Funeral

9.2

Review this album

1. Jan 11, 2011
    timeless album, been listening to it for five years, people will still be discovering and loving this album as long as there is music in the world. You just don't hear stuff like this come around
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    The debut record from The Arcade Fire is a roller coaster ride of emotion, meaning and depth. Heartily written lyrics combined with beautiful melodies and wondrous vocals makes an awesome blend of power, spirit and feel. Despite the title of the album, death, grief and sadness do not solely make up Funeral and tracks such as Wake Up make you feel like you've got wings. It's raw from theThe debut record from The Arcade Fire is a roller coaster ride of emotion, meaning and depth. Heartily written lyrics combined with beautiful melodies and wondrous vocals makes an awesome blend of power, spirit and feel. Despite the title of the album, death, grief and sadness do not solely make up Funeral and tracks such as Wake Up make you feel like you've got wings. It's raw from the hearts of The Arcade Fire and it would strike a blow close to home in many, many listeners. Best tracks: Neighbourhood 3 (Power Out), Wake Up, Rebellion (Lies) Expand
  3. Jul 22, 2011
    One of my favorite albums of all time. It's best known for doing some seriously heavy lifting in the emotional department, but great melodies and fun songs like "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" and "Rebellion (Lies)" keep it from collapsing under its own weight, which makes songs like "Wake Up" all the more powerful.
  4. Jun 8, 2013
    It's somehow magical and has great lyrics. It's got a little bit overrated. Because, although it features lots of qualities, it's not entirely entertaining. It may get boring sometimes. That's the difference between "Funeral" and '"Neon Bible". The follow-up is more diverse and provocative. It's stronger. More powerful. "The Suburbs", most of the times, doesn't suffer of this boredomIt's somehow magical and has great lyrics. It's got a little bit overrated. Because, although it features lots of qualities, it's not entirely entertaining. It may get boring sometimes. That's the difference between "Funeral" and '"Neon Bible". The follow-up is more diverse and provocative. It's stronger. More powerful. "The Suburbs", most of the times, doesn't suffer of this boredom because it's got an interesting "story" to make us travel. But hey, "Funeral" is a great way album too. Really: great.

Picks: "Rebellion (Lies)"; "Wake Up"; "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)"; "In the Backseat".
  5. Apr 28, 2011
    I first heard the song "Wake up" when it was featured in the trailer for the film "Where the Wild Things Are." So I then researched the song and found out that the geniuses behind it were an indie rock band that go by the name of Arcade Fire. Naturally, I decided to find out more about them. Instantly, everyone was raving about their debut album "Funeral." I decided to buy it, without everI first heard the song "Wake up" when it was featured in the trailer for the film "Where the Wild Things Are." So I then researched the song and found out that the geniuses behind it were an indie rock band that go by the name of Arcade Fire. Naturally, I decided to find out more about them. Instantly, everyone was raving about their debut album "Funeral." I decided to buy it, without ever hearing any other songs than "Wake Up" When the first song came on, I had trouble getting use to their sound and his voice. This band was like none other I have heard before. As the album progressed, their sound became more familar and understandable. Each track brought something new to the table, yet complimented the others both lyrically and compositionally. By the time the last track "In the Backseat" came on, I knew the album was going to have an epic ending and it did not disappoint at all. Maybe the most emotional song on the album, Arcade Fire proved that they could go out with a bang, yet end in a whisper. And after owning this album for over a year, I am still giving it consistant play. I even now own it on vinyl! To sum up my review in a sentence: Arcade Fire have created the greatest masterpiece of ALL TIME. Expand
  6. Nov 16, 2013
    Funeral is probably not my favourite Arcade Fire album, that honour would go to The Suburbs, but it is hauntingly brilliant nonetheless and a great introduction to one of the best bands around.
  7. Jul 4, 2011
    it was good. this album isn't a personal favorite of mine. but i love their 2 other albums better. but this album is still very good. i liked it. the end of the album gives you their best songs.
