7.0

Review this album

1. PercyP
    Mar 25, 2003
    I still can't tell if "I get wet" is: a) a joke that he refuses to drop b) a joke that he's not in on c) a sincere and rocking attempt to get america back on the rock music. I think it's a little bit of everything and it's very excellent.
  2. JeremyL
    May 7, 2003
    Andrew W. K. is the best. I love his music. I hope he makes another album.
  3. PeterM
    Nov 8, 2006
    Any album that gets a 0.6 from Pitchfork Media has to be good!
  4. Johnny
    Apr 22, 2006
    Listen, if the listeners have fun then the music is fun. I've seen him live 3 times and he gives you your money's worth every time. This is one of my favorite albums of all time.
  5. KevinG
    Apr 14, 2002
    It comes down to how it makes you feel. No anger, tough guy antics. Pure fun and adrenaline.
  6. PsychoMantis
    Apr 28, 2002
    I, for one, enjoy the album. I know I'll get scoffed at for praising it but i like it a lot. However, whichever reviewer said that "all the songs are Party Hard" they do, for better or worse, all sound pretty similar. Variety it lacks, Energy it doesnt. Throw this disc in and whether you want to be in a pissed off raging mood or a happy, eccentric mood this will get you there. The I, for one, enjoy the album. I know I'll get scoffed at for praising it but i like it a lot. However, whichever reviewer said that "all the songs are Party Hard" they do, for better or worse, all sound pretty similar. Variety it lacks, Energy it doesnt. Throw this disc in and whether you want to be in a pissed off raging mood or a happy, eccentric mood this will get you there. The keyboards adds to the feel of happy carefreeness while the hard guitars and lyrics add to the rage, so whichever you prefer, it's there. I can understand why some people wouldn't enjoy the album though, "monotony" "lame" these words might be used by some, i understand that. For me and my friends we totally get into the sounds of AWK though, maybe not for everyone but i give it a thumbs up, i'd borrow the CD or download a couple songs before purchasing, if ya like the sound of them a lot, go buy the album, if not, don't. Simple. Expand
  7. JosephC.
    Jul 8, 2002
    The Hives, White Stripes, The Vines, and Andrew W.K. are the four ballsiest artists in the industry today. A.W.K. does a great job of fusing industrial beats, piano, bellowing vocals and heavy guitars in to a symphony of pure adrenaline filled madness. I couldn't ask for a better album in my CD changer...okay aside from The Who's "Who's Next".
  8. IanG
    Jan 8, 2004
    Cometh the year, cometh the Darkness. But Andrew WK did it first, revitalising metal in a way that has to be heard to be believed. To list the highlights is really to list all but a couple of the tracks (the last one's a bit suspect), but the title track is a work of genius, and 'Party Hard' deserves to be an even bigger anthem than it is.
  9. brandonf
    Oct 3, 2006
    sick album
  10. KeithW
    Jul 21, 2006
    Gold! From the interview with the onion: Every melody line is composed of like 40 sounds combined. I did not want it to be the sound of a guitar and drums and bass playing. I wanted it to be the sound of the song playing, so you just hear one big, massive instrument grinding out this song. You can imagine it sort of all coming from one enormous source, where you just hear an infinite Gold! From the interview with the onion: Every melody line is composed of like 40 sounds combined. I did not want it to be the sound of a guitar and drums and bass playing. I wanted it to be the sound of the song playing, so you just hear one big, massive instrument grinding out this song. You can imagine it sort of all coming from one enormous source, where you just hear an infinite expanse of a million things all happening in perfect unison, all laid out in front of you. Perfect description! Expand
  11. EzraD
    Mar 10, 2008
    You get into this album by laughing at its ridiculousness. Then, by the sheer force of AWK's sincerity, you begin to love it, and you love it genuinely.
  12. FilazaferW.
    Apr 13, 2002
    If you like heavy rock you have to like this album. If you don't then you take your music way to seriously. I want to jump up and headbang everytime I listen to it. No music has done that to me since Metallica was actually cool.
  13. Tap
    Apr 15, 2002
    Every now and then someone comes along with a sound so different, so unique, so revolutionary that it changes that it freakin rearranges the mountains on the rock landscape. This is a fun album to listen to until that record comes around.
  14. JackA-Dandy
    Apr 26, 2002
    If you're looking for the shortest, best summary of "I Get Wet", Kevin G above gives it perfectly. I however, might ramble and "justify" AWK -- being a big fan of more cerebral bands, such as Fugazi, David Bowie, Radiohead, Clinic, Tool and Bjork. People who have a problem with AWK and "I Get Wet" generally tend to point out the repetitious use of words like "party, kill, up," and so If you're looking for the shortest, best summary of "I Get Wet", Kevin G above gives it perfectly. I however, might ramble and "justify" AWK -- being a big fan of more cerebral bands, such as Fugazi, David Bowie, Radiohead, Clinic, Tool and Bjork. People who have a problem with AWK and "I Get Wet" generally tend to point out the repetitious use of words like "party, kill, up," and so on. They claim that AWK is a stone's throw away from the hair-metal of the 80's. There is some truth to this, BUT WAIT...! Are not T.Rex, Cheap Trick, Ramones, Slade, Kiss, AC/DC and many other bands "close to hair-metal"? They sure are, and if you need any proof, ask bands like Poison who their influences are and I'll be damned if at least one or two of the above bands aren't mentioned. Does "Andy" like Bay City Rollers? Maybe, and so did/does The Ramones... A LOT! Do I like Cage, Penderecki, Stockhausen and Legeti? Heck yeah! Do I like Andrew W.K.? Truely I do. Do I enjoy AWK because I'm a wuss, musically, and just enjoy these brainy artists, and thusly find AWK to be "heavy" due to this? Some of my "other" favorites include Sepultura, ol' skool Metallica, Fantomas