• Record Label: XL
  • Release Date: Jan 12, 2010
6.8

Review this album

1. Apr 17, 2017
    When I finally got to like their previous - and first - album, didn't think there was room for improvement, since it was already a near-perfect work. But 'Contra' made myself feel weird when saying "Vampire Weekend is the best album ever".
  2. Oct 23, 2016
    I think that a music in this album is the best that i ever heard in my entire life, Taxi Cab is the one Vampire Weekend is a must listen for sure! They made my music life a better life!
  3. Dec 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Contra é o trabalho de Vampire Weekend que eu menos gosto. Para vocês verem como a banda é espetacular. O álbum reflete muito bem a sua mensagem, com suas letras exóticas e seus ritmos africanos + novaiorquinos. Belo trabalho, Vampire Weekend. Vocês acertaram mais uma vez.

Pontos altos: Taxi Cab, Giving Up The Gun, Run
    Pontos baixos: California English, I Think UR a Contra, Diplomat's Son
  4. May 24, 2015
    I find it hard to understand Contra's tendency to be the most disliked Vampire Weekend album. It is the perfect follow-up to 'Vampire Weekend', the band's first album, and it contains many of the things which made it marvellous, but with different flavours and a wider array of influences, such as classical, synthpop, ska, and reggae. The songs are all at the standard Vampire WeekendI find it hard to understand Contra's tendency to be the most disliked Vampire Weekend album. It is the perfect follow-up to 'Vampire Weekend', the band's first album, and it contains many of the things which made it marvellous, but with different flavours and a wider array of influences, such as classical, synthpop, ska, and reggae. The songs are all at the standard Vampire Weekend calibre, and that is an amazing feat in itself. Some of the stand-out tracks include I Think Ur A Contra (my personal favourite), Giving Up The Gun, and Diplomat's Son. Expand
  5. Mar 5, 2015
    This album is just as amazing as the first and third. With fantastic songs like Diplomat's Son, and some of Vampire Weekend's more popular tracks like Holiday and Cousins, there's no way someone could deny this album's glowing perfection!
  6. Jan 15, 2015
    Contra feels spontaneous but precisely methodical, joyful but profoundly melancholic, frenetic but sensible, free-spirited but analytical, and old but also brand and originally new. It's not a cohesive group of sounds we haven't already heard before: it's way much worked and mature. It has maximized Vampire Weekend's intentions and power to another frontier. It's outstanding!
  7. Mar 30, 2014
    My favorite album of all time. This is a true masterpiece. Vampire Weekend perfects their style that was revealed to us with their debut. I can't even give a standout song because they're all flawless and perfect. Everybody who's in to indie rock, alternative, or even trying to get into alternative, owe it to themselves to hear this. A true masterpiece.
  8. Jan 23, 2014
    Contra is a bright, bold, fun and exciting 2nd album from Vampire Weekend, where there aren't really any bad songs at all, and no rough patches. This is a clean, and limitless nearby masterpiece.
  9. Dec 25, 2013
    One of my favourite albums of the 21st century. It combines their upbeat, feel good music with a distinct African vibe. Very well written and composed, I highly recommend this.
  10. Nov 25, 2013
    This is one of the most unique albums I've heard in recent memory. Maybe even of all time. How an album this adventurous reaches #1 on Billboard is a mystery.

Apparently Contra refers to four things. On the surface, this record's about a breakup. On top of that, he's added stuff about an 80s videogame called "Contra", Nicaraguan politics, and an album by the Clash called Sandinista! that he quotes and references several times throughout. What the I don't give a about Nicaragua, old videogames, or the unsatisfying follow-up to London Calling. Why would you load your album with all that?

But that hardly matters. What I get from this is some guy who's been into all of these things recently and needed to put them all under one umbrella, using the word Contra to bring them together. I can't blame him for that; he's just writing about what he knows. In fact, his mind jumping around random subjects makes the central part of this the breakup aspect a lot stronger. It seems counterintuitive considering the other stuff would DETRACT from that, but to me it doesn't. The last track, the only one without all the Clash/Nicaragua/videogame bull****, is incredibly satisfying whereas in any other setting it would be a blowoff of a breakup song.