  8. Nov 5, 2013
    Arcade Fire's seminal work "Funeral" represented brutal honesty in a year flooded with pure lies and war. The powerful emotions surrounding death, sickness, and, ultimately, acceptance are the source of the album's potency. Invoking images of neighborhoods, family strife, and isolation tracks like Tunnels play out like an escapist's deepest fantasies. On the other hand, elements of naiveArcade Fire's seminal work "Funeral" represented brutal honesty in a year flooded with pure lies and war. The powerful emotions surrounding death, sickness, and, ultimately, acceptance are the source of the album's potency. Invoking images of neighborhoods, family strife, and isolation tracks like Tunnels play out like an escapist's deepest fantasies. On the other hand, elements of naive childhood wonder fill much of album like in Rebellion.

9. May 28, 2011
    I was fortunate enough to have been in high school when this came out, that age where I thought everyone older than 30 was bad and every stupid decision I made was right. "Funeral" played right into my hands with regard to all the teenage rebel elements: running away from home (Tunnels, Laika),distrust of my parents (Wake Up, Rebellion (Lies)), anarchy (Power Out, Haiti), grief (In theI was fortunate enough to have been in high school when this came out, that age where I thought everyone older than 30 was bad and every stupid decision I made was right. "Funeral" played right into my hands with regard to all the teenage rebel elements: running away from home (Tunnels, Laika),distrust of my parents (Wake Up, Rebellion (Lies)), anarchy (Power Out, Haiti), grief (In the Backseat), etc. But in addition to the message itself is the music. The glorious, unfathomably brilliant music that still makes my jaw drop seven years later. Every single moment on "Funeral" hovers in the Twilight Zone between hopelessness and euphoria. The way Win and Regine sing, and the band's ridiculous talent, create that blurred line. And as much as I like "Neon Bible" and "The Suburbs," I still long for the time when Arcade Fire would drain me emotionally. Expand
  10. Aug 6, 2011
    This isn't a perfect album, but it's damn good. If I'm not gonna give it a ten, it's only because I've never liked Rebellion. Still though, this album has so much passion, so much good music. If I was a more emotional person I'm sure this would be among the albums that make me cry. Alas, I'm a wolf, but even a beast can appreciate the orchestration, the composition, the use of dynamics,This isn't a perfect album, but it's damn good. If I'm not gonna give it a ten, it's only because I've never liked Rebellion. Still though, this album has so much passion, so much good music. If I was a more emotional person I'm sure this would be among the albums that make me cry. Alas, I'm a wolf, but even a beast can appreciate the orchestration, the composition, the use of dynamics, the lyrics. I love this album and I'm gonna give it a 10 anyway even though I'd rather give it a 9.5. Expand
  11. Oct 27, 2011
    One of the best albums of the 2000s. There are no bad songs on this album. Possibly one of the best debut albums released. Really not much to say, just too good.
  12. Oct 19, 2011
    This has to be classed as one of the greatest albums of all time. For a debut album, it has unbelievable scope and depth. While it has the freshness and urgency of a debut, the different layers of instruments going on, the production and general song writing are of a band who sound like they are completely comfortable with each other. Love this album and it's one that everyone shouldThis has to be classed as one of the greatest albums of all time. For a debut album, it has unbelievable scope and depth. While it has the freshness and urgency of a debut, the different layers of instruments going on, the production and general song writing are of a band who sound like they are completely comfortable with each other. Love this album and it's one that everyone should listen to at some point in their lives. Expand
  13. Nov 10, 2011
    Phenomenal album: in the five months I've had it, I've barely been able to find a single flaw: each song is unique and beautifully crafted, all with fantastic instrumentation and moving, relatable lyrics. It's a truly life-changing set of ten tracks; I'd recommend it to anyone with working ears.
  14. Nov 22, 2011
    this album is stunning. by inventing a new indie genre, arcade fire produced one of the best albums of all time, and each song is a classic. the thematics of hostility, friendship and family are amazing executed throughout this piece of music. this is a crucial listen for any fan of indie music and those would search for realistic meaning in songs.
  15. Nov 29, 2011
    While the album is nearly perfectly. The vocal quality does suffer on a few tracks and makes the lyrics of the song nearly non-understandable. However the album is just so good that you can over look this, Its simply a master piece.
  16. Dec 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is my favorite album of the last decade, without any doubt! A true masterpiece! There isn´t much music out there that makes you wanna cry while listening. Expand
  17. Jan 24, 2012
    I love this album and its definently one of the greatest of all time imo. I would give it a 10 but the quality of the vocals was terrible on some tracks. Its still a great album though and a must listen to.
