Fear of a Blank Planet - Porcupine Tree
9.2

Review this album

1. Aug 28, 2014
    Some people say: "Oh, only six songs", but I say: "I prefer six incredible songs rather than a 12 tracks album with 2 good songs and 10 filler songs."
  2. Aug 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This album opens up with a gripping, catchy song that uses several different musical melodies. It retains its interest throughout the song in a very Radioheadesque fashion in terms of musical techniques used.
    After that it breaks into My Ashes, possibly one of the most poignant pieces I have ever heard. It continues onto the angsty Anesthetize and then finishes with some of the most beautiful and creative music I have ever heard. All in all, even if you come from a place that requires something new every song, this album will satisfy you. It also has some of Porcupine Tree's most beautiful melodies.
  3. Dec 22, 2011
    Quite simply, the best Porcupine Tree has to offer. Showcasing some of the best songs they have ever written in (almost) perfect sound quality/mix. It does however lose a little bit of momentum towards the end of the album, but for the most part the tracks contain everything that is good about Porcupine Tree.
  4. Aug 5, 2011
    Clearly the best album by progressive rock/metal band porcupine tree. Six tracks which show the best from this band. Any rock or metal fan will like this album if he/she listens it more than once. Its composition is impressive. It is a must-buy so go for it. "Anesthesize" and "Sentimental" are for me the top two songs but the other four are also great.
  5. Nov 25, 2010
    One of my new favorite bands because of this album, it's awesome. This is an easy 10 and is better than their most recent album IMO. If you like this, I recommend In Absentia or Deadwing.

1. Porcupine Tree makes a triumphant return to experimental, non-linear style with 2007's Fear of a Blank Planet.
  2. For elder listeners Fear probably won't serve as the powerful statement it wants to be--its themes have been explored to more exacting impact before and, musically, it's fairly standard progressive fare--but it is a strong and intelligent album and for a generation that's grown numb from three-minute ditties about life at the end of the country club cul-de-sac that embrace rather than rage against the dying of the light, it may serve as a wake up call and provide hope for a brighter and more color-infused tomorrow.
  3. The result is an often crushingly heavy masterpiece that has true meaning with or without the music. It’s a rare thing these days but Porcupine Tree seem able to do it time and again. This album is no exception.