Flesh Tone - Kelis
  • Release Date: Jul 6, 2010
8.4

Review this album

1. Dec 3, 2010
    Far the best Kelis album, It is completely different from her previous albums but in a good way. All tracks compliment each other and flow brilliantly. Kelis is one of those artist that I believe don't get enough recognition and she deserves so much more. Intro, Fireworks (4th of July), Acapella, 22nd Century & Brave are my top tracks. Should be on your iPod!
  2. Aug 12, 2011
    Having not really been a fan of Kelis I didnt really plan on buying this album. After 'Acapella' and '4th Of July' I downloaded it and WOW! One of the greatest albums I've ever bought!!!
  3. Aug 15, 2011
    Upon first hearing this album I had no idea that it was made by the same person who sang 'Milkshake', and I was really surprised upon hearing this. 'Flesh Tone' sounds like an album that has been made by a well established dance artist/DJ. I then quickly sought out her previous works after hearing this and was pleased, but none of them compare to 'Flesh Tone'. With no hesitation, I can say this is the best album of 2010. Expand
  4. Nov 9, 2010
    Quite Good. Although most of the songs on the album don't stand out that much, the way the entire album flows together creates a brilliant piece of art. Highlights include "Acapella", "Scream" and "Brave".
  5. Aug 25, 2011
    Forget the old Kelis, cause this one R-O-C-K-S. I wouldn't say that the old Kelis is bad, or boring (in fact, she's been as great as I've remembered), but I just want to say that 'Flesh Tone' is a techno-electro master-piece. A great album for every occasion. The way 'Flesh Tone' flows is flawless. From the first one (Intro) to the last one (Song for the Baby), you can hear a story of an independent, humble, heartbroken and at the same time, strong woman. Also I've noticed that it has some elements of Daft Punk's 'Discovery' (22nd Century, Home). Which is great and refreshing. I can't pick a favorite, cause the album is so well made, it's really difficult to proclaim a highlight on this effort. Kelis, you've done an amazing job. Can't wait for your next album. Expand
  6. Sep 26, 2011
    Neither hated it or loved it. It certainly deserves far more success than it got. I enjoyed the majority of her new sound, some hard hitting electro beats, but with David Guetta and Benny Benassi what more could you expect ? It does at times feel alittle forces, i-must-fit-this-genre kinda feelings do drag this album down in parts, but all in all, a good album from a very underrated artist.
  7. Nov 15, 2011
    This is the real pop we expected from 2010. It was a big change in Kelis's style, from R&B to totally techno song, but it fitted for her. Great songs like 'Acapella' and 'Brave' makes this the best change of style ever made in the music industry.
  8. Nov 27, 2011
    Even nearing 2012 I still LOVE this album. Kelis takes songs in the hands of Rihanna or Katy Perry would not work. She manages to be sincere, intelligent, fun and at the same time makes you wanna dance. Her stunning raspy vocals penetrate the ear beautifully, the beats pulse through the body and she forces you to put your hands in the air. Highlights for me are Brave, 4th of July and lead single acapella. This woman needs more recognition, her recent collaboration with Calvin Harris was fantastic as well. A perfect 10! Expand
  9. May 23, 2013
    Flesh Tone was released around the same time that Janelle Monae's The Archandroid was released, and both albums could be considered rivals. Where as The Archandroid contains different types of music mixed together in 18 tracks, Flesh Tone has only one direction in nine tracks. The album opens up with the joined songs of "Intro" and "22nd century" where the listener gets a welcome to a wild electronic house party that carries on throughout the whole album. With 6 segues that transmission you to key tracks such as "Fourth of July (Fireworks)" and "Acapella" that dominate the middle of the album with their catchy hooks, the flow of the album is like the perfect surfing wave: Smooth and big. The album ends with Scream, Brave, and Song for the baby, which truly embody the powerful production behind the album.This album clearly represents the futuristic idea behind it. Expand
  10. Aug 11, 2013
    "Flesh Tone" is not Kelis' best album. I feel like Kelis should go back to hip hop or R&B, because she isn't an electronic singer. I expect more on her next album.
  11. Feb 18, 2014
    The segues compliment the tracks very well. Each song tells a different story. The techno, dance beats with Kelis' supernatural voice is just simple amazing. The best dance album I've heard in a extremely long time. I advise Kelis to stick with the Electronic path. It suits her and compliments her voice very well!

1. Buoyed by a favorable divorce settlement, a baby boy and a newly released high-energy dance album, Flesh Tone, the recently single Kelis is ready to bring the boys back to the yard.
  2. Whether or not Flesh Tone remains a stylistic outlier, the disc will always be a bright standout in Kelis' discography.
  3. Kelis's honey-husky voice slips easily into the hypnotic repetitions of dance music vocalisation; she uses the classic language of love songs and the soaring declarations of generalized euphoria particular to house music.