Commencement

9.0

Review this album

1. RoxanneM.
    Jul 29, 2002
    The sound of Elijah's voice just makes you quiver because its so beautiful and the music sends shivers down my spine.
  2. Laurel
    Jul 4, 2002
    i cant put into words how amazing deadsy is.
  3. AmandaS.
    Jun 25, 2002
    ive been a fan of deadsy's for about two yrs. i love the album and neone who doesnt sux cus they probably like to sit around and listen to whiny music like linkin park! so whatever.
  4. JamesR.
    Jun 8, 2002
    It's cool... New wave Metal?!?
  5. MonicaB.
    Jul 15, 2002
    I think this is a grate album. I love the different style the have. And I like how it's not so dark, it's quite colorful.
  6. skippi
    Jul 9, 2002
    I dont really like to stereotype and say that I dont listen to "Goth", but its the truth. I'm a hip-hopper mixed with some New Found Glory and Rufio mixed in there somewhere, and overall, I'm totally glad I bought this CD. When's the next one comin ?????
  7. Pangaeaa
    Jan 9, 2003
    I got this album immediately after hearing one of there songs...they are not rip-offs and they are truly unique anyone who isnt a fan of Deadsy is missing out because Deadsy offers a different kind of music that isnt heard often so im with Sally Ragdoll... E- online, Entertainment WEAKLY... Blender and everyone else who just doesnt see can kiss my ass as well ;P This message was recorded I got this album immediately after hearing one of there songs...they are not rip-offs and they are truly unique anyone who isnt a fan of Deadsy is missing out because Deadsy offers a different kind of music that isnt heard often so im with Sally Ragdoll... E- online, Entertainment WEAKLY... Blender and everyone else who just doesnt see can kiss my ass as well ;P This message was recorded with my full knowledge thank you and have a nice day hehe ;) Expand
  8. KatrinaR
    Apr 8, 2003
    Deadsy is the most coolest band ever. Not only are they original they are extremely sexually exciting to listen to. I will spread the gospel. Katrina
  9. DaveG
    Jun 16, 2005
    Overall, excellent, intricate, well done cd
  10. DawnealS.
    Oct 19, 2002
    i love it and
  11. LaurenW.
    Jun 1, 2002
    Actually I give it a 10+! The people who rate any lower than an 8 are close-minded and stupid, unable to open the dimensions of their mind to another type of music, a type of music with a story to tell. I've had this album since before it came out (hacking skills!) and have been promoting like a muv to get these guys going. Deadsy rocks!
  12. Mary
    Jun 28, 2002
    I think that they are briliant! i love Orgy and these guys sound like them but they are a little more screwed up in the head. I mean this in a good way.
  13. VNVNATIONJOCKALINGOFF
    Jun 7, 2002
    Deadsy brings back synth-pop in a whole new, Great sounding way. There video is awsome, there style is awsome, LIMP BIZKIT SUCKS! I gave it a 10 but it should have got an 11. People who give it less then a 8 prolly rated the eminem album a 10, hahaha, theres something that should get a 0.
  14. JimR.
    Jul 15, 2002
    Melodic, melancholic and monumental. There's groundbreaking stuff here, if only people wouldn't stop listening beyond the words 'Cher' and 'Orgy', both of which have nothing to do with this band's sound.
  15. LucasA.
    Jul 18, 2002
    Deadsy has a very unique sound, and it has a very different concept than anything that you would hear in music right now.
  16. TravisG.
    Jul 20, 2002
    Deadsy has a totally new sound different from all of the popular music of today that drives hordes of mindless drones into liking music because everyone else thinks they do. They are sincerely an awesome band, the future of rock. Deprogram yourself from the cult of POP by listening to this CD, if you dont like this band, chances are you liked N'Sync because they were 'hot'...
  17. SaraR.
    Jul 26, 2002
    OMG this cd so kicks serious ass!! It is different from the usual music these days and I don't see how ANYONE couldn't love their music! Deadsy rocks and I am hoping that they'll make more cd's! Oh and just to say it I think that P. Exeter Blue I is so HOT!!! I love their style of music!!!
  18. MichelleElise
    Jul 8, 2002
    Deadsy rules! This is one of the best albums I've listened to yet. I can't wait to see them in concert! Deadsy forever!!!
