Handwritten - The Gaslight Anthem
8.2

Review this album

1. BKM
    Aug 1, 2012
    Handwritten is a tremendous rock record and an improvement on their previous release, American Slang. The band wears their hearts as well as their influences on their sleeve. The songs have the fire and passion of Springsteen and the raucous punk energy of The Replacements, but this is no mere tribute album. Handwritten is the work of a band coming into their own as true artists.
  2. Aug 26, 2012
    Since The 59' Sound was released, I've been a die-hard Gaslight fan. They're a fantastic band that I could recommend to anyone (which I've done already). Then American Slang came out and they went for a different sound. Not as great as The 59' Sound but nonetheless a great album. Now, we have Handwritten. An record that treads familiar ground from The 59' Sound, yet sounding completelySince The 59' Sound was released, I've been a die-hard Gaslight fan. They're a fantastic band that I could recommend to anyone (which I've done already). Then American Slang came out and they went for a different sound. Not as great as The 59' Sound but nonetheless a great album. Now, we have Handwritten. An record that treads familiar ground from The 59' Sound, yet sounding completely fresh. The opener "45" is one of the best opener's to an album this year. It creates this high energy that really sets the mood for each track to come. Brian's lyrics have always been very deep and personal, and he writes just that on Handwritten. Every track has a deep message in it and if you're like me, you'll relate to what he's saying. That's what makes a Gaslight Anthem record a record to be cherished. It connects with it's listeners. All In All, The Gaslight Anthem have yet to fail, which will probably never happen. Brian's lyrics and the guitar work are fantastic. One of the best this year. A Expand
  3. Aug 12, 2012
    Gassed Up

Handwritten is another 'mature' Gaslight Anthem album much in the mold of 'American Slang.' It is tight, well recorded, and sounds very much like a continuation of this record with a few, not so helpful, additions. Brendan O'Brien - who did so much to wreck Springsteen's recent output, is at the controls. Fallon seems to like him, but I sure don't. He makes Fallon's voice
    Gassed Up

Brendan O'Brien - who did so much to wreck Springsteen's recent output, is at the controls. Fallon seems to like him, but I sure don't. He makes Fallon's voice sound forced on nearly every track, and the vocals lack the colour and subtlety achieved on '59 Sound' and 'American Slang'. The band is still tight as a drum, but not as imaginative as on the previous two records. Also, Fallon is now very much the 'writer' and his self consciousness grates a bit.

That being said, the Gaslight are just full of energy, ideas, songs and sheer balls to blow away most bands. I particularly like 45, Mulholland Drive, Too Much Blood, Handwritten, etc. The covers at the end of the deluxe are good, but not essential except for fans.

They are a great live band, and are playing the UK behind this in the autumn. Very well worth seeing.
  4. Jul 25, 2012
    Heart tattooed on the sleeve American rock for 2012. Can hear shades of Pearl Jam and of course the Boss,but yet in their own niche. Bought it after work and i felt like Brian Fallon would approve of that. "45" is a roaring good rock song, handwritten and too much blood talk about pouring out your heart into a song. Biloxi Perish is a pounding blues tune and Here comes my Man'sHeart tattooed on the sleeve American rock for 2012. Can hear shades of Pearl Jam and of course the Boss,but yet in their own niche. Bought it after work and i felt like Brian Fallon would approve of that. "45" is a roaring good rock song, handwritten and too much blood talk about pouring out your heart into a song. Biloxi Perish is a pounding blues tune and Here comes my Man's shala-la-la sound classic. Mulholland Drive is a great number about love. National Anthem could go on Nebraska but it work here, to close the album.It's a great acoustic hymn about Murrica. Expand
  5. Aug 17, 2012
    The Gaslight Anthem have wandered from Bruce Springsteen to the Clash, but with Handwritten they finally have given us something uniquely theirs. The record starts of with "45" and just rocks through the fourteen tracks with heart and the occasional poetic touch added for a almost perfect record. TGA is on its way to becoming as great as their influences.
  6. Jul 30, 2012
    Really good album and good songs.this album says it all.it's handwritten with good songs.the best songs off this and recommend buying off itunes are,mae,45,handwritten,muholland drive.if you are a fan of rock and roll and blues.then buy this even if you are a Bruce Springsteen fan.
  7. Jul 26, 2013
    This is simply put an absolutely tremendous album. Brian Fallon's lyrics and vocals continue to be very impressive with neat guitar work woven in to the songs without overpowering the other instruments. Favourite songs on the album are: Mae, Handwritten, Desire and Mulholland. I recommend getting the bonus track Blue Dahlia as I can't believe it has only been released on the bonus album.

1. Aug 13, 2012
    Handwritten is The Gaslight Anthem's finest and most authoritative album. [28 Jul 2012, p.52]
  2. Aug 2, 2012
    After four albums of American girls, dirt roads and fingers in dust with the radio on, it's tough to overlook the clich├ęs.
  3. Aug 1, 2012
    Handwritten is pure New Jersey rock, dripping urban romanticism, albeit with extra oomph on the power chords. [Aug 2012, p.105]