Is This It? - The Strokes
9.0

Review this album

1. Sep 16, 2010
    my most favorite album of all time. solid from start to finish, one of the best albums to come out of the aughts. absolutely perfect, even in it's imperfections.
  2. Sep 18, 2010
    An album for the ages. A thoroughly enjoyable album to listen through, mellow vibes issue from the speakers and deep lyricism interplays with masterful guitar solos and solid melody as you drift into the zone.
  3. Oct 23, 2010
    Nothing bad can be said about this album. The Strokes helped revive garage rock and brought back utter coolness to the genre. Catchy song one after another, with Julian Casablancas' pure rock voice combined with Albert Hammond Jr.'s excellent guitar playing.
  4. Feb 23, 2011
    I fell in love with this album after the first listen. Amazing vocals, tight song structure, amazing guitar and a chugging back beat; it's almost perfect. The strokes managed to bring back the groove, feeling and melody of 70's rock back to the 21st century. The strokes brought that rawness and soul into music, something that seems to be lacking in most music today. Not only that, they managed to jump start a whole new rock revival in the process, influencing countless bands. A simply essential and classic record. Expand
  5. Mar 3, 2011
    "is this it?" is fantastic. truly a landmark album of our generation. its so nonchalant but somehow through the apathy true brilliance is found. yes each song has a similar sound, but they are not the same. additionally, why would you change up the sound when it is good to begin with
  6. Mar 26, 2011
    The only bad thing that could possibly be said about this album is that it's fairly formulaic, with the same verse-bridge-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-bridge-chorus etc for most of the songs.
    But that doesn't stop them being great songs on a great album. There's no filler here.
    The definitive indie rock album
  7. Mar 30, 2011
    This is one of the MUST HAVE albums of the 00s. Too bad their latest albums isn't kicking like this. I hate the fact I have to type 150 characters right now.
  8. Apr 6, 2011
    Fantastic. Each song makes me happy. One of the best albums of the past decade (perhaps the best) and one of the 500 best albums in the history of music.
  9. Apr 23, 2011
    Is This It, along with Origin of Symmetry (Muse), and American Idiot (Green Day) are for me, the 3 biggest rock albums of the 00's, although they come from different ends of the rock spectrum they all share a resemblance in how they changed the genre, is this it is not a perfect album, it just has no flaws.
  10. May 5, 2011
    One of my all time favorite albums and one of the reasons for my giant appreciation and fascination for music. Its sheer simplicity and charismatic take on rock just astonishes me. Compelling and fun lyrics, fantastic composition, great production and it truly feels like it's an album that time traveled from the 1970's.
  11. May 26, 2011
    The Strokes first album starts off with a bang with the song that shares the name with the album title, "Is This It?". After that, every song stays consistent with there signature poppy, fun, catchy Strokes sound that never ceases to amaze. This album definitetly lives up to its hype and will be a classic for ages to come with hit singles, "Last Night", "Someday", "Hard To Explain" and "The Modern Age". Two thumbs up! Expand
  12. Jun 12, 2011
    Without a doubt, probably the best album of the decade. In one word : flawless. Simple and complex at the same time, only the Strokes can do this. Unforgettable lyrics and melodies.
  13. Jun 29, 2011
    This album is the greatest Rock album ever produced. Every song has an a amazing guitar riff, powerful bass lines, and the singer Julian Casablancas has the best voice I have heard in a long time.
  14. Jul 13, 2011
    Yes, The Strokes are impressive and superb. Great quality rock is here, the voice is outstanding . Marked the history and changed and improved the classic genre .
  15. Aug 9, 2011
    Forgetting all the hype, Jules, Nikolai, Fab, Albert and Nick did start a new age in rock. Every Indy band of the past decade can owe their success to this album. 11 simple short songs. All pure garage rock. This album is incredible
  16. Nov 6, 2011
    A fantastic album. This is a good enjoyable rock album, the best of The Strokes. It's not completely groundbreaking, but listening to this album is well worth it, from the opening track "Is This It", to the ending track "Take It Or Leave It", you will not be disappointed, unless you think The Strokes are some sort of legends.
  17. Nov 15, 2011
    The beggining of this century brought this pearl that revived indie-rock again. We see the genious Julian Casablancas working with power songs, lyrics, and even better stylish for the rock of this time. The indie bands should get more along with this kind of rock, one of the bests. Marvelous.
  18. Nov 15, 2011
    AMAZING! That's really all I can call this album. Every song is worth multiple listens. The highlights of this album are definitely the title song, "The Modern Age", "Barely Legal", "Alone, Together", "Last Nite" "New York City Cops", "When It Started", and "Take it or Leave it." Dedicate an hour or two to this album, and it will be pure bliss.
  19. Jan 30, 2012
    Awesome album and a must any for any music fan.
    Favorite tracks: Hard to Explain, someday, trying your luck, the modern age, last nite.
    Also, its a shame new york city cops had to be removed from the US release, although WHEN IT STARTED is a decent track, NYC is much more entertaining.
  20. Feb 7, 2012
    Love this album, so catchy, one of the best rock albums ever but that's what it is, a rock album, an album about youth and they have captured that essence incredibly.
  21. Jun 19, 2012
    "Is This It" has gone down as one of the best albums of the 15 years and, in my opinion, one of the best alternative rock albums of all time. Songs like "Someday" and "Hard to Explain" contain some of the most catchy and feel-good hooks I have ever heard, while others like the title track and "Alone, Together" contain a more authentic sound the Strokes can now call their own. Each song is different, but brilliant guitar melodies and Julian Casablancas' unique vocals remain constant throughout the album (with a bit of **** as well). And when Casablancas' vocals are at their most emotive and strongest (like on "Someday" and "Last Nite"), the Strokes pump out some of the best (upbeat or not) rock tracks of the last 15 years. Expand
  22. Jul 21, 2012
    The Strokes' debut album is amazing! Jules Casablanca (lead vocals) provides a natural Lo-Fi sound, which is addictive to listen to. I can't think of a single track from the album I don't thoroughly enjoy. Recommend! Favorite tracks: Hard to Explain, Take It or Leave It, Barely Legal (yet every song has its singularity and fantastic element about it)
  23. Oct 30, 2012
    The album is indeed a great raw alternative rock experience. There are no weak tracks well, maybe, Trying Your Luck, for it is my least favorite but it is still a solid good album. I really like the rhythm of the guitar and the charisma the band gives. The lyrics are simply about observations in their lives but still are great because it is written well into the songs.
  24. Dec 23, 2012
    Simply put- The best album of the last decade.
