Electra Heart - Marina and the Diamonds
8.4

Review this album

1. Jul 13, 2012
    This album is everything a perfect album should be!!! Best Pop Album of 2012 !!! The highlight songs of this album are Primadonna,Starring Role, Homewrecker,Living Dead and Teen Idle. Therr isn't a single filler song in the album. Beautiful imagery and concept, couldn't ask for any better.
  2. Jul 11, 2012
    It's flawed and at times pretentious, but it's the sign of an artist who knows what she wants and has potential for great things. Make sure to download "Buy the Stars", "Lonely Hearts Club", and "Living Dead", three of the best cuts which didn't make the US edition.
  3. Nov 2, 2012
    Marina Diamandis (AKA Marina and the Diamonds) is easily one of the most intelligent popstars out there. 'Electra Heart' is one big witty, sarcastic take on love, youth and identity with Marina's own real-life heartache seamlessly interwoven with her tough, b****y, homewrecking alter ego, Electra Heart. Electra also seems to be a metaphor for material corruption and immaturity, some recurring themes from Marina's first album, 'The Family Jewels'. That's pretty much the only connection between these two albums; while Marina keeps her quirky, alternative style of story-telling, 'Electra Heart' has taken a bold step into darker, more sinister, electro-pop/rock (imagine a bunch of vampires at a disco - it sounds like that), leaving behind her earlier lighthearted indie-pop sound. The lyrics can sometimes seem a little rushed and forced, such as in "The State Of Dreaming" where she repeats "my life is a play, is a play, is a play" over and over or the rather awkward "you may be good-looking but you're not a piece of art" in "Power & Control". Still, pretty much every song here adds something new to Marina's/Electra's story and, while I should admit it took me quite a long time to truly appreciate them all, there really isn't a vacuous moment on this record. Highlights for me are the unashamedly brash "Bubblegum B****" the agonising plea to keep a relationship alive in "Lies", the retrospective, regretful "Teen Idle" (which really is an amazing song), the pessimistic love-song "Radioactive" and "Sex Yeah", a feminist cry for some dignity in society. Like I said, it can take some time to appreciate it but ultimately 'Electra Heart' is an album really worth buying. Expand
  4. Jul 28, 2012
    Honestly This Is The 2nd Best Album Of 2012! (#1 Born To Die, Lana Del Rey) Very Amazing Vocals And Creative Lyrics!
    Marina Gives You Somthing Really Special!
  5. Jul 11, 2012
    Marvelous album. Possibly my favorite of the year. Probably the only pop album I will ever enjoy. I don't usually listen to music in this genre, I'm usually more into rock and punk, but this album first grabbed my attention when i first listened to the acoustic version of her song "Lies" It was so beautiful I made sure to pre-order the album, It didn't disappoint. The songs are fun and catchy but have actual meaning in them and as Marina is listed as the first song writer it makes the songs a lot more special. I'm a sucker for talent, and there's defiantly a lot in this album. My only complaint is it wasn't released with a few great songs. Expand
  6. Aug 21, 2012
    We have to face it. The whole entire Electra Heart persona is basically just an excuse to make music that's more marketable than the Family Jewels. I know her occasionally-deluded fans don't want to admit it, but it's true. I think even Marina wants to convince it to herself at this point.
    With that out of the way, Electra Heart is a semi-clever and incredibly-fun sophomore effort. The
    big problem is that when you make a concept album, especially one this big, you need a more complex character then "She's a stereotypical rich **** Expand
  7. May 22, 2013
    About a year ago I first heard Primadonna, and now I've become a fully-fledged Diamond. This album is easily my favourite of the two, and arguably my favourite album. The lyrics painting all too relatable pictures, of obsession with fame, social anxiety and gender wars in romance alongside a reasonably well deserified tone and sound of the backing music make this album quite the treat.
  8. Nov 4, 2012
    Fazer um álbum conceitual hoje em dia é extremamente complicado devido a fatores mercadológicos. Fazer um álbum conceitual eletropop é ainda mais difícil. Numa época onde a maioria das músicas não passam de "vamos dançar a noite inteira" como assunto e batidas feitas apenas para bombar nas paradas, ter espaço para criar composições que vão além de tudo isso é de tirar o chapéu. Então, já podemos esperar algo interessante do álbum Electra Heart da galesa Marina & The Diamond. Nem que o resultado final seja irregular.