Now this is definitely a departure from Vampire Weekend's self-titled debut, but that's a good thing. I liked a lot from that, but it's not too revisitable. Fortunately, improvements have been made in the right places. The falsetto has been laid off except on the last track, where it fits. There is little to no filler on here. The incomprehensible lyrics are still incomprehensible, but actually do flow with one another.

You're a pretentious band, but that's what you do. You've done absolutely everything to improve on your last record.

I give this an eight out of ten, almost a nine, but not quite one. I hoped it would be higher considering all the great stuff I've been hearing. But it's good enough, and a must-listen for anyone.

STANDOUT TRACKS: HORCHATA, HOLIDAY, CALIFORNIA ENGLISH, TAXI CAB, COUSINS, GIVING UP THE GUN, I THINK UR A CONTRA
  11. Nov 2, 2013
    [9.3] Contra has a lot of things that Vampire Weekend clearly wants, and clearly recognizes that they didn't have them before. Their debut was self-admittedly pure fun, and while the songwriting was smart, catchy, and generally accessible, it was clearly an exhibition of influence. They wanted very much to get right in your face, and tell you "look at what we know." There is certainly no[9.3] Contra has a lot of things that Vampire Weekend clearly wants, and clearly recognizes that they didn't have them before. Their debut was self-admittedly pure fun, and while the songwriting was smart, catchy, and generally accessible, it was clearly an exhibition of influence. They wanted very much to get right in your face, and tell you "look at what we know." There is certainly no problem with having influences, but with their debut, they didn't have the right attitude to support their ideas. They wanted to have fun, and more importantly, they wanted other people to have fun. They didn't make music for themselves, which is generally the undoing of many great bands. Contra is a an experiment of self-realization, and it has a whole f*cking lot of character to realize. Their influences are absolutely still there, but now they actually know how to use them. Instead of just saying "look at what I know," they say, "look at what I know, and look at how I'm using it." Now their influences have purpose, they use fun, generally not well-known African pop beats and show how they can be beautiful, rather than just fun. The result is great, and sometimes even nostalgic. One might get the feeling of driving on a tropical island listening to some eccentric Afro-beat, which is almost reminiscent of some video games (or specifically, Far Cry). The sound is distinct, instantly recognizable, and greatly rewarding. While it isn't a reflective album, it doesn't need to be. It's an album about growth (themed appropriately), and most importantly, self-satisfaction. Vampire Weekend passes the test that all new bands struggle with and usually can't figure out. They know what their place is, and they don't care what their audience thinks it is because they don't have to, and they know that. Expand
  12. Oct 7, 2013
    A solid showing after the brilliant self-titled album. Contra isn't always right on the money, but more often than not the songs will grow on you, and you'll be a huge fan of the album in time. Vampire Weekend experiments a bit more in this album, but sticks to their sound, and they pull it off. Not as good as Vampire Weekend, but just as good in it's own way. A solid album from Vampire Weekend!
  13. Oct 6, 2013
    This album is excellent. While it's not as immediately accessible as VW's self-titled, Contra is just as good as that debut, and is quite rewarding over time. It provides the listener with a somewhat new variation of the band. Their electronic elements are increased here amidst the Afro-pop beats and guitar riffs, but they still manage to maintain their identifiable sound. And theThis album is excellent. While it's not as immediately accessible as VW's self-titled, Contra is just as good as that debut, and is quite rewarding over time. It provides the listener with a somewhat new variation of the band. Their electronic elements are increased here amidst the Afro-pop beats and guitar riffs, but they still manage to maintain their identifiable sound. And the songwriting is just as thoughtful, and dense as before. Ultimately, Contra is the sound of a band that has properly evolved. A simultaneously ambitious and catchy album. Expand
  14. Jul 10, 2013
