• Record Label: Virgin
  • Release Date: May 24, 2005
8.9

Review this album

1. May 22, 2015
    Instant classic, and even now, 10 years later it is still more modern than many many other artists. It is a timeless album, full of original arrangements, social critique and stellar mixing.
  2. Jan 4, 2015
    Even though the album does get excessively weird for my taste, Demon Days is a great follow-up to their solid self-titled album. It's got great beats and some absolutely magnificent lyrics. This is one worth listening to.
  3. Nov 21, 2014
    Demon Days is a fantastic follow up to Gorillaz's first album. However there is a slight problem, if you could indeed call it a problem, the album is very hard to quantify, to put into a genre. Demon Days takes influence from rap, rock, R'nB, pop and country however at the same time it manages to filter out the negative tropes of the genres, meaning both those who like or dislike theDemon Days is a fantastic follow up to Gorillaz's first album. However there is a slight problem, if you could indeed call it a problem, the album is very hard to quantify, to put into a genre. Demon Days takes influence from rap, rock, R'nB, pop and country however at the same time it manages to filter out the negative tropes of the genres, meaning both those who like or dislike the influences will still very much enjoy the music, for example I normally dislike the aforementioned styles of music, yet still fell in love with Demon Days, which is very much a hard thing to do.
    The fell of the album is also incredibly dark, without trying to be edgy, yet at the same time manages to sound fairly upbeat, which is a rare talent amongst artists. This album really is quite special, it manages to appeal to all without compromising, to have repetitive vocals without being annoying, to have every song sound different without it being forced or the quality being downplayed.
    Shortly put this really does manage to both have all the advantages and near none of the disadvantages, it's only once a while music manages to do this and with how cheap the album is, I absolutely recommend you buy this.
  4. Oct 27, 2014
    This album is (and was) an instant classic and arguably Gorillaz's best work. Nearly every track oozes with creativity and there are only two tracks that I would say are lacking overall (O Green World and All Alone). The production is amazing with nearly every track making fantastic use of a wide, wide array of diverse musical ideas and sounds. The only thing I could ask from this albumThis album is (and was) an instant classic and arguably Gorillaz's best work. Nearly every track oozes with creativity and there are only two tracks that I would say are lacking overall (O Green World and All Alone). The production is amazing with nearly every track making fantastic use of a wide, wide array of diverse musical ideas and sounds. The only thing I could ask from this album is: more please. Expand
  5. Jul 8, 2014
    Another well done album by Gorillaz. My favorite song from this album is "Feel Good Inc.". The rock they have has become really modern if you know what I mean. It showcases alternative hip hop with funk rock and I like that. The collaborations are really cool though.
  6. Dec 26, 2013
    Probably my favorite album of all time. despite the diversity of the music styles on the album, all of them are amazing tunes that I never skip should they arrive on a shuffled playlist.
  7. Dec 26, 2013
    The single most musically intriguing record I have ever heard, still stands up as my all time favourite album, ever. To describe it in one word, I would have to say that this album is "Perfect".
  8. Nov 27, 2013
    NOTE: A 10/10 refers to a nonexistent perfect album. I don't toss excellent ratings around.
    Also, I'm not a hater, I went into this with an open mind, and think Gorillaz and Plastic Beach were excellent albums. Now, on to the review!

Despite all its good tracks, Demon Days is unfortunately quite an inconsistent album, not at all meeting my expectations. Essentially it's a concept album about sad things all the gloom, misery, and dystopia you can think of but it often gets repetitive, or sometimes it forms a cohesive narrative over two or three tracks only to abandon it completely at the next. For example, even though I did think the two-track finisher of "Don't Get Lost in Heaven" and "Demon Days" ended the album quite well, I don't know at all where the miners and the volcano came from. Earlier in the album, I thought it was going to be about the band gathering a rebellion to overthrow a dystopian government, if i'm interpreting the lyrics to "Feel Good Inc." correctly. Even if you think of it as the type of concept album which doesn't tell an actual story but simply describes the subject of being depressed, that isn't consistent either. I have no idea why they decided to keep "DARE" in here though it's decent as a single, it feels so out of place here. It might as well be the album's worst track if I score it based on how it fits in with the others.

The guests are pretty good, though. Anything with MF DOOM on there is good. Feel Good Inc., which features De La Soul, has a nice performance by them as well, even if the maniacal laughing is a bit overdone. Roots Manuva is a skilled rapper, but not lyricist. I didn't, however, like what Shaun Ryder and Dennis Hopper contributed to the latter half at all.