O segundo trabalho dela é a história da glória e queda da "personagem" Electra Heart. Misturando influências do mundo pop que vão desde Madonna até Pet Shop Boys em uma moldura de "tragédia pop-grega". Devido a isso o álbum embarca em um tom sombrio e dramático onde ela usa bastante de cinismo, humor negro e uma pitada da sadismo calculado. Apesar de trabalho com nomes do pop comercial atual como Dr. Luke, Sategate e o DJ Diplo, ela dá espaço para produtores que a ajudou a lançar seu primeiro álbum, The Family Jewels em 2010. Do começo ao fim, Electra Heart é um trabalho impressionante se tratando de arranjos. Cada música tem sua grandiosidade própria e soa elegantemente original. Indo na contramão do "tradicional", Marina tem uma poderosa voz que necessita de quase nada para mostrar a que veio. Os efeitos vocais são utilizados de maneira inteligente deixando a voz dela brilhar naturalmente. O grande problema é como a "história" de Electra. Entre composições inspiradíssimas cheias de sarcasmos, o álbum tem várias letras fracas artisticamente falando. Faltou para certas músicas uma pegada mais refinada e, em algumas, mais inteligente. Esses momentos fazem o resultado do álbum cair levando junto a ótima produção envolta delas. E devo dizer que é uma pena, pois quando ela acerta é de aplaudir de pé. A genial Homewrecker (uma das melhores músicas do ano até agora) em estilo fala/canta uma Marina que não tem medo admitir que é uma "destruidora de lares" que não acredita no amor. Fazendo uma aberta e avassaladora crítíca ao mundo dos ídolos pop na genial Teen Idle. Outros bons momentos estão no single Primadonna (resenha a seguir), a triste Starring Role e na dark Valley of the Dolls. Já os momentos fracos concentram em Lies, Power & Control e chatinha Hypocrates que destoa do resto do álbum. O resultado é irregular, mas é louvável ver alguém fazendo algo diferente.
  9. Jul 16, 2012
    I just like it . Downloaded amiel sande, missy higgins and foo fighters on the same day but still choose this album. maybe Im missing lilly alllen for the quirky choice. Love the melody in lies though - always catch myself humming it. For the record downloaded it via Samsung.
    good work - keep it up
  10. Aug 24, 2012
    This is my 2nd favorite album of all time (behind The Family Jewels)
    It took me a while to warm up to this album (as it did with the family jewels) but now that I've gotten used to them I absolutely love them! You should buy this album and find Living Dead, Buy the Stars, Lonely Hearts Club and Scab and Plaster, because they are also fantastic. Just give this album a chance and listen to
    every song at least 3 times, then you will LOVE it. If you must, only get Bubblegum **** Lies, Homewrecker, Starring Role, How to be a Heartbreaker, and Fear and Loathing. Primadonna is her most popular song, and probably to easiest to like, but not my personal favorite Expand
  11. Oct 11, 2012
    As a teenager, it is easy for me to relate to this album and to its meaning. The idea of an "alter-ego theme" album is appealing, and the lyrics of the album are meaningful enough. At least that is what it seems. I though about my opinion on "Electra Heart" many times and I came to the conclusion that Marina Diamandis achieves what she says she wants on "Teen Idle": "I wanna be a real fake".
    "Electra Heart" starts horribly: "Bubblegum **** is an annoying combination of childish cliches: "I'll chew you up and I'll spit you out/
  12. May 12, 2013
    Great album. Really nice. Primadonna, How To Be A Heartbreaker and Power and Control are the top 3 tracks from the album. I am glad this album did somewhat well.
  13. Jul 26, 2012
    I really enjoyed this album. The production feels very modern yet classic. And Marina's operatic vocals are superb. The album is a retro dance-pop opus. Electra Heart contains amazingly catchy. The hooks are very radio-friendly and instantly catch the ear. There are some very quirky beats in this album as well. Electra is not all electronic, though. There are clear trip hop influences especially in songs Teen Idle and Starring Role. There is a new wave, indie pop feel in the song Hypocrates. And the album's cathcy and lyrically smart album opener, Bubblegum **** feels very glam rock. The album may come off a sophomore effort to push Diamandis into the mainstream world, but the lyrics are actually very smart. It's not some dumb, sexual, brainless album. It is very..well, ballsy. Electra is very well executed. Some tracks come off as woozy, though. Especially in the tracks: Valley of the Dolls and Hypocrates. Also, Electra Heart is packed with cheerleader, school-yard chants and stompers. Most notably in the songs, Bubblegum **** Homewrecker, and How To Be A Heartbreaker. Overall, the album comes off as a smart, easily mainstream, and powerful album packed with some amazing lyrical punch. HIGHLIGHTS: Teen Idle, The State of Dreaming, Bubblegum **** Primadonna, How To Be A Heartbreaker SONGS THAT ARE TO BE SKIPPED: Valley of the Dolls, Sex Yeah Expand
  14. Oct 3, 2013
    Marina and the Diamonds new album (well not anymore) Electra Heart is a fun album filled with catchy tunes and what not, but it is incoherent, over-produced and its lyrics are even clumsy at times. This album sadly gets sillier with each listen-through as well. But overall, this is a fun and enjoyable album.
  15. Jul 29, 2012
    This is one of the best albums for 2012. 'Electra Heart' has some great classic pop songs. I really like "Primadonna", "Power & Control", "Homewecker" & "Lies". I really like the acoustic version of "Lies". I hope this album become one of the best-selling albums of 2012. It sells good for a debut artist worldwide with second studio album.
  16. Nov 17, 2012
    A strong second album from Marina which clearly indicates how versatile she is as an artist. It's far from perfect, but the imperfections do little to detract from the album's sound. It's clear that Marina - unlike many of her contemporaries - does more than turn up at the studio to record some vocals. She's involved from start-to-finish. If this is anything to go by, Marina has a great future ahead of her. A very good album. Expand
  17. Dec 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are plenty of songs that define the definition of pop, such as the flawless "Primadonna". But there are also a few songs that seem very mellowed out, i.e., "Fear and Loathing". I just recently listened to this album and I overall believe Marina will crack the US with her pop songs very soon! Expand
  18. Apr 12, 2013
    Electra Heart is an excessively underrated album, and those who have taken the time to learn the album, listen to the lyrics and look past the brilliant (but considered generic and tacky) production have learned that it's a fantastic album. Every song has meaning and carefully crafted lyrics, and while the production is seemingly basic and flat, if you listen to it properly and line it up with the lyrics then they compliment each other almost masterfully.

