Is This It?

9.1

Review this album

1. Feb 13, 2012
    I know I'm gonna be a hater, but I really don't care, it's my opinion, but anyway, I really don't see whats so great about The Strokes, especially this album. They have a few good song but there not amazing. Honestly this album and the band are really over hyped, and overstated. Their not revolutionary nor really original. Hard to Explain, Someday, and Last Nite, are the only real savingI know I'm gonna be a hater, but I really don't care, it's my opinion, but anyway, I really don't see whats so great about The Strokes, especially this album. They have a few good song but there not amazing. Honestly this album and the band are really over hyped, and overstated. Their not revolutionary nor really original. Hard to Explain, Someday, and Last Nite, are the only real saving graces on this album. Their best song is "Under the Cover of Darkness" but that's on their new album. In conclusion, the music on this album isn't gonna change the world, and I was actually kinda pissed when Rolling Stone described Kings of Leon as the "Southern Strokes". I saw as a bad statement. Expand
    Jun 30, 2002
    worst retro shit ever. perfect for nme readers
  3. JeffD
    Feb 4, 2005
    Please, Julian, stop it. Do you use the vocal processor when ordering Starbucks or dismissing groupies? Monotonous, repetitive, derivative...there's just no real emotion on this disc. Sure, they can play...but there's nothing on here that I really want to hear over and over, nothing that sticks in my head. Completely overhyped.
  4. cwk
    Aug 11, 2005
    pretty much garbage. People who think this is "rock" have never heard rock, apparently. the guy who said "almost emotionless" is right. These guys are total frauds and a glut of similar bands are the reason I can hardly listen to rock today. Thankfully there are still a handful of creative, original artists out there.
  5. S.Gold
    Jan 3, 2006
    Boring, same song and style over and over. How can people call this interesting?
  6. David
    Jun 11, 2006
    Thank Bob this terrible trend is over. Rock revival? Whatever.
  7. JustinM
    Jun 8, 2003
    Shamefully unoriginal and uninteresting--reeks of disingenuity--rock by poseurs for poseurs. (I give it a 1 because poseurs deserve music too.)
  8. JeremyA.
    Dec 10, 2001
    This album is basically the same dull, droning song rehashed 11 times over, a song that is little more than a rehash of several 70s cliches itself. Far from being a revolutionary album, the Strokes first effort still has more life to it than anything the Nu-Metal crowd is putting out. However, many who were excited by all the hype will find themselves asking "Is This It?"
  9. Janssen
    Nov 26, 2001
    Hardly the revolutionary album it was made out to be. Sloan and New Bomb Turks do it better than this and have been doing it for longer. English press means nothing, listen to New Bomb Turks instead.
  10. adams.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Am I the only one who thinks that the strokes are the most overrated band in the world? Kudos to their marketing team to create a buzz before this release, it certainly suckered a lot of people. Their tunes are catchy but ultimately sounds like a bunch of bored rich kids with nothing better to do. There's not much here to be excited about.
  11. JimminyB.
    Nov 9, 2007
    A case of Emperor's New Clothes if ever there was one. Repetitive, single-note 2/4 monotony by a talentless bunch of no-hopers. Accidentally hyped by NME before discovering they only had one idea. Now everyone has to pretend they see the genius.
  12. JackC,
    Feb 4, 2008
    The Strokes are the new Bay City Rollers.

Simply put, Strokes have every quality rock'n'roll requires from its finest exponents and Is This It is where they come together.
  2. Able to make the timeworn themes of sex, drugs, and rock & roll and the basic guitars-drum-bass lineup seem new and vital again, the Strokes may or may not be completely arty and calculated, but that doesn't prevent Is This It? from being an exciting, compulsively listenable debut...
    Their album is little more than thirty minutes and eleven versions of the same song. But damn if that one song isn't a good one.