  19. BethB.
    Aug 1, 2002
    I thought it was really good, the vocals(Elijah)Kick a$$ and the synthizisers(Renn)were really cool!!!!! They have a very different sound from the regular metal/alternative/rock band and thats what makes them cool. And If U don't like them or there music then thats u'r problum. SO GET USE 2 IT!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. MarckR.
    Aug 16, 2002
    Deadsy... that's all i need to say.
  21. RyeS.
    Aug 4, 2002
    THis is one of the most amazing CD's have ever heard, the second I heard it I knew that there was something diffrent. If you are one of those stuck in the mind numbing world of pop detach yourself for long enough to listen to this CD.
  22. ShannonO.
    Aug 5, 2002
    They are the future of music, refreshing and mature
  23. SativaK.
    Aug 8, 2002
    This is a wonderful cd. P Exeter Blue has deep lyrics and the only reason others don't love it is because they still dig nsync and all the other pop groups. You rock all you deadsy fans!
  24. jermots
    Sep 5, 2002
    these guys are amasing!!! KoRn knows who's who when it comes to their lable......wicked CD, that's all that's needed to be said
  25. luciusc
    Mar 2, 2003
    amazingly innovative....contrary to what most think, deadsy influenced orgy, not vice versa.
  26. NickM
    Sep 19, 2003
    Deadsy is one of the most creative and fresh bands to come along in some time. There were a couple of tracks on their album that I didn't care for, but overall it was good. And I anticipate that they will only get better. They are a breath of fresh air for me after years of having to stomach boring, uninspired rock music.
  27. ToliyR
    Sep 9, 2004
    I loved this album ever since I first heard it, I hate reading reviews about it since most people are too caught up with the shit on Mtv to enjoy Deadsy's combination of the the old synthesiser and the new rock melodies.
  28. Tiffany
    Dec 10, 2002
    Best album of the millenium. If you don't own this album you're missing out. They sound like nothing out today and if someone says they do i will personally kick your ass. They are not Orgy rip-offs. Deadsy came out before them.
  29. ShayTwelve-Nineteen
    Dec 24, 2002
    I don't care what any magazine says, Deadsy, though seemingly cheesy and Orgy-esque on the surface actually has its roots before Orgy was even a band. Jay Gordon was actually considering joining Deadsy before he went off and formed Orgy. Aside from having a long history, they have an incredible sense of art and drama that is just astounding, and something that I myself can connect I don't care what any magazine says, Deadsy, though seemingly cheesy and Orgy-esque on the surface actually has its roots before Orgy was even a band. Jay Gordon was actually considering joining Deadsy before he went off and formed Orgy. Aside from having a long history, they have an incredible sense of art and drama that is just astounding, and something that I myself can connect to. Screw Rolling Stone, they're overrated and commercialistic anyway. Expand
  30. sallyseashell
    Dec 27, 2002
    i think its actually abouve 10.deadsy is definately the best damn band of all time!also with Elijah's voice and the mix of the keyboards is kickass.people who diss deadsy are dumbasses who have no taste in music!!!!
  31. AndreaD.
    Oct 3, 2002
    This is one of the best albums I have ever heard! There isn't anybody that sounds like them right now! IF ANYONE SAYS DIFFRENT I'LL KICK THEIR ASS!!!!!
  32. me
    Jun 10, 2002
    this cd kicks major ass, they have aa awesome sound, i love the keyboards. who ever thinks deadsy sucks is missing out on some really good music.
  33. AshleyH.
    Jun 23, 2002
    I absolutely love this album. Yeah, they remind me of Orgy (and they'd probably hate me for saying that) but I love them both.
  34. HalieT.
    Jun 5, 2002
    I love this cd. The songs are great and they really put their all into it. I don't care what anyone else says but I think it deserves a 10.
