Femme Fatale - Britney Spears
7.0

Review this album

1. Apr 4, 2011
    Femme Fatale, in my opinion, is possibly the best album Britney Spears has released. Now granted In the Zone gave us "Toxic" and Circus, well it gave us "Womanizer" and "Circus"! But Femme Fatale is definitely up-to-date with the latest genres of music including, techno, electropop, synthpop, and even a touch of dubstep, which is new to the States (thankfully its Britney who is introducing dubstep to us!). Some of the hallmarks of the albums has to be:
    I Wanna Go: a very upbeat, catchy tune with lots of autotune and bounce! This song is definitely radio worthy and I feel it has potential to be the popular song of Summer 2011! When the song starts it just makes you want to get up and dance and sing along to it! It's a great song and is probably the best song on the album!

Trip To Your Heart: Very dancy tune, with lots of catchy beats and an awesome chorus melody! Trip to Your Heart is probably one of the sweetest songs on "Femme Fatale" and, in my opinion, sounds like something that Britney would've sung on "...Baby One More Time" or "Oops I Did It Again" if both of the albums were released in 2011! How I Roll: When you first hear this, you'll immediately think that this song is sexy (heavy breathing at the beginning of the song)! Like most of the songs on "Femme Fatale" it has a catchy chorus ("Because I got 9 lives like a kitty cat!") which makes it very sexy and alluring for Britney to sing! Gasoline: This song is shockingly perfect for the age in which we live in (ahem! gas prices). Gasoline is a very sexy song that fits perfectly for Spears and might I add, make gasoline sexy again!

Criminal: This song is a more ballad like song which features Britney falling in love with a criminal. Definitely, puts you in the shoes of Britney's mama! And how she would feel if Britney really were in love with a criminal. Although slow, it's a great addition to "Femme Fatale"'s lineup of nightclub dance worthy tracks

Up N Down (only available on the deluxe version): I love this song! The beats are perfect, vocals are perfect, melody is perfect, everything in this song is perfect! Definitely a song you would hum in your head! Some of the other songs with honors would include:
    Inside Out,
    Drop Dead (Beautiful),
    Seal It With A Kiss,

Now I can say the whole album is great, but there is one song that I don't particularly like, and most people can agree with me on this one, Big Fat Bass! It sounds... OK... but too much autotune and heavy beats. Will.I.Am is not at his best in this song and doesn't do a great job as he did in "The E.N.D." but despite it all, Britney's vocal are outstanding and fills the void of the not-so-great beats and "vocals" (if you would like to call them that) of Will.I.Am! Overall the album is fantastic, but leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to Big Fat Bass. Other than that, well worth every single penny. Great addition to any Britney fan's collection!
    I also suggest the Deluxe version, all of the bonus tracks are awesome, even though I didn't mention them, they're great!
  2. Mar 29, 2011
    Britney returns to the pop spectrum right where she left off with Blackout, continuing to be an advocate for Electro Pop's continual explosion. With hard hitting dubstep beats and an exploration of European dance music, we are treated with one excellent Dance album in Femme Fatale that is sure to leave listeners begging for more. Dare we say, the bar has been elevated? Bravo Ms. Spears, BRAVO!!!
  3. Apr 3, 2011
    I used to love Britney so much, but she has honestly gone so downhill. She doesn't write her songs, make her music, and now she doesn't even sing her own songs. Her voice is so extremely edited, and the songs are so plain. The album is nothing special, and, in my opinion, has to be her worst to date. Song by song review: Till The World Ends: 4/10 The moment I heard it, I knew it was either written by Kesha, or a clear rip off of Kesha. As I believe Kesha has terrible songs, well, I'd obviously hate this.
    Hold It Against Me: 2/10 Sounds like a bad attempt at a dance song, and the lyrics are a bad attempt at sounding flirty.
    Inside Out: 4/10 Again, terrible lyrics. Got annoying after a few listens.
    I Wanna Go: 6.5/10 This song is REALLY close to being a decent song, but there's something about that just irks me. Clearly the next single.
    How I Roll: 6/10 Different, which is nice. The beginning turns you off, though. The first 5 seconds made me annoyed, but after I listened to the entire thing, I actually kinda liked it.
    (Drop Dead) Beautiful: 4/10 So, Till The World Ends sounded like a Kesha song, and in this song there's some chick who seems to be trying to pretend to be Kesha. If the featured girl wasn't in this, it would be an okay song, but she really turns me off.
    Seal It With a Kiss: 5/10 Once again, has potential but fails. Something about it just ... no.
    Big Fat Bass: 0/10 Dear God, what was she thinking.
    Trouble For Me: 5.5/10 First few listens, I liked it. Got boring really quickly.
    Trip To Your Heart: 6/10 One of the better songs on here. The music gets annoying after a bit, but still one of the more decent songs.
    Gasoline: 6.5/10 I hated it at first, but it's really catchy. Like other songs, it has potential to be good, but ... it just isn't.
    Criminal: 8.5/10 Hands down the best on the album. The melody is amazing, the flute is beautiful and ahh. This is the only song I keep going back to. The only song you should bother listening to.

