7.8

Review this album

1. Aug 12, 2010
    Gotta give it up for the stones. They are one of the most influential artists of our time. Exile on Main Street is probably to go down as one of the best albums of all time.
  2. Mar 13, 2011
    Entered the music store and found the reissue of a classic. Exile On Main Street. As a long time Stones fan, I grew up listening to Brown Sugar or Satisfaction, those classic hits. But found in Exile On Main Street the true roots of the Stones sound. Just few seconds into Rock Off opened my mind. An album to love, listen, love, and listen a bit more.
  3. May 12, 2011
    once again a great album. a classic album is getting negative reviews. if you don't like the album then don't review it. you bastards are getting annoying with your hateful reviews. i love this album. yes im a black person.
  4. j30
    Jan 26, 2012
    This is my favorite Rolling Stones album. You hear so many of their hits on the radio that you tend to forget how great their individual albums are. Exile On Main Street reigns supreme.
  5. Jul 28, 2011
    This is a beautifully crafted album from beginning to end. It may lack hits, but there isn't a single song used as filler, and all of the songs are fantastic. The Rolling Stones finally achieved the Chicago blues sound they were searching for on Exile and it shows how good the Stones were in their prime.

I was a little skeptical when they were going to reissue the album with some
    unreleased tracks and alternate takes, but the extras are completely worth the extra money. The extras sound fantastic and give new insight into the development of the album. The one track "Plundered My Soul" is especially enjoyable and it is a highlight from the entire album. Expand
  6. Jul 9, 2013
    This album represents more than the music itself, it's a provocation to the state, in this case to the U.K. They also are under the influence of drugs That´s always a nice combination.
  7. Mar 22, 2011
    I'm just here for the Stones. I understand why people don't get Exile, but if there were ever an example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts, this album is it. If it's too raw, if it's poorly mixed, if has has a bunch of odd little inconsequential songs, well, then I guess that's what I like. And it does of course have some great songs; Rocks Off is my all-time favorite Stones song, Shine A Light is beautiful and tender, like the white-light flip side of Sway from Sticky Fingers (also a favorite of mine); Let It Loose is special, and a song almost everyone overlooks. And Exile is at least and loving and sweet and vulnerable as it is cynical; actually, it isn't very cynical at all. Listen closely; it's the Stones loving the useless world. Exile is the best popular music album ever, full-stop. If only they had always recorded like this. And as time's gone by and we've all gradually realized that Keith is the real heart and soul of this band, it's not surprising to learn that Mick isn't all that keen on Exile, and Keith thinks it's their best album. Always listen to Keef; he knows. Oh won't you be my, little baby, for a while... Expand
  8. Sep 7, 2010
    I signed up expressly to voice my opinion on this particular remastering of Exile. Not that it matters; but, i was around when this LP was originally released. I owned a record store from 1969 until recently when I sold it to the managers. That gives me no particular qualification other than I lived in record stores from when i was a kid and that was a natural progression for me. This LP was the Stones best LP. The original release would, for me, earn an 11 on a ten scale. It was raw and Jagger's voice was treated a another instrument in the recoding and mix down of the album. The LP was more of a sound experience and feel. It was not necessary to know all the lyrics because a whole experience was the goal of the LP.

The new mix brings Jagger's vocals, intentionally, to the forefront. To accomplish this, compression was also used to bring the sound into a certain range. This killed the dynamics of the original release. Much of the high and low ends were wiped out. Every song has the same range and eventually causes listener fatigue All this data reduction detracts from the music..This is all well and good if one is listening to an I-Pod or MP3. If you want to hear the music the way it was recorded, try the mid '90's Virgin reissue or the original vinyl. I am told that the vinyl of this reissue is better. As for the bonus material , most of it is alright. In some tracks , you can tell they were unfinished and finished for this project. I returned my CD for a refund. I am lucky enough to own the original vinyl and he Virgin reissue. This use of compression was even more of a disaster on the recent Beatles stereo reissues.
  9. Nov 12, 2010
    Not a particularly good album, certainly not the Rolling Stones' best album (perhaps Let It Bleed wins that prize) and definitely overrated by the critics this time around. It wasn't particularly well received when it first came out, for reasons which are obvious on relistening to it. Not bad, but not that good.
  10. Jul 23, 2013
    good album,it has some songs that are the best(tumbling dice,all down the line,shine a light,happy,rocks off)but it has some songs that are really bad(casino boogie,ijust want to see his face)or boring songs like (sweet virginia,sweet black angel).Good album but there are better albums and exile is too overrated

1. We keep hearing that rock and roll is a feeling, right? The Stones inhabited that feeling seamlessly here, mainly because the murk fizzed and fused those seams together.
    If allowing Jagger to touch up those vocals was the price to pay to allow Exile receive the tribute it deserves, it's still a bargain.
  3. Never bettered, this is the world’s greatest rock ‘n’ roll band’s crowning triumph. Own this!