House of Balloons

8.8

Review this album

1. May 8, 2011
    I expected a lot more from this album. I got such great critic reviews. Now I wonder if they were listening to the album with the speakers turned off or someone with a gun to their head forcing them to write a great review. Sure, maybe some people like songs all about sex, drugs, and violence, but it gets boring after a while. I actually thought that the singer was a woman at first. ThereI expected a lot more from this album. I got such great critic reviews. Now I wonder if they were listening to the album with the speakers turned off or someone with a gun to their head forcing them to write a great review. Sure, maybe some people like songs all about sex, drugs, and violence, but it gets boring after a while. I actually thought that the singer was a woman at first. There is something off with that. The only song worth listening to is the first track "High For This". Other than that, don't bother with it. Expand
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    The production on each track is pretty good in a vacuum, but that's because they all sound the same in my opinion. To me this album sounds like one really long song that just drags on forever. The beats have to change up at SOME POINT, right? I find this kind of boring. A few great moments in the album, but the only time I listen to any track except Wicked Games and maybe The Party & TheThe production on each track is pretty good in a vacuum, but that's because they all sound the same in my opinion. To me this album sounds like one really long song that just drags on forever. The beats have to change up at SOME POINT, right? I find this kind of boring. A few great moments in the album, but the only time I listen to any track except Wicked Games and maybe The Party & The After Party is when I'm taking a midday nap..not even joking Expand
  3. Jun 6, 2011
    I just didn't get the hype. I agree with Stuie, musically it's a little above average and lyrically it's sub-par. I downloaded it for free off of their website, and I got what I paid for.
  4. Dec 15, 2011
    With massive collaborations and critical love, The Weeknd hype was trend this year, almost like Drake's debut So Far Gone. I have to say I had high expectations mainly because of this, and while the House of Balloons is not bad it is just safe. The Weeknd sounds just like Drake 2.0 to me right now.
  5. Jul 26, 2011
    Over hyped. Production by Doc is up to his usual standards but considering his experience (he's done tracks for britney spears to MSTRKFT) this can't be considered a debut. Vocals and lyrics are utterly forgettable. Typical R&B with dark production.

1. Dec 21, 2011
    It's no turning point in a field populated by dozens of elder space cadets and mood architects, from Massive Attack to Spacek to Sa-Ra. As a flawed first step from a young newcomer, however, it's impressive.
  2. While overall House of Balloons carries a chilling vibe, it proceeds to rock the listener with exciting tempos and relaxing melodies that intertwine to form a beautiful piece of art.
  3. Aug 3, 2011
    For what The Weeknd have produced, regardless of what genre it is or isn't, is a very good record.