Sigh. Damon, you've made Parklife, 13, Think Tank, and the self-titled Gorillaz album, and you would go on to make your masterpiece with Plastic Beach. What happened with this? It's not by any means a bad album, but...

I think I'll score it a 6. There are many good ideas, but more often than not, they just don't mix. At least Gorillaz and Blur have other great albums to their names.

STANDOUT TRACKS:: KIDS WITH GUNS, FEEL GOOD INC., EVERY PLANET WE REACH IS DEAD, NOVEMBER HAS COME, DON'T GET LOST IN HEAVEN, DEMON DAYS
  9. Jun 6, 2013
    10/10 is too low. But I can't go up to 20/10 so whatever.
    Demon Days is The Gorillaz follow up album to their mega hit. Demon Days easily is better, which is a testament to just how good this album is. Feel Good Inc. and Dirty Harry are cult classics and help this album rise to Cult Classic status.
  10. Mar 27, 2013
    I personally don't give a f*ck about what, these haters think, we're all aloud our opinion on things, but a lot of people are seeing this album as the type of music tailored for the average person to listen to as he or she is driving to work on their weekly grind. Its not. This music is an acquired taste sure, but not in the rotten fish sushi manner where some people say its delicious, butI personally don't give a f*ck about what, these haters think, we're all aloud our opinion on things, but a lot of people are seeing this album as the type of music tailored for the average person to listen to as he or she is driving to work on their weekly grind. Its not. This music is an acquired taste sure, but not in the rotten fish sushi manner where some people say its delicious, but its really just a pile of rotten fish. No, this album is a creation. Try and see it through Damon Albarn's eyes. A massive collaboration with many people, and a telling of the high concept band's story. Sure, there are some tracks that I wasn't that into, but with an open mind you can easily say that most of the songs are just as good as "Dare or "Feel Good inc." but simply passed under the radar and didn't make it as mainstream, playing-on-every-station hits. And lets face it, what was the last Album you bought where you loved EVERY SINGLE F*CKING SONG...I've never had such an experience. Looking at the reviews now, you'd think that it really is a love-it-or-hate it album. By the way, thank you if you're still reading this far, it means a lot that my opinion is so important to you. People are either to narrow minded to see the beauty of, and the brilliance, this album brings to the table. Its not perfect, nothing is, but compared to other albums on the market? Yes, it is perfect. Its hard to see how some of the songs like "All Alone" didn't make it to the charts.

In conclusion, you will not regret buying this album if you love Gorillaz, hell even Damon Albarn's works in general, if you're not afraid to try new things or any way patient to savour music goodness. If you base your opinion of music on what people say and how distracting it is then you should probably get back to the weekly grind...
  11. Feb 25, 2013
    This CD is unique... but that doesn't make it better. I listen to many music style ranging from jazz to metal and passing by opera. That is among the worst album I ever listened to. I can't see how critics can like it so much (except that it is unique...)
  12. Mar 20, 2012
    Demon Days represents an amazing blend of genre's and styles. After Gorillaz hit in 2001, I instantly fell in love with the band and it style. And from then to the release of Demon Days I kept wondering in what direction the group would go in. Demon Days thrusts Gorillaz in a much more ominous atmosphere and tosses out some great tracks, mixing various collaborators for a mezmorizingDemon Days represents an amazing blend of genre's and styles. After Gorillaz hit in 2001, I instantly fell in love with the band and it style. And from then to the release of Demon Days I kept wondering in what direction the group would go in. Demon Days thrusts Gorillaz in a much more ominous atmosphere and tosses out some great tracks, mixing various collaborators for a mezmorizing journey through a snapshot in the gorillaz universe. Expand
  13. Dec 15, 2011
    Despite it's many faults, Demon Days still â
  14. j30
    Dec 9, 2011
    I'm really surprised by all the negative reviews for this excellent sophomore record from the Gorillaz. So many great lush pop songs that will make your head spin. There are a few fillers, but for the most part it's a killer release.
  15. Feb 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This unexpected mix of many (mainly the laid back type) music styles is really enjoyable and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys them. Of course, it's not perfect, but it's really good. My personal favourites are Feel Good inc. and O Green World. They really suck me in. The first is more fun and the beat is "clearly visible". The second, however, is more moody and the guitar kicks in most of the time. I like how Damon sounds good in many types of different songs.
    So, if you like having fun while listening to music, this album is for you, even if it lacks certain momentum from the first album. Try it for yourself and see!
