8.4

Review this album

1. Oct 2, 2011
    Epical! It's just the adjective I can use to explain the mixing of references and beats that one of the most reminding singer ever done. Maya Aralprugasam a.k.a. M.I.A. returned after her acclaimed start "Arular" with more power (like she herself says in "Bamboo Banga", one the greatest songs of this album). When the urban culture got down with the African beat, it turned into a CD thatEpical! It's just the adjective I can use to explain the mixing of references and beats that one of the most reminding singer ever done. Maya Aralprugasam a.k.a. M.I.A. returned after her acclaimed start "Arular" with more power (like she herself says in "Bamboo Banga", one the greatest songs of this album). When the urban culture got down with the African beat, it turned into a CD that contains pearls like "Paper Planes", "XR2", "Jimmy" e "World Town". The great difference for the first CD is that this one bring the power of the streets, and not just the powerbeat from Africa. This mixing is the special thing, the X-Factor, that makes this, one the shinny albums ever. Expand
  2. Jan 5, 2012
    I don't care what kind of taste in music you have, if you give Kala a chance you will LOVE how epic the beats are, and how well woven they are mixed with political and social commentary only seen outside on the sidewalks where people picket with sings ans such. All M.I.A. needs is a mic and some notes and she can hammer out some politics as well as make us bump and grind with her swayI don't care what kind of taste in music you have, if you give Kala a chance you will LOVE how epic the beats are, and how well woven they are mixed with political and social commentary only seen outside on the sidewalks where people picket with sings ans such. All M.I.A. needs is a mic and some notes and she can hammer out some politics as well as make us bump and grind with her sway about her. It's rare I enjoy an entire album, but for this one, I did very much, and I'm glad it came into my life! Expand
  3. Oct 3, 2011
    The second LP by Mathangi Arulpragasam, who is known in the music world as M.I.A., is crazy. Wonderfully crazy. Named after M.I.A.â
  4. Apr 19, 2012
    One of the greatest albums you will ever hear! I remember being slowly seduced ( I didn't like it at first) by paper planes, and thinking to myself, this is **** genius! This album is a shot of energy. Great african vibe. The people who hate on mia or this album are usually fat slobs who can't dance, they can't stomach maya's unique delivery. This is album is addictive! I have beenOne of the greatest albums you will ever hear! I remember being slowly seduced ( I didn't like it at first) by paper planes, and thinking to myself, this is **** genius! This album is a shot of energy. Great african vibe. The people who hate on mia or this album are usually fat slobs who can't dance, they can't stomach maya's unique delivery. This is album is addictive! I have been listening to it for four years straight!!!! MASTERPIECE!!!! Expand
  5. May 6, 2012
    A good use of her voice, such as in Bamboo Banga. M.I.A. is excellent at lyrics, and the production from her counterpart Diplo is fresh and different. She really has something to say.
  6. May 20, 2012
    M.I.A.'s world-flavoured second album, even more so than her equally diverse debut, is a rare thing: a set of twelve intricate songs that draw their influences from all areas of life and still manage to sound overall consistent, listenable, and ultimately, fun. There are definite standout moments, including the apocalyptic noise beat of "Bird Flu," the ecstatic pop overload of BollywoodM.I.A.'s world-flavoured second album, even more so than her equally diverse debut, is a rare thing: a set of twelve intricate songs that draw their influences from all areas of life and still manage to sound overall consistent, listenable, and ultimately, fun. There are definite standout moments, including the apocalyptic noise beat of "Bird Flu," the ecstatic pop overload of Bollywood cover "Jimmy," the adorable kids' rap verses on "Mango Pickle Down River" and, of course, "Paper Planes," but from swaggering opener "Bamboo Banga" to the last echoes of Timbaland's voice on "Come Around," it maintains a fantastic standard, constantly full of the sort of levels of colour and energy that only the greatest pop music can hope to reach. Expand
  7. Jul 22, 2012
    Kala is a simply fantastic album. Listening to this album makes you feel like your on a journey from Sri Lanka over India and Jamaica to Africa and back again. And the best thing is, this journey is not some kind of tourism journey, it's highly political and while listening to songs like Boyz, Hussel, Mango Pickle Down River, 20 Dollar and World Town you start thinking about the deeperKala is a simply fantastic album. Listening to this album makes you feel like your on a journey from Sri Lanka over India and Jamaica to Africa and back again. And the best thing is, this journey is not some kind of tourism journey, it's highly political and while listening to songs like Boyz, Hussel, Mango Pickle Down River, 20 Dollar and World Town you start thinking about the deeper political & social meaning of the songs and this clearly shows the genius of M.I.A. Expand
  8. Aug 30, 2012
    (6/10)Beats are infectious, however M.I.A relies to heavily on her beats to try to carry all of the musicality of the album. Even then, the beats only shimmer on a few of the songs as the beats start to sound repetitive as the album continues. There are a few golden spots in the album with songs like; Jimmy, 20 Dollar and obviously Paper Planes. Paper Planes helps the album to shine as it(6/10)Beats are infectious, however M.I.A relies to heavily on her beats to try to carry all of the musicality of the album. Even then, the beats only shimmer on a few of the songs as the beats start to sound repetitive as the album continues. There are a few golden spots in the album with songs like; Jimmy, 20 Dollar and obviously Paper Planes. Paper Planes helps the album to shine as it shows off what we would have liked to see from M.I.A for the entire album. Definitely a song to listen to over and over again. I have never wanted to rob a bank more in my entire life. In all the album is definitely an impressive cross into genres we didn't know existed, but I didn't necessarily need her genre in my life. Expand
  9. May 21, 2013
    This project it's amazing and shows the imagination of M.I.A the electronic and captivating sound involved us in a very different world of how listen music.
  10. Apr 26, 2013
    I will say this the best album of '07 and one of the best of the 2000's decade. There's gunshots, screams, rap, and hip hop all mixed together to make a jaw dropping melting pot of an album. From "Bird Flu" to "JImmy" to "20 Dollar", M.I.A. does not disappoint. From sampling The Pixies and covering "JImmy, Jimmy Aaja Aaja", M.I.A. learned to be different than the rest of the hip hop world
  11. May 6, 2013
    I'm sure that Kala is the best M.I.A.'s album and is so much stronger than Arular. Is my favorite one of her too, and is the type of album that you can't hear just one time, and make you love who made it.
  12. Dec 6, 2013
    This is definitely not her best album, but it's still awesome and as mind-blowing as Arular. The highlights of Kala are Boyz, Bird Flu, Jimmy, Come Around and Paper Planes.

