James Blake

8.2

Review this album

1. Mar 4, 2011
    There's an overriding impression that Blake is trying desperately hard to create an album of sonic originality, but textured calculations, modernist machine beats and vocoders can't replace traditional songwriting, of which there's simply not enough of on this debut
  2. Feb 9, 2011
    This album was over hyped and is now overrated. Its not really a bad album just completely boring. I will agree with everyone and say that the production is great but that's it. The autotune really doesn't do anything for me and in most cases it makes the songs worse. This album is really nothing more than slowed down Dubstep with heavy R&B influences. On "The Wilhelm Scream" I swear heThis album was over hyped and is now overrated. Its not really a bad album just completely boring. I will agree with everyone and say that the production is great but that's it. The autotune really doesn't do anything for me and in most cases it makes the songs worse. This album is really nothing more than slowed down Dubstep with heavy R&B influences. On "The Wilhelm Scream" I swear he even sounds like Aaron Nevil. Its not surprising that the best song on the album is the cover of Feist's "Limit to your Love", but even on the best track Blake had to add in weird pauses that really disrupt the flow of the song. Like I said before over hyped and overrated. Just a splattering of experimental music done in a minimalistic style. Nothing overly special. Expand
  3. Dec 21, 2011
    I found this album boring and full of useless electronic arrangements that makes this album unpleasant. In my opinion this album is extremely overrated and I can't see any future in this artist.
  4. Jul 30, 2012
    I really tried to like this album. After two full listens, I found myself floating inside an utterly boring record, with uninspired melodies and poor produced songs. The only positive view I could give is about the high level of Blake's songwriting and his voice, that has a special tone within. But, it is still one of the most over-hyped albums of past year.

1. The Wire
    Apr 28, 2011
    Like Portishead, this album may very well achieve background ubiquity, but that should not be allowed to obscure the strangeness and currency of this record. [Mar 2011, p.46]
  2. Entertainment Weekly
    Apr 8, 2011
    An intriguing concept, not always fully realized. [1 Apr 2011, p.77]
  3. Mojo
    Apr 6, 2011
    London singer-songwriter attempts to annex the middle ground between Benga and Anthony Hegarty. [March 2011, p. 96]