Good Kid, M.A.A.D City - Kendrick Lamar
8.8

Review this album

1. Sep 1, 2014
    Changed the way I perceived the life of other human beings. It opened up my mind to the trials and tribulations that a person living in a completely different, yet surprisingly similar world faced.
  2. Aug 26, 2014
    This album is a hip-hop classic and in my opinion, ranks in the top 3 rap albums of the decade, thus far. This album is so good that when you listen to it, you can envision everything that is happening. It's a shame that Kendrick didn't win the Grammy for Best Rap Album because this album is on another level.
  3. Jul 15, 2014
    Now everybody…”serenade to the new faith of Kendrick Lamar”.
    King Kendrick Lamar has ascended to the throne of rap.

good kid, m.a.a.d. city, the newest EP from Compton citizen and Dr. Dre protege Kendrick Lamar is an album not to be trifled with. The 25-year exploded onto the rap scene this past year with his new release, and ever since, he has almost become a household name. GKMC is
    almost more of an audio book than an album (or a “short film” for that matter), but that’s only because of Kendrick’s intensive and intriguing storytelling skills. The concept presented in this album gives the listener a front-row POV as Kendrick discusses a memoir from a self-proclaimed “good kid” turned to his hoodrat ways by the “maad city” that is Compton. Kendrick tells the tales of lust, fame, underage drinking and drug-doing, robbery, life, the presentation of death and the fear of it, the past, present, and future, money, gang violence, and the numerous ways that damn girl Sherane got him into all kinds of shenanigans. Lamar compares these topics in a way that has been rarely heard in precedent rap recordings with his incredible use of internal rhyme, and just the overall rhyme scheme in general. The production provides a smooth transition of flow across the entire album that leads you right into the next song. The structure of the songs are each differently assembled that no two songs really sound alike, attributing to the variety of issues he speaks about on the album.
    I really enjoyed the voicemail messages and outside recordings of the album’s characters. They show you a further insight into the song and help you better visualize what point Lamar is trying to get across.
    I also really found the way that Lamar switched up his voice to accentuate the different mindsets, characters, and moods he was using. You can hear the difference when he switches moods: from hyped to calm to sad to angry, and even from his regular voice to his high-pitched and low-pitched crooning, which reminded me of the psychological tripartite theory of Freud’s: the id, the ego, and the superego. Three mindsets crowd Lamar’s thoughts at times and you can hear it.
    I would have really liked to hear more about Sherane, or Lamar’s parents in the songs. Their characters intrigued me from the beginning and I was hooked instantly, especially seeing Sherane being compared to a TMNT character in the first song.
    Regardless, the production, feel, mood, lyrics, story, and flow on this album all combine to make a fantastic piece of music and create a new insight into the lives of the people in Compton.
    I definitely recommend listening to the full album straight through to get the full experience, also.
  4. Jun 30, 2014
    In this album I have everything I could ask for: Excellent and diverse production, top lyricism, a story you can relate to even if it's not in the same context or topic you feel related. Also you have life-changing tracks along with dark subjects, love songs, struggle anthems, motivation, positive thinking in **** up situations, it may even be a therapy session if you feel the need of one. You can describe this album with the word Visionary, because Kendrick's vision becomes an universal feeling, a need, a thought, once you listen to it, questions come and go, answers start to pop out even, when you did not know the question. I thank Kendrick, and I know it looks like I'm dickriding, but i gotta do it, because there's too much gratitude, enjoyment, suffering and over all those things, a change in myself, that I got with this project. I don't know if anyone feels the same, but that's how I feel about this album. Just my opinion. Expand
  5. May 16, 2014
    Kendrick's second studio album. and wow this thing was great ,Kendrick's smooth fast flow that changes with the topic he's rapping about. the production on this was impressive, the beats that he chose where perfect with what kendrick chose to rap about. each song on this is done really well, the lyrics throughout this album tell a story, like the skits at the end of every songs fit in well. very impressed with this album, a must get! Expand
  6. May 11, 2014
    Best Rap album ever released imo, so many tracks that keep on giving with every listen. He's a lyrical genius, with the flow to match. I had to listen through a few times before being rewarded, generally the sign of a great album.
    Saw kDot in a smallish show before he got super famous......best concert I've ever been to.

Standout tracks: M.A.A.D City, **** Don't Kill My Vibe, Swimming
    Pools, The Art of Peer Pressure, Money Trees, Backstreet Freestyle Expand
  7. May 8, 2014
    Lamar's ode to gangsta rap leaves the listener in awe and wanting more. His vivid lyrics and banging beats help out his cause as well. An improvement from Kendrick's previous installments (Section .80 & O.verly D.edicated) this one has a heart and soul to it that cannot be compared.
  8. Apr 30, 2014
    Section. 80 is proof enough that Kendrick isn't your run of the mill MC. Kendrick reaches even higher with this LP, reaches so high in fact, he's since set the bar for every single rapper, minus Kanye of course. Good Kid, M.a.a.d City is one of the best hip hop releases in the past 5 years. Dre's production is unrivaled, and Kendrick goes exceptionally hard, especially on "Backstreet Freestyle". Very refreshing to hear an actual rapper sing about growing up in the streets of Compton and not primarily acquiring large lump sums of cash from drug dealing. This isn't necessarily N.W.A type lyrics about Compton, gangsta **** but he does profess stories of him and his homies nearly getting thrown in prison, and problems with drinking, not to mention lewd comparisons between the Eiffel Tower and his penis.

