8.0

Review this album

1. Sep 3, 2010
    An amazing album that is meant to be listened from front to back. If you're iffy on it after the first listen do yourself a favour and listen to it in its entirety a couple more times. This album will grow on you but as most reviews indicate, do not expect Kids or Time to Pretend type tracks.
  2. Apr 6, 2013
    A psychedelic masterpiece. My blanket guess is that you if you don't like this beautiful album, it's because you expected something along the lines of "Electric Feel" and "Time to Pretend" for MGMT's second album, and you didn't get it with Congratulations. While that is indeed a shame, it's not MGMT's fault. These two geniuses know more theory and have more creativity in their bones thanA psychedelic masterpiece. My blanket guess is that you if you don't like this beautiful album, it's because you expected something along the lines of "Electric Feel" and "Time to Pretend" for MGMT's second album, and you didn't get it with Congratulations. While that is indeed a shame, it's not MGMT's fault. These two geniuses know more theory and have more creativity in their bones than anything in Orac. Spec. hinted at, and Congratulations proves that without question. I mean, just the opener "It's Working." The chord progressions they build are nothing short of truly unique and memorable, while still groovy and flowing. Intricately-woven melodies abound, and the keen, simple-but-lush production is the icing on the cake. It's brilliant, and better than their first record by a notable amount. Get over "Kids" and get into "Siberian Breaks." You'll thank yourself. Expand
  3. Sep 14, 2013
    MGMT are more artistic then they ever have been.I guess only Tv on the radio and Pixies are allowed to be experimental not a use to be electro pop band.This world is so hypocritical and judgmental, MGMT said it best in the masterpiece song Flash delirium "The hot dog's is getting cold And you'll never be as good as the Rolling Stones "what a great line.Oh my god this world sucks.
  4. Dec 18, 2010
    After a couple almost full attentioned listens, I feel this album is much stronger than their first album. It won't wow you with immediate singles, but it is mesmerizing through it's entirety and I like the 12 minute Siberian Breaks. They seem to have nailed down a consistent sound with this album.
  5. Dec 30, 2010
    An amazing second album by MGMT. The sound of this album is just beautiful. They've really matured since their first album Oracular Spectacular. The album opens up with "It's Working" and that song is like the definition of psychedelic rock. And the song "Congratulations" is just a beautiful song to end the album with. All In All, Congratulations is one of my favorite Psychedelic albums. A-
  6. Jul 30, 2011
    An awesome sophomore album. One of the better album to come out this generation of **** music. Siberian Breaks is on of the greatest songs to listen to while stoned. It blows your **** mind!
  7. Dec 24, 2011
    i remember when i first heard that MGMT made a follow-up to "Oracular Spectacular", i just figured it would be another album filled with stereotypical pop singles like "kids" or "electric feel". I rarely say what I'm about to say so do not take this lightly. This album has honestly changed my life in terms of how much more i value creativity and all of that sub-conscious nonsense. Thisi remember when i first heard that MGMT made a follow-up to "Oracular Spectacular", i just figured it would be another album filled with stereotypical pop singles like "kids" or "electric feel". I rarely say what I'm about to say so do not take this lightly. This album has honestly changed my life in terms of how much more i value creativity and all of that sub-conscious nonsense. This album is more than just an emulation of the 1960's and a psychedelic acid trip. It isn't the typical Sitar-and-excessive-reverb-type music you'd expect judging off of the album cover. It's more of a combination between garage, surf, and freakbeat with a little psych. It isn't the type of album you'll fall in love with at first (which is what the mgmt crowd was expecting) like it was with its' predecessor, but this was the case for me with a few of the songs. "It's Working" (the first track) is the song that attracted me to the album, probably my favorite song but i'm certain that it isn't the best because i haven't met a person who has agreed with me on this.I especially admire the band because, instead of taking the indie-rock approach which most current bands are taking,i they are setting the bar high by making a rock-star approach. Expand
  8. Jan 29, 2013
    The reason why so many people were disappointed with this album, was because they expected songs like kids, time to pretend, and electric feel. If you listen to oracular spectacular all the way through, the last few songs give you a glimpse of congratulation's feel. This music isn't for everyone, plain and simple. If you are true MGMT fan, you understand this album as whole. MGMT doesn'tThe reason why so many people were disappointed with this album, was because they expected songs like kids, time to pretend, and electric feel. If you listen to oracular spectacular all the way through, the last few songs give you a glimpse of congratulation's feel. This music isn't for everyone, plain and simple. If you are true MGMT fan, you understand this album as whole. MGMT doesn't make music; they make art, which was demonstrated in this album. My favorite tracks are "siberian breaks" and "flash delerium" Expand
  9. Jul 27, 2013
    A strong album all the way through that doesn't suffer from high highs and low lows like their first did. It gets somewhat repetitive on two tracks at the most, but it's a much more sincere album that really sounds like something the band enjoys making.
  10. Jun 1, 2013
    I'm just gonna start by saying that the album cover is pretty friggin' amazing. Its not something you see everyday. The songs are great. Lady Dada's Nightmare, I Found A Whistle, and Siberian Breaks are my favorite songs on this album.
  11. Apr 7, 2014
    I LOVE LOVE this album. Every song on it has a different and unique sound. My favorite song is Flash Delirium. At first listen I thought wth was that? But then I had to listen to it again and again. Siberian Breaks is beautiful and I love every psychedelic second of it. Each time I listened to the album I noticed something different and the more it grew on me. Congratulations isI LOVE LOVE this album. Every song on it has a different and unique sound. My favorite song is Flash Delirium. At first listen I thought wth was that? But then I had to listen to it again and again. Siberian Breaks is beautiful and I love every psychedelic second of it. Each time I listened to the album I noticed something different and the more it grew on me. Congratulations is incredibly creative both in lyrics and in sound. This album is a masterpiece and severely underrated. Expand

1. This airy prog-psych self-indulgence is merely an elaboration of the back half of that debut--the half I tuned out then but appreciate some now, because, even as self-indulgent elaborations go, the follow-up's a doozy.
  2. Cowbells and organ chords set the frenetic pace for this crazed and eerie take on surf music that namechecks the godfather of ambient in its punkest track.
  3. MGMT's first long-player may have included catchier singles, but Congratulations is the better album, trading Oracular's deceptive superficiality for psychedelic grandeur. Of course, like all psychedelic things, that grandeur is pretty deceptive, too.