and so on. Does AWK explain away school shootings, hate crimes, genocide and other (tried, read "tired") things "Rock & Roll" stars have no real right to pretend to fully understand, let alone provide answers for? No he doesn't. He sings about enjoying life. He sings about seeing that girl at the bar who you want to get to know, but are too shy to approach (only to regret it so much so, that days later you're writing heavy metal love songs about her -- as in, "She Is Beautiful"). Andrew sings about how he's let himself down at various points in his life, but has vowed now to never stop, endure and thus persevere. Does it at times get too be "too much"? Too much joy? Too much "fun"? Too much encouragement to "just do it"? Maybe... but is that really so wrong? Lastly, I've recently seen AWK in concert. A group of about 4-5 teenagers were there to see the other bands at the show, and were calling Andrew the, "Party #$@%er," and said it was crock-rock (before the show). They had hoped he'd be last on the bill, but he was the middle act, and they were greatly angered. Halfway through Andrew W.K.'s set, they were all dancing and jumping around, and one yelled out to the others, "He's just too nice to hate!" I kid you not. I own James Brown's Live at the Apollo [1963] -- I've seen the scenes at Bill Halley & The Comets in Germany, starting riots. By the end of AWK's show in a measly 300-400 people club outside West Palm Beach, Florida... those kids, and half the people at the show, were up on stage LIFTING ANDREW ABOVE THEIR HEADS AS IF HE WERE THEIR NEW LEADER!!! "He's just too nice to hate." Expand
  15. Dethsta
    Apr 29, 2002
    Every time I listen to this album . . . I feel like I'm throwing all the education I've ever received out the window . . . and it feels good. Sure all the beats are exactly the same . . . and the words just might as well be rah rah rah . . . but this is well done rah rah rah. Who is to say that music has to be deep . . . and why does singing have to be more than just sounds that Every time I listen to this album . . . I feel like I'm throwing all the education I've ever received out the window . . . and it feels good. Sure all the beats are exactly the same . . . and the words just might as well be rah rah rah . . . but this is well done rah rah rah. Who is to say that music has to be deep . . . and why does singing have to be more than just sounds that add to the song. Why compare to every thing else you've ever heard . . . if you feel yourself nod your head a little when your listening to the song, then it's all you need. Music has meaning way beyond the lyrics . . . and a lot of times it's what you make of it. If you looking to this for the meaning of life or love, you're going to be dissappointed . . . but maybe that's not the albums fault. Expand
  16. Dethsta
    Apr 29, 2002
  17. LilliLovesEm
    Jun 14, 2002
    he's hot, he raps great, and he's funny....what else do ya want?
  18. MattB.
    Jul 7, 2002
    i'd give this cd a rating of over 10 this cd majorly kicks ass, each song is catchy as hell. How can you not like this cd? It is way to catchy to not be liked by anyone. Anyone who dislikes this cd needs to get slapped. Thank you.
  19. MichaelE.
    Aug 19, 2002
    If you realize that even he doesn't take his style of music that seriously, it's one of the most enjoyable rock albums ever.
  20. ElaineB
    Aug 3, 2002
    He has such a blast onstage. I love it! And, A is beautiful, intelligent, personable and an all around nice guy. See him live! Anyone who doesn't like it has too much anger and doubt in their lives and themselves! The best thing to come along in many, many years!! He makes the world a better place.
  21. TRG
    Sep 9, 2007
    The genius isn't apparent until you realize there isn't an ironic bone in AWK's body.
  22. JesseM
    Jul 3, 2009
    This is the "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" of amazing albums. There's no way I can listen to this and be in a bad mood. It's absolutely ridiculous-- "I love New York City! Oh yeah! New York City!"-- and he knows it. I mean, for God's sake, look at the damned track titles. It's a tongue-firmly-in-cheek homage to 80s hair bands, and is so much fun that it deserves a This is the "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" of amazing albums. There's no way I can listen to this and be in a bad mood. It's absolutely ridiculous-- "I love New York City! Oh yeah! New York City!"-- and he knows it. I mean, for God's sake, look at the damned track titles. It's a tongue-firmly-in-cheek homage to 80s hair bands, and is so much fun that it deserves a special place in everyone's libraries full of depressing pop. Expand
  23. Justin
    Aug 2, 2009
    The fact that he hit himself in the face with a brick for the album artwork really says it all. I'm not sure what my favorite track is. Maybe it's "It's Time to Party" or "Party Til You Puke." But it's probably "Party Hard," which is probably about as good as "Love Live the Party" and "PARTY PARTY PARTY" combined.
    Apr 13, 2002
    best album ever
  25. MattS
    Jul 13, 2004
    Andrew WK friggin rules. The cd makes me so happy every time I see it spinning and playing wonderful sounds. Andrew WK for life. I love you Andrew. Thank You.
  26. ChloeJ
    Apr 28, 2009
    I loved this album. I know the lyrics aren't very deep but I don't think all albums need to be "symbolic" or have metaphors for everything. Sometimes people need that fun album to work out to.
  27. Feb 23, 2015
    It's a twelve course meal where cheesy metal is the only thing on the menu and it's all served loud. Don't listen to this guy for a deep and thoughtful experience - just turn the volume up to ten and party down.

1. So then, what is the excuse for a typically elitist music nerd to bow to Andrew WK's blistering tard-rock? That's right, folks: there isn't one.
  2. At its best, WK's music is a refreshing blast of skanky air on the current stale music scene, but at its worst, it's disappointingly monotonous, unoriginal, and very, very dumb.
    Those in search of a gloriously moronic keg-party soundtrack will wet themselves with pleasure. [Apr/May 2002, p.112]