Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
8.2

Review this album

1. Sep 26, 2012
    Took me awhile to discover this band, but it was completely worth the thrill of discovering them. I'm not the biggest fan of electronic music, but Crystal Castles are unlike any electro band I've ever heard. I was completely blown away from this LP.It's a little over 50 minutes but it breezes by so smoothly and lush that you don't realize it's ended already. It's indie electroclash at it's finest. I'll go so far to say that I loved each track, which is a little rare for me. Some tracks are very abrasive (Alice Practice) and some are very lush and beautiful (Magic Spells). All In All, probably the best electronic album I've heard since Discovery by Daft Punk. A Collapse
  2. Sep 23, 2010
    The debut album from Crystal Castles makes an impression right out of the gate and goes on to take the listener for a wild ride across it's sixteen energetic tracks. Flashing back and forth from melodic 8 bit inspired tunes to screeching noise pop it evokes a sound that people either love passionately or despise; very few people fall anywhere between these two extremes.
  3. Nov 3, 2010
    Love these blip blops! Seriously love this duo so much. Deserves higher rating but like most good music it is left behind underrated just because it's a different sound. That different sound is what makes Crystal Castles so unique and great.
  4. Nov 23, 2011
    Among the most distinctive acts to appear in the second half of the noughties were Crystal Castles. They are not really famous for music but for their riot-like gigs. Alice Glass, the vocalist, would scream, run, climb, dive, spit, and who knows what else. Even a serious injury could not stop her from playing. She is the face of the duo but as usual in such cases the mastermind stays in the shadow. Ethan Khan, the producer, is responsible for Crystal Castlesâ Expand
  5. Feb 21, 2013
    Still my favorite Crystal Castles album after two good follow up releases. Not as dark as the 2nd and 3rd albums, I'd go so far as to call it their pop record. Contains a good mix of their sound and by being more accessible it is the best place to start if checking out the band before getting into their darker sound. It contains the noise of Alice Practice, the synth-pop instrumentals of 1991 and Knights, the creepiness of Courtship Dating (which is further explored on later albums) and one of my favorites the delicate yet disturbing Tell me What to Swallow. Expand
  6. Aug 25, 2014
    Few albums have felt as coherent, cohesive, catching, striking, exquisitely tasteful and easily digestible as Crystal Castles (I), and even less at a debut. Everything here sounds magic, esoteric, broken, electronic (taking the most literal meaning the word can possibly have).

1. It's clear that Kath and Glass are already looking for more ways to expand on this familiar-sounding, edgy, innocent, menacing, bold, nuanced, and altogether striking debut.
  2. Crystal Castles is gloriously danceable and hopelessly chic. But really, it's... hearing only...judging is... you know? [Apr 2008, p.162]
  3. Glass’s voice, too, is the same that’s been luring lusty seamen onto the rocks for millennia, but the way it and the drums are textured--so that the machines they’re passed through sound like they’re melting away--brings Crystal Castles to the outer edges of greatness.