    Score: 9.0
  16. Jan 18, 2011
    This album blends a bunch of musical elements together. I heard rap, rock, reggae, and funk. It's a great listen. The beats are catchy and the production is just great. Took me awhile to get into it but after a few tries, I really enjoy it now. All In All, a great album. B+
  17. Dec 3, 2010
    One of the greatest mix of music styles and imaginations - pleasant and disturbing, rough and smooth, apocalyptic and dreamy. Singles will make you feel fresh but whole album can leave huge mark on your attitude to modern music.
  18. Oct 11, 2010
    This album should be given its own genre. It's neither here nor there with any one genre and is so vast it can't even be taken down to 2 or 3. You've got something like 'Last Living Souls' which is eeary melancholy pop mixed with 'Don't get lost in heaven' which verges on symphonic gospel. This is really a masterpiece from Albarn. An apex of his imagination. He deserves all the acclaim he gets.
  19. Sep 26, 2010
    After the success of their first album, they went farther in producing Demon Days, where this time it is set in a Apocalyptic world. This one fuses more pop than the last one, but less rap. They still have their great vibe, with the help of new guests on this album. Their a ton of great songs on this album, especially "Feel Good Inc." This wasn't the best album Albarn has produced, but oneAfter the success of their first album, they went farther in producing Demon Days, where this time it is set in a Apocalyptic world. This one fuses more pop than the last one, but less rap. They still have their great vibe, with the help of new guests on this album. Their a ton of great songs on this album, especially "Feel Good Inc." This wasn't the best album Albarn has produced, but one of the most inspiring albums. The end of the album wraps up the mood perfectly, when the basic strumming of the guitar on "Demon Days" tells what Damon has experienced himself. This album is easier to listen and get used to than the first album. Standouts : "Kids With Guns", "Feel Good Inc.", "DARE" Overall Score : 8.7 Expand
  20. Aug 24, 2010
    It doesn't beat any records in my opinion, but worth a listen. Some people are going to love this; others are going to view it as pointless rubbish.
    While it has its high points (DARE, Don't Get Lost In Heaven) it also has some more annoying, and rather stupid songs. These include Last Living Souls and White Light. Maybe you should listen to the previews on iTunes or Amazon before buying. It's not for everyone.
    6/10. Why? Although it can give an enjoyable listen, its music seems somewhat temporary. One has to be in the correct mood, and accept that the weirdness of some of the songs just aren't up to scratch. I don't feel it had much potential to fill. Nevertheless, an enjoyable listen.
  21. FrancescoR
    Dec 23, 2008
    It is impossible sayin' that this album belongs to a kind of music, because it is just a super-mix of everything, which makes a very pleasant listening. It is an album that will be remembered for years, for decades, and even if you don't know what's the meaning of the texts of the songs, you feel as if that innovative music, that the first time you heard sounded so strange It is impossible sayin' that this album belongs to a kind of music, because it is just a super-mix of everything, which makes a very pleasant listening. It is an album that will be remembered for years, for decades, and even if you don't know what's the meaning of the texts of the songs, you feel as if that innovative music, that the first time you heard sounded so strange and "different", tells you about something that you can't explain by words, something that we can feel in the air every day: it's just the life we live, in a world that too much times looks grey and empty...the world that we can find in "Demon Days"...ya, of course it is exaggerated, but the question is...how much? Expand
  22. justinf
    Oct 13, 2008
    It is spectacular. the best songs from this album are: White Light, Dirty Harry, Feel Good Inc., el manana, and Kids with Guns. tHIS ALBUM IS A Must-buy!
  23. PhilipD.
    Sep 22, 2008
    This is a tough one. Fans of Gorillaz will love it, fans of Feel Good Inc won't. I believe that every (decent) band comes up with one song which doesn't go with their style, yet is so amazing it is still worth releasing just to save that one idea. (I would say Linkin Park- Faint and California Dreaming by the Mamas and the Papas are other examples of this). I've heard of This is a tough one. Fans of Gorillaz will love it, fans of Feel Good Inc won't. I believe that every (decent) band comes up with one song which doesn't go with their style, yet is so amazing it is still worth releasing just to save that one idea. (I would say Linkin Park- Faint and California Dreaming by the Mamas and the Papas are other examples of this). I've heard of people who now hate Gorillaz because Feel Good brought them mainstream. All I can say is that this one song stands out above the other songs as being one of the finest pieces of music ever. So strange, yet so widely loved by all ages. So where does this leave the rest? I like Dare for its catchy beat but it doesn't have quite the same depth. Dirty Harry kind of falls under the same category. I can't help but rate this on how I feel the rest of the music compares to Feel Good Inc. The rest of the CD is still better than most CDs out there in my opinion, but I'm starting to wonder if they should have released Feel Good in the same album. Gorillaz beat themselves into a corner with that song but I am so pleased they released it I'm going to give this CD a rating of 8/10. Expand