  35. RDeMoss
    Jul 1, 2002
    The CD is excellent , different but good. It gives you a taste of the future of music. The mix of 80's influenced keyboards, heavy down-tuned guitars, and monotone vocals, give these guys an edge over most competition. The kind of edge that represents no fear in taking risks, instead of just going the flow. In closing I recommend that everyone listen to it...and to those who just The CD is excellent , different but good. It gives you a taste of the future of music. The mix of 80's influenced keyboards, heavy down-tuned guitars, and monotone vocals, give these guys an edge over most competition. The kind of edge that represents no fear in taking risks, instead of just going the flow. In closing I recommend that everyone listen to it...and to those who just dont get.......stick to your main-stream. Expand
  36. Kelly
    Jul 14, 2002
    This album is incredibly thought-provoking. I read the E!music review i think that whoever wrote that has no appreciation for goth music. This cd has a sound that hasn't been around for a while. I love it and would recommend it to anyone brave enough to discover that there's always something else out there, something more.
  37. KreamerHD
    Jul 21, 2002
    One question...do the above magazines only hire music critics that still listen to Folk music? Deadsy's sound uses a mix of different tastes and combines them into something that hits You in the eardrum. By the way I give Folk music a -0.
  38. Melissa
    Jul 25, 2002
    Deadsy's cd is awsome. They have a unique sound, which makes them stand out from other bands. Not to mention all the guys r mad hot ;). RAWK ON!
  39. KellyA.
    Jul 3, 2002
    i bought the album today. loved it from first litsen. i had heard about it in AP and thought that it sounded like something i'd like so i put the idea to buy it into the back of my mind. today i just happened to stumble across it amongst the cheesy tired pop that fills the shelves in most music stores. after listening to part of the first track i was hooked. i find it intelligent and i bought the album today. loved it from first litsen. i had heard about it in AP and thought that it sounded like something i'd like so i put the idea to buy it into the back of my mind. today i just happened to stumble across it amongst the cheesy tired pop that fills the shelves in most music stores. after listening to part of the first track i was hooked. i find it intelligent and enticing. Expand
  40. Laura
    Aug 11, 2002
    This is the greatest CD I have ever heard. Everyone should own Commencement, it's absolutely amazing. So many people say Deadsy sounds "familiar"...but we all know they love it, otherwise they wouldn't listen to the other band(s) that sounds somewhat alike. Deadsy mixes styles like I've never heard before...thats why I give this album a perfect 10!
  41. JenS.
    Aug 12, 2002
    how could anyone not like this cd?? if u dont like it, you are seriously fuckedup!!!
  42. ChristinaP.
    Aug 19, 2002
    All of the critics who said this album would do bad will be eating their words soon! This album is amazing and I love it, it's not like every single other album out there ala britney spears....It's time for something new and something good.
  43. AubryS.
    Aug 21, 2002
    This in my opinion was an wonderful Cd. Its refreshing to hear a truly deep, mature voice come along instead of all those boybands that sound like casturated chipmonks.Elijah does a wonderful job with that. The lyrics, which obviously play of urantia belifes are for once inspiring an proves that you dont have to b a friggin devil worshiper to be "hardcore". The synths provided by Renn and This in my opinion was an wonderful Cd. Its refreshing to hear a truly deep, mature voice come along instead of all those boybands that sound like casturated chipmonks.Elijah does a wonderful job with that. The lyrics, which obviously play of urantia belifes are for once inspiring an proves that you dont have to b a friggin devil worshiper to be "hardcore". The synths provided by Renn and Carelton are elctrifying and unique. Although the Cd can be a bit monotinous and at times sond like orgy on a downer, it can also be exhillerating and fill you with discontent. Im glad to see that some of the old favorites from there past 2 cd's made it onto this one and remember Jay Gordon did have a hand in creating this Cd(vocals and bass). Its no lying that Deadsy is an aquired taste, but those that can like them will love them. No doubt Expand
  44. Tamera
    Aug 22, 2002
    I really love the retro vibe! I crank this album up everytime i get in the car. This is so much better than most of the crap on the radio these days.