I seriously don't know why people are still in love with her. She has done nothing creative recently, hardly making her worthy of any "Queen and/or Princess of Pop" titles. She needs to settle down and focus on her family life, because her heart's just not into her music anymore.
  4. Mar 29, 2011
    Pop princess, Britney Spears came back with energy and entertaining album "Femme Fatale." Instead of defending her throne as Pop princess, she is more determined to take K$'s Queen of Clubland throne. Her voice is processed and sounds similar or much robotic than K$ or her alter-ego Blackout (2007). It's fun, danceable but it lacks Spears real persona and it relies more on her producers. The musical structure and composition is almost the same. She tries to re-invent Blackout to make it more better but I still think Blackout sounds better. Expand
  5. Jun 11, 2011
    In my opinion, Femme Fatale's strikes are innovative, Britney's voice is better and the record hasn't a bad song. The only thing I was kind of disappointed are the lyrics of songs that aren't that creative... for me the best lyrics are from "Trip To Your Heart" and "Criminal".

Femme Fatale can't be compared to the previous, because if we really consider it her best work: doesn't have
    annoying music or bad. The change in style for trance-pop may not please everyone, however it will please the majority. It will bring more fans to Miss. Spears, because we have one of the most mature records of her career. The album wasn't meant to be heard, but felt.

Generally, I face Femme Fatale as a unique album. I can't compare this work with no other from Britney. I think everything Britney has done so far is unique. And she nailed it on this album. This is what Pop is. Britney knows how to pop, this is fact. The record didn't disappoint me in any aspect. As each and every album has its ups and downs. I really hope she doesn't ignore "How I Roll", "I Wanna Go" and especially "Criminal" because in my opinion are the best of the album along with "Trip To Your Heart". And not being fanatic, but I think Femme Fatale has imperceptible lows. Now it's time to enjoy this record, wait for the bonus tracks and the performance on Good Morning America, the video of Till The World Ends, and something about the new tour.

Britney proves once again that doesn't need to follow trend's music to be fashionable... she creates a different vision of pop music, which few or many, will be happy to savor every melody, production stage, choruses, bridges, etc...
    The album's name does justice to the content. More mature, provocative and daring to the ears of fans and listeners.

It may not have sounded so good at first, but once I heard the album on the iPod, I was loving every song. In it we can see an evolution in relation to the last two albums because it presents a great diversity of sounds, lyrics a little more elaborated and somewhat with census, the most important thing is the fact that hasn't such a weakness noted in the recent musical works. The album in general can be very generic but it is this type of rhythm it is essential these days because the music is changing every time that passes. Overall I loved the album, however it won't be my favorite though. It has been noticed that she gave her heart for working through this fantastic album which I am very thankful and she deserves to be congratulated for this. Even though I really loved the record I feel a little disappointed for the fact that the album doesn't have any ballad.
  6. Mar 29, 2011
    So disappointed. There's barely anything in this album that remotely tells me that this is Britney's best album like she said it was. Now, I love Britney as much as anyone else could, but I love her for a totally different reason than most. I loved her for her innovation and originality that she brought to pop music; she seemed like the first person to bring in different elements of different genres into her music and that what drew me to her during her "Britney" and "In the Zone" era, but now it seems like she's settled on a sound and isn't giving it up.

The writing seems lackluster; there's definitely a theme, but it's so transparent that it doesn't pop like before. I know 12-year-olds that could write better songs than Till the World Ends or Hold It Against Me, but there is no way they could've done the production. The composition on most of these songs are top-notch and that's what really sells the album, which, on its own merits, is an accomplishment but a vague one at the least. This album is definitely "POP GOLD", but whose pop, because it's not Britney's? Actually, it sounds like the pop album of twelve different artists' rejects fused together.