All In All, Good Kid... Is packed with great lyrics, colorfully produced beats, impressive flows and intriguing narrative throughout the entire record. A-
  9. Apr 16, 2014
    Kendrick Lamar conseguiu me fazer voltar a escutar hip hop/rap. Esse disco mostra como um bom album do genero deve ser feito, diferente de muitos outros que rolam por ai, ''Good Kid M.A.A.D City'' é sensacional do começo ao fim. Com seu clima um tanto pesado mas sem perder sua essencia, o album é, com certeza, um dos melhores discos de hip hop da década.
  10. Mar 31, 2014
    All hail the new king of Hip-hop! At last, a true saviour of Hip-hop has finally arrive. Of course, I'm not saying that hip hop is dead before Kendrick Lamar burst into the scene. There was 2010's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but Kanye's last album was like an arthouse project with a huge-ass budget instead of a true blue hip hop album. Not since Illmatic, had an album produce so much hype over being an instant hip hop classic. However, Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is not an instant hip hop classic. It is THE INSTANT **** CLASSIC. The whole album plays out like an autobiography of Kendrick's life as a kid growing in the mad city known as Compton. From meeting with a girl in a club to meeting with rival gangs to a death of a peer, it plays out like a Scorsese film, grittiness and all. Now, here comes the point where I will wax lyrical about Kendrick the new King and saviour of hip hop. There's his wordplay, the flows every time he's on the mic, the storytelling, it all sums up perfectly in this album the reason why people rank him on par with Tupac, Eminem, Rakim and Nas. In fact, screw that. Non-hip hop listeners would probably fall for this album too with its top notch production quality. Overall, this is hands down the best album of 2012 bar none. All hail King Kendrick! Expand
  11. Mar 3, 2014
    This is the best album I have ever heard. Kendrick Lamar deserves the title King Kendrick Lamar. The beats are weird but so amazing. The best two songs from the album are: Backseat Freestyle and m.A.A.d City. The track I could have done without is: Real. So I give this album a 10 out of 10. Thanks for reading.
  12. Feb 25, 2014
    By far my favorite album to listen to since it came out in 2012. I loved the storyline that Kendrick made for this album. His lyrics are also some of the best lyrics that I've listened to on not just any hip hop album, but out of any album that I've sat down and listened to. The lyrics are deep and meaningful, but still have an incredible rhythm and flow to them that never get old. The beats to the songs are different and I love when they change in the middle of a song to a new unique beat. All in all one of my favorite albums to listen to and it truly doesn't get old. I have listened to it over and over without growing bored or tired of listening to it. Expand
  13. Jan 30, 2014
    this is definitely the best album I have heard these last 5 years. This or MBDTF. congrats to kendrick for making classic albums.
    A1 lyrics, A1 beats, A1 cohesiveness, A1 flow, A1 music
  14. Jan 29, 2014
    I can't imagine anyone with a half-way decent taste in music writing this album off as something less than extraordinary. Kendrick Lamar is standing up straight and ready to change the game, and it's only his first big album debut. His platinum album Good Kid, m.A.A.d. city is a game changer. His flow is versatile, his lyrics are real without succumbing to the boring, tasteless story-telling flow that many rappers easily fall in to. His content is refreshing, and a little (or alotta) executive production from Dr. Dre never hurt anyone, right?
    The album progresses like a short film. It is incredibly artistic and very real life, with an almost uncomfortable look into his personal life thanks to skits and phone calls from his mom. His struggle with faith, Sherane, and life on the streets of Compton are unfiltered and excellently told. There is no "throw-away" song.
    Stand out tracks on this album include: every song on the album.
  15. Jan 26, 2014
    A Hip Hop story that needed to be told, if only to keep other people from making the same mistakes that Kendrick did. It doesn't hurt that the album is masterfully crafted with great lyrics from Kendrick throughout its entirety, and high quality from the few guest verses as well. Every songs is great, but standouts include Money Trees, **** don't Kill my vibe, Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City, Real, and the 12 minute long Think about me, I'm Dying of Thirst, the most powerful song on the album. Whether or not Kendrick spits the best verses on the reg is irrelevant when he made a much needed period piece that takes itself seriously enough to mean something, while still being a **** banger through and through. Expand
  16. Jan 6, 2014
    Literally the most overrated album of all time. The story is completely uninteresting, and most songs are so boring you'll actually find it hard to stay awake. Nothing else to say about it really, the album is an overrated snoozefest. Complete trash.
  17. Dec 18, 2013
    [9.3] This album is definitely one with a lot of things going for it. The sleek, raw, and occasionally gritty production is where this album succeeds the most; subtle, yet powerful instrumentation, an interesting narrative, and a certain dark energy are constant in this album. Kendrick's lyrics, his voice, his hooks, and his style couldn't be more consistent on this record, making it an almost flawless concept album. I can't point out any repetitive songs or any underwhelming moments. The album also has some quality that distances itself from other rap records. There are some hints of nostalgia on this record, but it never comes off as formulaic. The only problems I could point out are some issues with guests' performances, which sometimes are sometimes slightly annoying. Great record. Expand
  18. Dec 12, 2013
    The production oozes Dre, and Kendrick's flow and vocal variance (e.g. m.A.A.d city vs. Art of Peer Pressure) contribute a more complex, multi-faceted approach to gangsta rap. GKMC is like no other album out there, and how it revived and evolved 90s hip-hop makes this an instant classic.
  19. Dec 6, 2013
    This is a classic, arguably the greatest hip hop album ever. The album is a masterpiece, on the same level as Illmatic as far as albums go. Each song takes you on a journey. This is my favorite album of all time, regardless of genre.
  20. Nov 17, 2013
    The best hip-hop/rap album of 2012. Section.80 sure as hell got my curiosity, but Good Kid, M.A.A.D City had my attention. Every production of this album is solid. All the tracks are easy to fall in love with. A masterpiece.
  21. Nov 1, 2013
    I am a big hip hop/rap fan, yet never really listened to kendrick lamar. I bought this album simply by going how high it's rated, and I have to say its one of the best albums I've Heard. The album represents different scenarios in his life growing up In Compton. Each song is fairly unique to the next and the album is definitely a game changer. I'll definitely be listening to kendrick lamar a whole lot more and purchase the next album kendrick has to offer out the brilliance of this one. GKMC 10/10 Expand
  22. Oct 24, 2013
    Changed the Hip Hop landscape, one of the only few real artists who also have that appeal to generate true listeners while telling their story. Brilliant.
  23. Oct 21, 2013
    This album is brilliant, its well structured and each song is interesting no repetitiveness just pure talent form kendrick (as always) a potential classic
  24. Oct 20, 2013
    This album is special, we follow Kendrick Lamar through the album in a very exciting storytelling, and addictive tracks like Swimming Pools, Backseat, Don't Kill My Vibe, Money Trees, Etc. This isn't a album you will get bored of after a couple of months, you will always be able to bump this, and that shows Kendrick is capable of producing timeless music. 10/10
  25. Oct 15, 2013
    All I can say is: 5-10 years from now, people will look back at this album and put it right next to the all-time hip-hop classics, right there next to "Raising Hell", "The Chronic", "Straight Outta Compton", "Illmatic"... By all means, Kendrick has proven to be one of the (if not the only) greatest lyricists of his generation.

