• Record Label: Island
7.4

Review this album

1. MartinC.
    Apr 30, 2008
    She recycled her previous album... again. Just no.
  2. DecM.
    May 7, 2008
    On a whole it's a very good album with songs like "I stay in love" and "i wish u well" displaying the famous 8 octave vocal range but many tracks limit her vocals and if her name and picture were not on the album cover they could easily be mistaken for a mariah wannabe like beyonce....Also this album although quite good is full of forgettable tracks....Would love to see the old On a whole it's a very good album with songs like "I stay in love" and "i wish u well" displaying the famous 8 octave vocal range but many tracks limit her vocals and if her name and picture were not on the album cover they could easily be mistaken for a mariah wannabe like beyonce....Also this album although quite good is full of forgettable tracks....Would love to see the old mariah back where she wasn't a product of media culture ie the daydream era was possibly her at her best. Expand
  3. jack1222e
    Jun 3, 2008
    TRUST ME ON THIS! I am a Mariah fan like u fools, but there is nothing new here. Everything is average at best, in fact its inferior to her last hit album. There are about 4-5 quality tracks. Touch my body was basically the best she had to offer and it was the only worthy song to sell her CD.
  4. DiegoT.
    Jul 1, 2008
    The album lacks a "We Belong Together" (perhaps the track that comes close is "I Stay In Love," but all 14 tracks are, together, stronger than its predecessor. Perfect for the summer, and perfect for a huge R&B Diva. Her vocals are as strong as ever, her songwriting is as consistent as it's ever been. Highlights include "Side Effects," "I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time," The album lacks a "We Belong Together" (perhaps the track that comes close is "I Stay In Love," but all 14 tracks are, together, stronger than its predecessor. Perfect for the summer, and perfect for a huge R&B Diva. Her vocals are as strong as ever, her songwriting is as consistent as it's ever been. Highlights include "Side Effects," "I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time," "I'm That Chick," Touch My Body," And "I Stay In Love." Expand
  5. JordanK
    Jun 1, 2009
    I disagree with the reviewers who are saying this is an exact replica of "The Emancipation of Mimi." While that album was very obviously influenced by old-school soul, this album is, for the most part, not. It is a very modern-sounding, club-ready, forward-thinking set of songs. It may not have a classic hit like "We Belong Together," but it is stronger song for song than its predecessor; I disagree with the reviewers who are saying this is an exact replica of "The Emancipation of Mimi." While that album was very obviously influenced by old-school soul, this album is, for the most part, not. It is a very modern-sounding, club-ready, forward-thinking set of songs. It may not have a classic hit like "We Belong Together," but it is stronger song for song than its predecessor; in fact, there is not one dud on here. Also, her vocals are much better than they were on "Emancipation," probably the strongest they have been since at least "Rainbow." I still enjoy this album more than a year since it was released. It truly deserved more hits than the 1 or 2 it received. Expand
  6. JohnnyR.
    Apr 14, 2008
    I could not be any more disappointed!!! I was so bored by the whole thing. Migrate gave me a migraine! It's trying hard to be "Emancipation" but it's really mediocre-annoying-diva at best.
  7. AlanS.
    Apr 15, 2008
    Love the new CD. Can't stop playing it. Brilliant pop. She's done it again.
  8. NM
    Apr 15, 2008
    This is an amazing album from start to finish. She uses her deep voice quite a bit, which sounds amazing. And finally, we get some real bass! My favorite tracks are I'll Be Lovin You Long Time, For The Record, Migrate, Cruise Control, Side Effects, I'm That chick and I Wish You Well... all the tracks are really great. It has something for almost everyone! Yet, it's cohesive!
  9. MaxP.
    Apr 15, 2008
    This album is extremely bad. Though I have only heard a few songs off of this record I can tell you that it is another contrived piece of garbage put out by the failing American music industry. Pathetic, Unoriginal and terribly over produced. You want something better than this? Try almost anything else.
  10. NickL.
    Apr 16, 2008
    Where's Slant's review?
  11. GabrielL.
    Apr 17, 2008
    This is a more "concentrated" album than the Emancipation of Mimi.. with more potential hits and 0 side tracks.
  12. NJ.
    Apr 18, 2008
    Absolutely Amazing, I have never heard of of something so original and greta as loving you long time its amazing so different and love story is amazing and bye bye will help people so much, and listen loves if she was making ballads like using all her voice power she wouldn't sell that was her downfall this is the music of the future so deal with it or stay in the past moaning, every Absolutely Amazing, I have never heard of of something so original and greta as loving you long time its amazing so different and love story is amazing and bye bye will help people so much, and listen loves if she was making ballads like using all her voice power she wouldn't sell that was her downfall this is the music of the future so deal with it or stay in the past moaning, every song has its own sound its amazing! Expand