The only highlights I can find are "Inside Out", the dubstep-influenced monster it is, and "I Wanna Go", the disco/electro, Kylie Minogue-esque hit that was obviously skipped as a single choice. I'm not saying that this doesn't reek of Britney or pop fantasy, it's just disappointing.
  7. Mar 29, 2011
    There are about two good songs on here. The rest are some of Britney's worst songs to date. I feel that as a fan, we need to be honest when things aren't good. Big Fat Bass featuring Will.I.Am has to be THE worst song by Britney I've ever heard. TERRIBLE. "I can be your treble baby, you can be my bass", Britney sings. Oh and by the way whoever produced this DESTROYED Britney's sweet voice. It's barely recognizable behind all the autotune. I can understand it's a technique, but by doing that it takes away the artist's personality on a record. Seeing that Britney neither wrote nor produced ANYTHING on the album (She wrote some songs, which didn't make the final tracklist unfortunately), the least they could do was let us hear HER voice; not some robotic, cold, slightly grating voice. There are two great songs on here, which I'm sure Britney had to fight to keep on the album. "Inside Out" is the best Britney song I've heard since Blackout! The instrumental is RICH, DEEP, etc. Just breathtaking! Meanwhile Britney's vocal delivery is amazing from what I can tell. The "Inside Out" lyrics are pretty clever and could be interpreted a number of ways so take your pick ;)

The other highlight is "How I Roll". Probably because it's the song that's most unlike the others. I've never heard a song like this. It's so bubbly, but it's dancy...but it has a piano too. I can't get enough of this song and hope it's a single at some point. There's some intentional mispronunciation of words that's sure to cause controversy, but what is Britney without controversy?

As a Britney fan I regret buying this because there is barely anything here that is distinctly "Britney". The producers tried their best to make her fit into this Ke$ha/Katy Perry pop world, but they failed to realize Britney doesn't need to follow these trends. Songs like "Hold It Against Me" and "Till The World Ends" are so below Britney's standards and don't really work as singles for me. Where is the "Britney" spark that makes it stand out? Overall I'd say pass on this album and buy "Inside Out" and "I Wanna Go" on iTunes.

**Sorry if this doesn't make sense. After listening to the album over 20 times (yes I listened to the leak), I just pretty much blurted out all my thoughts here and don't feel like going back to re-edit.
  8. Mar 29, 2011
    ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!! This is Britney Spears better than you've ever seen her. Every song is amazing. And mixing britney with more electronic dance/club beats is amazing
  9. Mar 29, 2011
    Hands down Britney's best work since Blackout (which still remains her masterpiece and perfection in album form if ever there was one). Femme Fatale delivers in what it's meant to do: Get listeners to get up and dance and let loose. This is a great, fun record to listen to for various occasions. Driving in your car, getting ready for a nite out, lounging around the house. The list goes on and on. Haters can hate and say what they want, but they are only kidding themselves. Its Godney, **** Expand
  10. Apr 11, 2011
    This album gave my cat cancer. Why would this exist? Who thought it would be a good idea to make this? Seriously why? It's sooooo bad!! I don't have enough caharacters to submit this so yeah, extra sentence.
  11. Mar 29, 2011
    Britney's contribution to this album is minimal. On most of the songs she does not sing at all but rather chants and recites the lyrics. It is interesting that you can actually hear her sing on the songs which were NOT produced by Dr. Luke and his team, one of which is the Darkchild-produced bonus track "Don't Keep Me Waiting." Why that song, as well as "Selfish" (produced by Stargate) did not make the standard edition is beyond me. Nevertheless, the album is a non-stop dance party filled with many potential Britney classics, but the lack of her involvement should not go unnoticed. Should we blame Dr. Luke for making her sound like almost like Ke$ha, or Spears herself for not "feeling it" or her management team for not letting her have her own say? This album is hardly her best but at the end of the day, it is good. Top track: Inside Out. Expand
  12. Apr 15, 2011
    THE LEGENDARY MS. BRITNEY SPEARS PROVES SHE'S STRONGER THAN EVER AND SHE'S THE NEW QUEEN OF POP!!!!!!! FAVORITE TRACKS ARE: HIAM, INSIDE OUT, HOW I ROLL, I WANNA GO, DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL, CRIMINAL AND GASOLINE, i love them all but these are my favs
  13. Mar 29, 2011
    This is Pop Gold. Pop music in its finest forms. Britney Spears may not have got involved much in this album (being the first album, including the "Chaotic" EP and even the compilations and remix album, since "...Baby One More Time" that she shared no writing credits at all, and not even being the producer this time, and that this obviously is going to a very distinct direction that "In The Zone" and "Blackout" took. But, the album "Femme Fatale" combined catchy tunes and experienmental music under a candy-coated package. This is not pure bright like "Circus", but this is a 'bright' album indeed.