The whole storyline and how it's constructed in the songs
    and the skits, the climax between the end of "Swimming Pools" and "Sing About Me Dying of Thirst", like it's the master-scene of this short movie...

I'm definitely adding that to the list of "All Time Greatest Hip-Hop albums"
  26. Oct 14, 2013
    this album is the most overrated album of all time, yes the production was good but i think people are the whole story board of the album overshadow the music itself. personally i prefer section 80. gkmc heavily influence by Andre 3000
  27. Sep 13, 2013
    One of the best albums I've heard from any genre. Kendrick Lamar just might be the savior hip hop needs. Best word to describe this album: Perfection.
  28. Jul 25, 2013
    Took all of 9 months for me to process this album, & I'm still not bored with it (that's saying a lot coming from a Gemini)...Love it when the album itself says "WTF is a sophomore jinx?"...Already I'm expecting no less by the time Graduation rolls around...Excellent film, even better than the last Documentary Straight Out of Compton...
  29. Jul 22, 2013
    Solid gold west coast classic. Whilst clearly drawing inspiration from 90's dominator's Dre and Snoop, Lamarr twists his slightly nasal drawl around fresh beats that dazzle, yet linger in the memory. There's a beguiling quality to the production, which often sounds dark and melancholy, suiting the tales of everyday gang violence and inner turmoil. Put simply, Kendrick Lamarr proves himself THE next rap talent, and has overtaken Kanye West as the worlds best performer of the genre. This is how I felt when I listened to Fleet Foxes début back in 2008. This, definitively, is the start of something very special Expand
  30. Jul 11, 2013
    Don't have really anything negative to say about this album. It is perfect. His story telling and lyricism is amazing. Every track on this is amazing. The producers made amazing beats for the tracks and the artists featured in the songs have Great verses too. I love this album, this is a CLASSIC. He talks about his child hood, struggle living in compton. You have to listen to this album because this is one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time.

Overall: 10/10 PERFECT
  31. Jun 21, 2013
    The best recent rap album in memory, Kendrick Lamar combines lyricism, storytelling, and production masterfully to create an instant classic. The story, told immediately as the album begins, explores Kendrick's day in Compton. He delves into issues, such as gang violence, love (or lust), stereotypes in this day of a 17-year-old. The skits accentuate the songs, songs loop into each other, and the beats between songs keep the listener hooked. The album itself is an experience similar to watching a great movie. Its only negatives are the hooks can be a little strange, and some may find his voice annoying, though these are very insignificant issues when looking at the album as a whole. Multiple listens are advised. Expand
  32. Jun 19, 2013
    wow, classic album.
    Very few rappers can tell a story like that over a complete album. He takes a rather simple concept and transforms it into a unique introspective story that draws the listeners in by connecting with its audience. Not one song is alike, each song is in a different style and delivery. And the song mAAd city has out of this world flow.
  33. Jun 19, 2013
    One of the best album I have heard these last 7 years.

Everything about the the beats on GKMC --hell, everything about that album-- was meticulously thought out and executed in intricate fashion.
  34. Jun 19, 2013
    I wasn't sold on Kendrick Lamar, however after listening to this concept album, I am not a believer. To be able to listen to an album from front to back anymore is rare. This is one of those albums. Bonus cuts could have been better, but skits were properly placed and this album worked well. Instant classic
  35. Jun 19, 2013
    Good god, I havent heard an album like this in a GOOD minute. I will actually purchase this rather than download it. If hip hop artist pumped out more stuff like this, labels could move units like it was '98.
  36. Jun 19, 2013
    Cats need to focus on making great albums, not great mixtapes, not great singles, not great verses on other people stuff

At the end of the day if you want to be remember in music history, you're gonna be judged by the retail body of work you leave behind. Kendrick seems to be the only newcomer who really gets this

good kkid maad city is very complex, well structured & cohesive...
    this is a classic. Expand
  37. Jun 18, 2013
    Now everybody…”serenade to the new faith of Kendrick Lamar”.
    King Kendrick Lamar has ascended to the throne of rap.

38. Jun 18, 2013
    A short 'film' by Kendrick Lamar... never has an album been more appropriately titled.

90% of rap albums are mere playlists, this is an album.. and more. ’good kid, m.A.A.d city’ has so much depth, it demands close inspection, this is the most expansive project I've ever heard, light years ahead of Section 80. The lyrics themselves are technical masterpieces, full of layered rhythms and
    meanings. The production is captivating, Kendrick’s lyrical prowess and vivid storytelling come to life like scenes from a movie.

Minor imperfections are dwarfed by it’s excellence, insignificant in the grand scheme of things. When you hear an album you can recognise instantaneously if it's a classic or not, GKMC is unequivocally a classic. In context (the current rap climate) it’s quite possibly the greatest accomplishment in Hip Hop history. Universally critically acclaimed, even the most hardheaded critics are raving about it, case in point.. Anthony Fantano (Needledrop). This album is high art, Kendrick Lamar.. dubbed as 'raps saviour' by the wider Hip Hop community has delivered!, rejoice.
  39. Jun 15, 2013
    this album is by far the best west coast album since doggystyle. storytelling is mind-blowing, production is excellent, and its only scary that he's just getting started. well done king kendrick.
  40. Jun 14, 2013
    I'm sure Kendrick Lamar has a really interesting story to tell, but to me he's just not all that compelling. I get it, it's a concept album...I just don't care for the concept
  41. Jun 10, 2013
    The best Hip Hop album that has come out in last few years. Kendrick is a master of story telling and the album is more cohesive than ever. He delivers with diverse but unifying songs that make this story of the good kid in a MAAD City one for ages.
  42. May 27, 2013
    The production is spot on but that's not the only good thing about this album. The lyricism is amazing and the album tells a fascinating story about life in Compton. This album is simply amazing and is a must buy.
  43. May 18, 2013
    This album will go down as one of the best albums of all time for any genre just like Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, Ready to Die and the other rap albums that are considered the best of all time. When those albums came out we didn't understand how great they because were very young at the time. Now we have a chance to witness a classic and a legend in the making. The storytelling is amazing. It's like a movie. You can't just listen to a couple of songs or skip through. You have to listen straight through from beginning to end. Expand
  44. Apr 17, 2013
    Few albums have stories this cohesive. Fewer hip hop albums have as much scope and precision as good kid, m.A.A.d. city. With a narrative that knocks storytelling out of the park, as well as some of the finest rap cuts in a few years, Kendrick Lamar is an artist among artists. With songs as catchy as Don't Kill My Vibe," and others as brooding as "Good Kid," while others are kind of poignant, like "Real," there is enough here to at least say that this is a fine record indeed, but still ranks as one of the best records of 2012, and one of the best hip-hop albums, period. Expand
  45. Apr 14, 2013
    Alright, critically over-rated. DECENT HIP-HOP. There are a few good tracks on here but many of them fall short for me. a 4 sounds pretty good. It's better than most hip-hop albums out there.
  46. Apr 8, 2013
    There is a lot to say about this album. Production was solid, his flow was decent (but fitting), and the features were great. However the story is what had me hooked.

