9.1

Feb 5, 2004
    A Cathedral.
  2. gppatten
    Feb 7, 2004
    Expands on debut and "The Rat" is the best pure rock song in years
  3. JustinH
    Feb 9, 2004
    This CD is more consistent than their last, with better production.
  4. VinceH.
    May 18, 2005
    Unbelievaly great music. I was a fan of their first album, but not blown away. I loved the first 8 tracks, but felt that the end of that album just wasn't memorable or as interesting as the rest. This one completely blew my mind. The songwriting is 100 times better, the musicanship more confident and focused, and the tunes themselves just plain rock. Not a bad one on the whole thing. Unbelievaly great music. I was a fan of their first album, but not blown away. I loved the first 8 tracks, but felt that the end of that album just wasn't memorable or as interesting as the rest. This one completely blew my mind. The songwriting is 100 times better, the musicanship more confident and focused, and the tunes themselves just plain rock. Not a bad one on the whole thing. This is an album from a band that KNOWS what they want to do and how to do it. I can't wait for the next one. Expand
  5. ChrisW
    Feb 4, 2004
    Billboard and Rolling Stone no longer represent the masses.
  6. EliC
    Feb 4, 2004
    Love the Walkmen
  7. ToreF
    Oct 5, 2006
    Best CD ever made
  8. AshC
    Feb 4, 2007
    I think Brad's got it right. Perhaps it's the sequencing of the tracks, the lyrical content which seeps in subconsciously or the warmth of the production, there is just that something special about this album which lifts it above the other indie-rock competitors. Bows + Arrows creates a very pronounced late-night/drunken-yet-still-hopeful mood that lingers long after the final I think Brad's got it right. Perhaps it's the sequencing of the tracks, the lyrical content which seeps in subconsciously or the warmth of the production, there is just that something special about this album which lifts it above the other indie-rock competitors. Bows + Arrows creates a very pronounced late-night/drunken-yet-still-hopeful mood that lingers long after the final track. A genuine classic. Expand
  9. steveg
    Feb 25, 2004
    this record gives me hope for music. thank you walkmen
  10. JayO
    Feb 3, 2004
    Don't listen to the Rollingstone or Billboard reviews this album is definately near perfect sophomore album. Kind of a big shame to see both of the negative reviews but who wouldnt expect that stuff coming from a decrepit old critique rag like RS(which gave Britney 4 stars i fuckin believe!!) and a pop-loving outfit at Billboard.
  11. LizzieM
    Feb 9, 2004
    Good stuff. I rock out to this daily.
  12. wo
    Apr 5, 2004
    This is a great album, but I still like Everyone Who Pretended more. That one gets a 10, this one was just one notch down from there.
  13. jodyn
    Jul 20, 2004
    This album is absolutely amazing. From the very first note, you know that you are listening to something special. Their sound is flawless and refreshing.
  14. JehovahJoe
    Aug 12, 2004
    Metacritic has a low value for this album, I think it's the best of the year.
  15. TikiMan
    Feb 11, 2004
    This is an AMAZING album. The first time I heard it, only the first two tracks stood out but I was compelled to listen again and again and now every track has imprinted itself on my brain. Truly an exceptional piece of work.
    Jun 21, 2005
    Their first album was good but not neccessairly a "classic". Still, It showed a lot of promise. This album more than delivers that promise. This band has made one of the best rock albums in years with "Bows + Arrows".
  17. Brad
    Dec 19, 2004
    There's a great tired sadness/drunkeness in this band's sound. But the sadness isn't depressing because there's always a spark behind it all. People don't often mention lyrics when discussing this band but there's some great lines. Such as: "I see you with your new boyfriend. It's funny how you look at him. I know we won't be seeing him again." There's a great tired sadness/drunkeness in this band's sound. But the sadness isn't depressing because there's always a spark behind it all. People don't often mention lyrics when discussing this band but there's some great lines. Such as: "I see you with your new boyfriend. It's funny how you look at him. I know we won't be seeing him again." That's definately a keeper. Although alot of reviewers don't seem to "get" this album I also think it's Album of the Year. Fantastic. Expand
  18. Oct 9, 2013
    Still the greatest article from the best rock 'n' roll band of my time. There's not a lackluster moment among these 11 songs, and I couldn't recommend it more for all of the fellow sad-bastard, recovering Smiths fans out there. Hamilton Leithauser is a saint.

1. Overwhelmingly, it all adds up to an album that will never make a fuss in your collection, but every now and then you'll remember how much you love it.
  2. Though sonically similar to its predecessor, the new album sets aside whimsical wandering to make room for more straight-for-the-heart (by way of the throat) conviction; simply put, it rocks harder.
  3. Each of these songs displays a mastery of craft rarely heard.