  18. Mar 19, 2012
    This album is amazing. Every time I listen, I get something new from it. The lyrics, the music, the vocals all go together perfectly to form something truly beautiful.
  19. Jun 10, 2012
    Terrific album!!! When I first listen to this (I was 11 years old), I've never listen to something like this. Indie rock first knock on my door: and it was great!!! Beautiful songs, funny but amazing lyrics (I always sing when I listen to the songs) . And who said Win Butler is not a great singer? He fits perfectly in the songs. Who you were expecting to sing? Franky? Tony? C'mon!!
  20. Jul 9, 2012
    I would give any of Arcade Fire's albums 10's in a heartbeat. Yes, some people say they aren't the best singers but that doesn't matter. Being a good singer isn't always what matters. They just put so much heart into their songs and every song is distinct and catchy. Win's (yes the main singer's name is Win) voice is powerful and the melodies are so intricate.
  21. Jan 21, 2013
    Simply a fantastic album. It is lyrically and musically deep. It also sports a wide variety of sounds. That's all that has to be said. I would highly recommend this album.
  22. Feb 15, 2014
    Arcade Fire didn’t redefine indie music with their 2004 debut Funeral, but immediately rose up to be one of the most talented acts in the scene due to this multifaceted debut improving with every listen. The seven-member-band from Canada masterfully compounds congenial riffs, interesting sound experiments, poetic verses, and sing-along choruses in the album’s ten tracks and not once failsArcade Fire didn’t redefine indie music with their 2004 debut Funeral, but immediately rose up to be one of the most talented acts in the scene due to this multifaceted debut improving with every listen. The seven-member-band from Canada masterfully compounds congenial riffs, interesting sound experiments, poetic verses, and sing-along choruses in the album’s ten tracks and not once fails to make a song stick in your head. It’s mostly dark subjects and sad stories the lyrics deal with, yet they still achieve to induce an uplifting sentiment in the listener – most notably in “Crown of Love”, a song about unrequited love that raises hopes by shifting into an upbeat finale I’d love to hop around to on one of Arcade Fire’s concerts. This is, amongst other things, playing a part in Funeral’s uniqueness and makes it one of the greatest releases of the 21st century, although I actually wouldn’t name any single track of the album on such a list. It is the collective product that is absolutely outstanding, combining dulcet campfire tunes, anthems, symphonies, and raw social criticism into a phenomenal whole. Expand
  23. Aug 1, 2012
    I still listen to this at least once a week. Top to bottom, it really is damn close to a perfect album. Neighborhood #2 (Laïka) has always been my favorite track.
  24. Sep 27, 2012
    This is probably one of the best albums of the last decade. Arcade Fire is definitely my favorite band, and trust me, you won't regret listening to their incredible debut, which is one of the best I've ever listened to. It is truly the modern day Sgt. Peppers, at least in my opinion.
  25. Oct 30, 2012
    Arcade Fire's debut album is a splendid album. There are really not much bands that fuses elements of rock, pop and classical/baroque music but they did a splendid job nonetheless. Its somber and melodic songs are pleasing to the ears. The lyrics about youth, death, and society join the moody tones so well. Win and Regine may not be much of a singer but they and their band stillArcade Fire's debut album is a splendid album. There are really not much bands that fuses elements of rock, pop and classical/baroque music but they did a splendid job nonetheless. Its somber and melodic songs are pleasing to the ears. The lyrics about youth, death, and society join the moody tones so well. Win and Regine may not be much of a singer but they and their band still released this beautiful album. Although, I find some of the songs being too dramatic, it is not enough to stop me from giving this album a 10/10. Expand
  26. Jan 22, 2015
    The very best album I have ever listened to. Period. The emotions, the heart of this music, it's like nothing I've ever listened to. If you don't own it already, you better buy it now. Like, now, right right now. Like, right this very second.
  27. Dec 25, 2012
    By far (and hands down) the greatest Indie Rock album currently out there. Such diversity is poured into a fine, magnificent masterpiece like this to show the world that you truly don't have to be born to write and sing music, but learn along the way to pick up these great strenghs in the music world.