It starts out with Kendrick, a 17 year old in Compton, stealing his moms van to go to a party. To obtain the van he tells his parents that he is going to Domino's. To keep this simple I will tell the basics! He meets a
    girl named Sherane, who he has sex with even though he is skeptical of her family's tough lifestyle. Next he goes to hang out with his friends, who also have been sucked into the ignorant violent teenage stereotype. They tell him to bring his freestyles and the listener notices that Kendrick is acting different then he was in the past two songs. He is quite brag worthy and raps about and his dick. However in the next song he says he only acts stupid because he's "with the homies." In this song he also talks about robbing houses when he's with his friends. While he is chilling with his friends, he thinks about Sherane and soon realizes that he is in love. After this song (Poetic Justice), he leaves his friends to see Sherane, but gets jumped by her cousins. After getting jumped Kendrick reminisces and gets depressed. He thinks about all the violence and gangs in Compton. Through all this he ends up in a party where he wants to drink because of all he is going through. A man at the party helps him and then his conscious takes play and helps him get out of this new feeling. Simultaneously, his friends are trying to kill Sherane's cousins because they attacked Kendrick earlier. They shoot one of her cousins, but one of Kendrick's friends brothers gets killed in the rubble. This sends all of Kendrick's homies and Kendrick into another angry frenzy where Kendrick goes over all the depressing dangers and problems in Compton (Sing About Me/ I'm Dying of Thirst.) In between Sing About Me and I'm Dying of Thirst, a preacher from the church goes up to Kendrick's homies and tells them that they are dying of thirst. This means that they need to refresh their values with god. After Dying of Thirst, Kendrick's mom calls him, which she has many times in the album telling him to get Dominoes and to give back her van. By now Kendrick's mom just wants him to one day return and she hopes that he can teach lessons to the "black and brown kids of Compton." and she hopes that he will be successful in the music career. Kendrick calls his mom in the Deluxe edition and tells her he will be home soon thus ending the album.

Album of the Year?
  47. Apr 7, 2013
    This generations "ILLMATIC". Mr. Lamar has done it again and has finally established himself as one of the top emcees in the game. Its is one of those albums that you can play all the way through from start to finish.
  48. Apr 6, 2013
    Kendrick Lamar's first major studio album is nothing short of phenomenal. This review could go on for thousands and thousands of words. Keeping it somewhat short though, Kendrick has improved on his what was already incredible lyricism, ear for production, flow, and just downright ability to spit. Each song is an absolute delight, and most can be very thought provoking if you're not too busy being captivated by the production to pay attention to the lyrics. Songs like "The Art of Peer Pressure", and "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst" are two of his most personal works to date. The concept is brilliant, and the structure is absolutely perfect, as the album ends (and kind of begins again), with the Just Blaze produced "Compton". If it was absolutely necessary to pick one song that wasn't as good as the rest, it would be "Real", simply because of the almost unbearable hook, which was a real half assed idea, but still, Kendrick's lyrics more than make up for it. The word classic is thrown around much too often nowadays, and it's much too early to throw it around for this album, regardless of how great it is. So for now, I'll call this album a masterpiece. Expand
  49. Apr 4, 2013
    If there is such thing as a perfect album this would be it. Kendrick Lamar's debut album couldn't have been any better, the subject matter of living in a deprived neighborhood, riddled with drugs and gang violence is told greatly by Kendrick. The album as a whole is very cohesive and flows smoothly all the way through, listening to one track simply makes me want to listen to more. Kendrick's writing ability is quiet impressive, with some very introspective songs and also some songs about the harsh reality of living in the ghetto. Kendrick brings you into his life with this album and does an excellent job by doing so he puts the listener in his shoes. The production is flawless with great melodies and mixing. Overall this project is the definition of a master piece a future classic, the illmatic of the new era some would say, Kendrick again delivers another great project and has raised the bar for himself and all his hip hop peers around him. Expand
  50. Mar 23, 2013
    This short film escapade, has really given Hip Hop its respect and intelligence back. Kendricks story telling are to perfection, with his rhymes and hooks giving you the front seat view of his film. The features are well chosen giving the theme to each song to suit the story. The production is incredible, giving every track a individual remembrance of gold. This masterfully constructed album has really put Kendrick on top of hip hop this year, and set the bar for rappers releasing albums soon. Expand
  51. Mar 11, 2013
    Compton and the Wests Rap Savior......Kendrick hits on every track!!!

Don't be fooled by tha haterz and "Hip Hop Experts" on here.

