• Record Label: Sony
  • Release Date: Nov 23, 2009
6.2

Review this album

1. Nov 8, 2010
    Not too shabby for a 48 year old. Her covers on some songs are amazing, particularly 'I Dreamed A Dream' and 'Wild Horses'.
    Her original song 'Who I was Born to Be' is very meaningful and very perfect for SuBo to sing.
    All in all, a pretty good album, I can say.
  2. Feb 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beautiful voice. Beautiful woman. It was love at first sight. I wish I could see her live. I wish she would cover The Go-Between's "The Statue", or The Blue Nile's "Downtown Lights". Expand

1. There are some lovely vocal performances here and some well-appointed and understated arrangements. But not one of Boyle’s versions transcends the original or adds much of an emotional shading, other than a consistent undercurrent of melancholy that makes the album feel increasingly drab.
  2. For fans of Boyle's original Britain's Got Talent clip, the result might be a bit of a letdown, especially in snoozily competent versions of 'Daydream Believer' and Madonna's 'You'll See,' which offer none of her jarred-lightning charm.
  3. Boyle is perfectly comfortable singing actual hymns like 'Amazing Grace,' though her take on them is pretty much on a level with any local church's choir star. She's at her worst when she pushes harder; she doesn't know how to build drama, and her throat seems to constrict as she reaches for bigger notes.