It's an album anyone would enjoy, but like an Eternal Sunshine.../Cloud Atlas style film it baffles the simple minded who aren't willing to TRY and understand it, and shines for those that pay attention.
  19. Mar 24, 2013
    A Perfect Album! A Pop Soapopera!
  20. Apr 20, 2013
    I had never heard of Marina before i heard Primadonna on Now 82, but i am so glad i did, she is brilliant. The album is dark but very enjoyable, the songs were all great, especially power and control and lies.
  21. May 6, 2013
    The critic had been so bad with Electra Heart. This nearly made me hate the all critic. Electra Heart isn't better than The Family Jewels, but is perfect like it.
  22. May 29, 2013
    This album is amazing, very dark and strange but still as good as the family jewels. The album is flawless, all the songs are fantastic, my favorite songs are primadonna, bubblegum and power and control
  23. Jun 23, 2013
    What is so wrong with this album that the critics give it a 57? i just don't get it. Well then again most of the time i just don't agree with the critics and i think the fans should speak for themselves.
  24. Oct 18, 2013
    Marina and the diamonds used the pop in his favor, got together with feeling and deep lyrics with a pop production and accurate.
    Electra heart is an intelligent pop album, cohesive and a great singer behind it.
  25. Oct 28, 2013
    Pop music the way it should be. Shedding a new light on what we do or don't stand for. Meaningful lyrics with extremely catchy melody's. A must have for all types of people. It can make you cry at the same time as making you want to dance all night.
  26. Nov 2, 2013
    What seems to be based around a self absorbed nutcase, Electra Heart is probably one of the greatest concept albums of all time. Let downs can occur during certain tracks, though a lot of this is to blame on the lacking of material written by Marina Diamandis. The high morale present in the voice of Diamandis is always a good sign whilst listening to Electra Heart.
  27. Feb 7, 2014
    The moral of the story is that though it is nice to have an expensive production team, oodles of marketing appeal and great lyrics, one should really examine that all three things can actual co-exist to make something magical as opposed to something unmemorable. That being said, this album is far from terrible, but overall is a grand disappointment when relating it what was to Marina’s near perfect debut album, 2009’s 'The Family Jewels'. Expand
  28. Nov 14, 2013
    One of my favorite albums! Eventhough "love" is an album theme we use to see everywhere, she knows how to make it original! Well Done Marina! Se agapame!!
  29. Dec 17, 2013
    The funny thing here is that Electra Heart had everything to be just another generic electropop album, but Marina to add your intelligent and well-crafted compositions, shows that a singer can make smart electropops songs, unlike Ke$ha and derivatives.
  30. Dec 30, 2013
    Marina has the idea of what is what she wants with her music. She has her own style; her own way to compose and a big voice, everything is reflect in this album. Certainly she needs to take a change in the rhythm of her songs to do not become a boring singer.

1. Jul 16, 2012
    Diamandis is trying to expose the artifice of big-box pop music by using its own voice, and despite the obvious trappings of the concept, she does a fairly respectable job.
    Marina Diamandis rivals Katy Perry for catchy hooks, commands with the swagger of Gwen Stefani, and even comes close to the ethereal vocal exhilaration of Florence Welch.
  3. Jun 21, 2012