THIS ALBUM BANGZ!!!
  52. Mar 9, 2013
    it;s the best rap album of 2012, but that's not saying much. this is a great album, but not a masterpiece. some of the beats are just not enough to call this a masterpiece
  53. Mar 4, 2013
    Instant classic. I still can't believe Kendrick Lamar made a better follow-up to 'Section.80'. Good Kid,'M.A.A.D City' is without a doubt the best hip-hop album since Kanye West's 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy'. This guy has elevated West-Coast Gangsta Rap beyond any artist we're ever heard before. Game tried, but could not bring it this far. It has to rank among those 90's West-Coast classics we can't get enough off... This album, along with Frank Ocean's 'Channel ORANGE', have just put concept albums in hip-hop and R&B in the fore-front... Expand
  54. Feb 27, 2013
    The way this entire album is a story and has individual meaning is absolutely stunning. A few songs fly over my head, but most stick, and the overall narrative approach is amazing. 9 from me.
  55. Feb 18, 2013
    Simply the greatest rap album of this decade, if not the century.
    It isn't Illmatic, but is a different sound and incredible content, intelligence, beats etc, It was a top notch album, Puts 2 Chainz to shame
  56. Feb 17, 2013
    Album of the year.... Instant classic, anyone else agree? With this album, Kendrick Lamar not only solidifies himself as a true lyricist, but he proves he can take on the difficult task of delivering a concept album and brings together the best of both worlds
  57. Feb 11, 2013
    Instant classic. That's all I can say. Everything on this album is perfect. Great message and amazing execution. Kendrick is one of the most promising MC's in the rap game right now. There isn't much I can say about this album other than this is amazing and is a must listen for anyone who just simply enjoy's genuine music whether you are a hip-hop head or an indie fan. Get your hands on this album. All I can say. Expand
  58. Feb 10, 2013
    This album really proves that rap hasn't turned into crap. With smart lyrics that tells a story about a boy growing u and facing life i found this album to be one of the best of last year.
  59. Jan 17, 2013
    @Eminem You realize that the last statement in your review is completely flawed, besides, Tupac and Biggie haven't even made an album in the last 10 years.... But the album is fantastic, the way Kendrick tells his story is truly brilliant and original, best album of the year hands down and an instant classic.
  60. Jan 16, 2013
    Playing this album's tracks individually results only in a sense of isolated disappointment. As a whole, this album is pure gold. Listen to this album one track after another and you, like me, will be inclined to call it a masterpiece. Instant classic. Production values that are sky high but don't eradicate the heart and soul of the artist. Lyrics that are meaningful. Beats that are memorable. This is next to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, The Marshall Mathers LP, Illmatic and Glass Swords as one of the finest albums (hip-hop or not) of all time. Expand
  61. Jan 14, 2013
    Fantastic album. Took a while to grow on me but now I feel like it's the undisputed album of the year and one of the best efforts in the past few years by any rapper. Very cohesive story, outstanding flow and lyricism, and smooth production make it one of the best debut albums ever.
  62. Jan 12, 2013
    Kendrick's lyricism is mind-blowing. His ability to paint vivid pictures through story-telling is unmatched since Biggie Smalls. It may be better. The production is perfect for Kendrick, and complements his unreal lyricism excellently.
    However, there are some repetitive phrases and choruses (see "Real"). The final track, "Compton", is a letdown. It finishes the album with a sense of
    arrogance, (courtesy of Dr. Dre, who is featured on the song), rather than honesty, which seems to be a trademark trait of Kendrick. It's no doubt a great album, but the final track is a letdown. Expand
  63. Jan 9, 2013
    This album is great. Most of the time I prefer underground rap because of the high level of lyricism they always use. Kendrick Lamar isn't underground but he delivers with a totally unique flow. You can tell that he's very comfortable on the mike, and i'm very comfortable listening. Very nice album.
  64. Jan 4, 2013
    Fantastic album. Really. Most of mainstream rap has become incredibly monotonous but good kid, m.A.A.d. city revitalized by hope. A compelling album that guides your from beginning to the end with an interesting story. Each song taken in context is simply superb. The beats are brilliant and Kendrick's flow and voice carry. The only lesser moment on the album is the closer Compton which seems out of place. Dr Dre's rap is the only guest appearance seeming to drag the album down. Real the track preceding Compton tells of a real man. caring for family and responsibility. Great listen. Expand
  65. Jan 4, 2013
    An instant classic, Kendrick Lamar has delivered one of the finest albums to come out of 2012. Immaculate production and spectacular vision as far as contemporary rap goes. The album is nearly flawless with the exception of "Compton" and "Backseat Freestyle." Standouts include, **** don't Kill My Vibe", "The Art of Peer Pressure," "Poetic Justice," "Money Trees," and "Sing About Me I'm Dying Of Thirst." A must have! Expand
  66. Dec 29, 2012
    Kendrick is about as human as possible and he has a wonderful way of expressing just that. He takes a story about family, violence, faith, religion, confessions and insecurities and lays himself bare for all to hear. And as well as delivering this story with a sense of comfortable conviction that is humble enough to make you feel as if Kendrick is talking at your level but assertive enough to make you listen, Kendrick shows his talent for a memorable hook, suitable collaborations and his talent to give the album an unexpected depth, with characters being developed and criticised as Kendrick looks within himself.

The introspection can often become extremely intense and close to the bone, making the story easier to follow as the album progresses. Kendrick transforms from a young kid suffering from peer pressure, the urge for sex and girlfriends the family disapprove of, to a man that can move on and become "really, really real", and we're there to watch him grow from start to finish.

Fantastic album.
  67. Dec 28, 2012
    Greatest debut I heard in a long time probably since Em's Slim Shady LP. I listened to all the tracks and it just sounds like the perfect hip-hop that we needed. Lyrics are really good, the production is also good and the little skits in the songs goes well with the album. If you have not picked up this album I suggest you do so. This album will be talked about for years
  68. Dec 28, 2012
    Just compare this album to any other mainstream rap album released this year. GKMC is close to a masterpiece - from lyrics, concepts, beats, features, structures to skits - everything is on point. Name another rap album that have included such a thorough, well-executed and structured story. It's like a "short film" as the cover art says. It makes you imagine the songs scenes in your head. Every song is so deep and striking - even Swimming Pools, despite it's mainstream feel.

A lot of rappers, e.g. Game, Dr. Dre, rap about the life of Compton, it's a common theme on West Coast hip hop, and Kendrick knew that, so he delivered his view of his home city in such a diverse and original way. In recent years there haven't been any hip hop albums that can be labelled as a "classic", but good kid, m.A.A.d city is almost one. This album deserves all the props that it receives, because there won't be an album like this coming again any time soon.
  69. Dec 21, 2012
    Sonically, you can't do better than Kendrick, and even though I found myself frequently confused/ angered by Lamar's constant character/style/flow changes, I was also greatly impressed with each individual track. Yes, it misses the mark on immersion as an album, but as a collection of individual songs, holy balls. It's so good.
  70. Dec 20, 2012
    This is a good album but not instant classic (if that even exists) and one has to wonder about the motives of some of these high scores by these so-called professional reviewers. It is like they are trying to create another great or something. The album definitely has the same flaws that most mainstream rappers have. It is not like his lyrics are inspiring to a grown man. The album also is held together way too often by skits which almost becomes a crutch at times. Drake really has no business fitting into this album other than him simply wanting him on here. Also, the constant mentioning of his city or Compton is clearly not something that his creative juices are telling him to do. It is a strategy put in his head by Dr. Dre and other west coast pioneers.