  24. DavidH.
    Apr 9, 2008
    Definetly one of the best albums of the year! Original, experimental with dark and mysterious overtones. Every track stands out as different from the next. Overall, its near masterful. Intro is great gives u a real taster of the feel of the album. last living souls 9/10, kids with guns 10/10, o green world 7/10, dirty harry 9/10, feel good inc. 10/10, el manana 10/10, every planet we Definetly one of the best albums of the year! Original, experimental with dark and mysterious overtones. Every track stands out as different from the next. Overall, its near masterful. Intro is great gives u a real taster of the feel of the album. last living souls 9/10, kids with guns 10/10, o green world 7/10, dirty harry 9/10, feel good inc. 10/10, el manana 10/10, every planet we reach is dead 8/10, november has come 10/10, all alone 10/10, white light 5/10, dare 10/10, fire coming out of a monkeys head 9/10, don't get lost in heaven 10/10, demon days 10/10.every song great except white light! Expand
  25. RickW.
    Mar 28, 2008
    Probably my all-time favorite album...completely unique
  26. PaulaG.
    Feb 13, 2008
    It's the best record I've ever listen to, no doubt.
  27. TomP.
    Jan 5, 2008
    No longer does the color of your skin make a suitable reason for your bad taste in music. I know this isn't really a full hip hop/rap CD, but you can play the few tracks that do include rap to your friends and keep your reputation as you begin to realize how much more that music, if you could call most rap that, has to offer. So for the sake of music, put down Soulja Boy....Oh god No longer does the color of your skin make a suitable reason for your bad taste in music. I know this isn't really a full hip hop/rap CD, but you can play the few tracks that do include rap to your friends and keep your reputation as you begin to realize how much more that music, if you could call most rap that, has to offer. So for the sake of music, put down Soulja Boy....Oh god PLEASE PUT DOWN SOULJA BOY...and get this CD, then show your friends this CD, THEN, after you've realized how shitty almost all the music you've been listening to is, pick up a radiohead CD or something. besisdes, you owe it to those that want to be able to hear good music on the radio. Expand
  28. VidM
    Aug 13, 2007
    An improvement over their debut. There's some really good stuff here, but there's still a ton of crap to sift through to get to it.
  29. BobR
    Jul 21, 2007
    ridiculously hip... you'll fan over this band
  30. DanA
    Jun 24, 2007
    Better than anything else Gorillaz has put out, which says something.
  31. Sam
    May 13, 2007
    Awesome, awesome album, any way you look at it. Passing over the obvious genius of hit "Feel Good, Inc." (and it is genius), DARE and El Manana are two other favorites. Check out the music video for Feel Good.
  32. SierraH
    Feb 20, 2007
    Yes, a 10. And no, I'm not exaggerating. I used to be very mainstream and closed-minded about music, listening almost entirely to rap and pop in the charts. I heard Demon Days from a friend before I even knew who Gorillaaz were, and thought, 'This album is crap.' And forgot about it. One day, I decided to check out Gorillaz, after remembering Feel Good Inc. First listen, I Yes, a 10. And no, I'm not exaggerating. I used to be very mainstream and closed-minded about music, listening almost entirely to rap and pop in the charts. I heard Demon Days from a friend before I even knew who Gorillaaz were, and thought, 'This album is crap.' And forgot about it. One day, I decided to check out Gorillaz, after remembering Feel Good Inc. First listen, I liked Feel Good Inc., DARE, and El Manana. 2nd listen, Kids with Guns, Last Living Souls. 3rd listen, the entire album was absolutely brilliant. Damon Albarn is a genius, which shows in this masterpiece. I can't... think of any words to describe it, except to listen to it a couple of times, and this album will open up an entirely whole new world of music for you. Oh, and it's been a year. Still not tired of any of the songs, something I've never come across before. Brilliant. A work of art, not to mention Jamie Hewlett's absolutely fantastic drawings of Gorillaz. Through this band, I discovered music I thought I never like before. BUY IT! Expand
  33. TurkRocks
    Nov 15, 2006
