• Record Label: Merge
8.7

Review this album

1. j30
    Aug 15, 2011
    Perfect pop rock album. The day I bought this album I listened to this four times in a row. I was mesmerized by the simplistic, intoxicating songs from beginning ("Don't Make Me a Target") to end ("Black Like Me").
  2. ColinB
    Jul 9, 2007
    consistency through and through, each song has something to offer. The album is just plain fun...singable, danceable, and downright enjoyable.
  3. NeilG.
    Sep 6, 2007
    Look in the dictionary and under "criminally ignored" you'll find Spoon's name.This band has a sound entirely of it's own and how many bands can you say that of ? This is like minimalist techno in a rock/pop guise.Not much seems to be happening but it's entirely riveting and wholly inventive. This is the next installment in a career woefully under-appreciated by a band Look in the dictionary and under "criminally ignored" you'll find Spoon's name.This band has a sound entirely of it's own and how many bands can you say that of ? This is like minimalist techno in a rock/pop guise.Not much seems to be happening but it's entirely riveting and wholly inventive. This is the next installment in a career woefully under-appreciated by a band who really should be sipping champagne cocktails by the swimming pools of their luxury condos whilst the hired help polish their Maseratis. You might have guessed I think they're pretty damn good !!!!!! Expand
  4. OrvilleR
    Jul 10, 2007
    Everything I hoped Gimme Fiction would be. Brief, taut, and deceptively simple songs that reveal multiple layers of complexity upon repeated listens. I tried with Gimme Fiction, I really did, but from the trying-too-hard-to-be-spontaneous guitar scrawl of the opener to the absolute yawn of the repetitive second half, it only disappointed me. "I Turn My Camera On" would have made a great 2 Everything I hoped Gimme Fiction would be. Brief, taut, and deceptively simple songs that reveal multiple layers of complexity upon repeated listens. I tried with Gimme Fiction, I really did, but from the trying-too-hard-to-be-spontaneous guitar scrawl of the opener to the absolute yawn of the repetitive second half, it only disappointed me. "I Turn My Camera On" would have made a great 2 minute ditty on Kill The Moonlight, but just like every idea on Fiction, it was stretched out too long. I dunno, but for me, Spoon is all about short songs that are so insanely catchy that you have to put them on repeat (See "Jealousy", "Car Radio", just about any song on Moonlight...) and Fiction, well, wasn't that way for me. That said, Ga^5 certainly works that way for me, and for that, I think it's wonderful. There's melodies to these songs, there's brevity even when you wish a song would continue on forever, and there's good variation. It pains me to say it, but I just didn't like Fiction - but Ga^5 makes up for it in just about every way. Call it a 'step backwards' but I'd say it's a step back to what made Spoon so wonderful to begin with. Expand
  5. ColinM.
    Jul 14, 2007
    They're streaming it off their label's website! I love when bands do that. The album rocks. Favorites so far: Don't make me a target, The Underdog, You Got You Cherry Bomb.
  6. Joe
    Jul 10, 2007
    fantastic album. listen to Eddie's Ragga on windows media player at a speed of .8 of the original tempo and the song reveals itself as one of the best head bobbers i have ever heard.
  7. DouglasD
    Aug 1, 2007
    Finally Spoon got me. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is a collection of gems with experimental saucer.
  8. Cables
    Aug 1, 2007
    I've always had trouble with spoon albums. I found them to be wildly uneven and front heavy. This, on the other hand, is adventurous without sacrificing its hooks. Album of the year thus far.
  9. ChrisG.
    Jul 11, 2007
    Brilliant. One of Spoon's best. Britt Daniel's voice thrills and the excitement and economy of their music are too good for words.
  10. MikeyB
    Jul 11, 2007
    Just what I'd expect of Spoon. Not one dud song among the whole lot. Even "lingers" stuck around 'til I finally got it (headphones and time nailed it). How to follow "Gimme Fiction"? Think up a goofy title, but make the album insane regardless.
  11. ChrisK
    Jul 10, 2007
    A close second to 'Girls Can Tell' as Spoon's best.
  12. Millertron
    Jul 13, 2007
    This is the album Wilco should have made this year.....but didnt
  13. AydenB.
    Jul 13, 2007
    Wicked, makes your reliase just how c%ap the rest of the stuff is we've been putting up with
  14. EvanH.
    Jul 16, 2007
    Spoon produces its 5th great album. One of the best albums of the year so far.
  15. DrewC
    Jul 20, 2007
    Let's face it, all spoon is fantastic. this album is my close to being my fave. very accessible and very good :) pick it up
  16. martym
    Jul 20, 2007
    This album is great. Spoon is easily one of the best, most consistent bands of the last 20 years. PC - i think Marc meant that New York magazine having refered to the album as Flawless, which it is, and then metacritic classifying their review as an 80 doesn't make sense, which it doesn't. By the way you're a prick
  17. SeanP.
    Jul 20, 2007
    Wow. I was sure nothing would be able to match such 2007 wonders as the new Arcade Fire, the new LCD Soundsystem, and the Battles debut. But I forgot to take Spoon into account. What a band.
  18. LuisC
    Jul 5, 2007
    This is massive improvement over Gimme Fiction. There is no such thing as a bad song on this album.
  19. ChristianP.
    Jul 9, 2007
