• Record Label: Capitol
  • Release Date: Oct 3, 2000
9.0

Review this album

1. Dec 24, 2017
    It's 1998, you've just finished your world tour on the back of the release of one of, if not the best album of the 1990's. A decent band may look to replicate it. A good band may look to emulate it. But a great band improves on it.
  2. Dec 18, 2017
    A beautifully haunting, distopian and chilling album from Radiohead. Making my vinyl collection for sure, I'm just here to show appreciation for this album.
  3. Sep 19, 2017
    Simply one of the greatest albums ever, there is nothing wrong with this album, and it feels amazing to listen of as a whole for a very emotional experience. It reminds of of The Dark Side of the Moon but with a more heavier, technical sound.
  4. Sep 5, 2017
    The follow up to the magnificient "OK Computer" marked the start of the next chapter of Radiohead where they moved from cutting edge rock to progressive/experimental music. Not as groundbreaking as many give it credit for but Radiohead definitely created one of the last great albums of the 20th century with this. 10 tracks long, each one seems to belong exactly where it is - as the openingThe follow up to the magnificient "OK Computer" marked the start of the next chapter of Radiohead where they moved from cutting edge rock to progressive/experimental music. Not as groundbreaking as many give it credit for but Radiohead definitely created one of the last great albums of the 20th century with this. 10 tracks long, each one seems to belong exactly where it is - as the opening song says "Every in its right place". The amount of work gone into the album is there for all to hear. It has a complexity that only comes when the artist is completely immersed in their work. The title track "Kid A" is the highlight for me and is as good a track as Radiohead have produced. I used to have favourite tracks from this album but over the years I've grown to love the record as a whole more than any specific tracks. "Kid A" really should be listened to as a whole piece. A mix of experimental touches but with good tunes driving it forward. It's a pity they didn't release it with "Amnesiac" as was once mooted as I think it would have been one of the truly great double albums. Expand
  5. Aug 20, 2017
    Kid A marks one of the most experimental moments of Radiohead's music, the album evokes an atmosphere of widespread chaos, paranoia and depression. Synthesizers and orchestrated moments give an such immersive result that the feel is that the album is being played inside your head.
    The minimalism of the lyrics and their variety between extremely personal tracks and those of political reference show similarity to the work of David Bowie and Brian Eno on the album Low (1977), reinforcing the quality of the work (just as they make it difficult to interpret in general). The soft transitions of the album are beautiful and the harmony between vocals and riffs is so precise and genius that you wonder how many clones was needed to compose "Idioteque".
  6. Aug 16, 2017
    I always considered Radiohead an alt-rock band, and a miserable one at that, and as such I never really listened to them until the last year or so. I'm a f****** fool. This is truly a landmark album which opens up through it's icy production as you listen. It's truly artistic and I don't think there'll be another album like it for many years, nor does there need to be.

I love all the

I love all the tracks, no favourites for you.
  7. Jul 21, 2017
    Only scored an 80, yet it was the most popular pick for album of the decade. Obviously, it needed some hindsight, but I found it to be a classic the first time i heard it. I think this one is better than ok Computer.
  8. Jun 8, 2017
    How this album lost album of the year to "Two Against Nature" I'll never understand. But what I do know -- I get chills whenever I listen to this album. When I first gave "Kid A" a listen, I thought "is this really Radiohead?" It took a couple of listens, but this album is now a personal favorite of mine among Radiohead's catalog. The tracks appear to be endless and about nothing, but thatHow this album lost album of the year to "Two Against Nature" I'll never understand. But what I do know -- I get chills whenever I listen to this album. When I first gave "Kid A" a listen, I thought "is this really Radiohead?" It took a couple of listens, but this album is now a personal favorite of mine among Radiohead's catalog. The tracks appear to be endless and about nothing, but that is what makes the album so spectacular. There's no point. It's just good electronic-rock music. Expand
  9. Apr 12, 2017
    Arguably one of the best albums of the 21st century so far. Radiohead demonstrates their ability to blend electronic sounds with a deliverance of words that are heavy and moving beyond comprehension.
  10. Feb 28, 2017
    Albums like these that push musical boundaries so far that you can't even see where it started are hard to come by that do it so beautifully and precisely. This is a record that is a MUST LISTEN to anyone. EXPERIENCE THIS MASTERPIECE.
  11. Jan 23, 2017
    The style of this album grew on me after several listens and became the style of Radiohead I enjoy most and looked forward to hearing in their future albums.
  12. Sep 4, 2016
    Kid A is such a spooky album it gave me a nightmare of Thom Yorke shoving pineapples down my throat while screaming 'This is really happening!' When I woke up I was at my desk with this playing on Spotify. Also I was covered in pineapple juice, which still haunts me to this day. At least I hope it was pineapple juice. 10/10
  13. Aug 24, 2016
    There's not much more to say about this album anymore. As we entered the 21st century, Kid A immediately blew down the doors and presented us with a cold and dystopian future dominated by technology. OK Computer may have been better on a song to song level, but Kid A is all about the soundscapes and the dense instrumentation. It creates a vivid and unforgettable atmosphere. The album hasThere's not much more to say about this album anymore. As we entered the 21st century, Kid A immediately blew down the doors and presented us with a cold and dystopian future dominated by technology. OK Computer may have been better on a song to song level, but Kid A is all about the soundscapes and the dense instrumentation. It creates a vivid and unforgettable atmosphere. The album has already become a classic. Expand
  14. Aug 17, 2016
    this is a living masterpiece greatest album of all time. Rafiohead is the best band of the last 20 years. Kid A and OKC are legendary. 2018 next album?