    I think this is one of the most CLEVER things I have ever experienced. Only thing I really have to say about people who do not enjoy the simple yet so full hearted affect that these 4 wonderful characters have on us are bitter, stuck up, and probably alone. This, while it may be a steryotype - most the times will hold fact. While being human - my accusation will not be perfect, and have I think this is one of the most CLEVER things I have ever experienced. Only thing I really have to say about people who do not enjoy the simple yet so full hearted affect that these 4 wonderful characters have on us are bitter, stuck up, and probably alone. This, while it may be a steryotype - most the times will hold fact. While being human - my accusation will not be perfect, and have its flaws but that does NOT diminish the stunning, amazing, fantastic, wonderous, dazzling, splended, breath taking album and series. Gorillaz - Original, simple, beautiful. Expand
  34. ElectricMonk
    May 10, 2006
    Dizzyingly brilliant and relentlessly intelligent, Gorillaz' "Demon Days" is among the first of the Top Ten Best Rock Albums of the New Millenium and--not surprisingly--there is absolutely nothing to suggest Gorillaz is a one-hit wonder, novelty band; the brainchild of Blur frontman Damon Albarn and "Tank Girl" creator Jamie Hewlett, Gorillaz utilizes influences like Beck and Air the Dizzyingly brilliant and relentlessly intelligent, Gorillaz' "Demon Days" is among the first of the Top Ten Best Rock Albums of the New Millenium and--not surprisingly--there is absolutely nothing to suggest Gorillaz is a one-hit wonder, novelty band; the brainchild of Blur frontman Damon Albarn and "Tank Girl" creator Jamie Hewlett, Gorillaz utilizes influences like Beck and Air the way truly legendary barkeeps mix drinks to keep their clients faithful, eclectic and happy. Grade: A for this award-winning, multi-platinum effort. Expand
  35. IsaacR
    May 1, 2006
    you know this cd is cool when a black guy likes it. and i do!!!! i love it (track 10:all alone rocks)
  36. SamiS
    Apr 23, 2006
    This CD is the BEST!!!!! I listen to it all the time! I cant decide which song is my favorite, they are all so freaking cool!No matter what mood im in, I moving to the groove of the music, and my friends love it to!Great album,Great job,.....Great music!
  37. JimmyJazz
    Apr 8, 2006
    Don't listen to any other reviews but this one. I am not a fan of rap. Never have been never will be. When I got this cd i was scared there would be to much rap and hip hop in it. There's not. This cd has some rap songs (November has Come, Feel Good Inc.) but it has every other genre ever. Electronic (DARE) Dance (Dirty Harry) Rock ( O green World) rock/hip Don't listen to any other reviews but this one. I am not a fan of rap. Never have been never will be. When I got this cd i was scared there would be to much rap and hip hop in it. There's not. This cd has some rap songs (November has Come, Feel Good Inc.) but it has every other genre ever. Electronic (DARE) Dance (Dirty Harry) Rock ( O green World) rock/hip hop/dance/jazz/Electronic (Evrery planet we reach is dead). This Cd is a real suppriser. I enjoy listening to it and its different. Great Music, Great feel and if you happen to buy the cd from a store amazing 'drawings' in the booklet. This Cd can preety much be enjoyed be anyone. Who would know a fan of GREEN DAY. WHITE STRIPES, ARCADE FIRE and DAVID BOWIE could like this? Expand
  38. LachlanW
    Apr 5, 2006
    A very strong album. Some tracks are filler, but for the most part, the CD is a fantastic accomplisment. 'Dare' is one of the coolest songs that I will ever hear.
  39. SeamusS
    Mar 31, 2006
    As a die hard BLUR fan I always cringe at the sound of Damon working on something that's not...well..Blur Self titled was good no masterpeice but good this this is something else a groundbreaking venture into the world of avanthippoprock and well I just dont know what to make out of the fucker Brillaint Heavy for sure Go Buy It!
  40. DominicC
    Feb 11, 2006
    Amazing...... WE LOVE GORILLAZ!!!!!!
  41. keving
    Jan 28, 2006
    g
  42. AaronD
    Jan 14, 2006
    Absolute wicked album and there est yet!!!!!
  43. bradc
    Jan 10, 2006
    the gorillaz are 2 for 2, this cd is one of the best of the year without a doubt. It's a rare thing anymore to be able to put a cd in and walk away knowing that every song is good, hope they make a third one soon.
  44. Levi
    Jan 7, 2006
    Brilliant. Not perfect, but brilliant.