    The second album has really great songs throughout! I really liked their first album and Contra definitely doesnt disappoint! My fave tracks on the album: White Sky, California English, Cousins
  15. Jun 19, 2013
    Contra doesn’t completely manage to worthily follow up their surprisingly good debut, but is really close to their self-titled first release two years ago. The New York indie band has maintained their nebulous lyrics and experimental music style that takes reggae, ska, baroque, Afrobeat, and so many other weird types of music that most likely aren’t even named, and throws them all into oneContra doesn’t completely manage to worthily follow up their surprisingly good debut, but is really close to their self-titled first release two years ago. The New York indie band has maintained their nebulous lyrics and experimental music style that takes reggae, ska, baroque, Afrobeat, and so many other weird types of music that most likely aren’t even named, and throws them all into one single song. This definitely needs getting used to, but if you’ve listened to Vampire Weekend before (which if you haven’t done, you’ve really missed an important new band), then you should be accustomed to their unconventional kind of music and should have great fun with this CD straightaway. Just like Oasis, Arctic Monkeys, or so many other popular alternative rock bands out there, the band members oftentimes aren’t sure about their songs’ meanings themselves which gives the listener dozens of interpretations on the 10 songs that Contra offers us. The phrasing is intelligent plus lovely to hear and the four guys are totally personable. Therefore, just like with their entrance in the big music business, Contra isn’t a real musical masterpiece, yet an endearing album that you will think about a lot and will immediately want on your iPod. After all, it’s only contra is that most tracks just aren’t as catchy as the songs on Vampire Weekend. Expand
  16. May 15, 2013
    This album was not at all a sophomore slump, but a great second album of Vampire Weekend. This album from the beginning of Horchata, which perfectly invites and draws in the listeners to hear more to the last track, "I think ur a contra" which perfectly ends the album. The highlights of this album are "Horchata" "White Sky" "Holiday" "Taxi Cab" "Giving up the Gun" "Diplomat's Son" and "IThis album was not at all a sophomore slump, but a great second album of Vampire Weekend. This album from the beginning of Horchata, which perfectly invites and draws in the listeners to hear more to the last track, "I think ur a contra" which perfectly ends the album. The highlights of this album are "Horchata" "White Sky" "Holiday" "Taxi Cab" "Giving up the Gun" "Diplomat's Son" and "I think ur a Contra" Expand
  17. Mar 8, 2013
    The first one was better. The amount of good songs to bland songs is kinda even. Nothing horrible either, idk, why there is so much hate to this band, but oh well.
  18. Nov 18, 2012
    Just as good as the first. To me, it feels like they got the good things in their eponymous debut album and mixed it with electronic aspects, creating something even more unique.
  19. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    The album Contra definitely builds off of it's predecessor (Vampire Weekend), but it is still kind of bland in some areas.
  20. Jan 7, 2012
    Here's the thing: I didn't really like their first album all that much. "Oxford Comma" was nice and all, but the rest of the album was just a bit twee and insubstantial for my tastes. What makes Contra such a great record is that it packs much more of an instrumental punch than it's predecessor, while deftly maintaining everything that people love (and hate) about Vampire Weekend. It'sHere's the thing: I didn't really like their first album all that much. "Oxford Comma" was nice and all, but the rest of the album was just a bit twee and insubstantial for my tastes. What makes Contra such a great record is that it packs much more of an instrumental punch than it's predecessor, while deftly maintaining everything that people love (and hate) about Vampire Weekend. It's smarter, too: whereas the self-titled seemed naive and precious - and thus a wide-open target for it's legions of critics - Contra, on the other hand, seems proudly defiant. Tracks such as "Horchata" and "Holiday" encapsulate everything haters love to spout about, but this only contributes to the fact that these songs are, in fact, catchy as hell and extremely well done, as is the rest of the album.

