Indicud - Kid Cudi
6.5

Review this album

1. Apr 19, 2013
    This album is the perfect blend of his dreamy, spacey, 2009 effort MM:TEOD, and dark, chilling works of MMII: TLOMR, Indicud is an execeptional masterpiece true fusion of alternative, and hip hop, cudi's production skills are also very good. Plus the guests are all very high profile (Wu tang's RZA, A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar). Favorite tracks are Beez ft RZA, Brothers ft. A$AP Rocky, King Chip, Just What I am ft. King Chip, and Solo Dolo pt II ft Kendrick Lamar Expand
  2. Apr 21, 2013
    Indicud is a perfect blend of light and dark. It's unique sounds and Cudi's tone is what blows you away. Starts off determined with the track and ends happy with the "Afterwards (Bring Your Friends) track. The Man on the Moon has found his peace last. To me Indicud is a mixture of MOTM1, MOTM2, and WZRD. But this time Cudder attempts to inspire you with the "Once you learn you can do anything, you can fly, nobody can touch you" skit. Cudder is beginning to lead, and he is trying to be a better role model. Indicud is the beginning of Cudi's pursuit to happiness. Expand
  3. May 5, 2013
    Dear god....why must he do all of his own production? I can understand maybe having 3 or 4 tracks that he did by himself and a maybe a few more in collaboration with better producers like Plain Pat and Emile, but ALL OF IT? The man has the beat-making prowess of a moderately talented 16-year-old with Fruity Loops.

By no means was Cudi ready to handle all of the production on an album of
    this length, because as a result, the songwriting is mostly bland and at times downright irritating. Cudi is at his best when he collaborates with talented people behind the boards instead of trying to be some poor man's Kanye (with all the ego and half the ability). That goes for his video direction as well. Putting a gold frame around a mediocre video is not going to convince me of Kid Cudi's "art" being anything above average.

The fact that he asked the top-tier A$AP Rocky to jump on such a clunky percussion-based instrumental is just an insane waste of a feature. I'm sure A$AP was just going along with it since Cudi has some gathered some respect and seniority in the industry over the past half decade.

Lyric-wise, I have never really cared what the guy was saying as long as he's riding over a solid beat. Everyone knows Cudi is not exactly world-renowned for his lyricism. Since the beats are mainly the lyrics are just turd garnishes.

I DID like Beez (which is bodied by RZA's potent lyrics and not Cudi's production) Solo Dolo Part II, and Cold-Blooded. Not much else impresses me on this thing. The repetition on the instrumentals is so boring I can't help but skip almost every track. Hopefully the whole "I can do it all" thing that Cudi is currently going for is just a phase and he'll go back to working with Emile soon. We can only hope....
  4. Apr 26, 2013
    Scott Mescudi testifies his lacks of skill in singing in all of his albums. By the great production of this album and bad lyrics of this one, you can say that Indicud is a mid-good album.
  5. Apr 19, 2013
    Absolutely loved the album and I'd definitely say it's up there with MOTM1 and an improvement over MOTM2. Cudi took a radically different approach to this album and it honestly sounds like nothing else out there right now. Favorite tracks are "Just What I Am" (a more usual Cudi song), "King Wizard", "Red Eye", and "Cold Blooded". All of the features were good and really brought something to each song and Cudi's production was also good. Expand
  6. Apr 23, 2013
    Its just so perfect. Its just so perfect. Its just so perfect. Its just so perfect. Its just so perfect. Its just so perfect. Its just so perfect. Its just so perfect. Its just so perfect.
  7. Jun 11, 2013
    SOOOOO bad. Almost all of the production sounds the same; bland and a mess. Kid Cudi once again just mumbles and complains about how depressed he is. The ONLY songs that are any good are "Just What I am", and "Cold Blooded". You know an album is bad when even a Kendrick Lamar verse can't make a song good.
  8. Jun 18, 2013
    I love Cudi as an artist, but I just wasn't feeling this album as much as I wanted to. I tried listening to it a couple more times to see if it would get better, but it only got worse. Production isn't handled that well, and lots of the melodies are drowned in obnoxious synths. Overall, the only appealing songs on this album are the singles he released.
  9. Jul 15, 2013
    I have nothing good to say about this album, beats were lazy, lyrics weren't good (it's kid cudi what do you expect), and also, since he left good music, that's why this was a fail. I want the Man on the moon days back.
  10. Jun 24, 2013
    This album combines the light of his first album, the dark of his second album, the oddness of his WZRD album and puts it all together in one 18 track piece. It's obvious to see Cudi put tons of effort into this album. He produced every beat to every song. So now let me criticize, his last song I found super tedious and kind of annoying. Don't get me wrong it's catchy but like it's just a one time listen and I never want to hear it again. Then the three songs that are just beats. At least the beats sound good, but I just want to actually have vocals with those to understand more depth of the purpose of the songs existence, since I don't get vocals I assume it's just a filler which is very dissapointing. This album could have been so much better but just decided to reach good instead of great like his other pieces. I almost gave it a 7, but I feel since he did put tons of effort and I like all of the songs except 1, I'll give it a 8. Please Cudi, please give us a Man on The Moon 3. Expand
  11. Apr 29, 2013
    It's good to see Scott Mescudi rapping again, after the some-what-decent WZRD album.
    Now Kid Cudi is back, handling the production and..he's not really a good producer, but I give him props for trying.
    The first track opens the album up with some really dark synth's, fading piano notes, and some metal clanky drums, which gets me excited, but like WZRD's album intro(The Arrival) from
    there it slowly goes downhill.