  15. Jun 22, 2016
    For those who say they hate kid a, they should give it a listen the whole way through every few months. This is a masterpiece. Every track is brilliantly layered and beautiful, but together kid a is a work of art. You begin with those four iconic synth notes in everything in its right place, and you're immediately transported somewhere else. The opening four tracks are the mostFor those who say they hate kid a, they should give it a listen the whole way through every few months. This is a masterpiece. Every track is brilliantly layered and beautiful, but together kid a is a work of art. You begin with those four iconic synth notes in everything in its right place, and you're immediately transported somewhere else. The opening four tracks are the most beautiful imo, everything in its right place and Kid a filled with tiny details you notice more with each listen. The National Anthem then leaves you grounded by the bassline but somehow floating up somewhere else at the same time, before you crash into the beautiful melancholy of how to Disappear Completely. This is the point where this is no longer an electronic album. No longer bound by genres, Radiohead take you to somewhere else that can't be described in words, until you're left with the promise of "I will see you in the next life" and you're covered by a warm blanket of sound. Seriously, listening to kid a is a different experience to any other album Expand
  16. May 26, 2016
    Just a beautiful sounding album. It flows so well like a calm river. Every song feel like one in a good way. It's just one of the best albums in a past 30 years or so.
  17. May 10, 2016
    The controversy of this album was so large at the time due to Radiohead completely changing their sound to create an album far before its time. Artists such as Kanye West, Bjork and Kid Cudi still use this album as reference to their work. Download: Idioteque, Everything in its Right Place, Motion Picture Soundtrack, Morning Bell.
  18. May 8, 2016
    Jonny Greenwood / You can actually encounter this virtual reality in your head with the way this guy plays these beautiful patterns of notes with his guitar ,the whole album is a masterpiece, but this song takes me to a different scale of time,space and Dimensions, i think even the artwork is explaining it all. (Optimistic)
    Quoting from someone "Radiohead makes you sick" nah i completely
    Quoting from someone "Radiohead makes you sick" nah i completely disagree, Radiohead makes you open that little door of possibilities , and most of us are just scared to do that.
  19. Dec 6, 2015
    Bloody Perfect. Everything in its right place is the song. I can't think of any album that comes close to this. The 80 on metacritic proves how stupid some people are when it comes to art.
  20. Oct 24, 2015
    How did this album not get an 81? Who the hell are Resonance why did they give it only a 30? Wait a minute, I know. It's a review that might've been amazing if only the critic bothered to write it.
  21. May 16, 2015
    The greatest release of Thom Yorke and the others. An album in which they brought a new level of experimentation on the table. Some tracks are so weird, strange and dreamy that it's even hard to classify hem as actual music, but they still manage to get stuck in your head. An album that de-contructs the concept of rock music itself and a stylistic change that will be emulated by many otherThe greatest release of Thom Yorke and the others. An album in which they brought a new level of experimentation on the table. Some tracks are so weird, strange and dreamy that it's even hard to classify hem as actual music, but they still manage to get stuck in your head. An album that de-contructs the concept of rock music itself and a stylistic change that will be emulated by many other bands in the future, but never with the same success and charisma as Radiohead. Expand
  22. May 6, 2015
    This is by far the darkest album I have ever listened to. And it is spectacular. I don't care what others say--this album shouldn't be considered "hipster"; it should just be listened to by anyone who takes the time to find really good music.
  23. Mar 13, 2015
    It's rather a credit to an artist when their greatest competition for album of the decade... is another of their albums. Kid A is sonically and lyrically flawless.
  24. Nov 17, 2014
    Oh, you all liked the musical style on OK Computer? Oh, you name it as one of the best albums of all time? We're as good as the Beatles? Here try this. A complete curveball, nay, the pitcher turned around and threw the ball to the center fielder. The crowd went wild, and rightfully so.
  25. Oct 21, 2014
    Kid A is indubitably one of the best albums of the past decade, and Radiohead's crowning achievement. Rarely have I listened to an album so cohesive and unified. Every song paints a beautiful picture and the songs flow from one to each other so naturally. Listening to this album, I experienced the sensation one has while watching a good plot twist in a movie. I felt my previous notions ofKid A is indubitably one of the best albums of the past decade, and Radiohead's crowning achievement. Rarely have I listened to an album so cohesive and unified. Every song paints a beautiful picture and the songs flow from one to each other so naturally. Listening to this album, I experienced the sensation one has while watching a good plot twist in a movie. I felt my previous notions of the world disassembled. It was an ethereal but otherworldly experience. It's like if "Everything in its Right Place" sets the stage for the events of the album, "Kid A" shows the unbridled innocence of the world we see, and then something really, really bad happens on "The National Anthem". The rest is survival. The lyrics, bizarre and arbitrary as they might seem on first glance, really have a distinct purpose serving the atmosphere of the song. Could you imagine "Everything in its Right Place" without the now iconic "I woke up sucking on lemon" line?

The musicianship here is impeccable. "Everything in its Right Place" is an almost hypnotic trance in 10/4 time that leaves you simultaneously disturbed and intrigued. "The National Anthem" features blistering horns and brass that slowly metamorphoses into hectic hysteria, which the bass line still serving as an undercurrent of survival and hustle and bustle beneath. Brilliant. "How to Disappear Completely" is an acoustic ballad, but not in the traditional sense, and feature's Greenwood's Penderecki-esque string arrangements. "Idioteque" sees the band exploring some bleak territory in its lyrics hidden beneath the veneer of a dance song, while songs like "Optimistic" and "In Limbo" defy genre classification.

This is a really magnificent piece of work. The only drawback is that it's not very accessible for a casual listener. But for those willing to take on this accomplishment, you will be heavily rewarded. It's a fantastic album and work of art and I highly recommend you listen to it altogether.

Must tracks – All of them. But since I restrict myself to three I'll say Idioteque, Everything in its Right Place, and How to Disappear Completely.