  45. ConnorW
    Dec 18, 2005
    Simply the best album of 2005!
  46. joeblow
    Dec 3, 2005
    Good album, but it would be better with less rapping.
  47. KurtF
    Dec 2, 2005
    All the non-rap songs are great. Where as two of the four with rap in it seem out of place and the other two work just fine. El Manana is a really beautiful song. I love how even the really dance pop parts of the album seem to have a dark foreboding. This is how sordonic is done fun! I think some poeple just see the cartoons and hear the radio "feel good inc" (which I do like) and think All the non-rap songs are great. Where as two of the four with rap in it seem out of place and the other two work just fine. El Manana is a really beautiful song. I love how even the really dance pop parts of the album seem to have a dark foreboding. This is how sordonic is done fun! I think some poeple just see the cartoons and hear the radio "feel good inc" (which I do like) and think they are just stupid. But if you listen to the album you realize that some of the songs are better than anything (any genre) out there. Expand
  48. asfdsfd
    Nov 29, 2005
    its so disappointing....
  49. JasperB
    Nov 13, 2005
    This CD is the epitome of cool
  50. ReyP
    Nov 4, 2005
    The first half of the album is fantastic, but it really drops off from there. "Kids with Guns" has one of the best grooves of the year.
  51. KellyO
    Oct 11, 2005
    This album might be better than its predecessor.......but what C.D. isn't?!
  52. themouse
    Sep 30, 2005
    one of the best cds i own i love DARE and feel good inc.
  53. Noodle2-D
    Sep 18, 2005
    WOW--what an incredible album. I can't stop listening to it. The variety of songs is exceptional. The beat moves from hip hop to techno to melodic ballad to early Pet Shop Boy-ish angst. Gorgeous compilation. Really. Get it. Don't be a loser.
  54. Wes
    Sep 14, 2005
    Great fucking album. I love every song, especially Every Planet We Reach is Dead and Feel Good Inc.
  55. samuels
    Sep 10, 2005
    this cd is the best cd in this year it is wicked
  56. JoS
    Sep 4, 2005
    Brilliant.
  57. MelR.
    Sep 4, 2005
    smooth. One of the only albums I can listen to more than once.
  58. DaneC
    Sep 3, 2005
    Most of the tracks are fine, but its the collabrations that make this album great. De La Soul, one of the most respected groups in rap, and Mf Doom, one of the most respected artist in underground rap, appear on this album and make the usually unused repeat track button on your cd player so nesserary.
  59. jacobm
    Aug 29, 2005
    Great album, but I must say that the hip hop is lacking. I love the 8-bit sounding beats mixed in... excellent sound!
  60. shellib
    Aug 25, 2005
    This album is the best album out for 2005, the gorillaz are tyhe best artists around at the moment! 5 stars!
  61. SaulV
    Aug 25, 2005
    I think the Cd " Demon Days " has al kind of songs. I LOVE IT!
  62. Mike
    Aug 23, 2005
    this is one bad album. where are the melodies? just noise!
  63. DrewN
    Aug 20, 2005
    This album caught me by surprise really. After the first Gorillaz CD, which had a few good tracks, but not one of my favorites, I didn't expect much from this band. Boy was I wrong. After hearing "Feel Good Inc.", I felt I had to buy the album, and I wasn't dissapointed. Tracks that stand out: Feel Good Inc., DARE, Kids With Guns. Seriously buy the album.
  64. SoupS
    Aug 20, 2005
    I thought the first album was boring besides the singles (which were crazy-awesome). This one is basically the same. The difference in quality between "Feel Good Inc" and the rest of the album is ridiculous. It's like they put all their effort into the one song and then tossed the rest of the album in as an afterthought. It has some good moments, but for the most part I skipped a lot I thought the first album was boring besides the singles (which were crazy-awesome). This one is basically the same. The difference in quality between "Feel Good Inc" and the rest of the album is ridiculous. It's like they put all their effort into the one song and then tossed the rest of the album in as an afterthought. It has some good moments, but for the most part I skipped a lot of tracks and sold it back to the store the week after I bought it. Disappointing. Expand
  65. VincentC
    Aug 19, 2005
    Excellent. Funky beats, flows well. Loved the dialogue by Dennis Hopper
  66. ChrisC
    Aug 15, 2005
    Listen to this cd if you are a pre pubescent, filth monger which will soon inhibit the entirety of america. This cd is for people who don't care what they listen to as long as it has a crappy, i mean catchy beat. Please don't listen to this garbage
  67. MackenzieF
    Aug 12, 2005
    I think this CD is a VERY awesome CD. I got it and I listen to it every day. I have had to make a million copies of it for my friends!!!
