Hesitation Marks - Nine Inch Nails
8.2

Review this album

1. Aug 1, 2014
    I really love this new Nine Inch Nails album because of the dark overtones associated with it. I am reviewing the normal version and not the deluxe.

The Eater Of Dreams/Copy Of A (9) This track has great use of dark electronica and it does a great job of changing the beat and tone throughout the piece to keep it dynamic. The title of the track really hits home with me on how I used to feel, about how I just was another person in the world and how life gets more boring the older you get.

Came Back Haunted (9.5) I am really glad they made this song their single because of what I did see on the 0ther s!de. And I really never have been the same, especially when I walk into that bathroom. Anyway, the song has a great beat and I really hate the Jersey Shore people but it does have a good fist pumping tone to it. #Suicide #Knife #Scars #Crosses

Find My Way (9) I think it's a great artistic touch on how Nine Inch Nails slows down the tempo of their album with this piece. The incorporation of the Piano is a great element and it reminds me of one of my favorite songs 'The Day The Whole World Went Away.' The ending of the song is my favorite part, and I'm not saying it's bad.

All Time Low (8.5) This track is really cool I think because of the creepy beginning and how it takes off. It has a beat element of Hip Hop in it which really makes it enticing to my ear. The harmonic part of this track is my favorite part. The instrumentals that fade out the track are good.

Disappointed (8.5) Another good track that has a Hip Hop beat incorporated within it. The grungy guitar is a good element as well I think. Reznor sounds a little whiny in the track but it's fine because that is art, and the track picks up later anyway and that's what saved the 8.5.

Everything (8) This song is pretty good. It has a more mainstream flair than most of Nine Inch Nails's material. There is nothing that really stands out to me though. I'm not really upset about it though because they can play the guitar better than me. The incorporation of more electronica near the end really helps the track pick up.

Satellite (9) The coolest thing about this track is the unique beat I think. It is more melodic than the tracks before it and when the electric guitar kicks it it really starts sounding really good. The chorus is also catchy and it really makes the song one of the best on the album. The ending adds a great new dimension to the song as well.

Various Methods Of Escape (8.5) This track kicks off with another good beat to blend an alternative Rock sound with Hip Hop. The chorus is the best part of this song I think because the other parts are pretty conservative in their tones until later in the song, but the song still sounds good.

Running (8.5) This song is interesting. Especially when the guitar part that sounds like 'electro fart!ng' in groups of two comes in. It has a dark calming sound that really adds a good track to this album. But I really despise running alot. #DanceDanceRevolution

I Would For You (8.5) Another Nine Inch Nails track that I think is really good. The chorus is my favorite part along with heavier guitar parts that are associated with the track. The Piano incorporated at the end is also really good because Piano's have black and white keys. #YangAndYin #EndRacism

In Two (9) The tempo on this track is really great and it is my favorite non mainstream track on the album along with Satellite. Talking about the tempo some more, it really does a great job of slowing down and speeding up which makes the track very unique because it incorporates a multitude of sounds for the listener.