  26. Aug 23, 2014
    With there second studio album (the bends) Radiohead had become respected and well know, and not just a one hit wonder, with there single (Creep). so they decided to start fresh and with a different approach to music and it payed off. with my first listen to Kid A i didn't really know what to think, so listened to the album from start to finish and Wow, i had heard nothing like Kid A.WithWith there second studio album (the bends) Radiohead had become respected and well know, and not just a one hit wonder, with there single (Creep). so they decided to start fresh and with a different approach to music and it payed off. with my first listen to Kid A i didn't really know what to think, so listened to the album from start to finish and Wow, i had heard nothing like Kid A.With Radioheads originality and with them willing to take a big chance with something completely different and it payed off. beautiful album from start to finish, from the feeling you get when listening to this album, with all the unique effects and theme thats puts you in a place of your own. but this album isn't for everyone still being quite controversial, but most radiohead fans love it. Expand
  27. Apr 9, 2014
    This is by far the best album of the 2000s. Simply awesome; the beautiful beginning, Everything In Its Right Place: it's epic. And what about Idioteque? Easily on the best songs ever.
    This is a masterpiece, way better than Ok Computer
  28. Feb 23, 2014
    If there is one album I would dexcribe as magic, it is Radioheads masterpiece "Kid A".
    I remember being sick and I listened to this album, the music on Kid A cured me! I wasnt sick anymore!
    **** Incredible! 10/10
  29. Feb 20, 2014
    An album that both alienates listeners yet draws them back in for more. Kid A is quite possibly the most unique sounding albums and constructed ideas of the last several decades. The stripped down sound of the "new era" Radiohead of the 21st century does more than cement their place as one of the most influential bands of all time and without question, one the best bands of all time.
  30. Jan 4, 2014
    Underrated at its time, this is by far the best and most innovative album of the decade 2000's (2000-2009). This is a reborn Radiohead and a band at its best.
  31. Dec 7, 2013
    the weirdness and fusion of classical music-electronics-comtemporary modern era, was a way to escape the routine of alternative rock, Pablo Honey, The Bends and OK Computer (in which he was predicting what was to come, with a mark more or less electronics.
    unlike the that bands do to hang on trial, made ​​a masterpiece with everything we were entitled.
    something that makes you travel,
    something that makes you travel, may seem boring, just not the contrary, relaxing, exctasiant and melancholy, as works of art (painting, poetry and even music). Sometimes sounds like one song, however, shows that out of the routine is good to differentiate and try new things.
    Have a good trip, after a weary day, relax listening (and experiencing) Kid A, the ears may be confused, but what matters is what naa enter your mind and you will be reborn.
  32. Oct 29, 2013
    It really is the best, most evocative and most profoundly moving Radiohead album. OK Computer, now we'll use you to do something marvellous and homogenous. Quieter and more concrete than its predecessor, it shows influences from triphop, krautrock and the likes of Aphex Twin and Björk.
  33. Oct 6, 2013
    It's one of the bravest releases for a band in decades and it had one of the smartest marketing campaigns. It was quite polarising upon release but KID A has earned such a level of acclaim over the 13 year period since it's release, that many consider it to be superior to it's predecessor, OK Computer, one of the greatest albums ever released.

KID A is dear to myself and Radiohead fans

KID A is dear to myself and Radiohead fans hearts. It has left a large mark on the music industry and will continue to influence many music lovers in the future. In my opinion, it's the greatest release of the noughties and the best Sci-Fi album ever made.

34. Jun 25, 2013
    Allmusic did another review and gave this album five out of five stars. What can I say about this that hasn't been said? Just like most masterpieces, it takes a while to digest, but once it does, it is enriching and takes the listener outside of hirself, just like good art should. Not much of a review on my part, but I hope this helps give people the idea that this record is important.
  35. Jun 18, 2013
    Not a masterpiece on the first listen, but if you are a true Radiohead fan, this album will grow on you and most people realize that this album is a rock masterpiece, and probably one of the best electronic albums ever.
  36. Jun 3, 2013
    It amazes me how low the scores are fort radiohead albums. Radiohead have some of the most amazing, mind opening music in the world, just listen to the song Kid A and try and imagine stuff. its insanely good.

As with all Radiohead albums, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Its clear its not for everyone though, just by some of these reviews. Try hard and you wont be disappointed.
  37. May 15, 2013
    The greatest album of the decade? Absolutely!! Is it the greatest album of all time? It certainly makes a strong case for it. I've never heard in my short, but dense years of listening, a more perfect album. It blends multiple genres from electronic to jazz to classical to ambient successfully, and unites them together in the form of a traditional rock album. But this album is far fromThe greatest album of the decade? Absolutely!! Is it the greatest album of all time? It certainly makes a strong case for it. I've never heard in my short, but dense years of listening, a more perfect album. It blends multiple genres from electronic to jazz to classical to ambient successfully, and unites them together in the form of a traditional rock album. But this album is far from traditional, hell it's a far-cry from a Radiohead record as well, but it is an exquisitely weird and beautiful album nonetheless and stands as the most influential and important recording of the 21st century so far. Expand
  38. Apr 29, 2013
    For some odd reason, "Kid A" was the first Radiohead album I ever listened to. For not starting with albums like "The Bends", or "OK Computer", the average music lover would think that my reaction to Kid A would be mixed, or negative. Now, it's one of my all time favorites. In 2000, I heard of the monumental critical success of the record, and decided to give it a listen. Kid A is anFor some odd reason, "Kid A" was the first Radiohead album I ever listened to. For not starting with albums like "The Bends", or "OK Computer", the average music lover would think that my reaction to Kid A would be mixed, or negative. Now, it's one of my all time favorites. In 2000, I heard of the monumental critical success of the record, and decided to give it a listen. Kid A is an artful album in many ways, blending alternative rock, jazz fusion, IDM, ambient and electronica all into one record. It seems like a hard thing to do, but somehow, Radiohead managed to pull it off, and create a near perfect record. Kid A is an album that represents a generation, the 60's had Sgt. pepper, the 70's had Dark Side Of The Moon, the 80's had London Calling, the 90's had Nevermind, and the 2000's? We have Kid A. Expand
  39. Feb 22, 2013
    Radiohead's magnum opus and their most ambitious, risky record yet. It came at a time when the pressure to follow-up a monumental album was monstrous, and the result was this drastic change in aesthetic and attitude that marks the band's celebrated ideal of reinventing themselves on every new record they release. a masterpiece from start to finish.
