Has Been - William Shatner
9.1

Review this album

1. May 1, 2011
    I listen to this album at least once a week. It is surprisingly good, and a breath of fresh air. I don't care whether it is cool or not, but I do know that it sounds good, it has great song writing, Ben Folds should be heartily congratulated for his efforts here.
  2. Jul 4, 2012
    I bought this record after hearing his version of Common People with Joe Jackson. Pulp's original version was always one of my favourite songs so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the version on this record. It's a fantastic opening and really is a whole new reintereptation of the track. The rest of the album is surprisingly good. I never imagined I'd enjoy a William Shatner record but the songs are all pretty clever and the collaborations are really good. That's Me Trying (with Ben Folds), Familiar Love and Together (with Lemonjelly) are the other highlights for me. Listen to it with an open mind and you'll find moments to enjoy. Expand

1. It's that sobering confessional quality that gives the album an unexpected dose of depth and grace.
  2. For an album I approached ready to shrug off as sheer novelty, its humor and candor give it a fair amount of staying power.
  3. The problem, of course, is that Shatner knows he’s Shatner now. And so does everyone else. It’s the joke that stops being funny after you hear the premise.