Fear of a Blank Planet

Review this album

1. Dec 22, 2011
    Quite simply, the best Porcupine Tree has to offer. Showcasing some of the best songs they have ever written in (almost) perfect sound quality/mix. It does however lose a little bit of momentum towards the end of the album, but for the most part the tracks contain everything that is good about Porcupine Tree.
  2. Aug 5, 2011
    Clearly the best album by progressive rock/metal band porcupine tree. Six tracks which show the best from this band. Any rock or metal fan will like this album if he/she listens it more than once. Its composition is impressive. It is a must-buy so go for it. "Anesthesize" and "Sentimental" are for me the top two songs but the other four are also great.
  3. Aug 28, 2014
    Some people say: "Oh, only six songs", but I say: "I prefer six incredible songs rather than a 12 tracks album with 2 good songs and 10 filler songs."
  4. Kyle
    Sep 1, 2009
    Porcupine Tree is so far beyond any other band that exists; their music is as much a work of art as it is fantastic. The lyrics are breathtakingly deep and the music accompanies them to provide, although often incredibly dark, an experience that is just incredible.
  5. PedroL.
    Dec 10, 2007
    Maybe best album of 2007... modern prog rock, including a17 minute track (anesthetize) featuring Alex Lifes on on guitar...
  6. MattM.
    Sep 18, 2007
    Easily a top selection for 2007. Incredible soundscapes. Requires repeated listening for full effect.
  7. GaryP.
    Jan 2, 2008
    YeGODS! Porcupine Tree at their best!
  8. H.IPark
    Jan 30, 2008
    Their asthetic taste for grand masterpieces.
  9. PinkF
    Aug 1, 2008
    Surprisingly enough, not even most of the heavy hitter reviewers up top mentioned (or maybe even understood?) the theme of this album. American youth being absorbed by the media and A.D.D? Priceless theme, beautiful music. A ten if there ever was one.
  10. WuT
    Jun 11, 2009
    Best British band with yet another masterpiece. Believe the hype. Buy this album.
  11. SanderE.
    Oct 15, 2007
    Indeed one of the best albums of 2007. This is what progrock should sound like..
  12. FredG.
    Sep 17, 2007
    Spectacular album. IT is easily one of the best of 2007.
  13. TylerJ
    Sep 19, 2007
    One of the best albums of 2007. And I'm sure there are more than six reviews! Come on!
  14. EricS
    Sep 19, 2007
    One of, if not the best album of the year. Buy this if you are a fan of rock music, be it prog, indie or emo.
  15. RobF.
    Feb 24, 2008
    One of the best Porcupine Tree albums of their career. A big surprise of showin psycadelic rock with prog and amibent. Great job guys!! Plus Nil Recurring is great as well.
  16. Teli
    Apr 1, 2008
    Great album but Deadwing is still better and that is saying a lot. I discovered PT a year ago and was glad to find a band I enjoy as much as Pink Floyd.
  17. AndrewD.
    Nov 29, 2007
    One of, if not, the best progressive rock albums in decades.
  18. AndrewH.
    Oct 19, 2007
    One of the best albums of the year.
  19. Vocalius
    Mar 31, 2008
    By far best porcupine tree record
  20. GregA
    Apr 21, 2008
    In a word - terrific. I can see how they built up to this release with Deadwing. One of my favorite CD's period.
  21. JayK.
    Nov 18, 2007
    By far one of Porcupine Tree's best albums. It's far more accessible than their older stuff, but it retains the complex, prog edge that only Porcupine Tree can deliver.
  22. Nov 25, 2010
    One of my new favorite bands because of this album, it's awesome. This is an easy 10 and is better than their most recent album IMO. If you like this, I recommend In Absentia or Deadwing.
  23. Aug 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This album opens up with a gripping, catchy song that uses several different musical melodies. It retains its interest throughout the song in a very Radioheadesque fashion in terms of musical techniques used.
    After that it breaks into My Ashes, possibly one of the most poignant pieces I have ever heard. It continues onto the angsty Anesthetize and then finishes with some of the most beautiful and creative music I have ever heard. All in all, even if you come from a place that requires something new every song, this album will satisfy you. It also has some of Porcupine Tree's most beautiful melodies.

1. Porcupine Tree makes a triumphant return to experimental, non-linear style with 2007's Fear of a Blank Planet.
  2. For elder listeners Fear probably won't serve as the powerful statement it wants to be--its themes have been explored to more exacting impact before and, musically, it's fairly standard progressive fare--but it is a strong and intelligent album and for a generation that's grown numb from three-minute ditties about life at the end of the country club cul-de-sac that embrace rather than rage against the dying of the light, it may serve as a wake up call and provide hope for a brighter and more color-infused tomorrow.
  3. The result is an often crushingly heavy masterpiece that has true meaning with or without the music. It’s a rare thing these days but Porcupine Tree seem able to do it time and again. This album is no exception.