  40. Nov 6, 2012
    There was commenter who said that "If you don't get Radiohead you don't get music". No, I get Radiohead... I just don't like this album in general. Now don't get me wrong, The Bends and OK Computer are some of the best alternative rock albums of the 90's. However people proclaimed this as the 2000's equivalent of Nevermind (by Nirvana) and that's just not accurate. There is nothing artfulThere was commenter who said that "If you don't get Radiohead you don't get music". No, I get Radiohead... I just don't like this album in general. Now don't get me wrong, The Bends and OK Computer are some of the best alternative rock albums of the 90's. However people proclaimed this as the 2000's equivalent of Nevermind (by Nirvana) and that's just not accurate. There is nothing artful about unstructured noise and lyrics that have no meaning. And the worse thing is that this album is more successful commercially than White Pony by Deftones. If this album has more success, critically and commercially, than an album that has structure, character, and has some kind of musical/lyrical progression in it then there is something wrong with musical listeners. Now, if you'd excuse me I'm going to go and listen to some progressive metal, a genre of music that has actual structure and requires playing instruments. Expand
  41. Oct 9, 2012
    without a doubt one of the greatest albums i've ever listened to. the entire thing has such a great electronic flow and blends together so nicely. great to listen to on a rainy day.
  42. Oct 6, 2012
    Kid A, can't nobody top that. Better than Rush, better than Coldplay, and better than Soundgarden, Radiohead brings the mixture of alternative indie rock and UK grunge to another level. Quite possibly one of the greatest albums of all time.
  43. Sep 28, 2012
    Rather than silly club synths, their use of electronica is proper. It feels artistic and sophisticated. It's an intelligent record. It's a masterpiece. Perhaps this is the best album of the last decade.
  44. Sep 20, 2012
    The best Radiohead's album of the last twelve years. Nothing more, nothing less. It's absolutely worth listening to it, but if you never liked them this album is not gonna make you change your mind. Haters are warned!
  45. Aug 24, 2012
    No other album translates the social-personal issues of the human condition in the 21st century into music as does Kid A. It takes ideas such as global warming, capitalism, cloning, hysteria, depression, and nostalgia and uses wide-spanning genres such as kraut-rock, free-form jazz, minimal electronic, ambient, and post-rock to express them. The most fascinating aspect of the album is howNo other album translates the social-personal issues of the human condition in the 21st century into music as does Kid A. It takes ideas such as global warming, capitalism, cloning, hysteria, depression, and nostalgia and uses wide-spanning genres such as kraut-rock, free-form jazz, minimal electronic, ambient, and post-rock to express them. The most fascinating aspect of the album is how liquid it feels: songs warp and splash into each other and, despite the disparate genre ensemble, the songs feel inseparable. To those of you who have trouble "getting into" Kid A, try harder. It's not pretentious in any sense. It takes some time to adjust to Kid A, largely due to its unconventional structure and minimalism. Just let it invade you because once your ears adjust to the frequencies, Kid A is endlessly rewarding and absorbing. Whenever I have the time, I pop my vinyl copy of Kid A onto my record player and just sit back and listen to it all, starting with the quirky keys and swirling vocals on Everything In its Right Place and ending with the analog splash that concludes Motion Picture Soundtrack. It's an experience worth the effort. Expand
  46. Jul 30, 2012
    This is one of those albums that grow on you. When I first heard this, I hated it... I strongly recommend this now. This is actually a quite diverse album, songs range from slow, percussion-less, moody songs like "Treefingers" through more standard songs like "Optimistic" to dance-able songs like "Idioteque".
  47. Jul 21, 2012
    A strange blockbuster. Like getting a completely new yet intelligent perspective on the world you've come to sense in the same old light. I've always thought that the insecurities and pressure on the band was present beneath the perfect production, and it comes to draw focus from the sharp world-diagnoses Radiohead crafts so well.
  48. Jul 15, 2012
    it's like a punch to the face of rock at the time and it experiments with the best of the band techniques. from electronic to jazz sounds is one of the most strong albums of the decade
  49. May 14, 2012
    i cannot describe this album accurately with words, but if i had to try, i'd say it's the incarnation of bliss. this is one of the three or four albums that completely warped my perception of music and pushed me into a deeper, fuller, greater appreciation of music.