Over all, an enormous improvement over their so-so debut, and one that is capable of both nuance and the blissed-out excitement that put them on the map in the first place.
  21. Nov 12, 2011
    Not nearly as good as their self titled debut album, but still fantastic non the less. The only tracks that didn't catch my fancy very much were California English and Run, otherwise, the album is pitch perfect. VW returns with their fun, upbeat, and unique sound.
  22. Nov 3, 2011
    Very fun album, although you have to let it grow on you. Vampire Weekend's self-titled album is still better than this one, though. A little softer and more relaxed then their first album.
  23. Oct 15, 2011
    Vampire Weekend's playfulness from their debut album continues delightfully on "Contra". Although one may feel that they're rehashing some of the formulas they captured the first time around, they have vitality and inspiration all the way through. Highlights, as "Holiday", are songs you'll be humming long after you've turned off the record.
  24. Sep 9, 2011
    "Contra" had the problem of impossible expectations. Fans want this, they want that.. and if they don't get it it's WW3. Not only does "Contra" do whatever the **** it wants, but it does it fantastically and with the same effortless poise and class at their landmark debut.
  25. Jul 31, 2011
    this album was excellent. the singing and songwriting were good. the album showcases their musical ability. and they are fantastic. white sky and taxi cab are great songs. diplomat's son as also a winner
  26. Jul 8, 2011
    I think that this album contains any magic effect on me, when i listen songs like diplomat's son (a relly fantastic song). Cousins, Horchata, Holiday and Giving up the gun offers diversity into his own style and interpretation of music. A beautiful continuation o his debut album.
  27. Jul 1, 2011
    I don't see why this album is so harshly judged by so many. It seems superiour to original in basically every possible way of comparing the two. The reason why the original album was so strong was that every there were no weaker song and all were instantly likeable from the first listen. This album seems the same, with the possible exception of California English which wasn't instantlyI don't see why this album is so harshly judged by so many. It seems superiour to original in basically every possible way of comparing the two. The reason why the original album was so strong was that every there were no weaker song and all were instantly likeable from the first listen. This album seems the same, with the possible exception of California English which wasn't instantly likeable, but I am now a fan of. How Contra differs is that it has much more depth than the debut, with the final three songs being so much greater than the sum of their parts. I really see it being very close to infallible, as there really isn't anything notable I can find to criticise...

While I find it impossible to ever pick a definitive "favourite album", Contra would be one of the three albums that get down to the "you can't make me choose between them" stage.
  28. May 25, 2011
    Took me awhile to fully enjoy this album but to be honest, I kind of didn't want to like this band. I thought for some reason that this was a band that's lame to like. But I was sorely mistaken. From the catchy opener "Horchata" to there hit single :Giving Up The Gun", Contra is almost a flawless. Ezra Koenig's vocals are simple yet so perfect for these pop tracks. All In All, Contra is aTook me awhile to fully enjoy this album but to be honest, I kind of didn't want to like this band. I thought for some reason that this was a band that's lame to like. But I was sorely mistaken. From the catchy opener "Horchata" to there hit single :Giving Up The Gun", Contra is almost a flawless. Ezra Koenig's vocals are simple yet so perfect for these pop tracks. All In All, Contra is a great album that shouldn't go missed. B+ Expand
  29. Feb 1, 2011
    This might be an album that has to grow on you a bit but after a few listens I got hooked. I think this second album is even better and a little deeper musically than their previous album. Lots of great tunes here and my personal favorites are Holiday, White Sky, and Cousins. The only track i felt was weak which is why i rated 9 is i don't care too much for the song California English. ItThis might be an album that has to grow on you a bit but after a few listens I got hooked. I think this second album is even better and a little deeper musically than their previous album. Lots of great tunes here and my personal favorites are Holiday, White Sky, and Cousins. The only track i felt was weak which is why i rated 9 is i don't care too much for the song California English. It was a bit goofy but none the less a solid album! Expand
  30. Jan 16, 2011
    Having despised their first album, I had no idea I would love Contra as much as I do. But Vampire Weekend has managed to take everything I hated about their debut and turned it into a much more likable sound.

1. Contra establishes that his band has chosen another path, celebrating the world's contradictions, contraindications, and contradistinctions with a new pop sound made up of old pop sounds that aren't the same old pop sounds.
  2. Contra is a solidly entertaining, well-constructed album, and if people take to it, the tendency to mock the band will, I think, fade, simply because it doesn't have obviously unfashionable moments to feel uneasy about.
  3. If Vampire Weekend was Rushmore, Contra is their Royal Tenenbaums: brainy, confident and generally awesome.