My favorites: "Till The World Ends", "Hold It Against Me", "inside Out", "I Wanna Go", "Seal It With A Kiss". Out of the bonus tracks, I like "Don't Keep Me Waiting" (although it doesn't musically fit very well with the rest of the album IMO) the most but "He About To Lose Me" is also great.

BUY IT!!!
  14. Mar 29, 2011
    Yes, Britney Spears. Maybe her voice wasn't her at all. But, dance upbeats is still full of elements that is a club banger. She is still at her style from 1998-present. TOO BAD! This album was so great. Hands up for Britney, the only musician that sticks to her music all the time. Britney was so believable at the album. No doubt! No one can replace her title: "Queen of Pop". It is so powerful and majestic, full of energy. Slip slack hits. GET READY! GAGA!!! Expand
  15. Mar 30, 2011
    If we look at any trending pop star right now, including Ke$ha, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, etc. all of their hit songs are geared towards club plays. It only makes sense that Britney would do the same thing right now. She's still building back up and I think trying to build her fan base with club-goers who wouldn't normally listen to her music. Overall, I think it's a good, dance-filled album. Is it her best and most creative - no. But it's still good to listen to, and I'm sure it will be even better blaring in the clubs. Expand
  16. Apr 7, 2011
    "Femme Fatale" is perfect! It's the new testament of POP music (The old testament is Blackout). Its melodys are amazing. This CD is full of vocal processing. And it is genious because Britney has the best processed voice in the world. Her voice mingles whit the perfect beat and it makes us want to hear more and more.
  17. Jun 30, 2011
    The Queen of Pop is Back and better than ever! This album is her strangest yet the best album she's ever recorded. The production is amazing and the vocals are much better than circus. I wish though she wrote some of the songs but other than that the album is a masterpiece. The highlights of the album include "Till The World Ends", "Trouble Fore Me", "Criminal" and "Selfish" which is included on the deluxe edition. Expand
  18. Jun 29, 2011
    Ewwwww one of the crappiest thing I have ever listened to. What is she doing? This is an auto-tune MESS! No Britney this is not the album you are supposed to make, sorry.
  19. Nov 6, 2011
    Where is the voice of Britney? This is the first question that comes to mind when listening to this album. In a full summary of the work, it seems that Britney forgot her good old pop and electronica trend adhered to today.
  20. Mar 26, 2012
    Not as good as "Circus", "Blackout" and "In The Zone" ( in my opinion ) but however this is a good album, with an interesting dub-step that now the biggest part of pop artists uses! The best songs for me are Criminal, Seal It With A Kiss, Gasoline, Inside Out and Hold It Against Me.
  21. Apr 2, 2011
    Its amazing. I love all the crazy melodies and the beats. Even Big Fat Bass isnt THAT bad. My only problem is the lyrics. 'You're so bright, like a dream' 'Seen you out tonight smiling and talking' 'Steaming like a pot full of vegetables' Also people need to stop talking about her not writing any of it. Rihanna didnt write ANY of loud. Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley didnt write and even Pavarotti lip sync's! Expand
  22. Apr 2, 2011
    This is not Britney's masterpiece (that is Blackout), but this is one of the greatest pop albums in a long time. I mean, at first, as a Britney Spears fan, I though that it was a mess with some good song and some annoying songs. But as I listened to the album 2154212354 times and it's a grower.. I only think "why does they choose 'Till the World Ends' as a single? It's the worst song of the album (including the bonus songs). I mean, I really like the 'oh-oh-oh', but what the hell? The best one is 'Trip to Your Heart', a dreamy euro pop ballad, with full of emotion. 'How I Roll' is something I never though I'd heard from Britney. 'I Wanna Go' and 'Inside Out'' are cool songs, screaming for single, although I think that those songs is like the same pop thing that we are listening these days. There is some good dubstep featured in 'Seal With a Kiss' and at first I though that 'Big Fat Bass' was such a terrible song -but now I can't stop listening to it. 'Criminal' is Britney's best ballad since 'Everytime'. There is no songs written by her and her voice is not that good, but man! There is no voice like hers. Expand
  23. Apr 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The pop princess is back with this wonderful job, one of her best albums, for sure, Femme Fatale doesn't has a 'filler song', each song has your charm, each song is great. Thank you Britney. Expand
  24. Apr 10, 2011
    Finally, the most anticipated Britney album since Blackout has arrived.In Femme Fatale you'll find some masterpiece dance-pop gems along with some mid-tempo tracks.The fact that Spears' vocals may be a little ''over-autotuned'' cannot alter the album's amazing production.With producers like Dr.Luke, Martin, Smith & Stargate , no wonder it became Britney's 6th No. 1 album.''It's an album for the clubs'' said Spears, and i totally get what she meant.The album can be placed next to some classic Britney albums and is, for sure, a great way to thank her billions of fans..

