6.6

Review this album

1. Jul 2, 2014
    Kodaline seem to have sifted through every band that have been successful playing soft rock over the last 10 years and taken bits from each of them to make "In a Perfect World". The likes of The Script and Two Door Cinema Club comes to mind but the bands big influences seems to be Coldplay and later Snow Patrol. Kodaline have tunes to boot and the slick production makes the album highlyKodaline seem to have sifted through every band that have been successful playing soft rock over the last 10 years and taken bits from each of them to make "In a Perfect World". The likes of The Script and Two Door Cinema Club comes to mind but the bands big influences seems to be Coldplay and later Snow Patrol. Kodaline have tunes to boot and the slick production makes the album highly listenable although the album lacks any real spirit or identity. The level of songwriting is very good if completely unoriginal and while singer Steven Garrigan has a nice voice, he doesn't ever mix the delivery up and lets things go stale as the album progresses. For every good thing about this album there is a corresponding negative. If your aware of any music released prior to 2010 you might be bored, but if your a young person starting to get into music you'll find plenty to enjoy. Expand
  2. Jun 12, 2014
    I am giving this a 9 b/c of what this band could be. The album is really a 6 or 7 but they are talented enough that all the 2 and 3 star reviews need balanced out.
  3. Apr 16, 2014
    I love how people are easily blinded by how glossily and slickly produced the songs are and just how good the melodies of the songs sound. But if you delve in deeper in the album, nearly everything in the album is cliched and overdone. The lyrics are painfully generic; "If you loved me/Why'd you leave me/Take my body/Take my body" in "All I Want" makes me cringe, to be honest, the melodiesI love how people are easily blinded by how glossily and slickly produced the songs are and just how good the melodies of the songs sound. But if you delve in deeper in the album, nearly everything in the album is cliched and overdone. The lyrics are painfully generic; "If you loved me/Why'd you leave me/Take my body/Take my body" in "All I Want" makes me cringe, to be honest, the melodies basically are just as overdone as the lyrics. This album is clearly radio-friendly, probably that's why it appeals to any casual listener, but it's just not my cup of tea. 3/10 Expand
  4. Feb 6, 2014
    Genre: Alternative
    Kodaline's debut release seems to have come in for a lot of criticism in the press but there are far, far worse albums in the charts at present. Admittedly it doesn't do anything particularly new and a few of the songs are a little bland but, thanks to songs such as High Hopes and All I Want, it offers a great piece of easy listening to sit back and chill out to.
  5. Oct 15, 2013
    Utterly bland middle of the road music suitable only for background music in cafes, elevators, shopping malls, etc. No real creativity found here, only the results of studying extra hard on 'how to write insipid indie music 101' lessons.
    Every song feels painstakingly crafted; not to convey any real feeling but to manipulate and coerce the listener into feeling something heart-wrenching. But it is so painfully obvious that you are being duped because Kodaline are unable to collectively gather a shred of real emotion with which to back up their songs. They must have High Hopes indeed if they think anyone will remember them by the time album two arrives and the music world has gotten over this infection of emo-indie whingers; see Passenger, 1975, etc.
  6. Oct 13, 2013
    Whilst nearly every track is listenable and inoffensive, maybe that is the problem. All is mellow, bland and radio friendly here. Hardly fresh or unique. Blah.
  7. Jul 16, 2013
    Kodaline's heartwrenching debut album is absolutely fantastic, and is my favorite of 2013 (so far, that is. Arcade Fire's new album is still yet to come out). The Irish four-piece initially grabbed my attention last year with "All I Want," and their first album did not disappoint. Every song on the record is amazing in its own right, none more so than "High Hopes" which I have been unableKodaline's heartwrenching debut album is absolutely fantastic, and is my favorite of 2013 (so far, that is. Arcade Fire's new album is still yet to come out). The Irish four-piece initially grabbed my attention last year with "All I Want," and their first album did not disappoint. Every song on the record is amazing in its own right, none more so than "High Hopes" which I have been unable to stop listening to for the past few days. This album is a bit like if Keane, early Coldplay, Bon Iver, and early Radiohead came together and had a musical baby, with sorrowful, heartfelt lyrics, layered and non-synthetic music, and anthemic choruses (in spite of what some deaf critics claim). Honestly, the only thing I don't like about the record is that it remains unavailable stateside until october. Fortunately, Grooveshark contains the album, and International orders are a thing. I highly recommend the album, and it still boggles my mind that the critics can hate it so much. WARNING: tissues may be required when listening to this after a rough day. It's that good. Collapse

1. Oct 8, 2013
    The album is just full of songs that don’t hit and seemingly don’t even try.
  2. Jun 20, 2013
    All told, there's a lot of bodice-ripping emotion to take in, and it's this, rather than the lack of original ideas, that makes In a Perfect World hard to take in large doses.
    With time, greater individuality will come. Right now, this is an accomplished and emotive statement of intent, cinematic in scope and able to raise goose bumps at will.