  68. fredrgf
    Aug 8, 2005
    fully sick wicked
  69. MikeS
    Aug 3, 2005
    Truly original..the video for Feel good Inc. is mesmerizing. The music goes on and on, and each time you listen to the record you pull something new.
  70. JamieM
    Aug 3, 2005
    Sure, it takes a while to get into, but eventually you realize that " Demon Days" is pure experimental genius. Best Song: Dare
  71. jacka
    Jul 31, 2005
    absolutely terrible. boring:-(
  72. RoloR
    Jul 24, 2005
    This album was the best one ive bought this year, far surpasing any sound created anywhere the gorillaz have done it again and will continue i hope!
  73. mn
    Jul 21, 2005
    this cd rocks out loud !!!!
  74. ACDCritic
    Jul 6, 2005
    The single Feel Good Inc. was outstanding, so I decided to purchase this CD. I really disliked the CD at first, (it's nothing like the hit single,) but on a second listen, I discovered a few tracks I liked. On a 3rd listen, I found most of this CD to be great. The CD just kinda grows on you. You probably won't like the CD on a first listen, but give it some time, and you'll The single Feel Good Inc. was outstanding, so I decided to purchase this CD. I really disliked the CD at first, (it's nothing like the hit single,) but on a second listen, I discovered a few tracks I liked. On a 3rd listen, I found most of this CD to be great. The CD just kinda grows on you. You probably won't like the CD on a first listen, but give it some time, and you'll discover a great CD. There are a couple of filler tracks, such as songs like Last Living Souls, (which has no hook whatsoever,) Every Planet We Reach Is Dead, (which is just dull,) and O Green World, which turns into just a bunch of techno noise. Except for those tracks, (and a couple of other unmemorable ones,) this CD is great, and some of these tracks are excellent. The last 3 tracks seem to be telling a story, and are basically linked together, ending the CD on a very good note. Definitely a great, innovative CD, and probably not what you are expecting. (A couple more songs similar in style to Feel Good Inc. wouldn't have hurt, though.) I took a point off the score of this great CD because of a couple of annoying and filler tracks. But definitely worth it. You may not like it on your first listen, but give it a chance. Expand
  75. SamH
    Jul 6, 2005
    Awesome beats, great vocals, refreshing album for the summer!
  76. CraigC
    Jun 29, 2005
    Album of the year. It takes three or four listens (the best albums usually do) but once you "get it", you can't stop listening to it. I didn't know Damon Albarn was quite this brilliant a composer. Gorillaz first album provided glimpses but this is the real deal. This is the album the music industry needed as an anditote to all the wuss and crap rock being produced all over the world.
  77. PatrickC
    Jun 27, 2005
    This is the album of the year.
  78. JenniferM
    Jun 20, 2005
    I. Love. This. Album. So innovative and unique, but very listenable and unpretentious. My favourite track is Dare.
  79. jw
    Jun 19, 2005
    it might sound bad at first.. but once you get into it, it's amazing.
  80. aaronl
    Jun 18, 2005
    Lots of lame hipster indie bands (postal service, go find) try to incorporate hip-hop/electronica/a beat into their music and ultimately fail, mainly because they just don't get what makes a good beat. this record understands hip-hop and has the pop-sensibility necessary to make a record like this work.
  81. jboy
    Jun 14, 2005
    The brilliance in this CD is stunning....and the bonus track rocks also
  82. Matt
    Jun 9, 2005
    A complete mess, in my opinion. The vocals don't even seem to flow with the music.
  83. az
    Jun 9, 2005
    I just want to do the monster to this whole CD.... it kicks ass.
  84. ElfOz
    Jun 8, 2005
    yeah!!!
  85. SamM
    Jun 7, 2005
    After listening to Demon Days the first time I thought I'd blown my money on an over advertised CD not really worth of the hype. Oh how i was wrong. The CD needs some listening and its brilliance will emerge each time you hear it. Kids with Guns is a great song espercially the typical gorillaz drums near the end of the song as well as Dirty Harry with its hip hop flavour combined After listening to Demon Days the first time I thought I'd blown my money on an over advertised CD not really worth of the hype. Oh how i was wrong. The CD needs some listening and its brilliance will emerge each time you hear it. Kids with Guns is a great song espercially the typical gorillaz drums near the end of the song as well as Dirty Harry with its hip hop flavour combined with the choir in the beggining. Truly great album Expand
  86. yashp
    Jun 6, 2005
    this album can turn your worst day into a your best day or even make your best day ever better!
