Good Kid, M.A.A.D City - Kendrick Lamar
8.8

Review this album

1. Jun 19, 2013
    Cats need to focus on making great albums, not great mixtapes, not great singles, not great verses on other people stuff

At the end of the day if you want to be remember in music history, you're gonna be judged by the retail body of work you leave behind. Kendrick seems to be the only newcomer who really gets this

good kkid maad city is very complex, well structured & cohesive...
    this is a classic. Expand
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    Good god, I havent heard an album like this in a GOOD minute. I will actually purchase this rather than download it. If hip hop artist pumped out more stuff like this, labels could move units like it was '98.
  3. Jun 19, 2013
    One of the best album I have heard these last 7 years.

Everything about the the beats on GKMC --hell, everything about that album-- was meticulously thought out and executed in intricate fashion.
  4. Jun 19, 2013
    wow, classic album.
    Very few rappers can tell a story like that over a complete album. He takes a rather simple concept and transforms it into a unique introspective story that draws the listeners in by connecting with its audience. Not one song is alike, each song is in a different style and delivery. And the song mAAd city has out of this world flow.
  5. Jun 21, 2013
    The best recent rap album in memory, Kendrick Lamar combines lyricism, storytelling, and production masterfully to create an instant classic. The story, told immediately as the album begins, explores Kendrick's day in Compton. He delves into issues, such as gang violence, love (or lust), stereotypes in this day of a 17-year-old. The skits accentuate the songs, songs loop into each other, and the beats between songs keep the listener hooked. The album itself is an experience similar to watching a great movie. Its only negatives are the hooks can be a little strange, and some may find his voice annoying, though these are very insignificant issues when looking at the album as a whole. Multiple listens are advised. Expand
  6. Oct 20, 2013
    This album is special, we follow Kendrick Lamar through the album in a very exciting storytelling, and addictive tracks like Swimming Pools, Backseat, Don't Kill My Vibe, Money Trees, Etc. This isn't a album you will get bored of after a couple of months, you will always be able to bump this, and that shows Kendrick is capable of producing timeless music. 10/10
  7. Nov 17, 2013
    The best hip-hop/rap album of 2012. Section.80 sure as hell got my curiosity, but Good Kid, M.A.A.D City had my attention. Every production of this album is solid. All the tracks are easy to fall in love with. A masterpiece.
  8. Jul 25, 2013
    Took all of 9 months for me to process this album, & I'm still not bored with it (that's saying a lot coming from a Gemini)...Love it when the album itself says "WTF is a sophomore jinx?"...Already I'm expecting no less by the time Graduation rolls around...Excellent film, even better than the last Documentary Straight Out of Compton...
  9. Sep 13, 2013
    One of the best albums I've heard from any genre. Kendrick Lamar just might be the savior hip hop needs. Best word to describe this album: Perfection.
  10. Nov 1, 2013
    I am a big hip hop/rap fan, yet never really listened to kendrick lamar. I bought this album simply by going how high it's rated, and I have to say its one of the best albums I've Heard. The album represents different scenarios in his life growing up In Compton. Each song is fairly unique to the next and the album is definitely a game changer. I'll definitely be listening to kendrick lamar a whole lot more and purchase the next album kendrick has to offer out the brilliance of this one. GKMC 10/10 Expand
  11. Oct 21, 2013
    This album is brilliant, its well structured and each song is interesting no repetitiveness just pure talent form kendrick (as always) a potential classic
  12. Oct 24, 2013
    Changed the Hip Hop landscape, one of the only few real artists who also have that appeal to generate true listeners while telling their story. Brilliant.
  13. Dec 6, 2013
    This is a classic, arguably the greatest hip hop album ever. The album is a masterpiece, on the same level as Illmatic as far as albums go. Each song takes you on a journey. This is my favorite album of all time, regardless of genre.
  14. Feb 25, 2014
