8.2

Review this album

1. Sep 20, 2013
    Hesitation Marks isn't industrial, and it's not really comparable in quality to earlier NIN albums. It lacks the harsh edge that made everything between Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth so great. Most importantly I want you to know that it isn't another The Fragile like I've seen some people comment online. That is delusional.

Overall Hesitation Marks is a bit too repetitive and feels

Overall Hesitation Marks is a bit too repetitive and feels generic given the unique sounds found on earlier NIN albums. What I loved about Trent's earlier work was his ability to evoke visceral emotions. Hesitation Marks is catchy but I don't actually feel anything listening to it. One thing that ticks me off is that the darkest and best track on the album is that freekin outro and it only lasts a minute and a half. It's a complete tease. It's like the album finally start to feel like it's getting somewhere awesome and then it just ends.

Don't bother with the extended version. 2x the cost for 3 weak remixes wasn't worth it. The album art was nice though.

It's better than Ghosts I-IV, but a weaker installment in the NIN discography.
  2. Sep 3, 2013
    Is this a bad album? No.
    Is this a good album? Sure.
    Is it a great album? No. Is it a Nine Inch Nails album? No! Gone are the type of songs from albums such as Pretty Hate Machine or Downward Spiral or The Fragile or With Teeth that had hard hitting personality riding passenger to those awesome Trent Reznor yells! So what, he's "no longer angry"! If you're not a band in the traditional
    Is this a bad album? No.
    Is this a good album? Sure.
    Is it a great album? No.
    Is it a Nine Inch Nails album? No!
    Gone are the type of songs from albums such as Pretty Hate Machine or Downward Spiral or The Fragile or With Teeth that had hard hitting personality riding passenger to those awesome Trent Reznor yells! So what, he's "no longer angry"! If you're not a band in the traditional sense, and NIN never was, then you don't have to call this a new "Nine Inch Nails" album. Nothing wrong with calling this the new "Trent Reznor" album. That's what it is to me. Not the Nine Inch Nails that changed the medium.
  3. Nov 19, 2013
    Not a bad album by any means. However, it's far from great. Wasn't a massive fan of any particular song on this album and quite a few of them felt a bit repetitive. If you're a fan of the band I'm sure you'll enjoy it though.
  4. Sep 7, 2013
    No one who likes electronic music can take this album seriously: it sounds incredibly outdated and, at times, amateurish, when it comes to the electronic patterns in the background. That being said, Hesitation Marks has a beautiful timing it manages to consistently do the right thing at the proper time, shifting pace and saturation whenever it is necessary. For this reason it is best toNo one who likes electronic music can take this album seriously: it sounds incredibly outdated and, at times, amateurish, when it comes to the electronic patterns in the background. That being said, Hesitation Marks has a beautiful timing it manages to consistently do the right thing at the proper time, shifting pace and saturation whenever it is necessary. For this reason it is best to listen to it from beginning to end, without skipping between tracks (despite some of them, like I Would For You, being enjoyable even out of context). Expand
  5. Jul 21, 2014
    If this was a debut, I would say the album was good but he has far more potential.
    A couple of good tracks, but nothing moving or very memorable.. just rather bland, with some cringeworthy lyrics at times. Come back Haunted was the first track I had heard, which was a rather Trent-by-numbers generic first attempt at a new single.
    Did I really care if this album sounded less like the

Did I really care if this album sounded less like the NIN of old? Not at all. I just cared if I lost interest, which I did at times. I believe a shorter album would have given more of an impact. Something felt missing, and no, I don't mean guitars, but it felt like a compilation of b-sides more than anything.
    Unlike some bands however Trent still shows more experimenting with a wider range of instruments and is honest by questioning himself where he is going in his music and as to whether he truly has become a copy of a copy of a copy... ;)

1. Jan 27, 2014
    Five years away hasn't damaged their ability to wow and Hesitation Marks puts Trent Reznor's soundtrack albums into context; here, he sounds at his very best and right where he belongs. [Oct 2013, p.108]
    The techno-noir sonic palette here is as eclectic as ever. [Oct 2013, p.90]
  3. Oct 18, 2013
    It was a given that Hesitation Marks would provide Nine Inch Nails with a future. But what's so impressive here is that it's given then a future every bit as promising as their illustrious past. [31 Aug 2013, p.52]