All that said, the album flows together well and has a standout song or two but I am not sure that this album really has the replay value as a entire body of work to make it strong enough to be a classic.
  71. Dec 18, 2012
    Section 80 is better............
  72. Dec 16, 2012
    Album of the year. good kid brings a thematic quality that 2012 rap albums all lacked this year. Production is on point, Kendrick's raps are top notch, and all of the stories that intertwine the album come together for one beautiful Compton drama. One after another, each song carried the story into a deeper, darker place, accumulating to that climax at "Sing For Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst." Without those little stories in the middle/end of songs, this would be one of the most disjointed rap album I would ever hear. However, Lamar puts out his best verses, his best beats, and his story out there into this beautiful tapestry known as good kid, m.A.A.d. city, a rap album that will be talked about going into the next decade. Expand
  73. Dec 12, 2012
    Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is both entertaining and poetic - proof that hip-hop can be an art form and that an album can be more than just fun music. The album unfolds like the perfectly planned script of a Quentin Tarantino movie - Kendrick Lamar switches flows as well as perspectives, and every detail within the lyrics and production seems to be important to the story. The excellent production makes you feel like you're riding along with Kendrick through Compton. "Backseat Freestyle" puts the listener in the car with Kendrick as he busts a freestyle with his friends, while songs like "The Art of Peer Pressure" puts you inside Kendrick's head to reveal his wiser lyrical efforts. The hard, trunk-banging production on "m.A.A.d. city" sets the perfect atmosphere of a dangerous city, and the MC Eiht feature on this song is bones-chilling. All of the features, including Drake, seem to be perfectly placed. Kendrick is on point & in his zone, ultimately making listeners think deep with cuts like "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst". Themes of life, death, and humanity make this album memorable. Meanwhile, chilled out, atmospheric songs like "B*%&^ Don't Kill Me Vibe" and "Money Trees" make this album fun to return to. As far as I'm concerned, after hearing this album, any rap song with Kendrick Lamar on it is worth listening to. Expand
  74. Dec 10, 2012
    if an album deserves a perfect rating, this is one of those rare occasions. good kid, maad city not only manages to transcend the rap genre through stylistic rhythm, beautiful cadence and witty lyricism, but successfully weaves a competent storyline into its narrative. each and every song is brilliant, featuring an insight into kendrick's childhood through skits and dialogue which bring realism to the sequences and actually give the impression that you are an outside viewer into his life for a brief period of time.

