Journal For Plague Lovers - Manic Street Preachers
9.2

Review this album

1. Nov 11, 2010
    This is my first MSP album, and I have to think it will be hard for them to top this. The first go through I didn't think much of it, decent songs but nothing memorable. Well it really catches on and I find every song has something worth hearing in it, no filler material in here.
  2. Apr 25, 2011
    This album just gets better and better the more you listen to it.
    I think this album will be considered a rock classic in years to come - a cult classic up there with the Holy Bible. The songs are so diverse and emotionally raw. Awesome album.
  3. May 20, 2011
    Well... where do I start? The 9th album by the Manics is 14 songs of rock heaven, in my opinion there best album to date with Send away the tigers in 2nd and everything must go in 3rd. The reason for this is that every song seems to have so much efffort into them, each song has great music, great singing from JDB and of course great lyrics from Richey Edwards. The Holy Bible has greatWell... where do I start? The 9th album by the Manics is 14 songs of rock heaven, in my opinion there best album to date with Send away the tigers in 2nd and everything must go in 3rd. The reason for this is that every song seems to have so much efffort into them, each song has great music, great singing from JDB and of course great lyrics from Richey Edwards. The Holy Bible has great lyrics from Richey Edwards but the music doesnt support them but this type the music does. ITS BRILLIANT. Expand
  4. j30
    Dec 6, 2011
    This is not the best album of the century or the year, but a noteworthy effort from the Welsh alternative band.
  5. Oct 23, 2014
    It was always going to be a brave decision to use lyrics written by Richey Edwards on a Manic Street Preachers album once again, but the band pulls it off in the only way they know how; by producing an outstanding record. 30 seconds in; following a mean bassline, solid drums, a no nonsense guitar riff from James Dean Bradfield are the lyrics "the more I see, the less I scream. The figure 8It was always going to be a brave decision to use lyrics written by Richey Edwards on a Manic Street Preachers album once again, but the band pulls it off in the only way they know how; by producing an outstanding record. 30 seconds in; following a mean bassline, solid drums, a no nonsense guitar riff from James Dean Bradfield are the lyrics "the more I see, the less I scream. The figure 8 inside out is infinity". Sets the tone for the album perfectly. From then on in, almost every song is flawless. The majority with Powerful overdriven Steve Albini guitar sounds, along with huge choruses, raw energy and some of the most relevant and intellectual lyrics of the 21st century. Others such as "Facing Page: Top Left" and "William's Last Words" much more mellow. The hidden track 'Bag Lady' is also definitely worth a listen.

For me, this has to be The Manic's best effort since The Holy Bible. Highly recommend it to anybody. (Personal Favourites: Journal For Plague Lovers, Marlon J.D, Pretension/Repulsion)

1. Journal for Plague Lovers winds up being The Holy Bible in reverse: every moment of despair is a reason to keep on living instead of an excuse to pack it all in.
  2. Manics mine Richey’s last words for a return to the heart of darkness.
  3. Disjointed, imperfect, tender and raw, at the final reckoning it sits as a fitting epitaph.