    The Strokes begin the album on a mellow note with the Title Track- Is This It, which delves deep into the urban scene. All the tracks are rock solid and feature some of the best hooks ever made in rock and roll, with my favorites being Last Nite, Barely Legal and Hard to explain. If you are a rock n roll fan, and you haven't listened to Is
    this it, then its a shame. Expand
  25. Apr 7, 2013
    "Is This It?" is without a doubt one of the most influential records of the last decade, and is outstanding from beginning to end. Forget any preconceived notion you have of The Strokes and ignore the hype many people think of when listening to them. What you're left with is 36 minutes of pure, laid-back rock. Despite the nonchalance, exemplified by the coarse garage rock sound and Julian Casablancas' easy going voice, the album actually displays a great deal of depth, and not just "catchiness". Each of the five members' significant contributions can easily be identified in every song; the sounds just all mesh together so well that they sound simple, and the album overall sounds homogeneous. Fabrizio's drums set a clear tone for each song and pack more emotion than one would expect (see "Hard to Explain" or "Trying Your Luck"). The rhythm is the job of Nikolai Fraiture, who holds the band together out of the limelight. Albert Hammond Jr. and Nick Valensi work together to produce intensely refreshing guitar riffs; their solos create tension only to resolve it moments later in an apprehensively satisfying manner. Finally, Julian Casablancas leads the band with indifferent yet confident vocals, which make the album so much more approachable. He sings mainly of relationships, though the lyrics don't mean that much. One song even seems to be about a fictitious drug from Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World." Ultimately, it's an album that everyone should hear, and is easily one of the greatest of all time. Expand
  26. Oct 7, 2013
    "Is This It?" is any bands dream debut album. This album is flawless, bringing in a new style of indie/alt rock that's still easily recognizable. This album truly reestablished the rock genre, and every song is as catchy and tasty as the next. The Strokes debut album is a landmark.
  27. Dec 8, 2013
    Just spectacular. One of the best albums of the 21st century, if not ever. Every song is brilliant in its own way and all are similar, so it is a great album but not too similar so all the songs sound the same. The only let down is that The Strokes could not keep up this genius into their other albums. Easiest 10/10 I'll ever give.
  28. Mar 16, 2014
    The Strokes' Is This It? is not in common with the other rock albums that defined a decade but that is the beauty of this project as it has changed rock and started a new era in indie rock music. It features great guitar riffs and solos by Albert Hammond Jr. and hardcore lyrics and vocals by Julian Casablancas. The band takes you on an adventure ride with some of their best material like: "Someday", "Last Night", "The Modern Age" and "Hard To Explain" and due to this album there has been bands like Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand and The White Stripes trying to develop The Strokes classic style. After listening to Is This It? you will begin to answer the album's title with Is There More? Expand
  29. May 22, 2014
    Great Album, this is the first strokes album that I listened to and was impressed, especially with Julian's passionate gritty vocals. each track has a catchy chorus to it, the whole band came through with something deferent to add to this album, I'm really liking the guitar on the first track (is this it) with Julian's slow flowing vocals and a simple catchy beat it works out well . And the track (someday) with Julian's hard hitting gritty vocals and catchy beat. Many more memorable tracks. Each track on this had substance to it everything flows together well, definitely a album to check out. Expand
  30. Jul 22, 2014
    This album it's maybe the most influential album of the 2000's. It's unforgettable, great and classic. Every song it's a classic on it's own. The best debut album since Oasis' "Definitely Maybe".
  31. Aug 5, 2014
    Is This It? is one of the masterpieces of contemporary music and, together with Interpol's Turn On The Bright Lights, one of the very best records of the 2000's. It's a must have for everyone interested in the music of that decade.
    It's a record driven by guitars, easy punchy drumming, incredibly cool bass lines and moving expressionist vocals. What makes this one a great record is that
    beyond its uniqueness in the production, it has amazing excellent melodies. It gives you emotions.
    An album that redefined rock, an album that you won't forget.
  32. Sep 7, 2010
    The Strokes may not have been able to really follow up this wonderful debut, but thats not a terrible thing. Ensuing efforts have been nice but inferior; Is This It is where the boys could do no wrong.
  33. Feb 23, 2013
    The Strokes first album Is This It is like something out of the rock heavens. Just clocking in at a little over half an hour, the songs are catchy and show us what a great and talented band this is. Julian Casablanca is such a hip, cool guy. And his voice is simply amazing. All In All, Is This It is a wonderful album that needs to be heard several times. A-
  34. May 25, 2012
    Classic debut album from a band that had the world in the palm of their hand for a brief moment. One of the first great albums of the 21st century.There is no weak track on here. Perhaps not enough classic tracks to warrant a 10 but a definite 9. Still sounds great when you listen to it now. Raw, wild and vibrant. It's a pity The Strokes never really followed up on their inital promise. Hard to Explain is still one of my favourite songs. Expand
  35. Feb 28, 2013
    Obviously the classic Strokes album, the quality of sounds are very similar to The Velvet Underground, and has this nocturnal feeling of partying and a new band going out, thats the revival spirit of the band, and that is why everybody gone insane with this band in the early 2000's, the music was in this void and it was really something new to put on the radio, back in the days
    Sorry bad english
  36. Sep 29, 2014
    You can't go for The Strokes expecting alternative rock, indie rock, metal or metacore, you just need to expect something, you're going to listen rock, nothing less, nothing more, Is This It? introduced us this superb band, but there was some details missing, maybe a more inuitive refrain, or some more complex lycris (not the cliché romantic lycris).
  37. Nov 2, 2013
    [8.9] Simple, yet perfectly fluent instruments, strong and smooth vocals, and a certain sleekness possessed by no other band, The Strokes have one of, if not the most powerful and consistently great debuts. However much it can be compared to other artists, no other artist that may have influenced The Strokes can perfect nearly every single element of their music like they do. For what it's worth, Is This It is really freaking good. Expand
  38. Jul 10, 2013
    Thoroughly and grossly overrated. While I love the Strokes to death, and I do enjoy this album at times, I can't help but feel that the lavish attention slathered onto this album is a result of my current generation easily relating to the apathy of this album.