the production throughout the album is brilliant in the way that it evolves throughout the songs, notably in
  75. Dec 10, 2012
    I, like so many other people, I waited a long time the release of this album and I wasn't disappointed. Kendrick Lamar will become one of the godfathers of hip-hop thanks to his talent and what he has to say. Speaking of Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City you can say that is a mix of excellent production (Hit-Boy, Just Blaze) and large collaborations like Drake, Dr. Dre and MC Eiht. Kendrick Lamar in his lyrics speak a lot about economic disenfranchisement, gang violence, and downtrodden women but does so with a style so original, to be envied by Jay-Z. The West Coast Hip-Hop is reborn, Brooklyn attention. Expand
  76. Dec 4, 2012
    Best Rap/Hip Hop Album Of 2012. Kendrick Has A Bright Future In The Music Industry. The Album Is A Mix Of The Style Of Raekwon And Andre 3000. Story Line Of The Albums Makes Me Feel As I Lived In These Events
  77. Dec 4, 2012
    The listener gets a clear, thorough (and possibly relatable) story of a young kid struggling through the trials of teenage and young adulthood within the structurally crafted lyrics. Everything is neatly brought together to create not only a cohesive project but a classic to be heard for generations to come.
  78. Nov 26, 2012
    I hesitate to give this album a 10 because it's still so new, but I think once I've had some years to sit and look back this will be one of my favorite hip hop albums ever. If you ignore the story that is being told throughout the entire album you will miss a lot and the point of songs like Swimming Pool and Backseat Freestyle will go right over your head without you even realizing it. He's a fantastic storyteller (especially on Sing About Me...) and the beats are great. Would suggest to any fan of hip hop. Expand
  79. Nov 25, 2012
    first listening to this album you may not 'get the hype' or understand it all, but ounce you go back and listen to his other albums, go and look up the history, go look up concept of the album and go look up the lyrics and listen to it again then you will not only understand the album but start loving it. This isn't just an average rap album talking about different things and seperate tracks with dumb lyrics infact this album is a masterpiece. The concept of the album is a day in the life of a teenage Kendrick Lamar as an upcoming rapper before he ever got signed and the way it is done really makes you feel like your actually there. Each track and their lyrics makes sense/fits on the album and links up with not only the others on the album but other tracks on his previous albums. It is a lyrical journey like no other. I also suggest picking up his previous albums/mixtapes. Expand
  80. Nov 25, 2012
    Simply put, the album is amazing. Kendrick delivers a story through rapping, which many rappers fail to do. Kendrick's flow and lyricism is unique. The album's story revolves around young 10th grade Kendrick in Compton from trying to get at a girl he likes to hanging out with his homies and spitting freestyles in the backseat. Every track on the album is fresh and different, you'll never get bored from the tracks. The beats are amazing and of course, so is the writing. The amount of features on the album was disappointing at first, but Kendrick is trying to deliver his own story. However, the features that do appear on the album are solid. Drake does a great job in Poetic Justice (coming from a person who doesn't like Drake), Jay Rock is excellent on Money Trees, MC Ei8ht does well in m.A.A.d city, and of course Mary J. Blige does an amazing job! As a fan of Black Hippy, I would have loved to see verses from Schoolboy Q and Ab-Soul as well, but there still is the Black Hippy The Recipe and Swimming Pools remixes as bonus tracks for the album. All in all, good kid, m.A.A.d city is an amazing album and will become a classic as time goes by. All rap fans should consider giving it a listen. Expand
  81. Nov 24, 2012
    Grand album. Kendrick Lamar is one of the best rappers ever in the field of lyrics and proves it on his "short film". The way of his rapping is special and also if he's not every time on beat, he's a really great rapper. I love concept albums and this one is a really good one. But you can also just enjoy his flow and the great beats. 'good kid, m.A.A.d city' is one of the best albums in the year 2012 and I suggest you buying the deluxe edition, if not, you'll miss three awesome songs! Expand
  82. Nov 20, 2012
    Words cannot describe how amazing this album is. One of the most anticipated this year, and it delivers everything perfectly. Kendrick isn't your average rapper, he's more than that. Kendrick tells a story in this album, and boy does he do it amazingly. The lyrics are witty, beats are fantastic, and the way the songs just flow into each other is simply beautiful. I can't recommend this album enough. It's honestly on comparable to Illmatic or something of that caliber, go and grab this album! Expand
  83. Nov 18, 2012
    With this album, Kendrick Lamar not only solidifies himself as a true lyricist, but he proves he can take on the difficult task of delivering a concept album and brings together the best of both worlds. The album plays like a real movie going into the life of a good kid lost in a place where violence, drugs and lust is everywhere. Showing you the highs and lows he goes through on this audio tour of Compton. Section.80 was my favorite rap album last year. And yet somehow, some way the major label debut was actually better then the indie album. A feet that as of recent I haven't seen yet especially with someone who had their hype built up as big as Kendrick's hype was. Congrats to Kendrick for the success he's been receiving. He deserves it. #HiiiPoWeR Expand
  84. N10
    Nov 18, 2012
    Surely he is the king of west coast right now and a big name in hip hop, overall just something music lovers would appreciate, and this album surely know it's roots, he did a big favor to todays hip hop, an instant classic it is with production and storytelling on-point, and as a lyricist he's great, fantastic, he's on a league that not many artists are. Kendrick has a nice flow and a really interesting, thought-provoking and a heart warming conecpt. "good kid, m.A.A.d city" is incredible, and according to me the best hip hop album this year and the year's best with Frank Ocean's "channel ORANGE". The album is a favourite, one of my favourite hip hop albums of all time's, yes I really said it, one of the best for sure, have played this over a hundred time's since the release of it!
    K. Dot, Kendrick Lamar, thanks for making this, thank you, I really appreciate this.
  85. Nov 15, 2012
    I am going to go ahead and repeat what everyone else has been chanting--instant classic. First, his style is "west coast" at its finest, with obvious, but not overwhelming, influence from Tupac, Eminem, Snoop, Dre, Nas. Now, the ALBUM. It is, in fact, a short film by Kendrick Lamar. It has an over-arching narrative throughout the entire record, never compromising the story, spit like silk and with some of the most thoughtful and deep and complex displays of rap in recent time. Simply, it's not enough to call it a classic. Dark. Personal. Compelling. Linear. Just when I thought that Kanye West owned the "album business" and that nobody else could /create/ and compose an entire project the way he does, Kendrick Lamar proved us wrong. I was convinced the east coast ruled rap with recent legends like J Cole. But, again, Kendrick Lamar refutes all of that. It's the best album of the year--among Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt and Ready To Die as the greatest debut's (major label) in all of hip hop, and the potential to be one of the best and most important albums of the genre's lifetime. Expand
  86. Nov 11, 2012
    This thing was widely anticipated considering how hot K Dot has become-jumping on everyone's remixes and all the singles he was putting out. Now an entire album which is FIRE. I liked the addition of old school Spice One on the record. However the album seemed kinda limited versus his wide array of styles shown on his singles. A bit too limited at times (Yes, we get it, Pyrus are in your 'hood) and would have liked to seen more TDE contributions on this CD but it is a banger and a tribute to know hip hop isn't dying. Expand
  87. Nov 10, 2012
    Every generation in Rap has that one album that comes along and revolutionizes the genre all over again, the 80's had NWA's 'Straight Outta Compton', the 90's had Nas's 'Illmatic' (which arguably influenced classic albums such as Biggie Smalls 'Ready To Die' and Jay-Z's 'Reasonable Doubt' amongst many others) Good Kid M.A.A.D City is another album that will no doubt in time be regarded as a 'game changer' as no album in the past 12 years (and there have been some great ones) has sounded or come close to how great this album as a whole is, from the excellent 'short film' premise, production and features to the Lyrical content, this album goes against every conventional rap album that has been released in this era, its as if it does not belong in this era at all. This album is a MUST listen to, and will hopefully inspire more artists in Rap/Hip-Hop to raise the bar as a whole; Kendrick Lamar has no doubt crafted a Classic for the 'new age'. Expand
  88. Nov 4, 2012
    Best Rap album THIS YEAR... (Big Sean - Detroit is the best mixtape)

I was one of those people that was like "why is he getting all this hype???", but then I bought and listened to Meek's album and this. Haven't listened to Meek's album since hearing this masterpiece.