  50. Mar 22, 2012
    An obfuscation of the current, and limited, boundaries of modern music through the progression from 'rock' to 'electronic' music. Crisp sonic quality accompanied with shifts and mixtures of linearity and surreality; a playground of simple/easy and complex/difficult kinds of equipment mixed together. It doesn't claim itself to be 'experimental' but 'different' - which it is. Not somethingAn obfuscation of the current, and limited, boundaries of modern music through the progression from 'rock' to 'electronic' music. Crisp sonic quality accompanied with shifts and mixtures of linearity and surreality; a playground of simple/easy and complex/difficult kinds of equipment mixed together. It doesn't claim itself to be 'experimental' but 'different' - which it is. Not something to be dealt with completely seriously or completely playfully, but with complete curiosity. Expand
  51. Mar 2, 2012
    When you ask people about the best 90's album, the most common answer is: "OK Computer". And they go beyond in asserting that also is the best Radiohead album. I'm not in agreement with the last affirmation. "Kid A" is a huge album that overcomes their previous recording. Since I first heard it, 6 years ago, I was impressed by it's peculiar sound, the experimentation, the quality, theWhen you ask people about the best 90's album, the most common answer is: "OK Computer". And they go beyond in asserting that also is the best Radiohead album. I'm not in agreement with the last affirmation. "Kid A" is a huge album that overcomes their previous recording. Since I first heard it, 6 years ago, I was impressed by it's peculiar sound, the experimentation, the quality, the elegance. It's a masterpiece! (for me, of course). Since these High School days it has becomes one of my favorites recordings of ever!! Expand
  52. Feb 27, 2012
    Because I am rather young and I didn't actually discover Radiohead until a few months ago, I didn't get to listen to this album when it came out, when it was a revolution, but I have listened to their albums several times by now, and Kid A sticks out as the best album from the best band of all time. From electronic masterpieces like the title track, that is very emotional despite theBecause I am rather young and I didn't actually discover Radiohead until a few months ago, I didn't get to listen to this album when it came out, when it was a revolution, but I have listened to their albums several times by now, and Kid A sticks out as the best album from the best band of all time. From electronic masterpieces like the title track, that is very emotional despite the electronic sound, to deep and sad songs like How To Disappear Completely, every song is special and means something to me.

As for those who didn't like this album: Listen to it again. Trust me, this album needs time to grow on you, but as soon as it did, you will find out it is stunning.
  53. j30
    Feb 1, 2012
    Radiohead's Kid A sucker punches you with it's marvelous production, intense lyrics, sweeping (even distorted) melodies, and beautiful artwork. Three years after the great OK Computer I don't think anyone could have seen this coming. For better or worse this album changed the way people look at alternative music.
  54. Jan 28, 2012
    A perfect fantasy. Radiohead album created a surreal concept of eternal confusion in our minds. The imaginary and where least expected, "Everything In It's Right Place" takes us crashing to the beginning of a disturbing soundtrack. The best album I heard in my life.
  55. Nov 16, 2011
    When I first listened to this album, I thought it was entirely a pile of garbage. How could the greatest rock band in the world make such a horrendous processed electronic earwreck? A month later, I gave it another chance. Then I thought, "huh, this is alright. Wonder why I thought it was so bad." Then I listened to it for a third time. That's when my mind was blown. Radiohead had struckWhen I first listened to this album, I thought it was entirely a pile of garbage. How could the greatest rock band in the world make such a horrendous processed electronic earwreck? A month later, I gave it another chance. Then I thought, "huh, this is alright. Wonder why I thought it was so bad." Then I listened to it for a third time. That's when my mind was blown. Radiohead had struck gold again. Only this time, they found diamond. This album is absolutely flawless, even if at first glance it's completely flawed. Just keep polishing the diamond, and only then will it sparkle. Expand
  56. Nov 15, 2011
    Easily an album that helped shape the music scene as we know it now. With the leap from the critically and commercially successful sound of OK computer they made what in my opinion is the greatest album of the 00's. Absolute perfection.
  57. Nov 15, 2011
    This is the greatest album of all time, in my opinion.
  58. Oct 26, 2011
    There are many bands out there trying to create great albums, and there have been many great albums made. The 90's were full of these albums, OK Computer, Nevermind and the past decade was full of them as well, Funeral, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. All of these albums are classics, people will listen to them for years to come. However, there is really no dispute among music lovers that theseThere are many bands out there trying to create great albums, and there have been many great albums made. The 90's were full of these albums, OK Computer, Nevermind and the past decade was full of them as well, Funeral, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. All of these albums are classics, people will listen to them for years to come. However, there is really no dispute among music lovers that these can touch anything in the likes of Sgt. Pepper. It would seem that in the past twenty years, while a lot of the music was great, none of it could stand up to the effect that the brilliance and innovation of some of the all time greats had. Kid A however does stands out. Everything to do with the album is very unique, the music is very challenging and not influenced by anything mainstream, the lyrics are dark and abstract, and the most unique aspect of all, it was not anything anyone else was even thinking about making. WIth albums like Nirvana's Nevermind, there were multiple bands that were also trying to come up with the pinnacle album for Seattle grunge rock, but with Kid A, no one was even expecting anything like it to come into existence. This album truly is one of a kind, and whether or not you like it, its uniqueness cannot be taken away. No album had ever been made using all of these concepts from underground genres of music. It opened the doors for countless other artists thats music would have otherwise remained ignored and it created a new direction for more mainstream genres to aim at. This kind of album can only happen every so often, and Radiohead executed it perfectly. They took all of these ideas these other musicians had and created something beautiful. There is no other album in the last two decades that can be compared to this album, and for that reason Radiohead will go into history as one of the all-time greats. Expand
  59. Oct 6, 2011
    Amazing album. It may not be the most accessible album (It took me a few listens to get into it), but it certainly is one of the best. Not like their earlier albums, but then again, every Radiohead album is different.
  60. Sep 14, 2011
    Radiohead continues being a great band by changeing their sound and its for the best. Bands have to evolve or they will become stale and boring but thankfully that won't happen to radiohead. Also this is my favorite album by them.
  61. Aug 7, 2011
    A beautiful and dark album. Well worth owning. This intricate album continuously gets better with each listen. Amazing cover art by Stanely Donwood. One of the best, if not THE best, album since the turn of the century. The timing couldn't have been better for the release of this masterpiece. A CD that captures the paranoia and electronic age of the 21st Century as well as incorporatingA beautiful and dark album. Well worth owning. This intricate album continuously gets better with each listen. Amazing cover art by Stanely Donwood. One of the best, if not THE best, album since the turn of the century. The timing couldn't have been better for the release of this masterpiece. A CD that captures the paranoia and electronic age of the 21st Century as well as incorporating relevant political and environmental issues. Solid all the way through. Perfect for late at night. Expand
  62. Aug 6, 2011
    Along with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, this album defined the 2000s. Thom Yorke is an unnerving genius. Probably their best record. Perfect for losing your mind.