    Wow! I don't know if they will ever top Kill The Moonlight, but this album is another consistent collection of catchy, soulful, and memorable songs. It seems a little more scattered than Gimmie Fiction, but gets better with every listen. One of the country's most exciting and reliable bands.
  20. PaulL
    Aug 12, 2007
    When I first listened to this, I was like eh. On the third listen, the melodies and hooks started creeping up on me. It's definitely a grower. It has been in my rotation for a couple of weeks now and I'm still hooked.
  21. JakeK
    Aug 2, 2007
    This album is definitely one of the best albums so far this year. It really grows on you. Just listen to "Rhthm and Soul". Now, this is what i call music.
  22. SethW
    Aug 3, 2007
    Wow...a great album just like their last four. All mashed up wiht highlights and put together, it makes one hell of a mix CD. Along with My Morning Jacket, Ryan Adams and Wilco, this band consistantly makes me have faith in the ability for rock and roll to continue to surprise and inspire more than any other band out there.
  23. JeffP.
    Sep 20, 2007
    This album has pushed "Neon Bible" out of my CD player. Daniels influences span the top ten bands of all time. Every song takes on a hookiness usually found on only one or two cuts per album. I'm hearing a lot of The Clash, The Beatles, Prince, Billy Joel. Not to happy about the latter, but he does put a bullet in Billy's head at the end of that song, so it kinda works. I'm This album has pushed "Neon Bible" out of my CD player. Daniels influences span the top ten bands of all time. Every song takes on a hookiness usually found on only one or two cuts per album. I'm hearing a lot of The Clash, The Beatles, Prince, Billy Joel. Not to happy about the latter, but he does put a bullet in Billy's head at the end of that song, so it kinda works. I'm hoping everyone looks inside the CD case as I hear the album being called too short. There is a second disc of cuts left off the disc. "Mean Mad Margarithe" sounds like John Lennon on crack. Pretty cool stuff. Hard to like on the first listening though. Have fun. Expand
  24. Max
    Apr 9, 2008
    It's rare I get this obsessed about an album. The detail and production is astounding.
  25. VinnyG
    Jan 20, 2010
    This album is gold, don't listen to any haters. They are just Spoon fans who don't like the fact that they are finding commercial success.
  26. KG
    Jul 10, 2007
    Gimme Fiction Pt. 2 ( the album cover's even on the back!)
  27. ElliottM
    Jul 11, 2007
    Quite possibly their best yet. "Cherrybomb" and "Finer Feelings" are straight-up pop perfection.
  28. AndyW.
    Jul 11, 2007
    I've always had a thing for Spoon, but it wasn't clear to me how much I loved them, until I heard Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. this time around Spoon's music has become darker but at the same time more infectious than their predecessors. They start off with a bang on "Don't Make Me A Target", and bring the back old psychedelic effects that made up Paper Tiger on "The Ghost Of You I've always had a thing for Spoon, but it wasn't clear to me how much I loved them, until I heard Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. this time around Spoon's music has become darker but at the same time more infectious than their predecessors. They start off with a bang on "Don't Make Me A Target", and bring the back old psychedelic effects that made up Paper Tiger on "The Ghost Of You Lingers", possibly the album's best track. Even Britt Daniel's lyrics are better than the previous albums. All I can say is that these guys are on a roll, and this probably their best effort since Kill the Moonlight. Expand
  29. DWit
    Jul 10, 2007
    i would like to give this an 8.5. Its plain to see that spoon has carved out is own distinctive sound and this album does not disappoint. It still cant live up to Kill the Moonlight or A Series of Sneaks
  30. EricC.
    Jul 14, 2007
    It seems that everything Spoon does is gold. The Arcade Fire got more emotional, Modest Mouse got more mainstreem, and some bands just seem to be getting flat out worse (Bloc Party, Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah, etc. They might just be in a sophomore slump, but still). But Spoon always sticks to their style, and they remain one of the best rock and roll bands of our generation (for the It seems that everything Spoon does is gold. The Arcade Fire got more emotional, Modest Mouse got more mainstreem, and some bands just seem to be getting flat out worse (Bloc Party, Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah, etc. They might just be in a sophomore slump, but still). But Spoon always sticks to their style, and they remain one of the best rock and roll bands of our generation (for the record, I worship the Arcade Fire, emotional is a good thing). You put this record on, and you're amazed that these are people who aren't trying to be epic or experimental, just play. They still use a funky beat accented by piano, and the vocals are so pleasing that no matter how average or boring the lyrics are, you're still listening ecstatically. If I have any gripe, it's that no song jumps out at me as a classic. Kill the Moonlight may always be considered their best, since it had multiple songs worth returning for. But this one is nearly perfect too. Expand

1. Each and every hand clap and piano chord on their foot-stomping, flawless new album, now streaming on their label's Website, is obsessively placed.
  2. It's not the best album of Spoon's career, but it's far from a misstep.
  3. "Ga Ga" stand out as a fun, if somewhat peculiar, addition to the Spoon catalog.