Kid A

• Release Date: Oct 3, 2000
9.3

Review this album

1. Feb 22, 2011
    Upon first listen I can see why old school Radiohead fans won't like this album, I didn't either. After a few listens though the album grew on me. Radiohead took a leap of faith here by making an album totally opposite of their past masterpieces (The Bends & OK Computer). This transition kind of reminds me of Dylan going acoustic. His loyal folk fan base was horrified and didn't wantUpon first listen I can see why old school Radiohead fans won't like this album, I didn't either. After a few listens though the album grew on me. Radiohead took a leap of faith here by making an album totally opposite of their past masterpieces (The Bends & OK Computer). This transition kind of reminds me of Dylan going acoustic. His loyal folk fan base was horrified and didn't want anything to do with him after that. Thankfully artists make music for themselves and what that is and what the fans want may be two different things. If artists just stuck to their roots we they would never be able to grow intellectually and musically. Kid A is a fantastic album and is well worthy of all the praise it has and continues to receive and "Everything In It's Right Place" is one of the best songs of all time. Expand
  2. Nov 16, 2011
    When I first listened to this album, I thought it was entirely a pile of garbage. How could the greatest rock band in the world make such a horrendous processed electronic earwreck? A month later, I gave it another chance. Then I thought, "huh, this is alright. Wonder why I thought it was so bad." Then I listened to it for a third time. That's when my mind was blown. Radiohead had struckWhen I first listened to this album, I thought it was entirely a pile of garbage. How could the greatest rock band in the world make such a horrendous processed electronic earwreck? A month later, I gave it another chance. Then I thought, "huh, this is alright. Wonder why I thought it was so bad." Then I listened to it for a third time. That's when my mind was blown. Radiohead had struck gold again. Only this time, they found diamond. This album is absolutely flawless, even if at first glance it's completely flawed. Just keep polishing the diamond, and only then will it sparkle. Expand
  3. Uhhuhhim
    May 30, 2005
    Resonance - A magazine that might've been amazing if the writers had only bothered to write some actual reviews.
  4. JordanS
    Jun 29, 2009
    Words fail me. A pioneering, post-genre masterpiece. Easily the best album of the 21st century. Period.
  5. ChrisH
    Jul 6, 2003
    undeniably beautiful, and after 50 listens, it seems even better
  6. MHarris
    Oct 16, 2005
    This album is more than just music. It is a visceral experience.
  7. LilianP
    Dec 30, 2005
    you'd have to like free jazz and modern classical music to like what radiohead did with rock music. it's music not for a commercial audience, but for real lovers of music.
  8. EkC
    Aug 27, 2006
    Everything radiohead does is unbelievable (besides pablo honey)... i think the band peaked at ok computer, but this album is still unbelievable.
  9. SteveO
    Aug 26, 2009
    Quite simply one of the greatest albums ever recorded. Not to everyone's tastes, but certainly to mine.
  10. chris
    Jul 25, 2003
    I would give this album an 11 if i could. If you do not understand kid A you might as well stop listening to music altogether. you lameoids who gave this album a bad rating sholuld perish in one of Dante's concentric circles of hell that Thome Yorke so emotionally transends to us in his flawless and dominating voice. Why don't you invalids go off on an island somewhere with your I would give this album an 11 if i could. If you do not understand kid A you might as well stop listening to music altogether. you lameoids who gave this album a bad rating sholuld perish in one of Dante's concentric circles of hell that Thome Yorke so emotionally transends to us in his flawless and dominating voice. Why don't you invalids go off on an island somewhere with your Ben Kweller and O.A.R. cd's and leave the rest of us alone. Be sure to bring a t.v. because i know you can't miss American Idol. Expand
  11. Aaron
    Jan 2, 2006
    it's my favorite album ever
  12. DaveG
    Jul 14, 2006
    I hated this record when I first heard it. However, I now consider it to be the greatest record that I've ever heard.
  13. TKOFOX
    May 22, 2009
    This album tells a story of simple men/women enduring complex ideas with johnny greenwood (etc.) composing the sound scape. Its brilliant. I wish more albums like this would come along. Until then.
  14. GauravG
    Dec 24, 2002
    A masterpiece. The only album I still listen to constantly 2 years later in 2002. Radiohead has taken the otherworldly sounds of Aphex Twin & Autechre and made it slightly more accessible. And what other major band has taken a risk like this? U2? The Beatles? That's good company if you ask me.
  15. RG
    Jul 28, 2006