  63. Jul 11, 2011
    The sheer ingenuity and depth of the album astounds. I think many of its more vehement critics on this site have failed to grasp the allusions to apocalypse - and indeed the comparisons of it with our own world. "Cheap sex and sad films" bemoans Thom on the final track, seeing where our own real lusts lie. The music complements this beautifully; too many have been expecting straightforwardThe sheer ingenuity and depth of the album astounds. I think many of its more vehement critics on this site have failed to grasp the allusions to apocalypse - and indeed the comparisons of it with our own world. "Cheap sex and sad films" bemoans Thom on the final track, seeing where our own real lusts lie. The music complements this beautifully; too many have been expecting straightforward rock. The fact that Radiohead can experiment with dissonance, glitch and extended instrumental techniques shows thier vast versitility as musicians. Expand
  64. Jun 2, 2011
    By far the darkest-sounding, most artistically significant album to be released this millennium. Kid A will go on to inspire millions of people around the world. This was the follow up to Radiohead's break-out record, Ok Computer, and WHAT a follow up this is! It separated Radiohead from all other bands and has redefined what music is. It's an EXCRUCIATINGLY difficult record to get into,By far the darkest-sounding, most artistically significant album to be released this millennium. Kid A will go on to inspire millions of people around the world. This was the follow up to Radiohead's break-out record, Ok Computer, and WHAT a follow up this is! It separated Radiohead from all other bands and has redefined what music is. It's an EXCRUCIATINGLY difficult record to get into, but once you start understanding the point of it all you will fall so deeply in love that you'll listen to it over and over again for weeks. Try to connect to the lyrics; read the pitchfork review it explains everything pretty much perfectly. This album is what it sounds like to be one of the best bands in the world, destroy yourself, and then slowly put yourself back together and take the top pillar in most people's music libraries (at least for new music). Expand
  65. May 25, 2011
    It's a beast for sure, but one that will reward you with time.
  66. May 6, 2011
    If I had the choice, I would give up this album just so as to stop Amnesiac spawning, though I would miss great songs like Everything In Its Right Place, Optimistic, Idioteque and Morning Bell (which directly led to Morning Bell/Amnesiac, which was weak compared to the original, to say the least).
  67. Apr 12, 2011
    I really don't know what to say about this one.
    I really don't know what to say about this one.
    Ok... so I can hear the creativity and effort that's been put into this record, and it is a cool mix of atmospheric sounds.. but that's all it is really - there are no recognizable words or any normal song structures. It's just sounds. But interesting sounds. You can listen to meditation/electronic music and hear almost the same thing. I think people are rating it "best album of the decade" because it's so different that you don't really know where to put it. Well... it can't be 'perfect' really.. there are a handful of not so good tracks. But the rest are interesting listens. I'll give it props for being so different...
  68. Apr 5, 2011
    I don't doubt the time and effort put into this album, wonderful technique, and ability. From an objective stand point though, if you're not shuffling through the gray streets of london, you need to put on something else. This album is to Radiohead as Something in the Way was to Nirvana. Not terrible, but I'd rather hear Dive. Get me?
  69. Feb 22, 2011
    Upon first listen I can see why old school Radiohead fans won't like this album, I didn't either. After a few listens though the album grew on me. Radiohead took a leap of faith here by making an album totally opposite of their past masterpieces (The Bends & OK Computer). This transition kind of reminds me of Dylan going acoustic. His loyal folk fan base was horrified and didn't wantUpon first listen I can see why old school Radiohead fans won't like this album, I didn't either. After a few listens though the album grew on me. Radiohead took a leap of faith here by making an album totally opposite of their past masterpieces (The Bends & OK Computer). This transition kind of reminds me of Dylan going acoustic. His loyal folk fan base was horrified and didn't want anything to do with him after that. Thankfully artists make music for themselves and what that is and what the fans want may be two different things. If artists just stuck to their roots we they would never be able to grow intellectually and musically. Kid A is a fantastic album and is well worthy of all the praise it has and continues to receive and "Everything In It's Right Place" is one of the best songs of all time. Expand
  70. Feb 22, 2011
    What an amazing album. I'm a rather big Radiohead fan and this is easily their best work. The music is phenomenal and experimental, the bass is out of those world and The National Anthem is brilliant. Thom's vocals are solid and the drums are great. The album progresses very smoothly. If you think of it as a concept album (a terrorist attack or a dream are the two major options) it getsWhat an amazing album. I'm a rather big Radiohead fan and this is easily their best work. The music is phenomenal and experimental, the bass is out of those world and The National Anthem is brilliant. Thom's vocals are solid and the drums are great. The album progresses very smoothly. If you think of it as a concept album (a terrorist attack or a dream are the two major options) it gets much more interesting. Truly great album. However, the last track is one of my lesser liked Radiohead songs, but the rest of them are some of my favorite. Expand
  71. Jan 12, 2011
    Beautiful from Track 1 - Track 10 (Yes, even Treefingers) Just as good as OK Computer musically. But it's the album, the order of the songs, that make it so amazing.
    Calming, Dark, Haunting and Beautiful all in 40 minutes.
    Calming, Dark, Haunting and Beautiful all in 40 minutes.
    You can lay in a dark room and just get lost in its experimental, electronic beauty. IN-CREDI-BLE Please.... Please..... Listen.
