Comedown Machine - The Strokes
7.8

Review this album

1. Mar 26, 2013
    The Strokes took a turn into more popular music, which sounds like another solo album of Julian Casablancas. Don't get me wrong, The Strokes are doing a fine job, even in this last release Comedown Machine, but they aren't getting closer to what they did at the start of the Millennium. Comedown Machine is well produced one but The Strokes sounds like an old band recording an album without any special effort to impress or surprise anyone. That's not what I was expecting from this young fellows (5 Songs Per Artist Blog)

2. Sep 25, 2013
    They're The Strokes. Of course everyone is going to give 9's and 10's without even listening to the album. I love them, but this is awful. The worst part of it is that is is just boring. It starts out decent, although you know it is not even a shade on anything they've done previously. After the likeable 50/50, it just fizzles out and fades away. This made 'Angles' sound epic. That's saying something. Expand
  3. Apr 17, 2013
    I've heard a lot about this band and their supposedly amazing debut, but I haven't got around to listening to it yet. But I decided to give their latest release a try, seeing as it could well be the group's last album. Well, if that's the case, they're not going out with a bang. This is one of the weirdest albums I've ever heard barely audible voices, awful vocals, lyrics I can't make head or tail of, and a bunch of odd noises that send me reeling. It seems like something thrown together for a joke. The lead single, All The Time, is practically a crime against music. The only decent song is closing track, Call It Fate, Call It Karma, which is a beautiful ballad and a glimpse into what the album could have been. I've heard a lot of fans say that their debut was their opus and they slowly declined from there, so I'm surprised that most of them seem satisfied with this. I expected more effort from a final album. Expand
  4. Sep 14, 2013
    Very disappointing, I was hoping the similarly underwhelming Angles was due to a bit of rustiness but apparently not. Casablancas sounds odd throughout, and too many songs rely on quirky twee high-pitched guitar work that quickly becomes irritating. All the time proves they haven't lost the ability to make brilliant garage-rock anthems but evidently they just don't want to anymore.

For all the loving homages to past recording techniques, they sound laboured and bored. [May 2013, p.84]
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    It’s wilful experimentation with no pay-off, sounding lonely, old, with only the occasional, tempting flicker of a genius that once burnt bright.
  3. May 10, 2013
    Comedown Machine may not quite hit the heights of the band's masterpiece-to-date, but it continues the band's healthy trend of finding curious new ways to twist and complicate its by-now instinctively recognizable sound. [No. 98, p.60]