Julian Casablancas is actually a very technically apt and emotionally expressive singer when he deigns to be. Sadly, for their
    first two albums, you almost never see that side. Playing it cool has never been so boring than in this album, honestly.

I side with the controversial camp that alleges the Strokes get better over time, not worse (at least until the that was "Angles"). And if you look at First Impressions of Earth, where I think they are their best, you get a feel for what Julian can really do, rather than what he did when he browsed "vintage" thriftshops and used blown-out-amps like the rest of his former hipster ilk.

Julian, and the gang too, become a lot cooler when they're not trying to act cool. This album is not one of those times.
  39. Feb 13, 2012
    I know I'm gonna be a hater, but I really don't care, it's my opinion, but anyway, I really don't see whats so great about The Strokes, especially this album. They have a few good song but there not amazing. Honestly this album and the band are really over hyped, and overstated. Their not revolutionary nor really original. Hard to Explain, Someday, and Last Nite, are the only real saving graces on this album. Their best song is "Under the Cover of Darkness" but that's on their new album. In conclusion, the music on this album isn't gonna change the world, and I was actually kinda pissed when Rolling Stone described Kings of Leon as the "Southern Strokes". I saw as a bad statement. Expand

Simply put, Strokes have every quality rock'n'roll requires from its finest exponents and Is This It is where they come together.
  2. Able to make the timeworn themes of sex, drugs, and rock & roll and the basic guitars-drum-bass lineup seem new and vital again, the Strokes may or may not be completely arty and calculated, but that doesn't prevent Is This It? from being an exciting, compulsively listenable debut...
    Their album is little more than thirty minutes and eleven versions of the same song. But damn if that one song isn't a good one.