Heathen Chemistry

7.4

Review this album

1. TonyS
    Sep 18, 2005
    This is a good album by Oasis but when you're one of the all time greats, good isn't good enough. There are 6 classics on here but 4 very ordinary tunes a very short instrumental. The band produced the record themselves and apart from a few inspired moments, it's clear the boys should have got someone in, who knows what they're doing. The biggest crime is not knowing This is a good album by Oasis but when you're one of the all time greats, good isn't good enough. There are 6 classics on here but 4 very ordinary tunes a very short instrumental. The band produced the record themselves and apart from a few inspired moments, it's clear the boys should have got someone in, who knows what they're doing. The biggest crime is not knowing how to mix Liams vocals, he sounds too tame on certain tracks here, while Noels voice sounds too loud in the mix on some of his vocals. Overall, a good album but quite forgettable. Expand
  2. EricC
    Aug 14, 2007
    Pick up a guitar, put your fingers anywhere on the strings, and just strum that cord over and over. Than sing whatever the hell you want, or just whine in a singing voice, and you have as much creativity as a band like Oasis.
  3. Fred
    Jul 11, 2002
    This is a solid album with a great sound.
  4. WT
    Jul 11, 2002
    Best album of the year.
  5. StewartM.
    Jul 17, 2002
    Superb. Best album ever by Oasis. Liam at his best. Deserves all the aclaim it can muster. This is not pop its Oasis at their best. Fantastic lads, keep it up.
  6. JimB.
    Jul 7, 2002
    it's their best yet.
  7. wangl
    Feb 11, 2005
    no way sis' or bro!
  8. JimC.
    Oct 16, 2002
    Oasis is closer to a home run than ever before. "Little By Little" brings back fond memories of "Don't Look Back In Anger" albeit not quite there yet. A grower definitely!
  9. MartinB.
    Oct 8, 2002
    Let's be honest, Oasis never were a phenomenal band but on Heathen Chemistry, they get back to what they do best which is simple, melody driven 4-chord songs with simple messages. For the most part, the record is pretty enjoyable.
  10. HoHe
    Jul 3, 2002
    A modern masterpiece. A brilliant piece of post-modernist proletarian dispy-doodling. A must have. Music to live to; music to die to.
  11. MartyP.
    Jul 7, 2002
    To me, this one is not a classic, but it's Oasis at their best since What's the story Morning Glory. The band seems to have found their new direction. This one is Oasis where they are actually, in 2002, starting not a new chapter, but a new book of their music.
  12. MarkK.
    Aug 11, 2002
    Pathetic, annoying, and overall very poor album
  13. MikeJ.
    Aug 19, 2002
    Solid record. I like the further involvement of Liam contributing with some tunes. I have heard reviews very critical of some of the songs sung by Noel this time out. This is pretty much on the same level as Standing on the Shoulder of Giants. Not quite as good as Be Here Now, further below What's the Story Morning Glory, and alot behind Definitely Maybe. It is refreshing, however, Solid record. I like the further involvement of Liam contributing with some tunes. I have heard reviews very critical of some of the songs sung by Noel this time out. This is pretty much on the same level as Standing on the Shoulder of Giants. Not quite as good as Be Here Now, further below What's the Story Morning Glory, and alot behind Definitely Maybe. It is refreshing, however, that in the last two efforts, the band seems to be more about the music, not the hype and trying things. Some things that work and some that miss, but are admirable. I don't think this is a band that is done yet. Look for a better album the next time out, and that is not saying that this one is bad because it is far from being a bad record. Expand
  14. dannys
    Jul 7, 2003
    Top!!
  15. Sab
    Aug 29, 2003
    Songbird and stop crying your heart out are again oasis at their best. They're definitely back(but have they been gone anyway)
  16. TomasC
    Sep 26, 2003
    Shit... BLUR RULZ
  17. miked.
    Sep 5, 2003
    truly a great album, probably one of their best, Oasis is back finally, and anyone who thinks that this album sucks is not an oasis fan and never was. people who dont like this probably enjoy nsync or shakira better(fools). If u like alternative rock, buy this album
  18. JennyK
    Jul 23, 2004
    I know this album isn't as amazing as Definitely Maybe or Morning Glory, but that shouldn't detract from the fact that it's still a very good record. The highlight is "Little By Little," which sounds like a classic anthem that would fit nicely on Morning Glory.