Standout tracks:Till the world ends, Inside Out, Scary
  25. Apr 2, 2011
    I honestly think the bonus tracks do the whole album a favor.. It makes it better... I'm happy with the whole album in general but I feel some of the bonus tracks should swap with one or two maybe even 3 songs.. But I guess even if you swapped the tracks Britney is the Queen of making awesome bonus tracks and pure pop dance genius.. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE her to get back to her in the zone era and get in the studio and get some personal songs from her heart on the album and write some of them too... But this album(despite what few critics say) is AWESOME!! If the album didn't leak 3 weeks early this would sell even more.. In my opinion this album has atleast 8 or 9 single worthy tracks.. I also believed Blackout could have spawned 6 or more singles but her label wanted to focus on a circus"personal life" comeback instead. This is a big improvement from previous album circus and on par with the genius album Blackout.. I Have bought the album and I suggest not as a fan but as someone who loves music and beats to songs to BUY this album.. My personal Faves: Seal it with a kiss, Gasoline, Trouble for me, Up n Down, He's about to lose me, Don't keep me waiting, Till the World ends, I wanna go.. The rest of the album is wonderful.. My least favorite(but still liked) Trip to your heart and selfish.. Big Fat Bass is good if you can get over the length of the song and repetetive lyrics and of course will i am.. I still love the album and give it an A... Expand
  26. Apr 6, 2011
    This album is very dancy and catchy at the same time. Britney Spears may have not contributed (writing at least) to this album and is very autotuned, but the music is very catchy and i enjoy every song! keep it up! (and please dance instead of standing like a robot during live performances!)
  27. Apr 7, 2011
    This album is amazing. The beats are brilliant and Britney is so mature right now, she's playing around with her owns songs and showing us she can do this we never expected. How I Roll is amazing, so as the incredible Inside Out and also the catchy songs like I Wanna Go and Till The World Ends. Congrats, miss Spears, you did a wonderfull job!
  28. May 26, 2011
    The album is nice but nothing more than that. Although meaningless, "Hold It Against Me", "Inside Out", "I Wanna Go", "Gasoline" and "Criminal" are catchy and fun. However, the other tracks are forgettable.
  29. May 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Britney Spears came back with all the energy she has! She officially is the Queen of Hardcore Dance! Femme Fatale delivers in what it's meant to do: Get listeners to get up and dance and get loose! If there were any doubts if Britney could possibly continue her majesty of "Pop Princess"... FORGET IT! She's here to stay....
    Best songs? "I Wanna Go", "He about to loose me", "Big Fat Bass" feat. Will.i.am & "How I Roll"
    Songs that are not so good? None
    Femme Fatale is the best album of Britney's career!
    Congats Britney!
  30. May 24, 2011
    This album is the perfect reflection on modern pop music. Britney provides dance music that is not only traditionally catchy, but at some points taking some risks. Her voice is playfully constructed throughout the album to fit each song, and she does it well. Her voice ranges from playful, to light, to serious, to seductive. Great balance of songs that are cohesive. Good job, Britney.

1. May 24, 2011
    Despite a slew of hit singles and eye-popping sales figures, Britney Spears has never released an album as coherent from start to finish as her latest, Femme Fatale.
  2. The poppers keep on coming right through the bonus tracks of porn-lite funk-lite that's quirky and clever front to back.
  3. Apr 5, 2011
    Femme Fatale equips Britney with material which is strong enough to enable the original all-American Pop Princess to hold her own in such an overcrowded context.