    By far my favorite album to listen to since it came out in 2012. I loved the storyline that Kendrick made for this album. His lyrics are also some of the best lyrics that I've listened to on not just any hip hop album, but out of any album that I've sat down and listened to. The lyrics are deep and meaningful, but still have an incredible rhythm and flow to them that never get old. The beats to the songs are different and I love when they change in the middle of a song to a new unique beat. All in all one of my favorite albums to listen to and it truly doesn't get old. I have listened to it over and over without growing bored or tired of listening to it. Expand
  15. Jan 29, 2014
    I can't imagine anyone with a half-way decent taste in music writing this album off as something less than extraordinary. Kendrick Lamar is standing up straight and ready to change the game, and it's only his first big album debut. His platinum album Good Kid, m.A.A.d. city is a game changer. His flow is versatile, his lyrics are real without succumbing to the boring, tasteless story-telling flow that many rappers easily fall in to. His content is refreshing, and a little (or alotta) executive production from Dr. Dre never hurt anyone, right?
    The album progresses like a short film. It is incredibly artistic and very real life, with an almost uncomfortable look into his personal life thanks to skits and phone calls from his mom. His struggle with faith, Sherane, and life on the streets of Compton are unfiltered and excellently told. There is no "throw-away" song.
    Stand out tracks on this album include: every song on the album.
  16. Jan 30, 2014
    this is definitely the best album I have heard these last 5 years. This or MBDTF. congrats to kendrick for making classic albums.
    A1 lyrics, A1 beats, A1 cohesiveness, A1 flow, A1 music
  17. Mar 3, 2014
    This is the best album I have ever heard. Kendrick Lamar deserves the title King Kendrick Lamar. The beats are weird but so amazing. The best two songs from the album are: Backseat Freestyle and m.A.A.d City. The track I could have done without is: Real. So I give this album a 10 out of 10. Thanks for reading.
  18. Apr 16, 2014
    Kendrick Lamar conseguiu me fazer voltar a escutar hip hop/rap. Esse disco mostra como um bom album do genero deve ser feito, diferente de muitos outros que rolam por ai, ''Good Kid M.A.A.D City'' é sensacional do começo ao fim. Com seu clima um tanto pesado mas sem perder sua essencia, o album é, com certeza, um dos melhores discos de hip hop da década.
  19. Mar 31, 2014
    All hail the new king of Hip-hop! At last, a true saviour of Hip-hop has finally arrive. Of course, I'm not saying that hip hop is dead before Kendrick Lamar burst into the scene. There was 2010's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but Kanye's last album was like an arthouse project with a huge-ass budget instead of a true blue hip hop album. Not since Illmatic, had an album produce so much hype over being an instant hip hop classic. However, Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is not an instant hip hop classic. It is THE INSTANT **** CLASSIC. The whole album plays out like an autobiography of Kendrick's life as a kid growing in the mad city known as Compton. From meeting with a girl in a club to meeting with rival gangs to a death of a peer, it plays out like a Scorsese film, grittiness and all. Now, here comes the point where I will wax lyrical about Kendrick the new King and saviour of hip hop. There's his wordplay, the flows every time he's on the mic, the storytelling, it all sums up perfectly in this album the reason why people rank him on par with Tupac, Eminem, Rakim and Nas. In fact, screw that. Non-hip hop listeners would probably fall for this album too with its top notch production quality. Overall, this is hands down the best album of 2012 bar none. All hail King Kendrick! Expand

1. Jan 24, 2013
    The quotidian problems and longings of the title track making up the real heart of the album, a rough and tumble struggle to the top.
  2. Jan 10, 2013
    In another rapper's hands the concepts might have been overcooked or the messages too self-righteous, but Kendrick manages to achieve scale while remaining firmly grounded on two feet.
  3. Dec 21, 2012
    This is the best rap album of 2012--not just because of champion verses and immaculate drops, but because they recognize that the most brilliant foreground only shines against a well-defined backdrop.