  87. markf
    tracks 12-15 r great
  88. KvanV
    Jun 6, 2005
    There are some strong tracks on this album, and the rest grow on you with repeated listens. Feel Good Inc. is the most high energy song they have to offer. The rest is rather laid back and mid tempo, and the last three tracks can be written off completely as they are barely songs at all. I miss the energy and humor of the first album. Demon Days is a little darker, slower, and more There are some strong tracks on this album, and the rest grow on you with repeated listens. Feel Good Inc. is the most high energy song they have to offer. The rest is rather laid back and mid tempo, and the last three tracks can be written off completely as they are barely songs at all. I miss the energy and humor of the first album. Demon Days is a little darker, slower, and more political. Still it's a solid buy. Expand
  89. LeonardoF
    Damon at his best.
  90. PeterS
    Jun 3, 2005
    As a nearly-40 guy who grew up listening to '60s' and '70's classic rock, etc. such as Pink Floyd, The Strawbs, Genesis and going through a world (literally) of musical tastes, I think that the music of Gorillaz and the team that drives them is at long last a sign that maybe ingenious and creativity is not dead in the corporate music biz. I see this is a highly As a nearly-40 guy who grew up listening to '60s' and '70's classic rock, etc. such as Pink Floyd, The Strawbs, Genesis and going through a world (literally) of musical tastes, I think that the music of Gorillaz and the team that drives them is at long last a sign that maybe ingenious and creativity is not dead in the corporate music biz. I see this is a highly artistic, conceptual album with lyrics that remind us of the demons - personal and otherwise - that confront us every day which leads to the last two tracks. "Don't Get Lost In Heaven" and "Demon Days" sums up the album beautifully! I just wish this "band" could tour! I could add so much more... Expand
  91. CYRUSC
    Jun 3, 2005
    Wow, this album is near perfection. I say near because a couple songs dont appeal to me very much, but aside from that, the creativity, and the flow of the other songs, cannot be compared with anything else. I especially like Fire Coming out of the Monkeys Head. Honestly that just might be one of the best songs i have ever heard. BUY IT QUICK
  92. formerwowplayer
    Jun 2, 2005
    This album is a much fun as it is smart and creative! A great listen and an BIG change in style since their debut. I can wait to see what Mr. Blur Frontman does next.
  93. DavidO
    Jun 1, 2005
    Listened to this several times and apart from Feel Good Inc there's not a single track that sticks in my head. What happened to the unconventional catchiness of the previous record? Hugely dissapointing follow-up....
  94. GuillaumeP
    May 31, 2005
    Don't trust yourself too much on your first impressions. Its only after you'll have listened Demon Days 2 or 3 times you'll start to like it, then you'll love it and be careful, it becomes an adiction and the only word that can describe the way i see this record after listening 10 times is (love²+admiration).
  95. RobA
    May 31, 2005
    It took me a few listens to get into it, but now I'm there I love it!
  96. IllyaZ
    Not bad at all...
  97. S@T@NMILTON
    May 30, 2005
    Wow!!! First when I listened the CD, bad bad bad But after in a dark room, wow this album has every aspect of music I know lots of people don
  98. zega
    May 30, 2005
    Accessible and cross-genre,good like Groove Armada, K.I.A. and other artists doing multi-vocalist hybrid-electronica (rocktronica, dubtronica...). And, unlike the first Gorillaz, has some emotional weight (Kids With Guns...). Would be a 10 but for the spoken-word song ("Fire Coming Out of the Monkey"); when will artists learn that talk-tracks are unlistenable after the first time?
  99. GregB
    May 29, 2005
    AMAZING!!! Best Record i've Heard in Years. Danger Mouse is on fire these days, and Damon Albarn proves he is one of the best songwriters of our time. BRILLIIANT!!!!
    May 29, 2005
    Brilliant. While not on par with the debut album, the material here is far from thin. Danger Mouse has done a great job producing this and has helped to create a great follow up.

A dazzlingly clever record--great beats, brilliant production, top tunes and some of Albarn's best singing. [Jun 2005, p.106]
  2. Demon Days actually is even better than its predecessor.
  3. Before you even consider the sonic and melodic innovation paraded through the album there’s so much crammed into each of these fifteen songs (without any one of them sounding overproduced or cluttered) that repeated listening is a must.