  72. Jan 7, 2011
    Kid A is a very playful album. all sorts of musical elements in this album. Thom Yorke's voice soars high in this album. "The National Anthem" sounds like a track that is spiralling out of control. The opener "Everything In It's Right Place" sounds distorted, and "Idioteque" is like an electronic funk song that sounds amazing. All In All, Kid A is a very good album. B+
  73. Dec 29, 2010
    In contrast to what many mainstream critics said, Kid A is, without a doubt, one of the greatest albums of the previous decade. Kid A might or might not have been groundbreaking, but it is certainly one of the most challenging albums ever to have commercial success. Kid A had no official singles or music videos, yet it went to #1 upon initial release. Kid A is more of a piece of art ratherIn contrast to what many mainstream critics said, Kid A is, without a doubt, one of the greatest albums of the previous decade. Kid A might or might not have been groundbreaking, but it is certainly one of the most challenging albums ever to have commercial success. Kid A had no official singles or music videos, yet it went to #1 upon initial release. Kid A is more of a piece of art rather than being just another commercially passable album. It challenges you to hear what's on the album. Expand
  74. Dec 2, 2010
    I am a massive radiohead fan. and this is there greatest album. Radiohead is my favourette band and this does not dissapoint. Kid A and Optimistic are my favourette tracs from this album.
  75. Nov 19, 2010
    This album is quite literally perfect. I can't honestly think of anything bad to say about it, except that Treefingers should be a little bit shorter.
  76. Oct 30, 2010
    An album at the forefront of its time & a complete work of art. The first time I heard it it was like nothing I had heard before. The influence of this album will resonate for generations...
  77. Oct 5, 2010
    A truly wonderful album, with a few songs that probably experiment too far, and lose me a bit ("Kid A", "Treefingers"). A lot of these songs, though, still have a quintessential Radiohead sound, and the overall theme of the album is so different from "OK Computer". It feels like a natural extension to that albums feelings of being lost in the modern world of technology, with Yorke's voiceA truly wonderful album, with a few songs that probably experiment too far, and lose me a bit ("Kid A", "Treefingers"). A lot of these songs, though, still have a quintessential Radiohead sound, and the overall theme of the album is so different from "OK Computer". It feels like a natural extension to that albums feelings of being lost in the modern world of technology, with Yorke's voice now becoming part of that system of electronics, to great effect. For people stuck in the alt rock of "Pablo Honey", it will not be a very appealing sound. But those that loved the message of "OK Computer" will really get a lot out of this album, and it's among Radiohead's best. Expand
  78. Sep 7, 2010
    An absolutely groundbreaking effort and quite a gutsy change of direction after the phenomenal success of OK Computer (1997). I actually think Amnesiac is a bit of an improvement, but let's be honest, with a Radiohead album, there usually isn't much room for that. A lovely record.
  79. Sep 5, 2010
    thus album moves you from start to finish. it tells a rich story. it is radioheads finest and no album will ever top this. Some like Sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band and ok computer got close, to name a few, but not this good. A+ job. the best album ever.
  80. Sep 5, 2010
    It's ok if you don't like it. It's a piece of music you are either going to love or hate. It's not for everybody. This is my favorite album of all time. In fact, I think it's better than Abbey Road and Dark Side of the Moon. It is an album that truly lives up to the hype for me, unlike Arcade Fire's Funeral. Seriously, how can that album be in the same league as Kid A? It again shows thatIt's ok if you don't like it. It's a piece of music you are either going to love or hate. It's not for everybody. This is my favorite album of all time. In fact, I think it's better than Abbey Road and Dark Side of the Moon. It is an album that truly lives up to the hype for me, unlike Arcade Fire's Funeral. Seriously, how can that album be in the same league as Kid A? It again shows that we all hear things differently. Expand
  81. Aug 25, 2010
    Everything truly is in its right place.
  82. Aug 19, 2010
    To call Kid A a good album is an understatement, while not as diverse and as good song by song as its predecesor Ok Computer, Kid A may be better as a full collective album. Its one of those albums that it is almost required of you to listen from start to finish. While it is an album that definetely has a recurring musical theme, each song takes you to a different place, whether it beTo call Kid A a good album is an understatement, while not as diverse and as good song by song as its predecesor Ok Computer, Kid A may be better as a full collective album. Its one of those albums that it is almost required of you to listen from start to finish. While it is an album that definetely has a recurring musical theme, each song takes you to a different place, whether it be the chilling "Everything in its Right Place" to the near tear jerking "How to Disappear completely, to the anything but "Optimistic", to "In Limbo" which most certainly lives up to its name being confusing and without real direction (in a good way). Kid A while not Radioheads magnum opus, may be their most obscure, challenging, and most thought provoking piece of art, which it is nothing less than a piece of art. Expand
  83. fcof
    Oct 15, 2009
    After universal acclaimed "OK Computer" Radiohead turned out with a genius follow up... Of course they changed the formula, for better. Kid A is a representation of a worl-wide arena filler band, that turns out with their most groundbreaking still natural album to date.
  84. MoritzH
    Oct 13, 2009
    Morning Bell, Everything In It´s Right Place, Idioteque three of the best radiohead tracks ever.
  85. ChaiseW
    Sep 14, 2009
    Yes, Thom Yorke may be pretentious; yes, this album may be a tremendous departure from the anthem rock of OK Computer and The Bends; yes, it may be difficult to swallow the first few listens, but no, this album is not shit. Kid A redefined modern music, it created a genre of it's own by combining other genres from past decades. This album is essential, it is pivotal to all musicians Yes, Thom Yorke may be pretentious; yes, this album may be a tremendous departure from the anthem rock of OK Computer and The Bends; yes, it may be difficult to swallow the first few listens, but no, this album is not shit. Kid A redefined modern music, it created a genre of it's own by combining other genres from past decades. This album is essential, it is pivotal to all musicians who even think of creating a masterpiece of their own. Kid A destroyed the CD, but conceived the Mp3. Expand
  86. SteveO
    Aug 26, 2009
    Quite simply one of the greatest albums ever recorded. Not to everyone's tastes, but certainly to mine.