  19. pm
    Sep 28, 2004
    this is a great album and if you like oasis its definetly the best since morning glory. Im a big fan of oasis and have seen them live many times. Its no Definetly Maybe but then again its impossible to recreate an album as brilliant as that. This album is easily enjoyable ,easy to understand and easy to sing along to, is that not what rock and roll is all about? If you want to listen to this is a great album and if you like oasis its definetly the best since morning glory. Im a big fan of oasis and have seen them live many times. Its no Definetly Maybe but then again its impossible to recreate an album as brilliant as that. This album is easily enjoyable ,easy to understand and easy to sing along to, is that not what rock and roll is all about? If you want to listen to calculator music and get depressed i would recommend most radiohead albums.Music is there to be enjoyed and make you feel good and thats what this album does.By the way i do like radiohead and have seen them ilve too , twice but its hardly uplifting music. Expand
  20. andreal
    Mar 20, 2005
    i think this album is fucking awesome! how can anyone rate this below an 8? oasis is comprised of musical geniuses!! i think that they are an amazing band and they are true musicians!
  21. JoshH
    Apr 1, 2005
    This is my least favourite Oasis album, but it is still better than almost any other rock album from the last 20 years.... The major problem is when Noel sings songs Liam should have been singing.... With the current production quality (almost too good) songs sung by Noel sound to shiney and overproduced, whereas if Liam sang "Force of Nature" and "Little By Little", this album would have This is my least favourite Oasis album, but it is still better than almost any other rock album from the last 20 years.... The major problem is when Noel sings songs Liam should have been singing.... With the current production quality (almost too good) songs sung by Noel sound to shiney and overproduced, whereas if Liam sang "Force of Nature" and "Little By Little", this album would have had the attitude and feeling to be a legitimate classic. The more Liam and the less Noel the better. Force nature would've gone from a boring pub song to a sneering exciting rocker.... Oh well. Lyla (from the upcoming album Don't Believe The Truth) finally sounds like the exciting days of Oasis are back, with an upbeat shuffle and carefree lyrics. Don't Believe The Truth will bring it all back for Oasis their fans; I am now sure of it after hearing Lyla...and it was not even supposed to be a single! Expand
  22. Joris
    Apr 7, 2005
    This album is quite good, not top but definitely not bad. Maybe because I'm not prejudiced by the fact that is't "Oasis" "again" like some defnintely are. Songbird, I love that song, simple but brilliant brings Wonderwall to mind. The Hindu Times sounds like Oasis' glorious days are back, but this is not for the whole album. I hope they will deliver something real stunning This album is quite good, not top but definitely not bad. Maybe because I'm not prejudiced by the fact that is't "Oasis" "again" like some defnintely are. Songbird, I love that song, simple but brilliant brings Wonderwall to mind. The Hindu Times sounds like Oasis' glorious days are back, but this is not for the whole album. I hope they will deliver something real stunning like their first 2 albums with the upcoming Don't Believe the Truth. Expand
  23. SteveK
    Mar 29, 2006
    Not bad like some songs solid it led htem to dont believe the truth which is awsomee so good job.
  24. Sean
    Apr 17, 2007
    Brilliant....Stop comparing everything to Definitely Maybe and look at it as just another album and it comes out brilliant
  25. Malk
    Jul 12, 2002
    poo oasis use the same damn riffs as every other song they have inflicted on an unwitting public. The combination of average music and cliched rhyming dictionairy lyrics combine to great effect to create what would have been an albumn of outstanding mediocraty if it had been a first albumn. This many years down the line and it's just the same old tat.
  26. CarineD
    Jul 28, 2002
    I think this is their best effort yet. Lyrically they have improved and there is much more variety in sound. I personally enjoy it and I stop being a fan when I saw them live with all their arrogance, but this album renewed my faith in them.
  27. mdssnake
    Jul 4, 2002
    A very poor effort at trying to regain old Oasis fans
  28. JB
    Aug 12, 2002
    Go away, please.
  29. JonC.
    Aug 21, 2002
    Best work since Morning Glory, and a breath of fresh air in a generally tired music scene in the US.
  30. RicardoM
    Oct 14, 2003
    Its a thrilling, provocative and superb new album of the mancunians. Songbird would fit perfectly in "Imagine" and Little by Little sound like an early Wings hit (and its a huge compliement).
  31. AmuntV
    Feb 21, 2003
    best uk band!
  32. heyhey
    Jun 15, 2003
    in my opinion all of the albums by oasis are equally amazing
  33. mikei
    Jul 17, 2003
    any time someone says something bad about oasis, notice that its never about their music.