While I'm Still Here/Black Noise (8.5) This sound is great way to wrap up the album. My favorite part is the incorporation of the trumpets which gives the album a minor jazzy flair which I thought was really cool. The ending of this track(s) is very dark and mysterious and really closes the album on an evol note.
  2. Jul 29, 2014
    "Hesitation Marks" is a CLASSIC Nine Inch Nails CD that stands on its own meritm
    People should stop comparing it previous releases. Trent Reznor is older now and at a happier stage of his life.
  3. Jul 10, 2014
    10 month after it´s release it has grown to one of my favourite nin-albums. it offers such a bassy-deep sound-structure that you are never bored. i would love to get the instrumentals too.
  4. Sep 27, 2013
    Having listened to this album pretty much non stop from release date, I'm still not tired of it. This is Reznor's best album since 1999's The Fragile. Boasting a more electronic sound than his last few albums, at times almost danceable, with undeniable nods to Prince at times, but still with great dark undertones. Highlights include In Two, All Time Low and Find My Way. Best album releasedHaving listened to this album pretty much non stop from release date, I'm still not tired of it. This is Reznor's best album since 1999's The Fragile. Boasting a more electronic sound than his last few albums, at times almost danceable, with undeniable nods to Prince at times, but still with great dark undertones. Highlights include In Two, All Time Low and Find My Way. Best album released in a year of great albums. Expand
  5. Sep 5, 2013
    One thing I learned after listening to Nine Inch Nails for 8 years is every album stands alone. The new album Hesitation Marks comes after front man Trent Reznor 2 EPs and a full album with his new band How to Destroy Angels and composing 2 soundtracks with his Atticus Ross. The first time I listened to his first Nine Inch Nails album in 5 years and all those projects he did in betweenOne thing I learned after listening to Nine Inch Nails for 8 years is every album stands alone. The new album Hesitation Marks comes after front man Trent Reznor 2 EPs and a full album with his new band How to Destroy Angels and composing 2 soundtracks with his Atticus Ross. The first time I listened to his first Nine Inch Nails album in 5 years and all those projects he did in between those years seeing him go nearly full electronic did not surprise me at all, but this is a Nine Inch Nails album. One thing that stood out to me though was his voice this might have been the most range I've heard from him ever. He said in multiple interviews he was thinking of the Downward Spiral when he wrote this record and it shows, but I also heard some influences of Radiohead's Kid A (especially in the track Disappointed) and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack. Fans will probably be as much divided on this album as most their other albums especially after the reaction of hearing Everything. This album isn't like With_Teeth where its guitar dominated and you won't feel like you're going insane like the Downward Spial, but this album is great. To be honest though I've never heard Trent say he was proud of an album before, so you should be to if you've been a NIN fan for this long. If not well he probably won't care. Expand
  6. Sep 3, 2013
    Trent Reznor hasn't so openly embraced pop melodies and dance-able structures like this since 1989's Pretty Hate Machine. Hot off the heels of an Academy Award win and other score nominations, this is a record fusing dance, restrained yet sweeping vocals, and fine musicianship of Lindsay Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac), Alessandro Cortini (modwheelmood), Peter Paladins, and Adrian Belew (KingTrent Reznor hasn't so openly embraced pop melodies and dance-able structures like this since 1989's Pretty Hate Machine. Hot off the heels of an Academy Award win and other score nominations, this is a record fusing dance, restrained yet sweeping vocals, and fine musicianship of Lindsay Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac), Alessandro Cortini (modwheelmood), Peter Paladins, and Adrian Belew (King Crimson).

It's every genre but never quite any one genre per song.
  7. Sep 3, 2013
    Given the singles that had come I made sure to steer clear of any other leaks to keep the album a surprise. Boy was it a pleasant surprise! so many soundscapes and so many different moods and atmospheres captured in different and exciting ways. with that signature Trent Reznor sound to the music. I was so thoroughly impressed, I love this album even after my third listen beginning to end.Given the singles that had come I made sure to steer clear of any other leaks to keep the album a surprise. Boy was it a pleasant surprise! so many soundscapes and so many different moods and atmospheres captured in different and exciting ways. with that signature Trent Reznor sound to the music. I was so thoroughly impressed, I love this album even after my third listen beginning to end. Trent still has it's bite and this album stands tall in the Nine Inch Nails catalog. Expand
  8. Sep 3, 2013
    one word: Awesome. come expecting to hear a new album not a new NIN old style album, experimenting and using rock, electronic and new pop tunes, melting them with industrial sounds makes this album something of mix between the fragile and pretty hate machine, with the ghost of with teeth and tds in between, great album as a whole, good NIN music. Various methods of scape! My favorite songone word: Awesome. come expecting to hear a new album not a new NIN old style album, experimenting and using rock, electronic and new pop tunes, melting them with industrial sounds makes this album something of mix between the fragile and pretty hate machine, with the ghost of with teeth and tds in between, great album as a whole, good NIN music. Various methods of scape! My favorite song of the album with copy of a came back haunted and I would for you, all time low and hehe, everything. Expand
  9. Sep 3, 2013
    Trent does it again. Delivers an awesome album, with many instant classics such as "Find my way", "Came back haunted" and "Copy Of A". The whole album is filled with details, amazing production, feels futuristic and reminds of classic NIN at the same time. Some will miss the heavy guitars, but after the rocking "The Slip", the band took exactly the opposite direction, making an almost 100%Trent does it again. Delivers an awesome album, with many instant classics such as "Find my way", "Came back haunted" and "Copy Of A". The whole album is filled with details, amazing production, feels futuristic and reminds of classic NIN at the same time. Some will miss the heavy guitars, but after the rocking "The Slip", the band took exactly the opposite direction, making an almost 100% electronic album, which is a good thing, one time he's covering new ground. Buy it immediatly, in an era of saturated electronic music, this is a electronica masterpiece Expand

1. Jan 27, 2014
    Five years away hasn't damaged their ability to wow and Hesitation Marks puts Trent Reznor's soundtrack albums into context; here, he sounds at his very best and right where he belongs. [Oct 2013, p.108]
    The techno-noir sonic palette here is as eclectic as ever. [Oct 2013, p.90]
  3. Oct 18, 2013
    It was a given that Hesitation Marks would provide Nine Inch Nails with a future. But what's so impressive here is that it's given then a future every bit as promising as their illustrious past. [31 Aug 2013, p.52]