For everyone not believing that this album is classic worthy, I suggest that you listen (REALLY listen) to Swimming
    Pools through Real, skits and all, while reading the lyrics on RAP GENIUS... It's like watching Boyz In the Hood in CD form. Beautiful, simply beautiful... Expand
  89. Nov 4, 2012
    Let me just start by saying that I am not a huge fan of hip hop. Recently I've been turned off by the zero-substance "radio-beat" songs that the industry keeps pumping out. Since Section.80 dropped in 2011, Kendrick has been one of just a few hip hop artists I'd even listen to. I've been waiting on this album ever since, and I can assure it doesn't disappoint. This is a rare gem of its time, an album with extreme substance and storytelling matched by very few hip hop albums ever. Kendrick's lyrics dig deep into his own past and make you feel for the lifestyle of growing up in one of the most crime-riddled, broken cities in America, and how he escaped it. This is by far a collective piece, if you listen to it make sure it's in order from beginning to end. Each track feeds off the next and paints a vivid picture of Kendrick's city and the lifestyle he lived, and eventually, how he changed because of it. After each song there is a "skit" with actors playing people from his past in real situations Kendrick was in. These really tie in and give explanation for each song. I should also add that the voice acting is absolutely phenomenal, and I don't know how the actors pulled it off so magnificently. This is a prominent milestone in music of our time and it would be a crime to miss it. It offers so much to the listener as you can listen and experience his story in different ways every time. An un-paralleled achievement of our time, there is no one better in hip-hop than Kendrick Lamar. Expand
  90. Nov 4, 2012
    This is a very important album. Not many artists have the ability to blend commercial appeal and artistic vision - early Eminem, most 90's rappers, Kanye West, Jay-Z and Nas (to a degree). Otherwise, most great hip-hop stays underground and under-appreciated. Kendrick is one of the few new rappers who has managed to break this barrier, with "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" - a phenomenal album that sounds amazingly cohesive and tells a story that puts most concept albums to shame. Not only does Kendrick manage to make his music sound great, he also addresses numerous moral issues and gives some much-needed insight into the black communities inside the USA, showing us the corruption of the system that surrounds these young folk and exposing their mentality. His storytelling, rich with imagery, manages to create a link between the two parallels of society that too often stay separated. The album contains great humor, raw emotion, clever wordplay, rich production and, most importantly, soul. I urge everyone to go out and support Kendrick Lamar, along with the rest of Black Hippy (his hip-hop group). 10/10 Expand
  91. Nov 3, 2012
    ......and the grammy award for best rap album goes tooo............ MAH **** KENDRICK LAMAR, GOOD KID,M.A.A.D CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  92. Nov 3, 2012
    This album is the result of extensive work by Kendrick Lamar. Most of the lyrics have underlying messages and it's put together masterfully. The production and mixing is beautiful. It's a breath of fresh air in today's hip hop. Album of the year and a perfect 10/10.
  93. Nov 3, 2012
    DOPE!! good kid, m.A.A.d city is not only one of the best rap albums of the year, but its also one of the best albums of all time in music. This album tells the story of Kendrick growing up in Compton. Lyrics were on point and the production is stellar. I love almost every track on this album. The only song I would've left off the album would be Poetic Justice ft Drake because that song, I feel like, doesn't belong on this album and I also dislike Drake. One thing I was disappointed in was that Schoolboy Q and Ab-Soul wasn't on the album, though I can live with that. This is a future classic that deserves a 10. Expand
  94. Nov 1, 2012
    some great tracks and some really average ones. too much talk of 'sucking my d***' and fake talk of shooting guns for his lyrics to be top notch. he is very creative with his approach though. i wish i liked this more than i do.
  95. Oct 31, 2012
    An album to change a whole music genre. Much like Nas' Illmatic, it transcends all the influences from his favorite artists and simply creatively outdoes all of their releases in the last 10 years. By the way these rappers include, Jay-Z, Tupac, Eminem, Biggie and Nas.
  96. Oct 30, 2012
    classic hippy stuff... chose him for greatness from XXL fresh men 2011 and he's living up to the billing. it's been such a long time since we heard intelligent rap like this.
  97. Oct 29, 2012
    Kendrick Lamar is a lyrical genius. He's already on a higher level than 99% of the "rappers" out there and he's just getting started, he's only getting better and better, from Overly Dedicted to the unique and genius work he did in Section.80 and now his first studio album Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is flat out fire. Kendrick Lamar is the future of hip hop. Go buy this album, this man deserves the riches that are surely coming to him. 10/10 hands down. Expand
  98. Oct 29, 2012
    To be completely honest, this is the best rap album, possibly even any genre album, of this year. I understand that this is my opinion, however I am not alone on this. Based on the reviews I've read, every single one of the negative reviews had a blatant disregard for the concept of the album. If you listen to the story that the album tells, it all makes perfect sense. Even the braggadocios "Backseat Freestyle" fit in the context of the album and is tied in with the previous skit at the end of **** Don't Kill My Vibe." These skits do a fantastic job at making all of the songs relevant and manage to be quite humorous and entertaining at the same time. I'm not going to go over every song individually, but I will say that whether you listen to the album as a whole or if you listen to certain songs on their own, they are all still great songs. Overall, this album can be played through without skipping any tracks (even the Deluxe edition), has a nice concept, great lyrics, impeccable production (even though Dr. Dre did not actually produce any of the songs, you can still here his influence and his tweaks on the album), the album is incredibly cohesive, and finally, what I rate albums most on, I had a wonderful listening experience. Personally, I enjoyed this album just a little bit more than Section.80, however I love both projects from Kendrick. There's really not much more to say, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the album. As you may imagine, this album is a 10/10 for me. Simply an amazing album overall. I would recommend that everyone go out and support Kendrick as he and his Black Hippy conglomerates alongside with some of their other contemporaries such as Joey Bada$$'s Pro Era crew and even Odd Future and the A$AP Mob are bringing a refreshing new life to hip hop that we can really use right now. Expand
  99. Oct 28, 2012
    This is such a classic project lyrics, flow, production are all on point. The few people giving this album negative reviews don't understand the project as a whole. This is apparent from their reviews. For example many of these reviewers are upset about him saying how he hopes his dick becomes as big as the Eiffel Tower and him rapping about women money etc. These people are so caught up in the physical lyrics that they don't understand that when taken in context these lyrics are the exact opposite of how these people are taking it. When he says these **** things he is saying how in front of his friends they always try to be **** around each other and out do each other on things like women and money, but Kendrick isn't really like that that's just how he acts to be cool in front of his friends as noted in "The Art of Peer Pressure" By doing this Kendrick is actually doing the exact opposite of what the materialistic rappers that the negative reviewers are comparing him to. He is admitting his mistakes and how he is not really into the lifestyle of crime drugs, and drinking. (also see swimming pools where he mentions how he drank just to fit in and then drinking consumed his conscience.) Then later on in the album his life gets turned around and he strays away from the evils that peer pressure and Compton life has subjected on him. The album as a whole is an amazing story and experience. If you really want to get the most out of the album and understand it on another level I suggest you listen to the album all the way through without skipping any of the skits of voice mails this will let you understand how deep the album really is. This album is DEEP the people that think Kendrick has changed into a ****, materialistic rapper obviously are not sophisticated enough to understand all the motifs that this album touches upon. YOU NEED TO HEAR THE ALBUM ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!! Expand

1. Jan 24, 2013
    The quotidian problems and longings of the title track making up the real heart of the album, a rough and tumble struggle to the top.
  2. Jan 10, 2013
    In another rapper's hands the concepts might have been overcooked or the messages too self-righteous, but Kendrick manages to achieve scale while remaining firmly grounded on two feet.
  3. Dec 21, 2012
    This is the best rap album of 2012--not just because of champion verses and immaculate drops, but because they recognize that the most brilliant foreground only shines against a well-defined backdrop.