Pros
    . Some nice guest spots keep some of the tracks listenable (King chip, Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, and RZA)
    . His rapping ability stays fresh!

Cons
    . The production is watered down a lot. His previous albums(even WZRD) had more flashier production, he needs some lessons from Kanye.
    . Kid Cudi tries to push his vocals too much. Killing the enjoyment of the song.

I may have missed a couple things on the album, but the production really stands out(in a bad way) and makes the whole LP not listenable.
    Hopefully when Man On The Moon III comes out he comes back with better production, or with nice producers. (Kanye, Dot Da genius, Plain Pat, Emile)

STILL, props to Kid Cudi for experimenting.

Recommended Tracks: The Resurrection Of Scott Mescudi, Just What I Am, Young Lady, Solo Dolo Part II, Beez
  12. May 1, 2013
    Indicud is not a bad album at all..... but there should be more cudi and less king chip, he continues to bore us with his lame verses, the only good song with him is just what i am and dats it... other than dat its a great effort and cudi never disappoints and he's
  13. Aug 11, 2013
    [3.9] This album was incredibly disappointing, even beyond my high expectations. For someone who was once so innovative, combining alternative music and rap so well, this album sounds a lot like generic rap.
  14. Jul 3, 2013
    Just like O.N.I.F.C, this is stoner music. The difference is this is how you're supposed to do stoner music. Cudi doesn't disappoint with this album. Also it is called (Indi)cud so it's supposed to sound like one big dream even sober. This is the style he was going for and I thought it worked out great. Just like Yeezus, my biggest complaint with this album was the features. The two weakest tracks on this album were delivered by Kendrick Lamar and Two Short both features. However the best verse in the album comes from a feature as well. King Chip sure delivers on that song and this is why I am presenting this "stonerific" album an 8 Expand
  15. May 3, 2013
    Its not terrible but anyone who is expecting anything similar to Man on the Moon 1 or 2 is going be severely disappointed. I'm not just hating on Kid Cudi either, I heavily anticipated this album only to see it fall short. Cudi also talked about collaborations with MGMT and Ratatat and failed to follow through. The song with Father John Misty is the best on the record, maybe next time cudders.
  16. Apr 25, 2013
    This steamy yet still hot tamale is straight off the grill yet, it has no filling just an empty cornhusk. I could feel the energy off of the album artwork but I soon noticed a perfect frame around this image. This artwork fits the album and how it really is only a frame with nothing but material that has been blasted to smithereens.
  17. Apr 28, 2013
    Great album, good features and solid production from an artist that had never produced a single song on his previous solo albums. Album of the year so far.
  18. May 14, 2013
    Kid Cudi work hard on this album and i love it. Lyrics,Beats,Instrumentals is from other galaxy. Cudder produced all songs on Indicud, this album is masterpiece
  19. Sep 17, 2013
    Kid Cudi is still reeling from his attempt at going sober, and he shows it with this mediocre at best release. Smoke a little more indica, Scott, and then show us what you got.
  20. Sep 13, 2013
    Cudi is back! This amazing blend of production and lyricism is very unique even from Cudi's earlier work. It is an awesome success on so many levels.
  21. Sep 13, 2013
    Note: this is coming from a die hard Cudi fan. This album was a huge disappointment for me. A time I find myself saying "what was he thinking?" And "why?" This album is nearly unlistenable. The song "Girls" is one of the most terrible things I've ever heard. Too Short should be ashamed as well as anyone that consigned this album. "Cold Blooded" was really cheesy, "Afterwords" was 8 mins on the same terrible chorus. Cudi really lacks the passion he brought to his first to albums. A couple things I did like was that Cudi did everything by himself. I liked "Just What I Am" and "Imortal". And I liked that he was bold enough to choose some of the features that he chose. This album was a mess overall. Expand

1. Jul 11, 2013
    Only Haim's contribution to Red Eye enlivens the tedium. [Aug 2013, p.99]
  2. Jul 2, 2013
    In comparison to his past two albums, Cudi has grown the furthest from his purest hip-hop roots on Indicud, successfully carving out his own space using fundamental tools of hip-hop. [Jul 2013, p.91]
  3. May 9, 2013
    Indicud has the sheen of a cinematic blockbuster.... Unfortunately, it also has no substance.