  28. Jan 17, 2013
    Even in its darkest moments, Funeral exudes an empowering positivity to sharedsorrows.com. Slow-burning ballad "Crown of Love" is an expression of lovesick guilt that perpetually crescendos until the track unexpectedly explodes into a dance section, still soaked in the melodrama of weeping strings; the song's psychological despair gives way to a purely physical catharsis. The anthemicEven in its darkest moments, Funeral exudes an empowering positivity to sharedsorrows.com. Slow-burning ballad "Crown of Love" is an expression of lovesick guilt that perpetually crescendos until the track unexpectedly explodes into a dance section, still soaked in the melodrama of weeping strings; the song's psychological despair gives way to a purely physical catharsis. The anthemic momentum of "Rebellion (Lies)" counterbalances Butler's plaintive appeal for survival at death's door, and there is liberation in his admittance of life's inevitable transience. "In the Backseat" explores a common phenomenon-- a love of backseat window-gazing, inextricably linked to an intense fear of driving-- that ultimately suggests a conclusive optimism through ongoing self-examination. "I've been learning to drive my whole life," Chassagne sings, as the album's acoustic majesty finally recedes and relinquishes. Expand
  29. Apr 13, 2013
    Although this genre its not my cup of tea; i must admit IT IS a masterpiece, and im sure if i liked more this type of music; id be my favorite album ever; 10 songs, 10 perfect melodies.
  30. Jun 25, 2013
    Quite possibly the best album of the decade. The themes and lyrics are unparalleled and equate to one of the most affecting, and life-affirming debut records of all time. 9.8
  31. Aug 16, 2013
    A very solid album that unfortunately is very overcelebrated. It has a lot of lovely moments but it just pales in comparison to other similar albums (The Glow Pt 2, ITAOTS)
  32. Sep 5, 2013
    By far the best album of 2004 and arguably one of the best albums ever record. From the raw emotion of a young Win Butler to the talent of many multi-instrumental artists, this album is flawless. The perfect coming of age album.
  33. Nov 14, 2013
    A modern masterpiece and one of the crowning achievements of indie rock and baroque pop. "Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)" is a heartbreaking tale of separation played to a soundtrack of sensitive piano and chiming guitars. "Power Out" is an invigorating tale, "Wake Up" is a rousing stadium anthem on childhood, "Haiti" blends in Regine's foreign heritage with the English language perfectly, andA modern masterpiece and one of the crowning achievements of indie rock and baroque pop. "Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)" is a heartbreaking tale of separation played to a soundtrack of sensitive piano and chiming guitars. "Power Out" is an invigorating tale, "Wake Up" is a rousing stadium anthem on childhood, "Haiti" blends in Regine's foreign heritage with the English language perfectly, and "Rebellion (Lies)" is probably one of the singles of the decade. A must-own. Expand
  34. Nov 1, 2013
    Arcade Fire. This album. Where does a reviewer begin when trying to review such an amazing album. Funeral. This album is perfection. Perfection is Micheal Phelps, the evolutionary process of humans, Micheal Jackson, Tiger Woods, the honey crisp apple. The funeral is perfection. From start to finish it the songs play out like a book with 10 chapters. The raw unrefined sound is present,Arcade Fire. This album. Where does a reviewer begin when trying to review such an amazing album. Funeral. This album is perfection. Perfection is Micheal Phelps, the evolutionary process of humans, Micheal Jackson, Tiger Woods, the honey crisp apple. The funeral is perfection. From start to finish it the songs play out like a book with 10 chapters. The raw unrefined sound is present, accompanied by the raw emotion. This album is intense. The opening track, tunnels, is full of despair. Every track on this record has this feeling, this sense of contradiction, this bittersweet, lost but found, alone but at home, nostalgic feeling. A feeling felt at a funeral. I really want to empathize the nostalgic feeling because somehow this whole album has made me nostalgic. I can't explain this nostalgia maybe it's for those suburbs days, maybe its for anything I've felt. I am lost for words. Hidden in every track is this intense inner beauty which really sets it apart from all of Arcade Fire's other albums. In each song, when you dig and find those contradictions, as you listen you realize that each song is beautiful, and you find the album incredibly uplifting. My last point is that if you are still unconvinced about this album listen to Crown of Love and Wake Up. Those two songs will make you a fan no matter what. Expand
  35. Jul 23, 2014
    A truly masterpiece that shows beauty, style, passion and suffering better than any single other indie piece of work. A tremendously fantastic journey I would never like to get off of.