  34. swany
    Jul 23, 2003
    Brilliant
  35. JasonD
    Mar 28, 2004
    About as disappointing as it can get. Noel Gallagher has never penned more below average songs than on Heathen Chemistry. Not to mention all of the stolen bits that plague the songs.
  36. JoshP
    Mar 30, 2004
    It's funny how Oasis fans blame bad reviews on "backlash" and cant accept that Heathen Chemistry is a very bland and average record by a band that is getting worse and worse with each album.
  37. JavierK
    Apr 14, 2004
    Ok, Ok, maybe this is not oasis at it's best, but it still is a freakin assome new album. Songbird it's fantastic, it's a song so beautiful and powerful at the same time, one of oasis best! Generally it's a great album, but it just doesn't have the same quality as the previous albums.
  38. TimE
    Jan 19, 2005
    Another solid record. There's a reason that Oasis were considered groundbreaking and this record just proves that they've still managed to live up to all their hype by creating some of the best music in their illustrious career!!!!!!!
  39. Morvit
    Apr 3, 2005
    This album was BAD. Oasis has just gone downhill ever since Be Here Now. It's better than SOTOG, but really, SOTOG is like a 2/10. I just heard Lyla, their latest single., and i thought that song sucked as well. I guess Oasis' dead. Maybe i should stop caring for them from now on. Mmm, when's the next album coming out again?
  40. ChrisG
    May 28, 2005
    Very good album, creep closer to that original greatness. 'Songbird,' 'The Hindu Times,' and 'Force of Nature' are all highlights. Liams two songs at the end of the album are also quite good.
  41. EthanC
    Jun 18, 2005
    I think it's a very good album...not their best but good. I admitt Morning Glory was very good and this isnt that good but still good, solid, and very enjoyfull music
  42. AdamE
    Nov 21, 2002
    Although it's not Oasis's best album it is quite enjoyable.
  43. dsd
    Dec 27, 2002
    awful, just awful
  44. JessicaB.
    Jul 12, 2002
    Heathen Chemistry reminds me of the Oasis I fell in love with 6 years ago. The new line up shines through in the music. It's right up there with the first two albums lyrically. I've got that feeling again, the feeling that Oasis really are the best out there.
  45. DaveL
    Aug 22, 2002
    So far....album of the year. No matter what they release, critics will always have their pre-conceived opinions about the band. Their best album since "Morning Glory".
  46. branden
    Jun 16, 2003
    ok songs but it seems like they are getting left behind. they need to find new ways to write songs.but before they do that, they need to grow up. all their tough talk isnt getting them anywhere.
  47. rachelw
    Aug 18, 2003
    It's absolutely unfair how some critics despise Oasis's music after '96. Sure it will never be such an amazing album as M.Glory so comparisons are cruel. Heathen Chemistry is Oasis's best album for a long time because as you listen you see how big they were, and how great they are. Doubtless!
  48. AK
    Aug 29, 2004
    Absolutely brilliant... she is love, stop crying your heart out, little by little... If oasis is your style of music or you've ever enjoyed an oasis song, buy this album. (or definitely maybe, morning glory, & be here now)
  49. seanj
    Jan 29, 2005
    pure brilliance,every song simple as that
  50. Givemeginandtonic
    Mar 22, 2005
    Their only fault was signing with Sony, if it werent for that I would have given it a nine. It was a horrible album for an Oasis album. It was still great though, perfect even. It was still far beyond the above average that most bands only dream of achieving. It was Oasis, but it was different, it was beautiful but it was mellow. It was perfect, but I still yearn for the old days, Their only fault was signing with Sony, if it werent for that I would have given it a nine. It was a horrible album for an Oasis album. It was still great though, perfect even. It was still far beyond the above average that most bands only dream of achieving. It was Oasis, but it was different, it was beautiful but it was mellow. It was perfect, but I still yearn for the old days, hopefully tunes like that of Be Here Now, Definitely Maybe, and WTSMG come back (even just a little) with the March 30th(?) release of Don't Believe the Truth. Expand
  51. KazzS
    May 18, 2005
    People are far too critical of Oasis. They still produce quality albums like this with some great songs such as Little by Little and Stop Crying Your Heart Out.
  52. RicoR
    Nov 28, 2006
    I'm tired of people giving this album a bad rap, its got some really great songs. I'm biased perhaps because I first saw oasis play live on the heathen Chemistry tour and I was blown away. These songs have a special place in my heart.
