• Record Label: ATO
  • Release Date: May 31, 2011
7.9

Review this album

1. May 31, 2011
    As a listener who straddles the fence between casual listener and MMJ fanatic I was genuinely impressed by this album. I was able to sit through the entire album without skipping any tracks, something rare these days, in my opinion. It created the same magic It Still Moves, Z, and Evil Urges did for me. Outta My System, Victory Dance, and Holdin' On To Black Metal are great songs forAs a listener who straddles the fence between casual listener and MMJ fanatic I was genuinely impressed by this album. I was able to sit through the entire album without skipping any tracks, something rare these days, in my opinion. It created the same magic It Still Moves, Z, and Evil Urges did for me. Outta My System, Victory Dance, and Holdin' On To Black Metal are great songs for anyone new to My Morning Jacket and existing fans. This album is definitely worth checking out. Expand
  2. Jun 6, 2011
    Amazing! Their greatest effort since the majestic "At Dawn". Victory Dance is one of the most exciting, moving intros to an album I've ever heard. Circuital and Outta My System are my other two favorites. Turn the lights low, put the head phones on and go for a wonderful 45 min. journey.
  3. Jun 1, 2011
    To my ears, this sounds more like the proper follow up to "Z" after the detour of Evil Urges. For all the varieties of sounds and styles, it certainly makes for a more cohesive listen than the previous release.
  4. Jun 1, 2011
    My Morning Jacket have come a long way. There masterpiece album "Z" still remains a milestone in music and The album after that, "Evil Urges" is a great album. Circuital is no "Z", but it is a very well produced record. They go back to there psychedelic roots from "Z" and it sounds better than ever. Jim Jame's voice has never sounded so hypnotic and absorbing. A lot of atmosphere in thisMy Morning Jacket have come a long way. There masterpiece album "Z" still remains a milestone in music and The album after that, "Evil Urges" is a great album. Circuital is no "Z", but it is a very well produced record. They go back to there psychedelic roots from "Z" and it sounds better than ever. Jim Jame's voice has never sounded so hypnotic and absorbing. A lot of atmosphere in this album that creates a good tone throughout the whole record. Victory Dance is the stand out track on this record. All In All, Circuital is a wonderful album and among the best that have come out this year. A- Expand
  5. Aug 6, 2013
    From the opening song to the end, this album continues My Morning Jacket's reign as one of the best bands of all time, albeit with what I consider three weak songs for them. I agree that the standard should be how many tracks one can listen to on any given album. And in this album, with most tracks very listenable and a number outstanding, it measures up to Z and exceeds some of itsFrom the opening song to the end, this album continues My Morning Jacket's reign as one of the best bands of all time, albeit with what I consider three weak songs for them. I agree that the standard should be how many tracks one can listen to on any given album. And in this album, with most tracks very listenable and a number outstanding, it measures up to Z and exceeds some of its predecessors.

With maximum exposure of Jim James, the lead singer and songwriter whose work no doubt was the center of this Louisville born band this album continues the strong musical performances of the band. The Zune audience has seven of the top sixteen songs members listen to are from this album, one of twelve albums on My Morning Jacket's Zune page. I would only get five into this list.

We have to wonder whether the band will survive the solo efforts of James, but so far this seems to have happened.

Is My Morning Jacket worth the trip through their entire repertoire? You bet. And in my view, this album is better than the 7.8 average given by listeners.
  6. Jun 20, 2011
    I have yet to give an album a ten on Metacritic until now. Such a good album, and no complaints here. My Morning Jacket keeps their jam rock sound while mixing in new experimental and psychedelic sounds into it.
  7. Jun 19, 2011
    MMJ delivers again with a more focused album than their last time out. From the first second of this album I was hooked and it gets better and better up until 'Holding on the Black Metal' which is one of the weirdest/best songs I have heard recently. The album kind of peters out after that, but is still fantastic nevertheless. Great album by one of the best bands in the business. Respect.
  8. Jun 24, 2011
    Review on Circuital here from Examiner Online...
  9. Sep 23, 2011
    An phenomenal record from start to finish. Their best work since It Still Moves, with Jim James sounding more soulful than ever before. It gave me chills.

1. Dec 14, 2011
    My Morning Jacket no longer sound like a band of curious adventurers perpetually at odds with their former selves, and consequently deliver an album that plays like a sort of kid-in-a-candy-shop, take-a-little-of-everything thrill ride. Predictably, results vary.
    Allowing their music to be filled with the goodness they inevitably churn out, My Morning Jacket has embraced the electrical currents that connect their music.
  3. Jun 21, 2011
    Circuital sees them negotiating their place in the world with heartening vigour. [July 2011, p. 103]