  13. SK.
    Apr 18, 2008
    A polished, accomplished pop/R&B confection you can play from beginning to end and that gets better with each listen. If "Emancipation of Mimi" was her "Off the Wall," then this is her "Thriller." An almost certain Album of the Year nominee. She dabbles in reggae, disco, electro-funk and anchors the album with the R&B jams you expect. At least 7 of these songs could be singles. Highlights A polished, accomplished pop/R&B confection you can play from beginning to end and that gets better with each listen. If "Emancipation of Mimi" was her "Off the Wall," then this is her "Thriller." An almost certain Album of the Year nominee. She dabbles in reggae, disco, electro-funk and anchors the album with the R&B jams you expect. At least 7 of these songs could be singles. Highlights include the haunting "Side Effects," the "Billie Jean" of the collection, which chronicles an abusive relationship to an irresistible and dark melody. "For The Record" has a great early '80s pop groove, and "Migrate" is a funky club jam that uses auto-tune very creatively. Not as improvisational sounding as "Mimi" but it has huge entertainment value. "Bye Bye," a treacly ballad, is the only misstep. Expand
  14. C
    Apr 18, 2008
    NME (which counts for metacritic) has given the album a 7/10 in the paper issue.
  15. ElvisP.
    Apr 19, 2008
    Excrement = Mariah Carey's music 2.
  16. LuciaS.
    Apr 24, 2008
    My god...I wasted 20 Euros on this garbage..can i sue mariah or someone for this??
  17. tres
    Apr 25, 2008
    THE DEATH OF THE VOICE.
  18. RCL
    Apr 25, 2008
    Maybe her best.
  19. NeriS
    Apr 26, 2008
    MC came up with a satisfying album full of potential hits. There are lot of people who are simply haters and you can tell by looking at the ratings with 0 or 1 without any substantial comments to say.
  20. NickL
    Apr 27, 2008
    Are you people crazy? This album is brilliant. Her best in years.
  21. ShannaP
    Apr 28, 2008
    Another great great great album! Every song is enjoyable! She never ceases to amaze me!
  22. SecardinO.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Mediocre album and no artistic ambition.
  23. JorgeS.
    May 2, 2008
    Mariah's best since "Butterfly". I love every song.
  24. ClifC.
    May 30, 2008
    A 8 only because of the overproduction and one or two songs ("O.O.C." & "Thanx 4 Nothin'") that I can hardly listen. Since the Butterfly album, she has released with E=MC2 her best album.
  25. MakMak
    May 6, 2008
    Hottest MC record since Butterfly. Her best as a singer and songwriter. Gotta give her props! 2008 is the Year of Mariah once more.
  26. PaoloQ.
    Jun 11, 2008
    All tracks are great and the album is better than TEOM. Mariah Carey is becoming better than ever.
  27. anonymous
    Jul 9, 2008
    Big No!!!! No!!!!!! Album, I'm realy not enjoy hear this album.
  28. LeandroT
    Aug 3, 2009
    This album is the best. All the tracks are enjoiable. It's hard those the favorites. Touch my body is the best. I like so much Migrate, I'm that Chick, Last Kiss, I'll be lovin u a long time. It's sad the album didn't sold as well as TEOM. I think she made some mistakes choosing the singles. Bye bye shouldn't be the second single. It's a beautiful but This album is the best. All the tracks are enjoiable. It's hard those the favorites. Touch my body is the best. I like so much Migrate, I'm that Chick, Last Kiss, I'll be lovin u a long time. It's sad the album didn't sold as well as TEOM. I think she made some mistakes choosing the singles. Bye bye shouldn't be the second single. It's a beautiful but sad music, a little bit depressed. Expand
  29. DanS.
    Apr 15, 2008
    This album is HOT. If you like beautiful melodies and heart felt lyrics, BUY THIS ALBUM. I had to wash my balls after listening to this!!!
  30. JamieI.
    Apr 15, 2008
    I was never a Mariah fan but I am feeling this CD and enjoying her song writing skills. This is much like the Justin Timberlake CD in that the majority of songs can be hit singles. This CD will be HUGE for her, HUGE. The lyrics on several songs, Side Effects, Bye Bye, Love Story will connect with people deeply. Buy it and enjoy!

1. The result is a largely enjoyable mix of flirtatious club jams, midtempo love songs, and emotional ballads anchored by hip hop beats that hansomely showcase the singer's powerful vocal range. [18 Apr 2008, p.63]
  2. The production is glossed to within an inch of its life, the mood is cheerfully upbeat--or 'festive' as Carey might put it herself--and the entire confection rings out with bold, sassy, brutally executed intent.
  3. Nearly every song confines Carey to four-note verses, offering little room for her glorious range, and the six ballads are drenched in yearbook-quote lyrics that never quite work themselves into the froth of "The Emancipation of Mimi."