album certainly isn't the worst thing to come out this year, but neither is it anywhere near the best... I'm praying that Manson can take a couple of years, reform and just produce an album worthy of the adoration his fans so want to give him... Worth a listen, but not a froth... Expand

1. May 25, 2012
    Like fine steak, Born Villain is at its best raw and bloody.
    Subject matter such as the aforementioned romanticism is refreshing, and maybe that will be pushed to the foreground in future records, but it only appears in spurts on Born Villain.
  3. May 21, 2012