    tired of everyone saying you have to listen to it more than once to get it. The first feeling that you get after the first listen ... cannot put my words together. every listen something new rises up. every listen some part of your brain or heart gives out. i will stop now, but it is one of the best records ever made, still dont know how it reached #1 when it came out, myabe because of ok tired of everyone saying you have to listen to it more than once to get it. The first feeling that you get after the first listen ... cannot put my words together. every listen something new rises up. every listen some part of your brain or heart gives out. i will stop now, but it is one of the best records ever made, still dont know how it reached #1 when it came out, myabe because of ok computer buzz. Expand
  16. Aug 19, 2010
    To call Kid A a good album is an understatement, while not as diverse and as good song by song as its predecesor Ok Computer, Kid A may be better as a full collective album. Its one of those albums that it is almost required of you to listen from start to finish. While it is an album that definetely has a recurring musical theme, each song takes you to a different place, whether it beTo call Kid A a good album is an understatement, while not as diverse and as good song by song as its predecesor Ok Computer, Kid A may be better as a full collective album. Its one of those albums that it is almost required of you to listen from start to finish. While it is an album that definetely has a recurring musical theme, each song takes you to a different place, whether it be the chilling "Everything in its Right Place" to the near tear jerking "How to Disappear completely, to the anything but "Optimistic", to "In Limbo" which most certainly lives up to its name being confusing and without real direction (in a good way). Kid A while not Radioheads magnum opus, may be their most obscure, challenging, and most thought provoking piece of art, which it is nothing less than a piece of art. Expand
  17. Aug 25, 2010
    Everything truly is in its right place.
  18. Mar 2, 2012
    When you ask people about the best 90's album, the most common answer is: "OK Computer". And they go beyond in asserting that also is the best Radiohead album. I'm not in agreement with the last affirmation. "Kid A" is a huge album that overcomes their previous recording. Since I first heard it, 6 years ago, I was impressed by it's peculiar sound, the experimentation, the quality, theWhen you ask people about the best 90's album, the most common answer is: "OK Computer". And they go beyond in asserting that also is the best Radiohead album. I'm not in agreement with the last affirmation. "Kid A" is a huge album that overcomes their previous recording. Since I first heard it, 6 years ago, I was impressed by it's peculiar sound, the experimentation, the quality, the elegance. It's a masterpiece! (for me, of course). Since these High School days it has becomes one of my favorites recordings of ever!! Expand
  19. Sep 20, 2012
    The best Radiohead's album of the last twelve years. Nothing more, nothing less. It's absolutely worth listening to it, but if you never liked them this album is not gonna make you change your mind. Haters are warned!
  20. Feb 20, 2014
    An album that both alienates listeners yet draws them back in for more. Kid A is quite possibly the most unique sounding albums and constructed ideas of the last several decades. The stripped down sound of the "new era" Radiohead of the 21st century does more than cement their place as one of the most influential bands of all time and without question, one the best bands of all time.
  21. Oct 21, 2014
    Kid A is indubitably one of the best albums of the past decade, and Radiohead's crowning achievement. Rarely have I listened to an album so cohesive and unified. Every song paints a beautiful picture and the songs flow from one to each other so naturally. Listening to this album, I experienced the sensation one has while watching a good plot twist in a movie. I felt my previous notions ofKid A is indubitably one of the best albums of the past decade, and Radiohead's crowning achievement. Rarely have I listened to an album so cohesive and unified. Every song paints a beautiful picture and the songs flow from one to each other so naturally. Listening to this album, I experienced the sensation one has while watching a good plot twist in a movie. I felt my previous notions of the world disassembled. It was an ethereal but otherworldly experience. It's like if "Everything in its Right Place" sets the stage for the events of the album, "Kid A" shows the unbridled innocence of the world we see, and then something really, really bad happens on "The National Anthem". The rest is survival. The lyrics, bizarre and arbitrary as they might seem on first glance, really have a distinct purpose serving the atmosphere of the song. Could you imagine "Everything in its Right Place" without the now iconic "I woke up sucking on lemon" line?

