8.9

Review this album

1. Jul 14, 2013
    From the soft, lovely tone of "When The Stars Go Blue" to the sheer rock-out-loud attitude spilling out of the tune "Tina Toledo's Street Walkin' Blues", this album presents itself as a showcase of some of the absolute best of what Ryan Adams has to offer from his ever-expanding musical collection. Even though I did not quite get the appeal of "Sylvia Plath", I am confident in saying thatFrom the soft, lovely tone of "When The Stars Go Blue" to the sheer rock-out-loud attitude spilling out of the tune "Tina Toledo's Street Walkin' Blues", this album presents itself as a showcase of some of the absolute best of what Ryan Adams has to offer from his ever-expanding musical collection. Even though I did not quite get the appeal of "Sylvia Plath", I am confident in saying that this album is a shining example of Mr. Adams' incredible capacity to write many songs that are above average; a quality that is much more rare than anyone really ever takes time to appreciate. That is why this is in my top five of studio albums ever produced. Expand
  2. Apr 25, 2012
    Probably Ryan Adam's most commercially successful record and for me it's his best. It's a long record at 16 tracks but there is so much quality to be found. From the classic opener "New York, New York" to the soft closer "Goodnight Hollywood Blvd", its a superb record lyrically and musically. Highly recommended and a great place to start if your looking to get into this artist.
  3. Nov 16, 2011
    After convincing my local CD dealer (yes, you, Play it Again Invercargill) it was not Bryan I was after, I took a punt on a friends recommendation and tried Gold. It was a little like getting into the Beatles at Sgt Peppers (which I did) - only to discover Heartbreaker (Revolver), and then try to keep up with his prolific outpourings. A real go to album. Go to it.

1. "Gold" proves that Ryan Adams is capable of blending a myriad of styles and influences.
  2. The electric mood of Adams' sophomore disc definitely reflects his good fortunes and knack for solid songcraft.
  3. Gold comes off as clean, shiny, and over-the-top as Elliott Smith's XO, replete with strings, horns, and female backup singers. I double-checked the credits. Jon Brion wasn't listed.