  45. RozRoz
    Aug 28, 2002
    I first heard Deadsy this summer with Korn. Deadsy opened and really loved what I heard. I have never heard of them before and as far as I am concerned, I would rather have heard 2 hours of Deadsy than only 45minutes. I think Deadsy carries their own original sound. It has that rock/goth sound and I find it attractable. If you don't like Deadsy, thats your problem...but don't go I first heard Deadsy this summer with Korn. Deadsy opened and really loved what I heard. I have never heard of them before and as far as I am concerned, I would rather have heard 2 hours of Deadsy than only 45minutes. I think Deadsy carries their own original sound. It has that rock/goth sound and I find it attractable. If you don't like Deadsy, thats your problem...but don't go bashing their CD. Deadsy is at the top of my list right now and I am spreading the word. Not to many people know of them, but I have a feeling that their big break is going to happen soon. Expand
  46. theeternalpupil
    Aug 6, 2002
    Do you really think Deadsy gives a damn what the critics are saying? The fans are what really counts! This Cd along with their self-titled and the original Commencement are all amazing. Their sound is different, and maybe the people who rated this CD so poorly are afraid of change. But all in all, Elijah's voice and guitar, Renn's keyboards, Carlton's synth, Ashburn's Do you really think Deadsy gives a damn what the critics are saying? The fans are what really counts! This Cd along with their self-titled and the original Commencement are all amazing. Their sound is different, and maybe the people who rated this CD so poorly are afraid of change. But all in all, Elijah's voice and guitar, Renn's keyboards, Carlton's synth, Ashburn's bass, and Alec's drums make a perfect blend of music and lyrics, something to definatley look forward to in the future. [And as a nice little bonus, they are all hot off their asses!] Expand
  47. KimA.
    Sep 13, 2002
    I bought this album because I read a couple of good reviews and the way they described the music sounded like something I would like. I'm so glad I did! This album totally rocks. I love Elijah's beautiful deep voice. And I don't care what anyone else says, they are all fuckin' sexy!
  48. DeadHead
    Sep 19, 2002
    this is the best album ive seen in awhile,Theres just something about the lyrics thier haunting yet peaceful.I luv them 4 cryin out loud their name is in my email.i think eveyone should get a copy of this i would rather c 2 hours of them than Korn and im a huge Korn fan
  49. SeanG
    Feb 22, 2003
    Commencement and all Deadsy songs rock,and I would die for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  50. BeebeF
    Mar 11, 2003
    Deadsy dare to be different in the world of music today. They are keeping the genre that was so popular in the 80's alive. They don't take themselves too seriously and have created something special for fans. Something unlike any other artist ever.
  51. Andrea
    Mar 31, 2003
    At first i was like this is diffrent but after 3 songs i loved it! It's so awesome!
  52. mike
    Apr 1, 2003
    I gave this cd a 10 because it was the highest number available to give. If i could have given more I would. Commencement is one of the best cds I've bought in a while and Deadsy is one of the most original sounding bands out there. Listen to the lyrics and go to the DEADSY website, it explains everything about them and why they are here making such great music. They arent like most I gave this cd a 10 because it was the highest number available to give. If i could have given more I would. Commencement is one of the best cds I've bought in a while and Deadsy is one of the most original sounding bands out there. Listen to the lyrics and go to the DEADSY website, it explains everything about them and why they are here making such great music. They arent like most bands just out making music to do it, they believe they are here for a purpose. And so do I. I love Deadsy and if I never found them I would never have found the key to grammercy park. See you all in the mansion world fuckers! Expand
  53. RaevynA
    Apr 27, 2003
    I first heard of Deadsy on Mtv when my friends and i were playing cards and not really paying attention. When "the key to gramercy park" came on we all dropped or cards and stared open mouthed at the tv, when it was over we looked at each other and said " I HAVE to hear more!" We downloaded a few songs and loved them even more!. We all now have Commencement, and the more I listen to it I first heard of Deadsy on Mtv when my friends and i were playing cards and not really paying attention. When "the key to gramercy park" came on we all dropped or cards and stared open mouthed at the tv, when it was over we looked at each other and said " I HAVE to hear more!" We downloaded a few songs and loved them even more!. We all now have Commencement, and the more I listen to it the more i fall in love with them. Deadsy is just what we need in music, something different and extremely creative. Also, through Carlton I also found Lunarclick, my now second favorite band. *swoons* Anyone who says that Deadsy is something other than great should be shot and probably arent thinking for themselves as an individual anyways. (im not going to shoot anyone, just as a disclaimer to save my own ass) Thank you Deadsy!! Expand
  54. Aaron
    Jul 13, 2003
    Really amazing cd
  55. MegDePo
    Jul 26, 2003
    Deadsy is the best band ever. it the type of band u either get or you dont but it you dont get uit you shouldnt critize it. they have their own special sound, when people say they sound like Orgy is crazy because deadsy was out befor orgy, so instead of orgy getting the credit I think the credit is due to Deadsy. I can listen to their whole cd without skipping a song, its def. the best cd Deadsy is the best band ever. it the type of band u either get or you dont but it you dont get uit you shouldnt critize it. they have their own special sound, when people say they sound like Orgy is crazy because deadsy was out befor orgy, so instead of orgy getting the credit I think the credit is due to Deadsy. I can listen to their whole cd without skipping a song, its def. the best cd i have ever gotten and they are the best band. UNDERCORE! Expand
  56. Xion
    Apr 26, 2004
    Deadsy is my favorite band and this CD is possable the best thing i got (it was a Christmas present from my best friend.) i can listen to the whole CD with skipping a track or fast forewarding. it barely leaves my CD player and it is the first thing i listen to evry day.