PS: For you haters giving this album a negative score, please learn about politics before saying that her lyrics are meaningless.
  13. Aug 12, 2013
    M.I.A. does it again with her second best album yet. With energetic pop beats and amazing vocals, no wonder this got so high reviews. Definitely an amazing album.
  14. Sep 29, 2013
    This album is freaking perfect. I can't explain how I love EVERY song of Kala. M.I.A. is a genius. Highlights:

Bamboo Banga: 3/5
    XR2: 3/5
    Paper Planes: 10/5
    Come Around: 5/5
  15. Mar 5, 2015
    Kala is fantastic, wonderful, his lyrics and melodies are more than masterpieces by far XR2 is the best song on the album, if not one of the best M.I.A. has produced throughout his career.
    I really love this album.
  16. Dec 15, 2014
    This is my favorite album is highly addictive and these songs will always stay in my memory. The songs are perfect because they have a great production. My favorite: Boyz, Paper Planes, Jimmy and Bamboo Banga.
  17. Jan 10, 2015
    Some quirky dits and few off the beaten path kinda beats, but let's not get carried away here. Truth is the album is a little bit different, but let's face it, MIA ain't a rapper and would come up stumps against a lot of unsigned wannabes recording tunes out of their bedrooms.
    The album has a lot of filler and not a great deal of thriller. Some of the material sounds down right pretentious, somewhat arty-farty, and simply not good enough for commercial album release. However, the album has received somewhat critical acclaim and compares favourably to a number of releases in similar genres across the board.
    MIA does offer that mishmash of experimental sounds, world music appeal and some catchy pop numbers, but it just seems all a bit, dare I say pretend.
    At best an above average album.

1. Although there are a couple of failed tracks--like the tediously slow 'The Turn'--most of this stuff is groundbreaking.
  2. There are the terrible lyrics and more than a few moments where her one-style-fits-all MCing grates, but there's also the politics that no one else would touch, an intelligence, colour and humour, and the added benefit of centrifugally heavy production. Skip a couple, and you're in for a treat.
  3. Everything here is a fantastic hybrid, M.I.A. and her platoon of producers thieving fashionable street sounds from Baltimore hip hop to Brazil's baile funk. [Sep 2007, p.89]