• Band Name: Dido
  • Release Date: Mar 26, 2013
7.7

Review this album

1. Jul 8, 2013
    Maybe people are giving low notes to this album because they can't accept that Dido has the right to venture into different music styles and make her perfect and unique songs. She's doin' it since "Stoned" and "Sand In My Shoes", just pedants are trying to criticize her for make what she wants to do. Girl Who Got Away is one of the most beautiful albuns in this year and nothing can change it.
  2. May 25, 2013
    Awesome album, she's one of my favorite singers although, i think she has to get out of her comfort zone, she has a lovely voice the only thing missing is more musical innovation and experimentation.
  3. Dec 6, 2013
    Dido has a unique style that often find its place in soft melodies; the formula
    Changed and turned out into some electronic-folk stuff.
    There's nothing more than Dido doing her best when a "don't forget me" comes out of her mouth
    Among the best songs are the Kendrick Lamar duet "let us move on" "love to blame" and the gorgeous and powerful closing song "day before we went to war"
  4. Mar 27, 2013
    It is a nice, pleasant, entertaining record that lacks many of the textures of her previous work. The opener, No Freedom, is strong, acoustic Dido which slightly echoes Bob Marley’s No Woman, No Cry. It is a simple but appealing guitar-based tune on which Dido’s vocals amazingly shine. This acoustic formula may have been more suitable for the title track as the synthesizer making the sound of breaking news at the beginning may take one’s attention away. Lyrics at first seem to lack strength, still when Dido climaxes and says: “I know what it’s like to be passed over...” mixed with those great “whip beats” and a very beautiful string arrangement, one could think: “Wow, this girl really wants to get away!” On Let Us Move On, one can hear the piano setting the scene for an almost broken heart. The melancholy and regret evoked by Dido’s voice over good beats, dark-sounding piano and electronic ornaments creates a great track. While Dido sounds fantastic on the three previous tracks, she sounds dull on Blackbird. Even when the lyrics are poetically beautiful, the voice is exaggeratedly distorted. In her previous work, Brion's cupboard echoed her voice perfectly. However, her vocals on Blackbird sound as if the echo button had gone crazy. Something similar happens when listening to Loveless Hearts. This and the repeated question “Why do I bring you love when all you give me back is pain?...” make one want to go right to the next song. So if Blackbird makes one suffer, relief is found in End of Night. It is a fresh, danceable track which gives the Dido listener 4 minutes of fun. Finally on Sitting on the Roof of the World, Dido amazingly shines again just like she did on No Freedom. A simple, guitar-based, enjoyable, magic song. The first 6 tracks, excluding Blackbird, and the wonderful Day Before We Went to War where Dido does justice to her visual lyric writing proves that she has something appealing to offer while the rest is just pleasant tunes which will probably go with the flow and on which a more acoustic Dido may have done it better. Expand
  5. May 3, 2013
    Not a bad album at all, it's quite above what I would expect from Dido. The album consists of soft lounge with some eletronic beats and catchy vocal melodies. Quite in the same mood from new Lana Del Ray and Cat Power.
  6. Apr 17, 2014
    After four years long break Dido is back. Album is called Girl Who Got Away. You might call it a come-back album, but most of it was recorded almost two years ago. It is not amazing, nor life-changing album, but it is very good. Interesting one. I would put it behind her debut, but above her last two albums.

At one moments it is melancholic and nostalgic and then it becomes optimistic.
    but Dido stayed true to herself, to her unique voice and echoing sound. Her music to me always has been like chiaroscuro - like singing light from the dark. And always will be. Songs that really stand out from first time you heard 'em are Let Us Move On with rapping provided by Kendrick Lamar, Blackbird and Simon&Garfunkel-esque Sitting On The Roof Of The World. No Freedom is grandiose but to me it would be perfect if it could be somewhere in between crazy Benny Benassi remix and its original version. Songs that will like every gentle and romantic soul are Loveless Hearts and Happy New Year. Free birds will adore Girl Who Got Away, Love to Blame and Go Dreaming. All those who broke-up maybe will find their hymns in End of Night and Blackbird. Album ends with quiet and evocative Day Before We Went to War. If you love Dido, you will LOVE the whole album. If you don't you will love The Blackbird. Expand
  7. Mar 30, 2013
    I don't know a lot of artists who sounds the same either at the studio and the stage, but I'm sure that Dido is one of them. The new album is ears-pleasing as usual, but suffers from heterogeneity of songs. Some of them sounds great, others you'd rather to fast forward. Dido keeps singing with the same passion as in her earlier releases, she's dedicating herself to every word she sings, but sometimes it seems that the lyrics downgrading her vocal skills. Still, this album is well produced and nice to have in your own discography for late starless nights (5 Songs Per Artist Blog) Collapse
  8. Apr 13, 2013
    Dido defines the term "middle of the road." To her credit, she has never given in to pressure to follow current music trends for commercial success and has insisted on releasing albums when she feels ready, but these days, she's really paying for insistence to do things her way. No Angel and Life For Rent gave her amazing sales, although singles sales and positions weren't so hot. But the public can take one big break and one duplicate of the last album. But Dido has kept the same musical style for four albums in a row and has taken big breaks between all four of those albums. The public haven't got time for that. They moved on and her third album barely hit 1 million copies, a stark contrast to her record breaking previous efforts. Unsurprisingly, her latest release has suffered the same fate. Any experimentation she has ever done is only in one or two tracks and anything a bit out there has been relegated to the deluxe edition bonus tracks. Lead single, Let Us Move On really benefited from a guest rap from Kendrick Lamar, bonus track All I See benefited from a guest rap from Pete Miser and the club remix of Everything To Lose turns it into something amazing. Aside from these little acts of experimentation, final track, Day Before We Went To War is a beautiful ballad and the only classic Dido track that wasn't boring. Dido's lack of challenging herself and her years of effort to make an album that sounds the same as the last one makes me wonder how passionate she is about music. She'd better buck up her ideas if she still wants a career after this because if this is the best work that she can produce after a 4 year labour, she'll be forgotten about real soon. Expand

1. Apr 10, 2013
    Surprises include End Of Night, nicely brutish electro-pop where Dido's automaton vocal really works; funked-up raga/calypso Love To Blame; and Sitting On The Roof Of The World.... Otherwise, Musak coming soon to a changing room near you. [May 2013, p.88]
    [Dido] carries it with her creamy alto and her sweetly ethereal allure. [5 Apr 2013, p.67]
  3. Mar 25, 2013
    The electronics are there, however, and they lift the album’s better songs out of the sad-sack zone.