  36. May 9, 2014
    As beautiful as this album is it thrives on its recurrent themes of a lost souls as it matches its title. It's stand out tracks are hard to identify Neighborhood #3 (Power Out), Rebellion, and Wake Up are anthems to indie tracks for days to remember. Funeral embarks on this wonderful story filled with sounds and silence.
  37. May 1, 2014
    Arcade Fire has delivered us a perfect, relaxing masterpiece, that is unlike anything you will ever experience, with unforgettable, emotionally touching songs.
  38. Apr 9, 2014
    Damn! What a great album. This really made a breakout in the music scene. After ''Funeral'' had come out, nothing was the same. All the album is built in order to reach ''Rebellion (lies)'', the masterpiece, THE song. Goosebumps. These are Arcade Fire. Great great album.
  39. Mar 11, 2015
    Lush, unique, beautiful, and has immediate replay value. One of the best albums of the 2000's, hands down. An absolute must-have for those who enjoy indie rock/alternative. It's a journey that can't be taken away.
  40. Jul 22, 2015
    This is my favorite album ever. After probably over hundreds of listens, I still don't get tired of it. Everything is perfectly placed. It amazes me that a group of humans actually made something so perfect. It's so emotional and moving, I can't help but have goosebumps every time I listen to it. Neighborhoods #1 sparkling pianos and coda are so nostalgic, it's unreal. Wake Up is so goddamThis is my favorite album ever. After probably over hundreds of listens, I still don't get tired of it. Everything is perfectly placed. It amazes me that a group of humans actually made something so perfect. It's so emotional and moving, I can't help but have goosebumps every time I listen to it. Neighborhoods #1 sparkling pianos and coda are so nostalgic, it's unreal. Wake Up is so goddam true and epic. Nothing more anthemic than the chorus in that one. Win Butler's screams on Neighborhoods #3 are just awesome and so poignant. Regine's howls to it out In the Backseat is the most emotional and bone-tingling thing in all of music. I can't even begin to describe the emotion off of that. The guitar race at the end Une Sans Lumiere is one of the most perfectly placed moments. Rebellion (Lies) is so refreshing and true.This album has ruined listening to other albums for me. I just keep comparing them to Funeral and nothing even comes close and I believe nothing ever will. Every song is so perfect and they balance each other out so well. This album shines with a golden beauty. Expand
  41. Jan 9, 2015
    Arcade Fire siempre me pareció un grupo un tanto interesante, y cuando me di el tiempo de oír Funeral, ahí es cuando me di cuenta del porqué. En este álbum oirás canciones con trasfondos no muy comunes, tanto lírica como de forma melódica, destacando canciones como Haiti, Crown of Love, Rebellion (Lies).
  42. Aug 16, 2015
    Putting aside modern cliches in favor of inventing them, Arcade Fire join contemporaries such as the Strokes in defining the future of modern music. 9.5/10
  43. Sep 4, 2016
    Love at first sight. I usually judge books by their title and albums by their cover. Since I first look at this I knew it would be great. And so it is and now I keep listening at it. I'm really involved in Crown of love but I honestly say that every single track is very enjoyable althought melancholic.
  44. Mar 22, 2017
    A beautifully melancholic album. Just as it brings you down, it picks you back up again. Plenty of variety and a lot of memorable moments; easily one of the best albums in its genre.
  45. May 1, 2017
    I honestly don't undertand what people are so fond of about this album. I tried to like it, gave it many chances but all I keep seeing is a below-average art rock album with overdone tracks.

Although there are a few decent songs, most of them left me wishing if they could just end. Especially the vocals I couldn't stand at all.

1. If I were to have just heard the first half of the disc, I probably would have proclaimed it the best of the year as well.
  2. So long as we're unable or unwilling to fully recognize the healing aspect of embracing honest emotion in popular music, we will always approach the sincerity of an album like Funeral from a clinical distance. Still, that it's so easy to embrace this album's operatic proclamation of love and redemption speaks to the scope of The Arcade Fire's vision.
  3. Marred by indie-rock clichés and occasional over-effort, it remains frustrating.