8.9

Review this album

1. May 10, 2015
    This is arguably The Chemical Brothers' best work since their 1999 classic 'Surrender'. It's stock full of the Brothers' signature mix of playful psychedelia, dreamy hooks and thumping beats - while still retaining their experimental approach to EDM that defined their early works. The 11-minute rave-track 'Escape Velocity' is the only track that, at least for me, feels somewhat uninspiredThis is arguably The Chemical Brothers' best work since their 1999 classic 'Surrender'. It's stock full of the Brothers' signature mix of playful psychedelia, dreamy hooks and thumping beats - while still retaining their experimental approach to EDM that defined their early works. The 11-minute rave-track 'Escape Velocity' is the only track that, at least for me, feels somewhat uninspired (that's an unpopular opinion though, so take that with a grain of salt!). It will be interesting to see what the future brings for this amazing duo; although I have to admit that judging from their two recent singles 'GO' and 'Sometimes I Feel So Deserted' from their upcoming album, I'm not too pumped for their new material. Oh well, maybe next time! Expand

1. They may have another breakthrough and forward leap again, but even if they don't, the comfort zone they've found still sounds pretty damn good. [Summer 2010, p.89]
  2. Further may lack a stonecold standout, but fans of their classic work could do worse than reconnect with them here.
  3. On Further, The Chemical Brothers show no signs of fatigue, and the absence of any star names matters not a jot. It's better to continuously explode than fade away, or something.