  87. LeahT
    Jul 28, 2009
    Radiohead's third straight masterpiece after The Bends and OKC. Simply stunning - a grower for some. But can anyone here claim to have ever heard a song more beautiful than "how to Disappear Completely"? I challenge it. Radiohead takes risks and consistently redefines genres. No one's ever written anythinglike The National Anthem. Yorke is a genius.
  88. TannerC.
    Jul 17, 2009
    The greatest album ever made.
  89. JordanS
    Jun 29, 2009
    Words fail me. A pioneering, post-genre masterpiece. Easily the best album of the 21st century. Period.
  90. leighm
    Jun 24, 2009
    The timing, the tone, and the music are perfect. one of the best records ever.
  91. NamaarB
    Jun 20, 2009
    Easily, one of the best albums of the last 25 years, hell EVER? Radiohead, Radiohead, Radiohead... this album is nearly flawless... One thing I must say though... Treefingers seems to get a lot of filler talk thrown at it... NOPE! great song.
  92. DominicB
    Jun 14, 2009
    Stunning album from the world's finest. Not a single weak track on this album (Yes, even Treefingers). It starts with 2 electronic masterpieces which sets you up for the rest of the album. Quality in every department. "How to Disappear Completely" is a stunning song and one of Radiohead's best.
  93. chrisn
    May 25, 2009
    For everyone who's criticising this album, i would love to see you do better with the help of 5 other people. chances are you will never, ever accomplish anything close to kid a. that is why radiohead have the recognition and you don't. i'd rather it stayed that way.
  94. TKOFOX
    May 22, 2009
    This album tells a story of simple men/women enduring complex ideas with johnny greenwood (etc.) composing the sound scape. Its brilliant. I wish more albums like this would come along. Until then.
  95. FionnK
    Apr 27, 2009
    this is an album that any one who plays music should be proud of they didn't only push them selfs but music as a whole its just a shame more don't fallow DON'T DO WHAT YOU THINK EVERYONE WANTS YOU TO DO DO WHAT YOU WANT TO.
  96. JohnR
    Apr 20, 2009
    A very good album by Radiohead but sparse in some parts which works for some songs and not for others. A great follow up to OK COMPUTER.
  97. TheConglomerate*
    Mar 16, 2009
    Music from another realm. Highlight: The eerie penderecki-like strings and thom's falsetto on 'how to disappear completely'. Stunning. Listening to the Kid A transports you to another place when listened to closely. I agree though, if you aren't interested in either modern electronica, jazz, or classical music then you wont really find much to like here. You need to Music from another realm. Highlight: The eerie penderecki-like strings and thom's falsetto on 'how to disappear completely'. Stunning. Listening to the Kid A transports you to another place when listened to closely. I agree though, if you aren't interested in either modern electronica, jazz, or classical music then you wont really find much to like here. You need to have your head outside a 'hits' mentality to appreciate this. Stunningly beautiful album. 5 stars Expand
  98. OzzL
    Mar 6, 2009
    A few great songs, and as a whole it's quite solid, but due to its lack of accessibility (took me a good few listens to get into it) I'd say it's one of their weaker albums. Although it's still really good.
  99. finul
    Dec 20, 2008
    Arguably the band's finest album yet, a follow-up to the already fantastic OK Computer. The album's electronica edge lost them some fans, but the eletronica tunes succeed ("Idioteque," "Morning Bell," "Everything in its Right Place"), as do more conventional rockers like "Optimistic." The best album of the new millennium thus far.
  100. GrantC.
    Nov 29, 2008
    Without a doubt, the single best record of the millennium, and one of the best of all time. Radiohead could have easily followed up with "OK Computer" II, but they did what impresses me more than anything a band could do. They completely destroyed their already phenomenal (and at one time superior, only on "OK Computer") sound, and completely reinvented it. The guts to do that is Without a doubt, the single best record of the millennium, and one of the best of all time. Radiohead could have easily followed up with "OK Computer" II, but they did what impresses me more than anything a band could do. They completely destroyed their already phenomenal (and at one time superior, only on "OK Computer") sound, and completely reinvented it. The guts to do that is unbelievable. It's not like Red Hot Chili Peppers' backwards movement from funk-rock rapping to melodic pop-rock, it was a risky movement, in contrast to their very safe move to more popularity. Radiohead could easily have ruined their careers with this album. It was a bold move. However, they did nothing near destroy their careers. Sure, they lost some fans to this abrupt change in course, but out with the old in with the new (and more intelligent in this case, haha) I always say. Through all Jonny Greenwood's magnificent guitar work, which is all incredibly impressive, I really think his mostly electronic synth work on "Kid A" is where he draws the fine line between being a great guitarist, and a genius. The whole album is a 21st century masterpiece. It honestly got me into liking electronic music (the electro-rock eased me into more pure electronic quickly). SImply, it's a must-have. Expand

Comparing this to other albums is like comparing an aquarium to blue construction paper.... It's the sound of a band, and its leader, losing faith in themselves, destroying themselves, and subsequently rebuilding a perfect entity. In other words, Radiohead hated being Radiohead, but ended up with the most ideal, natural Radiohead record yet.
  2. Spin
    Radiohead have completely immersed themselves in the studio-as-instrument--signal processing, radical stereo separation, and other antinaturalistic techniques. Even the precious Guitars--saturated with effects and gaseous with sustain--resemble natural phenomena rather than power chords or lead lines. Essentially, this is a post-rock record.... Kid A is not only Radiohead's bravest album but its best one as well. [Oct 2000, p.172]
  3. For an album that apparently grew out of the band trying to get away from melody, there's a lot of it here. They can't help themselves. They try to do a song with a robotic dance beat, load it up with bleak phrases like "laughing till my head comes off" and "take the money and run" and "this is really happening," call it "Idioteque" for chrissake, and what stands out are not the beat and not the phrases or the apparent concept of dance music being silly when horrible things are happening in the world, but the seven or eight different heartwrenching vocal lines and the amazing way they intertwine.