Common Courtesy - A Day to Remember
8.3

Review this album

1. Nov 25, 2013
    After a long awaited 3 years, we have A Day to Remember's 5th album "Common Courtesy." Fans were left in the dark for that time, as the band battled with a brutal lawsuit against their label. On December 21st, 2012, they released the song "Violence" from Common Courtesy. A heavier tone compared to their last two albums, and it left me feeling uneasy with how they were going to approach what was coming. Thankfully, the album is enjoyable enough to leave me smiling until their next release. Unlike their other albums, Common Courtesy is a blend of different sounds. Whether it's songs like "City of Ocala" that give off the heavy pop-punk sound, "Sometimes You're the Hammer, Sometimes You're the Nail" for a post-hardcore sound, or "I Surrender" to ease us with a slower sound. Though, the bad thing about this is how choppy the pace of the album is. One second you're listening to the acoustic song "I'm Already Gone", then you're listening to a near death-core "Life Lessons Learned the Hard Way". Though every song off of the album is superb, it doesn't flow very well. Something else to be noted are McKinnon's vocals. He has come a long way since his For Those Who Have Heart days, and he has far more mature uncleans and cleans this time around. I have a hard time finding anything wrong with the album. Every song is extremely enjoyable, and they cover a series of topics from a simple tribute to the bands hometown, to the battle against Victory Records. The album is wonderful. You would have to dig really deep to find anything wrong with Common Courtesy. Expand
  2. Nov 25, 2013
    Greatest album of the year if not the decade do far. Changed it up to their roots and from the heart. Good change from the last album especially with the messy break up with victory records. If anything this is just the beginning of a very bright future for this band. Great job guys keep doing what you're doing.
  3. Sep 30, 2014
    I absolutely love it. A Day To Remember have been my favourite band for a long time now, and they've certainly outdone themselves with this album. Amazing.
  4. Mar 16, 2014
    Common Courtesy is heavy. What more is there to say? Screamer vocals and aggressive, tense riffs combine to make something that is bordering a metal fans heaven. The album also consists of occasional slower tracks, but overall is a fast paced, aggressive masterpiece. I still feel it may be outdone by Homesick, but I cannot complain; it's (almost) perfect.
  5. Aug 15, 2014
    I've been a big fan of ADTR since, "Homesick", and "What Separates Me From You" (too bad they are ot on Metacritic list). I've listened to "Violence (Enough is Enough)", "Right Back At It Again", "Best of Me", "End of Me", "I Already Gone", "I Remember", and "Sometimes Your The Nails, Sometimes Your The Hammer". they got awesome track before, right? No wonder they were not on Metacritic walls before.... Expand

1. Dec 11, 2013
    It's hard not to find something to like here no matter where your tastes may lie.
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    Impressive act of defiance or not, when the dust has settled, this will also be rightly remembered as simply a great album. [19 Oct 2013, p.52]
  3. With Common Courtesy...love it or hate it as you will...A Day To Remember is getting started all over again. And the album ensures that this band hasn't yet seen the peak of its popularity.