  53. evanj
    Dec 16, 2006
    This truly a great Oasis album. From the moment it starts to the end of Better Man you're constantly pulled into the album. The production and flow are amazing. Definately one of the most underrated albums ever.
  54. daven
    Sep 22, 2006
    Nobody in their right mind saw Oasis crashing and burning as much as they did after they released "Morning Glory". The first two CDs were absolutely brilliant, but then they released their third CD and it was crap. It didn't get much better after that. Finally comes Heathen Chemistry which offers a glimmer of hope into Oasis future. While it doesn't even compare to the greatness Nobody in their right mind saw Oasis crashing and burning as much as they did after they released "Morning Glory". The first two CDs were absolutely brilliant, but then they released their third CD and it was crap. It didn't get much better after that. Finally comes Heathen Chemistry which offers a glimmer of hope into Oasis future. While it doesn't even compare to the greatness of "Definitely Maybe" or "Morning Glory" its their best effort besides those two and that definitely provides some light in an otherwise black tunnel. Expand
  55. Sep 10, 2011
    Its not as immediately brilliant as morning glory or definitely maybe, but there are some fantastic songs on here! 'Force of nature' has a great edge to it, while s'top crying your heart out' and 'little by little' are captivating ballads. Pretty much every song is worth listening to again and again, overall the album is far better than it is given credit for
  56. Mar 13, 2012
    After the disappointment of Be Here Now and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, the singles that came off Heathen Chemistry really gave Oasis fans a lot of cause for optimism. The Hindu Times has the typical Oasis swagger in abundance, Stop Crying Your Heart Out is as sleek and smooth a ballad as you'll hear. Then you have Liam's surprisingly brilliant Songbird, not to mention Noels doubleAfter the disappointment of Be Here Now and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, the singles that came off Heathen Chemistry really gave Oasis fans a lot of cause for optimism. The Hindu Times has the typical Oasis swagger in abundance, Stop Crying Your Heart Out is as sleek and smooth a ballad as you'll hear. Then you have Liam's surprisingly brilliant Songbird, not to mention Noels double A-side Little By Little/ She is Love. Unfortunately outside of the singles, the rest of the album is a bit bland. Gem Archer and Andy Bells offering definitely take this album down a notch quality wise. Hung in a Bad Place and A Quick Peep are dreadful. If you replaced those tracks with 2 more Noel penned tracks it would have been a really good record. Instead, it's not bad. I also think if the best parts of this record was combined with the highlights of SotSoG, Oasis might have brought out a real classic. Expand
  57. Mar 8, 2013
    With Heathen Chemistry Oasis return to their typical sound, after the "experiments" of their previous album.
    It is a good album, but very far from their first two. However some songs are wonderful, especially Stop Crying Your Heart Out and Little By Little. I also like Probably All In The Mind and some others.
  58. Jan 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best Oasis album of the 2000's era, includes greatest rock song like The Hindu Times, Force of Nature & (Probably) All In The Mind, are greatest rock song, all the album is amazing,perfect, the best masterpiece & The 2nd. best Oasis album, after (What's The Story) Morning Glory?, i got nothing more to say, is perfect Expand
  59. Jul 22, 2014
    The weakest album by Oasis. Definitely not as great as "Standing on the Shoulder of Giants", but it tries. The best song of the album it's called "Songbird" and surprisingly, it's written by Liam. This song is a Lennonesque ballad with the simplicity of three chords and amazing lyrics. Another great tune in the album it's called "Stop Crying Your Heart Out", this one it's written by NoelThe weakest album by Oasis. Definitely not as great as "Standing on the Shoulder of Giants", but it tries. The best song of the album it's called "Songbird" and surprisingly, it's written by Liam. This song is a Lennonesque ballad with the simplicity of three chords and amazing lyrics. Another great tune in the album it's called "Stop Crying Your Heart Out", this one it's written by Noel and ignoring the similarity to Wonderwall , it's a great and motivational tune. So, this album it's not bad, but it's not great either. Expand

1. Pretty much the same Beatles-esque pub-rock with Middle Eastern punches you'd expect--though with more shared singing and songwriting duties than past outings have had.
  2. Heathen Chemistry gets back to what Oasis do well.
  3. While the electronic flourishes and arrogant bombast that respectively marred the band's last two efforts are thankfully gone, there's nothing on Heathen Chemistry to suggest that the "Wonderwall" commercial glory days of the mid-'90s are coming back.