8.8

Review this album

1. ericl
    May 5, 2003
    loverman, candy says, are the Cd's strongest tracks. I would however recomend it to have it in the background while relaxing.
  2. ChrisH
    May 9, 2003
    The Gore sung songs have always been my favorite in Depeches catalogue. So a whole album of Gore is a treat for me. Highlights are "Stardust" "In My Time Of Dying" and "Loverman". He was amazing this past week in LA as well.
  3. KevinS
    Apr 30, 2003
    Martin Gore of Depeche Mode fame does covers of his favorite songs. How cool is that? While few songs suffer from a lack of emotion, most are very beautiful and relaxing. The best songs are "Stardust", John Lennon's "Oh My Love", and "Lost in the Stars", which sounds like it came right off of Broadway. If you're looking for the electronic music of Depeche Mode, you won't Martin Gore of Depeche Mode fame does covers of his favorite songs. How cool is that? While few songs suffer from a lack of emotion, most are very beautiful and relaxing. The best songs are "Stardust", John Lennon's "Oh My Love", and "Lost in the Stars", which sounds like it came right off of Broadway. If you're looking for the electronic music of Depeche Mode, you won't find it here, but if you're looking for beautiful ballads that remind us of older days, you have come to the right place. Expand
  4. LissetteC.
    May 8, 2003
    I love it! he adds his special m.gore touch to it. the best!!!!!
  5. SpiderJerusalem
    Jun 27, 2003
    Finally. The most soothing soundtrack to make love to has been made. Praise Gore.
  6. UgoU
    Jul 6, 2003
    A great album of covers rivisited by a great songwriter
  7. JennL
    Jul 8, 2003
    Be it counterfeit or genuine - Martin Gore has never failed his fans and listeners. He made Jonh Lennon's 'Oh my love' sounds like his very own. Brillant!
  8. westra26
    Feb 17, 2006
    Cool covers of weel known songs
  9. annabanana
    Apr 27, 2003
    i've always been a Depeche Mode fan. i think if you liked the their album Songs Of Faith And Devotion, you'll love this album. i think it's really great! You get a specail treat for Martin Gore when he performs songs from Bob Dylan,John Lennon, Iggy Pop, Nick Cave.....some of the best in music.
  10. WillH
    Apr 30, 2003
    The interpretations of the original works are interesting and extraordinary. Mr Gore's voice is , in my opinion, underrated. Those listening to this album should appreciate the unique perspective he brings to these covers.
  11. TomaszK
    Very Good
  12. Davcedasd
    Jun 15, 2003
    Great Album...thats all
  13. sergios
    Sep 20, 2003
    good job martin !!!!!!!!!!

The musical treatment is Depeche Mode-lite, setting generally passionate songs in an antiseptic electronic context, and Gore's over-earnest voice lacks the presence to reinvigorate them. [May 2003, p.120]
  2. Counterfeit 2 correctly presents itself as a box of hobbyish bric-a-brac for friends and completists.
  3. While his taste is textbook classic, his arrangements are not. [May 2003, p.104]