  57. eleanorrigby
    Jul 7, 2004
    this cd kicks major f**king ass, and for those who say it sux, u suk!
  58. KevinB.
    Oct 17, 2002
    This cd is the best cd i have bought in a while!
  59. dfhaheh
    May 18, 2002
    kick ass stuff here!
  60. KittyL.
    Jun 13, 2002
    This is the great cd! Deadsy rulz!
  61. Jaymes26Riyan
    Jun 17, 2002
    This industrial outfit has finaly got its day.I"ve been into this band since 97 and been a fan ever since.To anyone who dosent know about Deadsy,"just think Gary Numan meets Marylin Manson.I love "Commencement", I give it a 9 cause nothing is ever a perfect 10.
  62. ChristopherP.
    Jun 18, 2002
    I believe that people who usually vote here are scewed to likeing old and unknown artists that dislike the some of the really good groups out there like DEADSY. With the genius sounds and mixtures with state of the art sounds Deadsy is fun to listen to and makes great part music so voice your oppinion on this great part of the music world.
  63. MilesM.
    Jun 24, 2002
    i thought this album was great and they should come out with a new cd of their music.
  64. KellyO.
    Jul 13, 2002
    This album rocks! It's one of those rare albums that one can listen to the entire cd, withour skipping. Everyone should have a copy of Commencement.
  65. Amber
    Jul 25, 2002
    This cd is so kick ass, anyone who doesn't like Deadsys cd is missing out on great music, its got a different sound and thats good to hear something different.
  66. JulesT
    Jul 26, 2002
    Despite what those stupid critics may say, I think that Deadsy is one of the greatest bands out right now.
  67. tygimp
    Jan 16, 2003
    This album totally fuckin rocks, this is better than what's out there right now. this album is worth its weight in gold cause it can't get any better than that.
  68. AmberW
    Jun 18, 2003
    I think this cd is the best I have heard ina really long time. Deadsy has a new and exciting sound and I love them for creating some new and interesting. The more you listen to Deadsy the more you start to love them. I think they are one of the best bands out there, and whoever thinks Deadsy isn't good doesn't get it and good more for the true fans!
  69. grace
    Jul 15, 2003
    I strongly feel as though deadsy is oneof the greatest bands of all time. They are completely in their own catagory of greatness and better than anything on the radio.Their music takes me to a far away place that I only wish that everyone else could hear and see what I do. Deadsy is the fucking greatest!!!!!!!!!!
  70. SallyRagdoll
    Nov 29, 2002
    It's different, the music is mesmerizing and amazing, the lyrics are just astounding, and E! Online can kiss my ass!!!
  71. AshleyM.
    Dec 22, 2002
    WOW! What can I say? Deadsy is great in their own way, and are too awesome to explain I words! Listening to them puts me in a mood I've never been in before. And they're so HOTT!! Flowing Glower all the way! Don't Knock it till you try it, right? YEAH

1. It's enough to make you think Deadsy are all a hilariously high-concept prank. Which it is, um, right?
  2. Alternative Press
    Deadsy's mix of electronics, death-metal distortion and lugubrious vocals offers something magnificently alien, yet familiar. [Jun 2002, p.69]
  3. Deadsy crosses cheesy new wave keyboards, metal guitars and overwrought gothic drama in a way that just never jells.