The musicianship here is impeccable. "Everything in its Right Place" is an almost hypnotic trance in 10/4 time that leaves you simultaneously disturbed and intrigued. "The National Anthem" features blistering horns and brass that slowly metamorphoses into hectic hysteria, which the bass line still serving as an undercurrent of survival and hustle and bustle beneath. Brilliant. "How to Disappear Completely" is an acoustic ballad, but not in the traditional sense, and feature's Greenwood's Penderecki-esque string arrangements. "Idioteque" sees the band exploring some bleak territory in its lyrics hidden beneath the veneer of a dance song, while songs like "Optimistic" and "In Limbo" defy genre classification.

This is a really magnificent piece of work. The only drawback is that it's not very accessible for a casual listener. But for those willing to take on this accomplishment, you will be heavily rewarded. It's a fantastic album and work of art and I highly recommend you listen to it altogether.

Must tracks – All of them. But since I restrict myself to three I'll say Idioteque, Everything in its Right Place, and How to Disappear Completely.
  22. Apr 12, 2017
    Arguably one of the best albums of the 21st century so far. Radiohead demonstrates their ability to blend electronic sounds with a deliverance of words that are heavy and moving beyond comprehension.
  23. Dec 2, 2010
    I am a massive radiohead fan. and this is there greatest album. Radiohead is my favourette band and this does not dissapoint. Kid A and Optimistic are my favourette tracs from this album.
  24. ChrisR.
    Oct 6, 2007
    Ha ha! Just kidding! 10/10 If you don't get Radiohead you don't get music.
  25. SmithV
    Apr 27, 2006
    Experimental? Not really... The breakthrough sound that many publications have communicated to the public is hardly breakthrough at all. What we have is a recording joke....seriously! Radiohead has pulled the hoodwink of the 21st. century. They have put almost no thought into writing the music, they have written lyrics comparable to a seventh grader's english, and, they have somehow Experimental? Not really... The breakthrough sound that many publications have communicated to the public is hardly breakthrough at all. What we have is a recording joke....seriously! Radiohead has pulled the hoodwink of the 21st. century. They have put almost no thought into writing the music, they have written lyrics comparable to a seventh grader's english, and, they have somehow convinced the so-called experts that this is a masterful accomplishment! It is more of reflection on those emotionally disturbed listener individuals that are drawn 'in' to this music than it is on any musical accomplishment. "OK Computer" was magnificent, a work of art, full of melody, capable of taking the listener to places rarely reached previously - this, however, is the 'sting' of the century. Expand
  26. Apr 5, 2011
    I don't doubt the time and effort put into this album, wonderful technique, and ability. From an objective stand point though, if you're not shuffling through the gray streets of london, you need to put on something else. This album is to Radiohead as Something in the Way was to Nirvana. Not terrible, but I'd rather hear Dive. Get me?
  27. J.Shak
    Jul 28, 2006
    This is the worst album I've ever heard. Saying that it was play school music would be an insult to play school.
  28. Melíza
    May 3, 2003
    I feel guilty about giving this album the score that I did, but I think a 6 seems fair. I will continue to maintain the opinion that Thom Yorke has one of the worst voices in popular music today, and in addition I sometimes feel as though the ambient lyrics reflect an equally ambient style. I can see how some listeners got the impression that in an attempt to sound original, Radiohead I feel guilty about giving this album the score that I did, but I think a 6 seems fair. I will continue to maintain the opinion that Thom Yorke has one of the worst voices in popular music today, and in addition I sometimes feel as though the ambient lyrics reflect an equally ambient style. I can see how some listeners got the impression that in an attempt to sound original, Radiohead went off the deep end and into the "weird" catagory. With that said and out of the way, I love most of the tracks on this cd; each song gives off a distinct feel which I think is much more defined by the song-writing than by the somewhat etherreal sound of keyboards, drum kits, effects, and other electronic equipment. I said "guilty" in the first line of this review because to this day, Idioteque is still my favorite song of all time. The song-writing has always been there. I think once they settle on a style that suits them, Radiohead will truly shine. Expand
  29. adols
    Feb 5, 2006
    horrible shit
  30. lewist
    May 12, 2006
    this album is fucking awful.

Comparing this to other albums is like comparing an aquarium to blue construction paper.... It's the sound of a band, and its leader, losing faith in themselves, destroying themselves, and subsequently rebuilding a perfect entity. In other words, Radiohead hated being Radiohead, but ended up with the most ideal, natural Radiohead record yet.
  2. Spin
    Radiohead have completely immersed themselves in the studio-as-instrument--signal processing, radical stereo separation, and other antinaturalistic techniques. Even the precious Guitars--saturated with effects and gaseous with sustain--resemble natural phenomena rather than power chords or lead lines. Essentially, this is a post-rock record.... Kid A is not only Radiohead's bravest album but its best one as well. [Oct 2000, p.172]
  3. For an album that apparently grew out of the band trying to get away from melody, there's a lot of it here. They can't help themselves. They try to do a song with a robotic dance beat, load it up with bleak phrases like "laughing till my head comes off" and "take the money and run" and "this is really happening," call it "Idioteque" for chrissake, and what stands out are not the beat and not the phrases or the apparent concept of dance music being silly when horrible things are happening in the world, but the seven or eight different heartwrenching vocal lines and the amazing way they intertwine.