Heritage - Opeth
7.6

Review this album

1. Sep 27, 2011
    Even though there's no death metal on here, this might easily become my favourite Opeth album! After the first listen, all the doubt I had before was washed away and I loved it! Sure, there's some spots where a growl would have fitted perfectly, but the album is heavy as hell even without enormous distortion and death metal growls.
  2. Feb 12, 2012
    In my opinion, this is the best album they have in what refers to sound quality. Even the bass guitar, the keyboard and all its sound effects sound cleaner and and more powerful than ever. It's a masterpiece.
  3. May 5, 2013
    I always liked Opeth's songs where no guttural singing was present, as i'm not a big fan of it. This album was definitely great for me. It is essentially Opeth's great songwriting with clean vocals for the entire album.
  4. Jun 29, 2013
    This album definitely is intriguing to say the least. This is not the first time Akerfeldt has completely ignored most of the fans wishes and delivered something completely "not Opeth", he had also done this with Damnation back in the early 2000's and somehow got away with it. I am still not quite sure why some fans are going at his throat for this one. Some fans simply do not understand that Opeth has always pushed the boundaries of the norm, even with the albums that they listen to and enjoy. This album has a brilliant mixture of classic prog, elements of jazz, blues and rock. And best of all (just my opinion), no metal is present. One could argue that a few of the riffs are "heavy", but that is beside the point. This album is an artistic masterpiece that just is not everyone's cup of tea. Akerfeldt stated quite clearly in the making-of documentary in the special edition that he writes music that he likes and wants to listen to. It may sound selfish, but why question someone that has already proven their abilities over the last 20 years? Expand

1. Jan 5, 2012
    The record's ADD can be felt with every unbridged leap between ideas to its shocking lack of transitions, and the whole time there is this pervading sense that Heritage doesn't really have anything to say at all.
  2. Oct 11, 2011
    While the album is often indulgent, this isn't necessarily a downfall.
  3. Oct 5, 2011
    Frontman Mikael Akerfeldt's material is sunnier than usual, but still has room for synapse-stimulating musicianship.