Electra Heart - Marina and the Diamonds
8.5

Review this album

1. Jul 29, 2012
    This is one of the best albums for 2012. 'Electra Heart' has some great classic pop songs. I really like "Primadonna", "Power & Control", "Homewecker" & "Lies". I really like the acoustic version of "Lies". I hope this album become one of the best-selling albums of 2012. It sells good for a debut artist worldwide with second studio album.
  2. May 22, 2013
    About a year ago I first heard Primadonna, and now I've become a fully-fledged Diamond. This album is easily my favourite of the two, and arguably my favourite album. The lyrics painting all too relatable pictures, of obsession with fame, social anxiety and gender wars in romance alongside a reasonably well deserified tone and sound of the backing music make this album quite the treat.
  3. Nov 2, 2012
    Marina Diamandis (AKA Marina and the Diamonds) is easily one of the most intelligent popstars out there. 'Electra Heart' is one big witty, sarcastic take on love, youth and identity with Marina's own real-life heartache seamlessly interwoven with her tough, b****y, homewrecking alter ego, Electra Heart. Electra also seems to be a metaphor for material corruption and immaturity, some recurring themes from Marina's first album, 'The Family Jewels'. That's pretty much the only connection between these two albums; while Marina keeps her quirky, alternative style of story-telling, 'Electra Heart' has taken a bold step into darker, more sinister, electro-pop/rock (imagine a bunch of vampires at a disco - it sounds like that), leaving behind her earlier lighthearted indie-pop sound. The lyrics can sometimes seem a little rushed and forced, such as in "The State Of Dreaming" where she repeats "my life is a play, is a play, is a play" over and over or the rather awkward "you may be good-looking but you're not a piece of art" in "Power & Control". Still, pretty much every song here adds something new to Marina's/Electra's story and, while I should admit it took me quite a long time to truly appreciate them all, there really isn't a vacuous moment on this record. Highlights for me are the unashamedly brash "Bubblegum B****" the agonising plea to keep a relationship alive in "Lies", the retrospective, regretful "Teen Idle" (which really is an amazing song), the pessimistic love-song "Radioactive" and "Sex Yeah", a feminist cry for some dignity in society. Like I said, it can take some time to appreciate it but ultimately 'Electra Heart' is an album really worth buying. Expand
  4. Jul 28, 2012
    Honestly This Is The 2nd Best Album Of 2012! (#1 Born To Die, Lana Del Rey) Very Amazing Vocals And Creative Lyrics!
    Marina Gives You Somthing Really Special!
  5. Jul 11, 2012
    Marvelous album. Possibly my favorite of the year. Probably the only pop album I will ever enjoy. I don't usually listen to music in this genre, I'm usually more into rock and punk, but this album first grabbed my attention when i first listened to the acoustic version of her song "Lies" It was so beautiful I made sure to pre-order the album, It didn't disappoint. The songs are fun and catchy but have actual meaning in them and as Marina is listed as the first song writer it makes the songs a lot more special. I'm a sucker for talent, and there's defiantly a lot in this album. My only complaint is it wasn't released with a few great songs. Expand
  6. Jul 13, 2012
    This album is everything a perfect album should be!!! Best Pop Album of 2012 !!! The highlight songs of this album are Primadonna,Starring Role, Homewrecker,Living Dead and Teen Idle. Therr isn't a single filler song in the album. Beautiful imagery and concept, couldn't ask for any better.
  7. Aug 24, 2012
    This is my 2nd favorite album of all time (behind The Family Jewels)
    It took me a while to warm up to this album (as it did with the family jewels) but now that I've gotten used to them I absolutely love them! You should buy this album and find Living Dead, Buy the Stars, Lonely Hearts Club and Scab and Plaster, because they are also fantastic. Just give this album a chance and listen to
    every song at least 3 times, then you will LOVE it. If you must, only get Bubblegum **** Lies, Homewrecker, Starring Role, How to be a Heartbreaker, and Fear and Loathing. Primadonna is her most popular song, and probably to easiest to like, but not my personal favorite Expand
  8. Apr 12, 2013
    Electra Heart is an excessively underrated album, and those who have taken the time to learn the album, listen to the lyrics and look past the brilliant (but considered generic and tacky) production have learned that it's a fantastic album. Every song has meaning and carefully crafted lyrics, and while the production is seemingly basic and flat, if you listen to it properly and line it up with the lyrics then they compliment each other almost masterfully.

It's an album anyone would enjoy, but like an Eternal Sunshine.../Cloud Atlas style film it baffles the simple minded who aren't willing to TRY and understand it, and shines for those that pay attention.
  9. Mar 24, 2013
    A Perfect Album! A Pop Soapopera!
  10. Apr 20, 2013
    I had never heard of Marina before i heard Primadonna on Now 82, but i am so glad i did, she is brilliant. The album is dark but very enjoyable, the songs were all great, especially power and control and lies.
  11. May 6, 2013
    The critic had been so bad with Electra Heart. This nearly made me hate the all critic. Electra Heart isn't better than The Family Jewels, but is perfect like it.
  12. May 12, 2013
    Great album. Really nice. Primadonna, How To Be A Heartbreaker and Power and Control are the top 3 tracks from the album. I am glad this album did somewhat well.
  13. May 29, 2013
    This album is amazing, very dark and strange but still as good as the family jewels. The album is flawless, all the songs are fantastic, my favorite songs are primadonna, bubblegum and power and control
  14. Jun 23, 2013
    What is so wrong with this album that the critics give it a 57? i just don't get it. Well then again most of the time i just don't agree with the critics and i think the fans should speak for themselves.
  15. Oct 18, 2013
    Marina and the diamonds used the pop in his favor, got together with feeling and deep lyrics with a pop production and accurate.
    Electra heart is an intelligent pop album, cohesive and a great singer behind it.
  16. Oct 28, 2013
    Pop music the way it should be. Shedding a new light on what we do or don't stand for. Meaningful lyrics with extremely catchy melody's. A must have for all types of people. It can make you cry at the same time as making you want to dance all night.
  17. Nov 14, 2013
    One of my favorite albums! Eventhough "love" is an album theme we use to see everywhere, she knows how to make it original! Well Done Marina! Se agapame!!

1. Jul 16, 2012
    Diamandis is trying to expose the artifice of big-box pop music by using its own voice, and despite the obvious trappings of the concept, she does a fairly respectable job.
    Marina Diamandis rivals Katy Perry for catchy hooks, commands with the swagger of Gwen Stefani, and even comes close to the ethereal vocal exhilaration of Florence Welch.
  3. Jun 21, 2012