Kid A - Radiohead
9.2

Review this album

1. Nov 6, 2012
    There was commenter who said that "If you don't get Radiohead you don't get music". No, I get Radiohead... I just don't like this album in general. Now don't get me wrong, The Bends and OK Computer are some of the best alternative rock albums of the 90's. However people proclaimed this as the 2000's equivalent of Nevermind (by Nirvana) and that's just not accurate. There is nothing artfulThere was commenter who said that "If you don't get Radiohead you don't get music". No, I get Radiohead... I just don't like this album in general. Now don't get me wrong, The Bends and OK Computer are some of the best alternative rock albums of the 90's. However people proclaimed this as the 2000's equivalent of Nevermind (by Nirvana) and that's just not accurate. There is nothing artful about unstructured noise and lyrics that have no meaning. And the worse thing is that this album is more successful commercially than White Pony by Deftones. If this album has more success, critically and commercially, than an album that has structure, character, and has some kind of musical/lyrical progression in it then there is something wrong with musical listeners. Now, if you'd excuse me I'm going to go and listen to some progressive metal, a genre of music that has actual structure and requires playing instruments. Expand

Comparing this to other albums is like comparing an aquarium to blue construction paper.... It's the sound of a band, and its leader, losing faith in themselves, destroying themselves, and subsequently rebuilding a perfect entity. In other words, Radiohead hated being Radiohead, but ended up with the most ideal, natural Radiohead record yet.
    Radiohead have completely immersed themselves in the studio-as-instrument--signal processing, radical stereo separation, and other antinaturalistic techniques. Even the precious Guitars--saturated with effects and gaseous with sustain--resemble natural phenomena rather than power chords or lead lines. Essentially, this is a post-rock record.... Kid A is not only Radiohead's bravest album but its best one as well. [Oct 2000, p.172]
  3. For an album that apparently grew out of the band trying to get away from melody, there's a lot of it here. They can't help themselves. They try to do a song with a robotic dance beat, load it up with bleak phrases like "laughing till my head comes off" and "take the money and run" and "this is really happening," call it "Idioteque" for chrissake, and what stands out are not the beat and not the phrases or the apparent concept of dance music being silly when horrible things are happening in the world, but the seven or eight different heartwrenching vocal lines and the amazing way they intertwine.